Do you have to be born in England to play for England

ali

Seems that the comments by Jack Wilshere (‘The only people who should play for England are English people") have sparked a twitter debate with Kevin Pieterson, who points out that Andrew Strauss, Chris Froome, Justin Rose and Mo Farrah weren't born in England but have represented the country. Alan Shearer has supported Wilshere's comments.

What do you think?

I think they should have spent a fair few years there and not just be able to move to the UK purely to play a sport and play for England, but i don't think they should have to have been born there.

My daughter is good at sport, won't ever make the olympics,lol, but if she did i would be happy for her to play for Australia as she has spent the majority of her life here and trained in her specific sport here, despite being born and spending her first 3 years of life in the UK.

Cal x

Was he just talking about representing England at football? I bet he was cheering Mo Farrah all the way in the Olympics and glad as everyone else when he got the gold.

I can see his point a bit. There should be enough English footballers born and bred to have a side that could challenge for the World Cup. same with cricket really. I can't see a problem having someone who moved there young and learnt the game and got all the coaching and chances there being included. It would be nice for them to give something back.

While ever the EPL clubs just bring in expensive tried and tested players form abroad and don't spend money and time having youth sides and promoting younger players into the first teams I can't see English football improving. The best players for England are still some of the older ones like Gerrard and Lampard. Can't see many youngsters coming through that will take over.

Jack Wilshire and a lot of other sports stars need to keep off twitter and facebook, airing their views and concentrate on being the best they can be at what they are good at.

There should be a 2 year residence clause at least. None of this buying in players stuff- not good enough.

I agree with a residency rule for any of the sports, my son had he been good enough to play international football, could play for England, Ireland and Australia because of the rules, however, truly, he has only ever been a citizen of England and Australia - but has an Irish grandmother.

I believe there is a 5 year residency rule for football.

I believe citizenship should be the requirement.

There was a situation last year where the captain of the UK Rugby team was not a citizen and was actually going to be deported after his visa ran out.

Quite simply, If you have the right to work in the UK it seems odd that certain jobs would be excluded to you. Its a job after all. Why that rule for England but not our local sides ? Im delighted that a belgian is now playing up front for us. COYBS :biggrin:

Quite simply, If you have the right to work in the UK it seems odd that certain jobs would be excluded to you. Its a job after all. Why that rule for England but not our local sides ? Im delighted that a belgian is now playing up front for us. COYBS :biggrin:

There are certain jobs in Aus that you have to be a citizen for.

If you make citizenship a requirement, then you just get countries rushing through people's citizenship so that they are eligible to play in a major tournament - what was the name of the cricket player the Aussies did this for before the Ashes? Don't have any problem with players like Pietersen etc - he's been in England for quite a while now. Plus he's kind of pretty.....

I think as migrants ourselves, it's a bit hypocritical to say someone can't represent a country because they weren't born there. How would we feel if we were excluded from all sorts of opportunities just because we weren't second generation Aussies?

The 5 year rule in Football is a FIFA rule, the Home Countries has recently agreed it has to be 5 years in education in that 'region' of the UK to qualify; before that you (or a parent/grand parent) had to be born in the 'country'. The FA in trying to get Januzaj would break this agreement (if they still can get him in 2015), which could potentially open the door for the other Home FAs to start capping any players born in the UK. Their is currently no such thing as English (or Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish) citizenship, so UK citizens can play for any Home International team under FIFA rules it's only the Home International agreements which stops this.

Incidentally has either Chris Frome or Mo Farah actually represented England at full international status?

If you make citizenship a requirement, then you just get countries rushing through people's citizenship so that they are eligible to play in a major tournament - what was the name of the cricket player the Aussies did this for before the Ashes?

Fawad Ahmed. Apparently the rule is that anyone who can make a significant difference to Australia's prospects of success can be fastracked, but they must be eligible anyway.

Haven't got a problem with that for the cricket*, they're on their arses and need some help.

*Unlike banning hotspot, which is just the Aussies running scared of facing up to four 6'7" English fast bowlers who are going to rip it past their ears.

Seems that the comments by Jack Wilshere (‘The only people who should play for England are English people") have sparked a twitter debate with Kevin Pieterson, who points out that Andrew Strauss, Chris Froome, Justin Rose and Mo Farrah weren't born in England but have represented the country. Alan Shearer has supported Wilshere's comments.

What do you think?

Born in england OR one or both of your parents being English ....the end ......

No grandparents ...no aunties or uncles ....no residency ...thats all b...cks ....

Whilst iam at it , if you dont sing the national anthem ...with gusto, and show some pride ...like the worlds rugby players do ....you dont play

Fawad Ahmed. Apparently the rule is that anyone who can make a significant difference to Australia's prospects of success can be fastracked, but they must be eligible anyway.

Haven't got a problem with that for the cricket*, they're on their arses and need some help.

*Unlike banning hotspot, which is just the Aussies running scared of facing up to four 6'7" English fast bowlers who are going to rip it past their ears.

i would love to agree with you ....but i feel it may be australias time again .....

Archived