Family visiting. What to do

VERYSTORMY

We have my brother in law, wife and kids (aged 7 and 6) coming early next year and would love ideas on what to do around Perth.

Problem. They live in central London, so aren't going to be impressed by city things. Their maternal grandparents live in a great house in the new forest where they spend a fair bit of time. All, even the kids are very well traveled - even the kids have done europe (all the time), north America and south america. So, culture to water parks are going to seem lame.

Beaches are going to be "oh, nice" - they go on holiday to some of the best in the world.

Any ideas?

There lovely people who would not complain, but, we want to give them things that can't / haven't experienced elsewhere.

Guest Guest66881

Pinnacles is a good but weird experience, anything involving dolphins is always a good memory, whale watching down south maybe, out into the never nevers for some hot sun and roo spotting.

I really like the ship-wreck museum and the prison and all our visitors have enjoyed those things, whilst your visitors are world travellers - I still think a picnic in Kings Park in the evening is a lovely relaxing site.

We are planning kings park.

We live in mandurah, so dolphins and things are on the list.

Don't think pinnacles will go down well (to be honest even as a geo they don't interest me let alone a couple of young kids)

It's the wrong time of year for whale watching (arriving early feb)

Have thought about Kalgoorlie but, it takes a fair chunk of time and their only here for 11 days.

Never heard of the ship wreck museum so that might be a good one. One of the kids is really into pirates.

Caversham Wildlife Park - was the favourite during our LSD in April. The Rio Tinto experience for kids at Kings Park and Kings Park in general (take a picnic lunch). Busselton Pier if you are headed out of Perth. Our kids absolutely loved Cottesloe Beach (and all the beaches) and our eldest swam with dolphins (Rockingham Encounters were fab!) for her 6th birthday - truly memorable!

We are planning kings park.

We live in mandurah, so dolphins and things are on the list.

Don't think pinnacles will go down well (to be honest even as a geo they don't interest me let alone a couple of young kids)

It's the wrong time of year for whale watching (arriving early feb)

Have thought about Kalgoorlie but, it takes a fair chunk of time and their only here for 11 days.

Never heard of the ship wreck museum so that might be a good one. One of the kids is really into pirates.

I like it better than the maritime museum and I still think it's a gold coin donation to get in. One of the nicest places we've visited in Exmouth - giant turtles on the beach and you can take a trip out to see the reef. My kids loved wave rock - but it's a long way to go for what amounts to about an hours visit.

I don't live in Perth so can't suggest anything but young kids love all sorts of odd things and are not necessarily impressed by the same stuff as us grown ups. As a parent if my kids are enjoying themselves then generally I'm happy and if we go somewhere that I love but the kids hate I'm not going to enjoy myself.

My advice? Relax and be led by your visitors. Have some brochures or something of places you think they may find interesting and let them guide you about what trips they might like to do. Unless I'm mistaken they are coming to see you, not have the great tour of Perth and surrounding areas. Go out for lunch/coffee, head to the local beach, have a BBQ in the park, go to an outdoor swimming pool. Offer to watch the kids while the parents go and do something by themselves. Lots of travelling can be quite boring for kids and can make them tired and grumpy, although some travel better than others, so I would be careful about planning too many trips to far flung places. Remember they will be jet lagged and tired for the first few days as well. And try and enjoy yourself.

Guest Ptp113
We have my brother in law, wife and kids (aged 7 and 6) coming early next year and would love ideas on what to do around Perth.

Problem. They live in central London, so aren't going to be impressed by city things. Their maternal grandparents live in a great house in the new forest where they spend a fair bit of time. All, even the kids are very well traveled - even the kids have done europe (all the time), north America and south america. So, culture to water parks are going to seem lame.

Beaches are going to be "oh, nice" - they go on holiday to some of the best in the world.

Any ideas?

There lovely people who would not complain, but, we want to give them things that can't / haven't experienced elsewhere.

WA only?

Rottnest

We had the wifes Sister, BIL and family visit us when their kids were about that age. They had lived in Bermuda and travelled a lot too. The kids are 23 and 20 now, one finished Uni and teacher training, one just starting uni, we saw them a few weeks back when we were on holiday. We had a week on Rotto when they were here and both kids remembered going to Rotto and said how much they loved it there.

All we did was get up early, take them fishing, out on bike rides, snorkelling swimming. We had an apartment on Geordie Bay, overlooking the Ocean and had barbies every night and then sat around playing board games, chatting, drinking and having a laugh. The kids were usually so tired they went to bed early so they could get up early the next day. A lot of time the kids liked being left on their own on the beach or to wander around doing there own thing

I think you might be overthinking things VS. Kids love simple things they can be left to do on their own. If they live in Central London they might love the peacefulness and safety of Rotto. Might do them good to not have everything organised for them and for them to find their own fun.

Can't imagine anything worse than a trip to Kalgoorlie.

There is a Koala park out in Byford. It's not great, but the only place in WA you can get proper close to them.

Also a small reptile park in Armadale while you are there.

Pinnaroo will allow you to see proper wild 'roos, can have a proper walk about too.

I think Pioneer World closed, but call and find out.

Adventure World. Not many water parks in the UK.

Are they here for Australia day or Chinese new year? As the fireworks are good out Burswood way.

For the adults :-

Depending on your funds, there are also helicopter rides from Burswood. Last year there was powerboat racing on the river too.

Anything on at the WACA? Bruce Springsteen is here in Feb for a few days.

The comedy Festival at the Astor is usually a bit later March/April.

There is a Koala park out in Byford. It's not great, but the only place in WA you can get proper close to them.

Also a small reptile park in Armadale while you are there.

Pinnaroo will allow you to see proper wild 'roos, can have a proper walk about too.

I think Pioneer World closed, but call and find out.

Adventure World. Not many water parks in the UK.

Are they here for Australia day or Chinese new year? As the fireworks are good out Burswood way.

For the adults :-

Depending on your funds, there are also helicopter rides from Burswood. Last year there was powerboat racing on the river too.

Anything on at the WACA? Bruce Springsteen is here in Feb for a few days.

The comedy Festival at the Astor is usually a bit later March/April.

Bruce Springsteen is sold out already.

If I was a kid from London I would want to see some Aussie wildlife and enjoy a bit of play time in the waves at the beach or at a water park

we are pretty spoiled here with Australia zoo and wet n wild, anything like that in Perth?

If I was a kid from London I would want to see some Aussie wildlife and enjoy a bit of play time in the waves at the beach or at a water park

we are pretty spoiled here with Australia zoo and wet n wild, anything like that in Perth?

Perth zoo is pretty good and we have adventure World. Not in the same league as wet n wild but it's OK for a day out. Would be great for someone coming from London.

Plenty of Aussie wildlife to be seen in it's natural surroundings without going very far.

Beaches and sea are brilliant. As a kid from Derbyshire we used to go to Skeggy or Rhyll for our holidays and I was never off the beach, it was just so different than what we had at home. Sometimes that's all that people want, different to what they get at home.

We brought our kids here on holiday at a 7 and 9. We were only here for 16 days as we also had a week Bali, but we ran out of time to do a lot of stuff, but what we did do, as others have mentioned, which our kids loved were Penguin Island, Rotto (of course). As our family members lived on the Mandurah canals and had a boat we went all round the canal system, so maybe hire a boat take a picnic and away you go.

We we did a boat ride up to Freo and back, but found it a bit much and a bit boring for the kids, but think in peak season they do shorter trips. Peel Zoo is also a good afternoon out, and not too far, we saw all the indigenous animals, petted and fed the kangaroos, stroked a Koala and had our pics taken, handled a snake, and they have lots of Tasmanian devils etc.

Lake Clifton and visit the winery perhaps. Even an afternoon on mandurah foreshore, couple of drinks. Don't forget, you've been here a while and sometimes forget what it's like from a tourists perspective. I know my family commented that they take what's on their doorstep for granted really, when we came think they started to see it again through our eyes. Also, what about a day in Bunbury, we've not been yet bit hope to go to the dolphin discovery centre.

Pick up loads of leaflets from the mandurah information office and maybe let them choose what they fancy seeing/doing? Hope this helps.

Loads of fab ideas submitted already. if you can pick up some bargain flights and a scoopon offer too I would recommend flying to Exmouth, 3 nights at the Novotel Ningaloo and lazy days up and down the Ningaloo Reef, Sandy Bay is just breathtaking when the sea is a millpond!!!

Closer to Perth, the Pinnacles aren't a whole day but still well worth seeing, why not drive up to Wedge Island, take the snorkel, boogie board and a lovely picnic and have a relaxing day in a lovely unspoilt secret place, drive the car right up to the shore, walk across to The causeway to the little island and take in the awesome ambience of somewhere not many Perthites go plus the history of the Shacks, how they came to be, the endeavors of those in the 30's and 40's, and the fact they'll possibly be gone in a few years, as the sun sets head to the Pinnacles, 20 mins drive away and do the Pinnacles at sunset...followed by a lovely drive home while the kids are blissfully snoring away from all the sun, sea and sand... Done it many times, it's one of the best days out in summer and no matter where in the world your relatives have been I'm certain they will love this too.

I'd do the night time Fremantle prison tour, plus you have the dolphin watching tours from Rockingham, we did both theses with visitors and both were really good. As previously said I. Another post penguin island is good day out, take a picnic and some fishing rods do a check to see if there are any outdoor cinemas on in February as well. Or you have the Captain Cook winery and chocolate cruises, as well as perth mint, take a trip up the swan valley for a wine tour, I think they have some in horse drawn carts?

Archived