Unemployment is climbing rapidly in Oz.

Fryertuck

Only come to Australia at present if you have a job, all Australia can offer now is sunshine, my wife and I have been here since last August, she is a Very experienced HR consultant, I a senior PM in construction and we can't get a job at any level, we have international experience and when you go for an interview you be told, oh you don't have Australian or Queensland experience, or you don't have a PR class visa which we do.

3/4 of the jobs on Seek are data base builders, recruiters no the situation call then they will tell you it's dire here.

There are not any roles out there, construction is dead here, mining the bubble has well and truly burst, oil & gas only has a pulse nothing more and to believe 6% unemployment forget it, every recruiter, every politician knows its at least 10-12% unemployment in Australia and climbing rapidly.

Dont come to Oz now, leave it 2 years this is far worse than the credit crunch in the UK, this is on the Spain- Ireland scale, it's damn expansive book on $5 a month living costs minimum and for that your just an existence.

People will jump on this saying us not that bad, my first to you is do you have a job...? If you do you will not see the big picture, I went for a job last week, I know the recruiter 420 applicants for a construction, and she was data base building only.

Dont come here, wait till it picks up, and we haven't hit the bottom yet, it's bad getting worse, 2 years maybe a better time but lets hope sooner because lots are heading back to the UK sadly. Paradise is still here but the dreams if living in it are over for now sadly.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What did Oz do before the mining boom?

Agriculture mainly.

Australia rode on the sheeps back. Wool was the best fibre available. Now man made fibres have taken over.

Add heaps of small dairy herds (upto 100 cows) you will not see many below 250 head now.

Add cereals. Add beef exports. Add market gardens etc

All these are still around, but farms need to be massive compared to 30 years ago. This has pushed small family businesses under. Kids don't want to work the farm, too much work for no income. Better to drive a truck at the mines.

the stuff is still under the ground ready to be dug up when prices increase enough to make it viable. Ups and downs, like any business really.

What did Oz do before the mining boom?

Everything...including mining. The "boom" was a spike, really.

Reading some of the comments on here you would get the impression that Oz didn't exist before the mining "boom".

It has actually been a two edged sword. As the AU dollar went up, other overseas exporters really suffered, particularly agriculture.

Only come to Australia at present if you have a job, all Australia can offer now is sunshine, my wife and I have been here since last August, she is a Very experienced HR consultant, I a senior PM in construction and we can't get a job at any level, we have international experience and when you go for an interview you be told, oh you don't have Australian or Queensland experience, or you don't have a PR class visa which we do.

3/4 of the jobs on Seek are data base builders, recruiters no the situation call then they will tell you it's dire here.

There are not any roles out there, construction is dead here, mining the bubble has well and truly burst, oil & gas only has a pulse nothing more and to believe 6% unemployment forget it, every recruiter, every politician knows its at least 10-12% unemployment in Australia and climbing rapidly.

Dont come to Oz now, leave it 2 years this is far worse than the credit crunch in the UK, this is on the Spain- Ireland scale, it's damn expansive book on $5 a month living costs minimum and for that your just an existence.

People will jump on this saying us not that bad, my first to you is do you have a job...? If you do you will not see the big picture, I went for a job last week, I know the recruiter 420 applicants for a construction, and she was data base building only.

Dont come here, wait till it picks up, and we haven't hit the bottom yet, it's bad getting worse, 2 years maybe a better time but lets hope sooner because lots are heading back to the UK sadly. Paradise is still here but the dreams if living in it are over for now sadly.

sadly to say your right And before you say I do not live in oz I know many that do and it is a similar story to yours. I would like to give a large thank you to the ones who caused the uk recession as I gained through the uk recession money wise. If I had gone to oz I would now be wetting myself.

I don't know any skilled person personally who does not have a job. I am unskilled and currently have 2. The description of Australia that keeps being banged out here bears no relation to the one I live in.

There you go OP, it's all in your head

I dnt think generalised views can b correct for everyone..I got a job, and got to pick out of many, im a nurse..my husband had no job to come to but got a job as a youth worker within 2weeks...had I listened to sweeping statements we may not have come..but maybe u just mean roles outwith care/health and that I wouldnt know abt x

It depends where you go. If you go rural it would be very,very hard. The big Eastern cities still have jobs available depending on what your skills are. You really can't rule out the whole of Australia just because a particular person with a particular skill can't find work.

I personally don't know anyone unemployed in Oz,although from what I've been reading on this forum,HR jobs are becoming very hard to get.Can you look for unskilled jobs?I know you'll probably reply back and say you did'nt move to Oz to become a cleaner or whatever but.....its better than nothing right?Actually I really dislike sweeping statements.Its like the recession here (UK).Some posters would have you believe half of the UK is unemployed,and what jobs there are,thousands are applying for them.I don't know anyone out of work,and I also know (I work for the NHS)that when we advertise for posts we don't get hundreds of applications either.

I don't know any skilled person personally who does not have a job. I am unskilled and currently have 2. The description of Australia that keeps being banged out here bears no relation to the one I live in.

I do believe that. It is possible to be well shielded from a recession.

I know that the UK recession has been harsh - but it has gone by completely unnoticed by me. Since I was made redundant in 2009 - I got a much better job in less than a month. I was contract for a year, before becoming permanent, so I managed to bank a load of cash which we are still sitting on. My wages have gone up and up. Everyone I know has a job and life is sweet. My house is even worth what it was in 2008.

But that is my perspective, and I know for a fact that many many people in the UK have suffered dreadfully over the past 6 years.

Just because it's not happening to you, that doesn't mean it's not happening. It will hit teenagers and early twenties first.

There you go OP, it's all in your head

yep, all the people I know who are struggling are clearly unskilled. I have two degrees and ICT qualifications plus 20 years experience (7 of which in Oz). I have never struggled to find work in the UK but am seemingly unemployable in Brisbane. My mates (Australians) who have fled Brisbane for Melbourne where IMO highly skilled, but likened the job application experience to banging their heads against brick walls. I don't have much insider experience as my mates working in IT recruitment have been made redundant. Not due to lack of IT jobs but because they were crap. I'd love to post a sarky remark about how if you're not crap and you try hard then there's plenty of jobs. Too scared that someone will take it seriously. On a positive note, I have heard reports that the market is much better for experienced people in Melbourne and people who have moved have got jobs down there. Brisbane is a very small market, v few senior opportunities, 99% who you know and a universal suspicion of anyone like me who'll give roles at a more junior level a go.

I do believe that. It is possible to be well shielded from a recession.

I know that the UK recession has been harsh - but it has gone by completely unnoticed by me. Since I was made redundant in 2009 - I got a much better job in less than a month. I was contract for a year, before becoming permanent, so I managed to bank a load of cash which we are still sitting on. My wages have gone up and up. Everyone I know has a job and life is sweet. My house is even worth what it was in 2008.

But that is my perspective, and I know for a fact that many many people in the UK have suffered dreadfully over the past 6 years.

Just because it's not happening to you, that doesn't mean it's not happening. It will hit teenagers and early twenties first.

Ive a 19 year old and a 22 year old and they both have jobs and so do all their friends but obviously there may well be people who are unemployed but the vast majority are employed that's a fact and an even bigger fact is the so called menial jobs a well paid as the national minimum wage is Australia is very high.

Ive a 19 year old and a 22 year old and they both have jobs and so do all their friends but obviously there may well be people who are unemployed but the vast majority are employed that's a fact and an even bigger fact is the so called menial jobs a well paid as the national minimum wage is Australia is very high.

Unemployment hasn't really increased yet - so I do not doubt what you are saying. Even if it does, the fact that your kids have jobs and something to stick on a CV puts them way above school leavers should they need to look for jobs. It's the current school leavers and uni grads that might find it a bit hard this year, then a bit harder the next. But I don't think anyone is forecasting Armageddon. It just won't be quite as easy as it has been.

My guess is min wage is the first thing the fed libs will hit if they get it.

absolute nonsense, you cant get work I am in NSW at present, I have turned down 3 jobs, got my new job in April just been promoted whilst still in Training, I think you are not doing all you can to get a job, personally I would do any job and then move on from there ... coming over from UK you are not unemployable but not as employable as in UK or any other country as soon as you get 1st job better will come but to make a sweeping statement that there is n o work is utter crap!

Sometimes ( often really) it is not a matter of what you know but whether you, personally, will fit into the company where you are applying for a job. They won't tell you that but it is absolutely the truth. In the long run it works out better that way for both parties in my experience.

Unfortunately you both have jobs that are not in demand in the current climate, at the end of the day it all boils down to supply and demand. HR is very difficult to get into, not impossible as I have managed it, but there are steps you have to take to improve your chances of getting a job in this field. There are still jobs out there but it is definitely harder. (I am based in Adelaide, so this advice is based on the Adelaide job market which I believe I have good knowledge of)

When a migrant tells me they can't get a job, the reason is usually because of 1,2 or 3 of these factors....

Their resume - it usually contains irrelevant information and is not targeted to the Adelaide/Australian job market and will contain information that is often going to hinder their chances or they have not put the correct information in for the job they are applying.

The jobs they are applying for. Migrants have unrealistic expectations of what jobs they will be able to get. I have lost count of the amount of times a migrant has told me they can do a certain job, they show me the advert, then I say 'have you got experience of this, have you got this qualification' errr no, but they still think they should get the job over the other 400 people that are applying!!!!!

Attitude/approach - I meet with the person for a coffee and after having a chat either their attitude or approach to gaining work is not helping them or it is something about them eg they are not creating the right impression.

Now some people are open to hearing this and some people aren't. I call it the Simon Cowell effect where someone who clearly can't sing goes on one of the talent shows and then for example Simon Cowell will say "you can't sing" and the person who thinks they can sing comes off stage and says "what does Simon Cowell know"!!!!!

It is possible to gain work, but it depends what you are open to. So for example I worked with someone that in the UK they were management level and managed a team of staff, were paid well and had great perks. They had worked for the same company for approx. 20 years. They worked at a company that sells/manages a product that is not sold in Australia and is not recognised here. So even though they work in an industry that is in demand in Adelaide, their skill set is hard to market to a recruiter. I found a job on seek that I knew they would stand a good chance of getting (but they would never have considered applying for), but I basically said to them you need to do this and say this and to be fair they did exactly what I told them to do. They got the job, it was initially for 3 months and has just been extended for another 3 months, it is a great 'foot in the door' opportunity and they are gaining valuable Australian work experience at an Australian wide recognised organisation. Now this person could easily have said I was a manager in the UK and that is the level of job I want, but in my opinion with that attitude they would still be sitting at home unemployed and the person I helped is smart enough to realise that.

Unfortunately you both have jobs that are not in demand in the current climate, at the end of the day it all boils down to supply and demand. HR is very difficult to get into, not impossible as I have managed it, but there are steps you have to take to improve your chances of getting a job in this field. There are still jobs out there but it is definitely harder. (I am based in Adelaide, so this advice is based on the Adelaide job market which I believe I have good knowledge of)

Usually when a migrant tells me they can't get a job, the reason is usually because of 1,2 or 3 of these factors....

Their resume - it usually contains irrelevant information and is not targeted to the Adelaide/Australian job market and will contain information that is often going to hinder their chances or they have not put the correct information in for the job they are applying.

The jobs they are applying for. Migrants have unrealistic expectations of what jobs they will be able to get. I have lost count of the amount of times a migrant has told me they can do a certain job, they show me the advert, then I say 'have you got experience of this, have you got this qualification' errr no, but they still think they should get the job over the other 400 people that are applying!!!!!

Attitude/approach - I meet with the person for a coffee and after having a chat either their attitude or approach to gaining work is not helping them or it is something about them eg they are not creating the right impression.

Now some people are open to hearing this and some people aren't. I call it the Simon Cowell effect where someone who clearly can't sing goes on one of the talent shows and then for example Simon Cowell will say "you can't sing" and the person who thinks they can sing comes off stage and says "what does Simon Cowell know"!!!!!

It is possible to gain work, but it depends what you open to. So for example I worked with someone that in the UK they were management level and managed a team of staff, were paid well and had great perks. They had worked for the same company for approx. 20 years. They worked at a company that sells/manages a product that is not sold in Australia and is not recognised here. So even though they work in an industry that is in demand in Adelaide, their skill set is hard to market to a recruiter. I found a job on seek that I knew they would stand a good chance of getting (but they would never have considered applying for), but I basically said to them you need to do this and say this and to be fair they did exactly what I told them to do. They got the job, it was initially for 3 months and has just been extended for another 3 months, it is a great 'foot in the door' opportunity and they are gaining valuable Australian work experience at an Australian wide recognised organisation. Now this person could easily have said I was a manager in the UK and that is the level of job I want, but in my opinion with that attitude they would still be sitting at home unemployed and the person I helped is smart enough to realise that.

Hope some people heed this great post. But I expect they will blame Australia like the clowns on the other thread comparing it to Ireland.

So, what you are saying is, take a big knock back on career. A big knock on salary and a big knock on lifestyle. Particularly for more senior staff. It begs the question as to why bother. Oz has the highest working hours in the developed world. Some of the highest cost housing. Some of the highest cost of living and your answer is to take a cut?

Usually when a migrant tells me they can't get a job, the reason is usually because of 1,2 or 3 of these factors....

It is possible to gain work, but it depends what you open to. So for example I worked with someone that in the UK they were management level and managed a team of staff, were paid well and had great perks. They had worked for the same company for approx. 20 years. They worked at a company that sells/manages a product that is not sold in Australia and is not recognised here. So even though they work in an industry that is in demand in Adelaide, their skill set is hard to market to a recruiter. I found a job on seek that I knew they would stand a good chance of getting (but they would never have considered applying for), but I basically said to them you need to do this and say this and to be fair they did exactly what I told them to do. They got the job, it was initially for 3 months and has just been extended for another 3 months, it is a great 'foot in the door' opportunity and they are gaining valuable Australian work experience at an Australian wide recognised organisation. Now this person could easily have said I was a manager in the UK and that is the level of job I want, but in my opinion with that attitude they would still be sitting at home unemployed and the person I helped is smart enough to realise that.

So, what you are saying is, take a big knock back on career. A big knock on salary and a big knock on lifestyle. Particularly for more senior staff. It begs the question as to why bother. Oz has the highest working hours in the developed world. Some of the highest cost housing. Some of the highest cost of living and your answer is to take a cut?

But it's probably not a pay cut because jobs are ( mostly) better paid here. In on twice as much as a Home Help here as I was as a Civil Servant in the UK!

Archived