Unemployment is climbing rapidly in Oz.

Fryertuck

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you check the paper work? It may have been done by an unlicenced cowboy.

We moved into our terrace house in Gee Cross in the UK. Typical first time buyers end terrace, built in 1890 but had been refurbished by a builder, all done as cheap as he possibly could though. First thing we noticed was a smell of fumes like gas fumes sometimes in the kitchen. We had a cellar and the boiler for the central heating was down there. Luckily we knew a plumber who came up to check it out and found it had a balanced flu when it should have had a chimney up to the roof. Boiler wasn't made for a balanced flu but it would have been cheaper. Result was when the wind was in the wrong direction poisonous fumes were blowing straight back into the house.

We renovated the house ourselves and when it came to rewiring we wanted to move some of the plugs and switches around. We were stripping the plaster off anyway so the mess didn't matter. I took one of the light switches off the wall and pulled the cable to get it out the plaster, expecting it to go straight up the wall. It zigzagged all over the place and pulled off a heap of plaster. Every switch, power point had the same. The "electrician" must have had heaps of cable spare and just hid it under the plaster. I could carry on with plumbing and brickwork stories but to make a statement that the standards are somehow higher in the UK than here is complete crap.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite all the doom and gloom, specially about the mining industry, I heard a bit of good news from some friends yesterday. One of their sons left school and went straight into a bank. He's been there ever since and has recently got married, got a house and a youngster on the way. He's been sick of the bank for a long time, just feels he's in a rut I guess. He has just managed to score a job FIFO truck driving. He starts this week with a course I guess to drive the trucks and then goes up for his first swing next week. He's going to be on a 2 on 1 off swing but on over $100,000.

There are still jobs out there and this guy didn't have any experience in mining at all. He knew someone who got him the interview which always helps.

Just had an email from the AusIMM which is the professional organisation for mining professionals in Australia, so that Geologists, Mining Engineers, Metallurgists etc. The unemployment rate amongst members has gone from 1.9% in mid-2012 to 10% in mid-2013. Their unemployment is defined as anyone not currently employed but actively seeking work in the industry, and does not include those who have retired, are studying or on parental leave. There is also a marked increase in those people who define themselves as being under-utilised (e.g. consultants working 3 days a week).

Just had an email from the AusIMM which is the professional organisation for mining professionals in Australia, so that Geologists, Mining Engineers, Metallurgists etc. The unemployment rate amongst members has gone from 1.9% in mid-2012 to 10% in mid-2013. Their unemployment is defined as anyone not currently employed but actively seeking work in the industry, and does not include those who have retired, are studying or on parental leave. There is also a marked increase in those people who define themselves as being under-utilised (e.g. consultants working 3 days a week).

The underemployed rate is now I believe about 11%. I expect the percentage of unemployed exploration geologists is a LOT higher.

Geologists, Mining Engineers & Metallurgists seem to be getting it worst at the moment from anyone I have spoken to in the industry. Was talking to a Geo at the weekend and he has been unemployed in Australia for 3 and a half months now with not much hope of picking up a job anytime soon. It really is such a cyclic industry

Yep, is cyclic, but this downturn seems to be harder and sharper than most. It has been a perfect storm for the industry as normally, the downturn is just a slow down in metal prices. But, the credit crunch and lack of investors willing to do risk is significantly increasing the problem. So, where as in the past, metal price reduction meant a slow down, there would be options still in juniors for exploration. But the juniors can't raise funds now, so it's acting like a multiple whammy for this in the industry.

I spoke to a mate yesterday who was laid off from my last job at Newcrest back in march and he still has not even had an interview. He had a minimum wage job in a factory, but was retrenched from that yesterday.

Archived