Even I think its not good.

KIRK AND CO

Guest The Ropey HOFF

That's 46% more than what my wage is set to rise, I don't think it's sustainable TBH. Will you come back on in 2020 Kirk and let us know if it happened, I'm on tenterhooks thinking about it. ;-)

What's the deal with first time buyers putting down smaller deposits? Is that still available? What do you know about it?

When we went to see about it im sure they said the smallest was 20%, could of just been our circumstances though. There was a scheme where the government lent you the deposit and you paid it back over so many years. Was called the LIFT scheme i think. That was for scotland but there was the same thing elsewhere, just named different

Guest The Ropey HOFF
The fact that this is even of interest to you indicates that you have no intention of emigrating.

To be fair about it, if it's true, does it really matter? there's people on here who have never been to Australia and never say they will, it takes all sorts at least Kirk doesn't get nasty like some, not aimed at you and you can have a laugh with him.

I would say that could well be possible or at least 25%.

For those of you thinking it cant be sustainable, just look at Perth, average wages below $100K and a decent sized house is at least $750 in an area which isn't miles into nowhere. How has that been sustainable - well a lot of personal debt, thats how.

The UK is very cheap to buy anything at the moment in comparison to the rest of the world.

I would say buying a place in the UK is a good bet over the next couple of years, a lot better than Australia which I read yesterday it was poised to fall into reccession. I wouldnt buy here in Perth but I wouldnt think prices will fall either, they just wont go up for 5 years.

For those of you thinking it cant be sustainable, just look at Perth, average wages below $100K and a decent sized house is at least $750 in an area which isn't miles into nowhere. How has that been sustainable - well a lot of personal debt, thats how.

Yes, and interest rates are at record low levels in the UK and Australia. The level of personal debt may be sustainable with low rates, but if the rates rise you would have a problem. People on the edge now would not be able to sustain their debt, would have to sell and prices would fall.

I would say that could well be possible or at least 25%.

The UK is very cheap to buy anything at the moment in comparison to the rest of the world.

I would say buying a place in the UK is a good bet over the next couple of years, a lot better than Australia which I read yesterday it was poised to fall into reccession. I wouldnt buy here in Perth but I wouldnt think prices will fall either, they just wont go up for 5 years.

you may be right about the average wage being under 100k buts have to disagree on price of a decent house being 750k ...we bought last nov in a decent area for 440k just had it valued at 530k ..... so prices are on the rise in my area at least :biggrin:

mrs keily

...we bought last nov in a decent area for 440k just had it valued at 530k ..... so prices are on the rise in my area at least

Depends who is doing the valuation. If it's a lender they will use a qualified valuer and typically underestimate value; if it's an estate agent they will produce an "appraisal" rather than a valuation and they will typically overestimate. It's not uncommon for an estate agent to add 10-20% onto a valuation in the hope that you'll come to them for selling up.

Yes, and interest rates are at record low levels in the UK and Australia. The level of personal debt may be sustainable with low rates, but if the rates rise you would have a problem. People on the edge now would not be able to sustain their debt, would have to sell and prices would fall.

The interest rates in Aus can still fall though and a lot of economists are expecting a fall. The UK only has one way to go and that's up.

Depends who is doing the valuation. If it's a lender they will use a qualified valuer and typically underestimate value; if it's an estate agent they will produce an "appraisal" rather than a valuation and they will typically overestimate. It's not uncommon for an estate agent to add 10-20% onto a valuation in the hope that you'll come to them for selling up.

Agree but the crux of the post was to say you can get something in a nice area for a lot less than the $750K previously quoted. That's on the high side and you would get a really good property in a nice area for that and probably have choice of a few.

Here's just one in Mount Lawley, a much sought after area near the City on sale for $719,000.

main.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen

I have deleted, edited a number of posts on this thread (some may have been innocent but out of context now the thread has been tidied).

FYI - Admin do NOT care whether a member is moving to Australia, moving to the UK, or not moving at all. A lot of us first found the forum when a move was hopefully on the cards, for some this has changed due to personal circumstances (which they DO NOT have to share with others). These people may have made friendships on here and enjoy coming on and chatting with their friends. There are a couple of members now who are struggling to get out here or may have changed their mind, I would be devastated if they stopped posting as it's people like them that are the heart and soul of the forum.

Now please get back to the original topic

Agree but the crux of the post was to say you can get something in a nice area for a lot less than the $750K previously quoted. That's on the high side and you would get a really good property in a nice area for that and probably have choice of a few.

Here's just one in Mount Lawley, a much sought after area near the City on sale for $719,000.

main.jpg

God that's small....looks like a Wendy house....how much:eek:

God that's small....looks like a Wendy house....how much:eek:

It's a 3 bed place mate, who knows how far it goes back you can only see the front of the place. Deceiving some of those old properties. I could understand your response if I had whacked up a terrace but here's a detached place and your response is "it looks like a Wendy House". Lets have a look at a few of the thatched places round Stratford for a comparison eh!

It's a 3 bed place mate, who knows how far it goes back you can only see the front of the place. Deceiving some of those old properties. I could understand your response if I had whacked up a terrace but here's a detached place and your response is "it looks like a Wendy House". Lets have a look at a few of the thatched places round Stratford for a comparison eh!

It is teeny tiny: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-mount+lawley-114202163 Even the real estate photos show the rooms can barely hold minimal furniture. And telling that there's no floor plan.

Archived