Even I think its not good.

KIRK AND CO

Guest The Pom Queen
a lot better than Australia which I read yesterday it was poised to fall into reccession. I wouldnt buy here in Perth but I wouldnt think prices will fall either, they just wont go up for 5 years.

They say this every year never has yet.

Depends who is doing the valuation. If it's a lender they will use a qualified valuer and typically underestimate value; if it's an estate agent they will produce an "appraisal" rather than a valuation and they will typically overestimate. It's not uncommon for an estate agent to add 10-20% onto a valuation in the hope that you'll come to them for selling up.

maybe so but even if u take 30k of that figure ...it has still rose in value by 60k in 8 months ... so no complaints from me

mrs keily

Guest The Ropey HOFF
It's a 3 bed place mate, who knows how far it goes back you can only see the front of the place. Deceiving some of those old properties. I could understand your response if I had whacked up a terrace but here's a detached place and your response is "it looks like a Wendy House". Lets have a look at a few of the thatched places round Stratford for a comparison eh!

Houses in Australia are on average almost three times the size of houses in the UK, it does look small compared to the average Australian house, but it's likely it is far bigger than the average house in the UK.

maybe so but even if u take 30k of that figure ...it has still rose in value by 60k in 8 months ... so no complaints from me

mrs keily

I take it that it was an estate agent appraisal then. Look, I don't want to rain on your parade but the scale of increase you are talking about is out of line with national data that suggests Perth home prices are up only marginally against the rate of inflation: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/17464319/perth-home-prices-buck-trend/ If the estate agent inflated the price by between 10-20% that could account for all the supposed increase. If you want an accurate value, you have to get a professional valuer to do it.

Guest Guest66881
God that's small....looks like a Wendy house....how much:eek:

They go back a fair way usually, smaller bedrooms but full of charm, personally not our thing but it is a lovely area, what's your gaf like then PB?

They go back a fair way usually, smaller bedrooms but full of charm, personally not our thing but it is a lovely area, what's your gaf like then PB?

But look at the photos. The sitting room is barely twice the length of the piano and barely wider than the sofa. The dining room doesn't seem to have space for all the dining chairs to be used (the table has been put almost against the wall) and the bedrooms are barely big enough for the beds - shoving double beds up against walls is not a good look. This house is very well kept, but it is also very small, presumably designed for an age when people and furniture were smaller.

Guest Guest66881
But look at the photos. The sitting room is barely twice the length of the piano and barely wider than the sofa. The dining room doesn't seem to have space for all the dining chairs to be used (the table has been put almost against the wall) and the bedrooms are barely big enough for the beds - shoving double beds up against walls is not a good look. This house is very well kept, but it is also very small, presumably designed for an age when people and furniture were smaller.

Like i said not our thing, but very popular nonetheless.

One bedroom apartments go for similar money around that area, so to have bedrooms and a garden and all detatched is great value (in that area).

They have room for a piano and furniture in the same room? My Mum and Dad had a fairly big house, semi detached 3 bedroom, big garden. They had a piano in the front room and that would have been about the same as this place. Most of the houses where we had our house in the UK you wouldn't have been able to put a piano in, unless you also used it for sitting on. When my folks moved to Melton Mowbray they had to pay more than their house was worth in Chesterfield for a bungalow that didn't have enough room to put in the piano. They couldn't give it away, no-one wanted it.

The post wasn't really about the size of the place anyway though. It was in reply to someone saying you couldn't buy something in a decent suburb for less than $750k, which is clearly bunkum.

I just don't get the houses are bigger oz V's UK debate. It all depends in what area you live in any country, how much you can afford to pay, etc etc. I have visited people who own fab sized houses but I could never afford over 1 million for a property in oz. I have friends who own fab sized houses in UK, much cheaper but again, Sydney is not comparable to living in the country in North Yorkshire. I could never afford to buy a nice property in oz, but I could in York. Depends where you live like I say.

I take it that it was an estate agent appraisal then. Look, I don't want to rain on your parade but the scale of increase you are talking about is out of line with national data that suggests Perth home prices are up only marginally against the rate of inflation: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/17464319/perth-home-prices-buck-trend/ If the estate agent inflated the price by between 10-20% that could account for all the supposed increase. If you want an accurate value, you have to get a professional valuer to do it.

houses in my area are going up at an incredible rate I have been keeping an eye on them even although ive already bought ...we will however be getting it valued in nov by the bank as we wana do some structural work .....and to be honest I wouldn't believe everything or come to that anything the papers say about real estate ..... there is obviously a demand for housing in my area and therefore pushing the prices up .... although we don't plan on selling anytime soon so not real money in our pocket

mrs keily

houses in my area are going up at an incredible rate I have been keeping an eye on them even although ive already bought ...we will however be getting it valued in nov by the bank as we wana do some structural work .....and to be honest I wouldn't believe everything or come to that anything the papers say about real estate ..... there is obviously a demand for housing in my area and therefore pushing the prices up .... although we don't plan on selling anytime soon so not real money in our pocket

mrs keily

All depends on area doesn't it. They must be going up round us too, For sale sign out one day, under offer pretty soon after. Guess it's got to slow down someday but no sign of it yet. I reckon there is still plenty of money to be made in the newer estates North and South. Anywhere near the Ocean that aren't established yet and in a few years it should be worth a lot more. Not that it does you any good if you like where you are living and don't want to move, it's just pie in the sky.

We used to get letters from the bank all the time about borrowing money against our house to go on holiday, buy a new car, have a bigger amount on our visa, get an American Express Gold Card. There is the road to ruin in my eyes. We just used to bin the letters every time.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I just don't get the houses are bigger oz V's UK debate. It all depends in what area you live in any country, how much you can afford to pay, etc etc. I have visited people who own fab sized houses but I could never afford over 1 million for a property in oz. I have friends who own fab sized houses in UK, much cheaper but again, Sydney is not comparable to living in the country in North Yorkshire. I could never afford to buy a nice property in oz, but I could in York. Depends where you live like I say.

It's based on overall averages.

The article we read is about home sizes in the UK. The Brits' homes are actually the smallest, on average, for all of Europe!

US: 2,300sf

Australia: 2,217sf

Denmark: 1,475sf

France: 1,216sf

Spain: 1,044sf

Ireland: 947sf

UK: 818sf

It's based on overall averages.

The article we read is about home sizes in the UK. The Brits' homes are actually the smallest, on average, for all of Europe!

US: 2,300sf

Australia: 2,217sf

Denmark: 1,475sf

France: 1,216sf

Spain: 1,044sf

Ireland: 947sf

UK: 818sf

That and walking round just about any suburb should tell you that, on average, Aussie houses are bigger than ones in the UK.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
That and walking round just about any suburb should tell you that, on average, Aussie houses are bigger than ones in the UK.

Obviously you can get a good sized house here in the UK, no one is saying you can't, it's an average size thing, like you say, just looking round the suburbs in Oz, you can see they are a lot bigger, what struck me were the lack of semi detached, terraced houses and flats, they are everywhere in the UK, but I hardly saw any in Australia, I know there is some, but they are in the minority, but in the UK they are the majority, which is why the average size is so small compared to the average size in Australia.

Well this is all sounding good to me actually!

We bought our house in London in December having had our offer accepted in August 2012 when the housing market was at it's lowest point. Our house is a little two bed place with good size garden. If the UK market goes up the way it's supposed to then we should be moving over to Oz 2016ish with a good deposit (plus savings) in our pockets and having lived somewhere so little even the smallest Perth homes should feel roomy by comparison.

Obviously you can get a good sized house here in the UK, no one is saying you can't, it's an average size thing, like you say, just looking round the suburbs in Oz, you can see they are a lot bigger, what struck me were the lack of semi detached, terraced houses and flats, they are everywhere in the UK, but I hardly saw any in Australia, I know there is some, but they are in the minority, but in the UK they are the majority, which is why the average size is so small compared to the average size in Australia.

Have you been to East Perth? Aussies tend to do upmarket terrace and flats.

Have you been to East Perth? Aussies tend to do upmarket terrace and flats.

They had a big chance with East Perth to whack in few nice boozers right by the river and make it a really nice area to visit. A bit of competition might have kept the prices down too. The pub there is nice and it's a good place to have a walk round BUT the one pub is expensive and they charge the earth for parking. Only been once, heaps of places to go where you can park free and have a selection of places to eat and drink.

Great outlook though and a lot better than it used to be.

I honestly don't know why people coming to oz think that having a big house is summit special ..... they are harder to heat / cool down .....take a lot more upkeep and if ur a couple or on on ur own then most of the rooms are never used except for visiting rellies ...we only bought a 4x2 as our daughter, partner and grandson are currently living with us .... but give it a few years and we will be downsizing :biggrin:

mrs keily

I honestly don't know why people coming to oz think that having a big house is summit special ..... they are harder to heat / cool down .....take a lot more upkeep and if ur a couple or on on ur own then most of the rooms are never used except for visiting rellies ...we only bought a 4x2 as our daughter, partner and grandson are currently living with us .... but give it a few years and we will be downsizing :biggrin:

mrs keily

For a lot of people, us included, a 4x2 in the UK was beyond our wildest dreams.

Archived