Do we underappreciate London?

Red Rose

Depends how much money one has, how old we are a lot of things. Personally I like what a city offers but know I could not live in centre of any. All cities are concrete jungles and depending on the day what it feels and looks like.

Tokyo would be the place I find most appealing in cities, the Japanese are so polite, the trains so quick etc etc.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutely love the place. the buzz the vibe, even the fact that people really don't give "a fiddlers fart" (as Dublin4 put it) who you are or where you're from as long as you get along. It's an exciting place, every part is slightly different and it's the best city for walking around - you can really get lost walking around it.

In 2002 we had some Americans studying at West Point come over and we all went to Scotland for a 3 week exercise then a weekend off when we got back. They were supposed to just sit out at Sandhurst for the weekend but I said to one of the blokes to ask if he could come back to London with me, and he was allowed.

Friday night (I was skint) so we walked about four miles to a pub to meet all my mates. He was 20 and, as a good upstanding American, had genuinely never drunk alcohol before so he had a great night.

The Saturday I took him up to town and we went on a big walking tour of all the big sites. When we got to Downing Street I thought I'd use my patter and went up to the copper on the gates, flashed my MOD90 and said I was showing an American Officer around London and he'd love to have his photo taken outside No.10. So the copper says "OK, in you go" and we walk down. When we get to No. 10 I take his photo and then the door opens and the guy goes "come in" and we went in and I took some more photos of him inside 10 Downing Street. The guy just couldn't believe it and was going "this would never happen at the White House".

It sums up what I love about London - a little bit of gift of the gab and anything's possible.

OTOH I can fully understand people not liking crowded cities and it being a bit fast paced for a lot of people.

Absolutely first class place to visit and spend some time. To live there, Im not sure. It was always on my 'bucket list' (along with live and work abroad among others :biggrin:) . Its a mission to get anywhere and I think day to day living would grind you down after a while.

On the flip side the buzz and vibe as others have said just cannot be matched apart from New York in my opinion.

I also get annoyed at the lazy daft stereotypes you got back in Scotland, the big favourite being 'no one talks to you on the tube'. What a load of pap. The only people talking to you on public transport in glasgow or Edinburgh are jakies and drunks. I also think if youre young, single and dont know a soul London would be a great place to head as theres so many in the same boat.

As the original poster said I think living down under we forget how lucky we are. I was living in one great city (Edinburgh) and could hop on a train and be in the centre of London in just over 4 hours.

I too have come to love London later in life. I lived there for 3 years as a student and never really made the most of it (youth: wasted on the young). I also lived within 30 mins train journey into central London for a lot of my adult life but again, never really took advantage.

It was only last year when we as a family went back to the UK on holiday and spent a few days sightseeing (Buck house, London Eye, Big Ben, all the cheesy stuff but we LOVED IT) that I really opened my eyes to its charms.

London pubs, the sights, the tube, the architecture, the food, the culture, the diversity, the buzz: I love everything London has to offer.

I lived about six years in central London from 76 until 82 and we only moved out when we planned to start a family and needed more home for the money--by becoming a commuter we could afford a decent house with a garden rather than a small flat. Even after moving outside London I became a commuter and travelled in five days a week.

Even after moving into the home counties I still loved London and, baby sitters willing, we'd still head in for the theatre, restaurants and so on. I love theatre, particularly musicals, and London is one of only two cities in the world with a thriving theatre scene. Personally, I think London tops New York in that regard.

​Every time we visit the UK we allocate at least a few days to spend in London visiting all our old haunts--love it there.

London is like no other. Love the place. So much to do and appreciate. The history and just that general feeling you get when you are in front of places like Big Ben , London bridge ect . I am always like a Japanese tourist in London , running around snapping pics of everything. I could happily live there in a nice apartment. I even enjoy the tube, once I worked it out. Brits definitely take it for granted. Without London England would not be England. Australians I met there and few of my friends love the place. We have nothing here like it. My family on the other hand never go there, can't stand it. There missing out.

I'd also like to add how clean the place is nowadays. The buses are sparkling, and the streets are relativity litter free.

There was a litter problem for years, the problem was the litter bins being taken away due to the IRA threat but now the bins are back (in most places) and its made a huge difference. I'll echo the previous poster views on transport, the tube runs like clockwork, its astounding how it moves so many people around, most run every 2-3 mins.

We now have the borris bikes too...

I would just echo what most others have said.....it is a great city.....I spent many years doing the club scene, the chunnel, leisure lounge, camden palace to name a few....then spent many more years doing the family thing, Natural History musem, Science museum, V&A, Tate....then theres places like covent garden, westminster, st pauls, the area around pudding lane, camden, leicester square or you can just stroll.....there are just so many places for a tourist to visit so much history and architecture....London is actualy a cheap city to spend a day in.....travel is cheap....parking is cheap and free in some places......musems are free.....plenty of cheap food outlets.....and if all else fails you can just people watch.....in my late teens/early 20's I lived at the end of the tube line for a while.....I would love to live in the heart of London, Camden, Fulham, Hammersmith but with the cost of housing and a young family its just not possible.....I am content enjoying it from a short drive away.

Just wanted to add that I/we have never felt threatened in London, be it during the day or at night.

Love and very much miss London. I went to uni in London, lived in a shared house in putney..had many happy memories visiting my uncle who produced a footy show on sky..so got to mix with a few famous folk at the weekend..loved it! I went back a few months ago and feel in love with the place all over again...I wrote a list of all the things I loved and took for granted...

I would just echo what most others have said.....it is a great city.....I spent many years doing the club scene, the chunnel, leisure lounge, camden palace to name a few....then spent many more years doing the family thing, Natural History musem, Science museum, V&A, Tate....then theres places like covent garden, westminster, st pauls, the area around pudding lane, camden, leicester square or you can just stroll.....there are just so many places for a tourist to visit so much history and architecture....London is actualy a cheap city to spend a day in.....travel is cheap....parking is cheap and free in some places......musems are free.....plenty of cheap food outlets.....and if all else fails you can just people watch.....in my late teens/early 20's I lived at the end of the tube line for a while.....I would love to live in the heart of London, Camden, Fulham, Hammersmith but with the cost of housing and a young family its just not possible.....I am content enjoying it from a short drive away.

Just wanted to add that I/we have never felt threatened in London, be it during the day or at night.

Agree probably the best city in the world. Plenty of things to do cheaply. I could not really imagine elsewhere in UK,apart from Brighton and a few places in Sussex. Perhaps St Albans at a push.....

I guess we all take it for granted at times but was always pretty much content there apart from the odd rental issue. The regular flow of international folk staying by me served to remind me that it was somewhere special and taking folk around further confirmed that.

Wouldn't probably have stayed there with kids but as a single or a couple a great place to be.

Born and bred in London but its taken me until now to realise that London is by far the most beautiful, diverse, buzzing city in the world bar none. Its amazing and this time of year its all of that but even better..

That in red. Spot on. I am not from London but moved there when I was 25, lived centrally for 11 years, then moved to Herts before coming over here. I made the most of my London years I think, it was a great age to live there, at first money was tight but it got easier. There are a few cities I love, New York is another and I also love Sydney. But none will ever top London. I hope that one day I will be able to get an apartment there. Going for a quick trip in October, a week in London, bliss.

its mad I live an hour away but only been about 3 times! want to go there and do alll the touristy things....need to persuade paul or ill be going with friends

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get yourself over there this weekend. That is an order. :wink:

Im wanting to visit. I was thinking august as long as i can get the money together! Probably be norma no mates but maybe i could stay in a hostel and meet people? Plus that would save money. Oi stacy you better come and meet me lol.

I want to do all the touristy things like buckingham palace (since i dont remember it, only got the pics), all the other usual things. Harry potter for definite!! Go on one of the red buses etc.

Im wanting to visit. I was thinking august as long as i can get the money together! Probably be norma no mates but maybe i could stay in a hostel and meet people? Plus that would save money. Oi stacy you better come and meet me lol.

I want to do all the touristy things like buckingham palace (since i dont remember it, only got the pics), all the other usual things. Harry potter for definite!! Go on one of the red buses etc.

You should go and study there and make the most of it while you're young. As a lot of people have said if you are relatively unattached (and like big cities) then it is paradise - a giant playground for adults ;-)

You should go and study there and make the most of it while you're young. As a lot of people have said if you are relatively unattached (and like big cities) then it is paradise - a giant playground for adults ;-)

I did actually consider it because theres two that do occupational therapy and also a few in parts of england nearby to london. I dont know if i'd like the hustle and bustle, i do like a buzz but i get fed up of being squashed on trains and people walking into me on the street. So i'd maybe get fed up of it after a week! Hopefully i can come down for my visit and then see what i think. My mums been a few times in the last few years and she loves it

My adopted home, and god I miss it!. I've never felt more alive than when I'm there. I really get that it's not for everyone, but it has an energy and a grandeur that over-rides the bad stuff as far as I'm concerned. Love the pubs, the great shopping, the depth of culture, fantastic places to eat, beautiful parks, amazing views, breathtaking architecture and a profound sense of history. As a city it just seems to dwarf everywhere else I've ever been. One of the things I particularly miss is the ease with which you can cross a city of it's size. When I was back there recently I went from a mate's house in Harlow in Essex to another mate's place in Docklands in just over an hour. I can't imagine being able to do that anywhere else by public transport. Also, it's a city where you can get what you need when you need it. Retailers with extensive product lines, speedy home delivery, choice!!!. I can't wait to go back again :smile:

London is amazing just for the fact that you have boris as a mayor lol he cracks me up everytime i see him on tv. I think he should be PM!

I think the Borris bikes are a great idea, but I am too scared to cycle through London.

By the way, there are places in London you could live which have a `villagy' feel to them such as Hampstead (pricy, mind), Greenwich and Blackheath, St Margarets etc....and the great thing about these places is they are all near these fantastic parks, which give you the `breathing space' you need in London. I, personally, love Greenwich, and the view from the park is amazing...

GreenwichPark.jpg

GreenwichPark.jpg

He just makes me laugh with his bright hair and he always seems to say something silly lol. the only place in london i could ever afford is a houseshare in a shoe box!

I did have a look at "live in" jobs though, like bar ones and hotel ones so you get a room for free or cheap and could work in london for the summer season

I think the Borris bikes are a great idea, but I am too scared to cycle through London.

By the way, there are places in London you could live which have a `villagy' feel to them such as Hampstead (pricy, mind), Greenwich and Blackheath, St Margarets etc....and the great thing about these places is they are all near these fantastic parks, which give you the `breathing space' you need in London. I, personally, love Greenwich, and the view from the park is amazing...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19115[/ATTACH]

Guest hoffer

Having spent the last 16 years (im only 32) working in London i think for me its lost what i used to love about it. Rush hour on the central line sums the place up for me really although places like Richmond are very nice with the village feel others have mentioned. Still great for a thursday post work beer though i dont think i would ever tire of that part.:biggrin:

Guest chris955

A (Brisbane) friend lived in London for 12 months and absolutely loved it, one of the things was that he cycled everywhere and he said he found London drivers so much more courteous and 'friendly' compared to Brisbane.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19115[/ATTACH]

Was watching a show on policing London's bike thieves the other night - I was googling for bike locks and got distracted :) - and it reminded me again what an achingly beautiful city London is in parts. Some parts of London are exactly what a city should be and beautiful beyond words...I want a parallel life where I can wander endlessly in London with a bottomless wallet...my nirvana...even better if Boris's bike lane plans come to fruition and I could cycle around....youtube scares me with all the crazy London cyclist/car videos...the more cycle friendly London becomes the better city it will be imo: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/mar/10/boris-johnson-plan-to-make-cycling-fun. Well done Boris, wish we could swap you for Quirk Newman who have small minded city vision...

Archived