Not sure whether we should go to Oz- arrrggghhhh

russ and claire

Oh dear I'm having a major wobble about trying to move to Oz!!!! :arghh:

I think what has happened is that Russ said he wanted to think long and hard about Oz and asked for 6mths to think about it, where as I had already decided that I would like to give Oz ago. Well I thought 'what happens if Russ said no?' so I thought about the positive things we have here- family, a nice home, eldest in a good school, close friends, we could do our garden up, the countryside/forests, we are 5mins drive from the beach, wouldn't have to sell the house to move, costs so much to move to Oz, will have to get a loan to cover the costs until we sell the house. The reasons to go to Perth- friends, beach, out door life, job opportunities, my boys hate cold weather etc... if we sell the house we would be bring $15,000-$20,000aus with us. So now cause I had 6mths to really think about things, I'm now not sure.

Also what puts me off is the amount of negative posts about Perth/Oz (I'm not complaining about it) Also I am concerned about how expensive Perth is and the costs of housing etc... we would be relying on Russ's nursing pay only until the boys have settled and I get a part time job.

I just don't know what to do :arghh: I want to go, cause of the adventure etc... but we have responsibility and if we don't like it then we can't afford to come back, it is such a gamble. Its all I think/worry about now.

Please be gentle with your replies. Sorry if it doesn't make sense Im trying to type this whilst 3yr old is distracting me :twitcy:(now to go and play batman)

Claire

Agree with above but understand the attraction of elsewhere. Only you can answer if you stand to gain more or less bt emigrating.It is an expensive business and with kids in tow just adds to the uncertainly. I'm sure I'd be the same in your shoes considering undertaking a major lifechange.

At least nurses are pretty much in demand. As for the rest I can't offer much but don't burn bridges. You could come on the agreement of staying a year to see how it goes. More like a working holiday......and a change of scene. Not so scarey then......

:biglaugh::biglaugh: yep live in Gosport or as we call it Gospit :biglaugh::biglaugh:

LOL! I grew up there.

To be honest, there are far worse places to live in the UK - at least you DO have nice countryside, the New Forest nearby and OK shopping in Portsmouth and Southampton. Downside is that dreadful road getting out to anywhere, though. The High Street is seriously bad, too.

I'd agree with others - try Perth for a couple of years.

LOL! I grew up there.

To be honest, there are far worse places to live in the UK - at least you DO have nice countryside, the New Forest nearby and OK shopping in Portsmouth and Southampton. Downside is that dreadful road getting out to anywhere, though. The High Street is seriously bad, too.

I'd agree with others - try Perth for a couple of years.

The high street is dreadful but like you said it is close to southampton and the new forest. Thankfully Russ only works 5mins away at the hospital.

Claire

If you're concerned about Perth why not look at other states? I'm sure Nurses are in demand all over.

Whatever happens, in 20 years time do you want to look back and say 'I'm glad we gave oz a go' or 'I wish we just gave it a go'.

Oh dear I'm having a major wobble about trying to move to Oz!!!! :arghh:

I think what has happened is that Russ said he wanted to think long and hard about Oz and asked for 6mths to think about it, where as I had already decided that I would like to give Oz ago. Well I thought 'what happens if Russ said no?' so I thought about the positive things we have here- family, a nice home, eldest in a good school, close friends, we could do our garden up, the countryside/forests, we are 5mins drive from the beach, wouldn't have to sell the house to move, costs so much to move to Oz, will have to get a loan to cover the costs until we sell the house. The reasons to go to Perth- friends, beach, out door life, job opportunities, my boys hate cold weather etc... if we sell the house we would be bring $15,000-$20,000aus with us. So now cause I had 6mths to really think about things, I'm now not sure.

Also what puts me off is the amount of negative posts about Perth/Oz (I'm not complaining about it) Also I am concerned about how expensive Perth is and the costs of housing etc... we would be relying on Russ's nursing pay only until the boys have settled and I get a part time job.

I just don't know what to do :arghh: I want to go, cause of the adventure etc... but we have responsibility and if we don't like it then we can't afford to come back, it is such a gamble. Its all I think/worry about now.

Please be gentle with your replies. Sorry if it doesn't make sense Im trying to type this whilst 3yr old is distracting me :twitcy:(now to go and play batman)

Claire

Claire , when i left the u.k for oz in 89 with my wife , we had nothing to lose ........houses in oz were cheap .....wages were high .

We had no kids ......it was a no brainer

I liken it to a game of pontoon ( 21 ) .........i had been given 2cards that amounted to 12 .....do i gamble and ask for another card ?........of course you do

You on the other hand have got 2 cards amounting to 19 ........do you twist again or stick ?

How much will hubby have to earn , to give you the equivalent life over there ?.........before taking into account family etc

I've been feeling exactly the same, we originally wanted to go to Perth however have now decided on Adelaide and put a lot of work into researching areas etc and it really feels like its the place for us.

im also a nurse with 2 kids and we will be living on my income only until the youngest starts school and my husband can get some work, it's a scary thought especially when you read posts from people saying you needs 100s pa to live and others saying you will get by great on what your likely going to earn.

I think it's only normal to have doubts, we don't live in a nice area at all, however we do have the disposible income that means we could move areas if we decided to stay in the UK however I'd much rather stay in the crappy area and use the disposible income on savings for oz.

My husband and I have discussed it a lot and both agreed that if we go and it doesn't work out, we'll move back and forget about it, we won't dwell on having just spend our life savings on a holiday !! :)

Guest The Pom Queen

We all question ourselves, wonder if we are doing the right thing. If Russ had said no you would have probably wanted Oz even more. Personally I'd give it a go. I wouldn't sell your house yet, give yourselves 12 months and see how it goes.

Guest The Pom Queen
I've been feeling exactly the same, we originally wanted to go to Perth however have now decided on Adelaide and put a lot of work into researching areas etc and it really feels like its the place for us.

im also a nurse with 2 kids and we will be living on my income only until the youngest starts school and my husband can get some work, it's a scary thought especially when you read posts from people saying you needs 100s pa to live and others saying you will get by great on what your likely going to earn.

I think it's only normal to have doubts, we don't live in a nice area at all, however we do have the disposible income that means we could move areas if we decided to stay in the UK however I'd much rather stay in the crappy area and use the disposible income on savings for oz.

My husband and I have discussed it a lot and both agreed that if we go and it doesn't work out, we'll move back and forget about it, we won't dwell on having just spend our life savings on a holiday !! :)

Have you looked on the Adelaide forum http://www.pomsinadelaide.com

Just ask yourself and think what is it going to be like here in 10 years time or in oz for that matter, and also when youve settled in oz everything is relative anyway, wages etc. Who says that in time you need to stay in Perth. Our house is going on the market this week and nobody has had the wobbles like me but ive decided to me that life richness is greater than wealth and that has made my mind up for me as iam never going to be rich. someone on here put how expensive shopping is in oz is and then quoted a bottle of water at 4 dollars, the reply was why buy that water (imported) when ozzie water is 50cents a litre. Everything is relative

Guest jaqmaria
The high street is dreadful but like you said it is close to southampton and the new forest. Thankfully Russ only works 5mins away at the hospital.

Claire

This is difficult one to answer. I arrived in Perth 6 weeks ago. I have 2 cousins here whom love the place an there is no doubt Perth is laid back and is friendly from what I have seen. I have found Australians to be really friendly as well and Driving here no worse than the Uk. I think the Uk is has good and bad and so has Australia. I am going to give it a go here and to be honest if you want to work an remake it work you will. The only thing I miss is my son and his partner and baby girls and my parents. I side track here. So for Perth being expensive. It is if you work on the poor exchange rate yes but you must not do that. Food is like for like if you worked at the old exchange rate so try not to do that, you will be earning dollars. I will give you an example my daughter aged 20 came out a month before me with her baby 15months and. Partner who is only on a working holiday visa. So she had to get the job with no qualifications. She secured a job inPerth city within 3 weeks, applying for jobs daily and she now works for a small company on 20 dollars an hour a better min wage than UK and she will get help equivalent to family tax and will get child support, so they will survive on one wage until hr partner manages to get work. They are in a holiday rental until feb and they are actively looking for a home to rent in Rockingham, which has a reputation, but I am fussy and thinks it is absolutely fine as a starting point. Quite safe and easy to reach on train line. Let me try and reach the point as I go on. Cars expensive but insurance dirt cheap. Bed linen is expensive as are shoes and clothes not really fashionable but eh, you don,t need a lot here it's hot. it all really balances out to be honest and once you work, I am a nurse by the way and have joined an agency HCA. I have not worked yet as we have took time to try an durable first but have been lucky to stay with relatives. But agency rates great if you have years of experience. My cousin I am staying with showed me there outgoings, her husband earns take home of 800 per week she works part time an stakes home 342 a week. They pay 350 rent and pay for nursery and gym cost and now pay a mortgage on top for a house they are having built costing 350000, they are not left with much at the end of each week as they are covering 2 homes right now but manage to eat well and are happy. If you want it to work you will. The only pull will be family and friends as Perth is. Agra place to bring up a family from what I have observed. Please feel free to ask as I have now droned on. All the best and even though I am homesick I will never regret giving it a go, but I have left my home rented out back in the uk, which you may not be bale to do but if you can consider that first.

I think we would regret not going to be honest and also that life isn't a dress rehearsal and that we should grab at life and live it! Does that makes sense?

Perhaps we need a positive Perth thread and no negatives can be written on that thread :biglaugh:

I'm not a fan of positive only threads,I'm afraid. I'm sure making such an investment folk want to know the inns and outs of a place they are considering making home.

Better to get both sides and ignore what you consider of not being of use.

Perth has a massive UK born population and is still the main destination. So your not alone as it's been done countless times every day. You aware it is not cheap and some of the potential pitfalls. Adelaide could indeed be an alternative. Cheaper than Perth but closer to the Eastern seaboard so Melbourne is in easy reach.

I'd give it a year seriously and see how it goes. It's worth seeing something different and perhaps some of the neighbouring countries as well. Just keep the options open for an easy return. Australia works for some and not others,obviously.

I cant tell you wether you should come or stay

But your post concerns me in the fact that we all have wobbles, but they normally kick in once countdown has started, flights booked, house sold/rented etc. Yours have come at the start when a lot of people wouldnt see past the excitment of coming to Oz.

I do think its good though, that you are really weighing up what you actually have in the UK. I thought i was bored of my job in the UK. I really didnt realise how lucky i was. I would love a job like that here.

Oz maybe for you but maybe not at this exact moment in time. 10 years ago if someone had suggested i move to Oz, i would have laughed, i was having a great life in the UK, didnt feel the need to go anywhere else. When we did decide to go for it, it was the right time for us and im so glad we did.

As has been said i think if you do come, dont sell your house if you possible can, maybe get Russ to take a career break rather than leave, then if its not for you it will be easier to slot back into your old life.

For the record I love living in Perth and really dont get the negativity surrounding it

Thank you for all your great replies :)

I think I will try and see if we can afford it without selling the house, because I think it is that,that is giving me wobbles as it feels so final. I think we would regret not going too.

I think Russ may get approx $75,000 basic (he has 10yrs post qualification experience) please let me know if this is wrong.

If you can do it without burning any bridges - house, jobs, schools etc then go for it and see if it floats your boat. If you have to burn bridges either career wise or otherwise economically then consider that it is just another first world country with all that entails, nothing magical about it and, in reality, you wouldn't miss much by not going, other than a bit of adventure for a few months but you could save up and get your adventures on holidays just as easily. Good luck with your decision!

I think there are questions you havent gone through yourself.

You mention better career. But, are you sure of that. Its almost every day we are seeing things in the media about problems with the health service in WA.

You talk about the beach. But, as someone that lives opposite a beach, you quickly realise that its really not that important. Other than to walk the dog, i dont think i have actually been this summer yet. After the first couple of years it just becomes boring. In fact, looking back we probably had more beach days on holiday when we lived in the UK.

The outdoor lifestyle. Personally, i have found that people are no more outdoors than the UK. Beaches are often too windblown on an afternoon to go to, parks are small and with the exception of Kings, not really up to much compared to the big parks in the UK. Heat can be oppressive mid summer when it climbs over 40. Winter is pretty wet - Perth has a higher rainfall than London.

I think you need to get a better idea of what you are coming to

Archived