Why are so many Britons leaving Australia?

Guest liddell92

You need to vent your frustrations on those who have done the servey not me, clearly the thousands of ex pats they asked to collate the figures are incorrect, because you know a handful of folk who are opposite. Bringing your kids back to the UK for a better life when theres over one million youths out of work, might be a bit hoff the mark.

Its not all gloom and doom here Hoff,my daughter went straight from uni to a job,and no gap in between!(much to her dismay!She was looking forward to abit of time off).I wonder what the percentage of youth are out of work in Australia?Another survey anyone?lol

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Its not all gloom and doom here Hoff,my daughter went straight from uni to a job,and no gap in between!(much to her dismay!She was looking forward to abit of time off).I wonder what the percentage of youth are out of work in Australia?Another survey anyone?lol

Unemployment is almost half in Australia to what it is in the UK, so whatever the figures are, it's far better in the land of plenty downunder. Yer can't believe the serveys anyway, apparently there's a big conspiracy against the UK and in favour of Oz, lol.

Guest Guest63690

Hi Melza, same with me. I actually do not know anyone who is unemployed, even the young uns, but we do live in the South so I am sure that has a lot to do with. The uk has higher unemployment that Australia, but both countries have their woes, and with things starting to look a bit iffy for China growth wise, which Australia relies upon so heavily, no one should up root their family on the premise that their kids will have no job worries in the future.

Here are some like for like (eg Australia and UK side by side) links for your info.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10604117

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/australia/unemployment-rate

Youth unemployment

http://www.smh.com.au/business/tough-times-for-young-job-seekers-20120302-1u721.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2188568/School-leavers-face-worst-outlook-20-years-work.html

Edited by Guest63690

the old phrase 'misery loves company' is probably quite apt. Happy people seek out happy people, unhappy people usually find the same as themselves.

Absolutely. Which is why many want to leave Australia. And which is why for me, people are not the focus; places are.

I know, I know! What with the 'whinging Pom' thing n' all, it's hard to acknowledge the incessant complaints by settled Australians, who do nothing but complain!

Occupy Wall Street are still there en masse. And the 'Poms' recently hung their politicians up by their balls, when they discovered that some of them were rorting their claimed allowances.

(It was hard for those poor impoverished sods though. They are paid a good deal less then Australian polishituns).

We are talking about Australia mate, not the UK, lol

But ...... A tiny minority don't like the weather in Oz.

I love three seasons-I find the summer intolerable. Many love it; I hate it.

I've only responded to this RH, because I feel so bashful at being referred to as 'tiny minority'.

My grateful thanks. 'Tiny' and 'minor' are just how I want to be described. You old flatterer, you!

Thats what the ...... INDEPENDANT serveys say as well, but ........ It's only important to me apparently. Lol

Don't believe what family says even if they are not reliant on you!!

I suppose, it would be only important to you if you do that.

But if you can find an independent source to tell you what you want to hear, that would be comforting.

(I really must learn to multi quote). :embarrassed:

easy, click on the png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABAAAAAQCAIAAACQkWg2AAAAEElEQVQokWNgGAWjYBTAAAADEAABC3uRhAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg== sign (bottom right of post you want to multiquote) and then click 'reply with quote'

:embarrassed:I really am! I see it; I clicked on it, but..em, how does it work?

It does mean that I can quote several different posts in one response doesn't it?

Got it. It appears that response to each post can only occur when they are all showing. Responses put after one post just disappeared.

Still, I've got it, thanks H.

Edited by Zee

Unemployment is almost half in Australia to what it is in the UK, so whatever the figures are, it's far better in the land of plenty downunder.

For now!

Australia is certainly not immune to huge fluctuations in the employments rate. Yeah it's great right now, but two years down the track, this land may certainly not be a land of plenty.

Unemployment is almost half in Australia to what it is in the UK, so whatever the figures are, it's far better in the land of plenty downunder. Yer can't believe the serveys anyway, apparently there's a big conspiracy against the UK and in favour of Oz, lol.

But do remember there are differences in the way things are measured.

Also, there are a fair few trades / skills doing it hard in Oz at the moment and some areas that have major unemployment issues. Kwinana in Perth which has traditionaly been a manufacturing hub, has now 10% unemployment due to a lot of factories closing.

The mining boom is coming to an end and the iron ore guys have started redundancies. More are fairly certain to follow.

A lot depends on individuals. None of my friends back in the UK have noticed the economic issues. Most changed jobs during it to higher paying / better roles.

For now!

Australia is certainly not immune to huge fluctuations in the employments rate. Yeah it's great right now, but two years down the track, this land may certainly not be a land of plenty.

On the radio they said Perth has suffered it's 5th consecutive quarter of fewer jobs being listed .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15799571

I found this really interesting article on the bbc website and just thought it would be interesting to see what other people make of it??

Don't know where that guy took his kids to the cinema but he must have bought all the popcorn in the place for $85 for 3 of them. Tight arse Tuesday is $12 a ticket and if you get a greater Union card it's $12 a ticket any time. 3D movies might be more but I don't like them anyway.

Don't know where that guy took his kids to the cinema but he must have bought all the popcorn in the place for $85 for 3 of them. Tight arse Tuesday is $12 a ticket and if you get a greater Union card it's $12 a ticket any time. 3D movies might be more but I don't like them anyway.

Come on Paul, you can't say a cost given is unreasonable just because the person does what most do - pay full price on a normal day. Lots of us don't go enough to justify a cinema chain card, and we don't go on Tuesdays either - with young kids you'd be getting them into bed at 9pm or later, not good on a school night

No, we go on the occasional Saturday along with loads of other people. Full price tickets cost $18-$20 for adults and about $15 for kids. 2 adults, 2 kids = $68, plus a bit of popcorn and a drink, that's easily $85 without "buying all the popcorn in the place"

OK, so we try and get deals where we can but they're not always available. The figure quoted in the article is entirely reasonable so I don't know why you've picked on it

You need to vent your frustrations on those who have done the servey not me, clearly the thousands of ex pats they asked to collate the figures are incorrect, because you know a handful of folk who are opposite. Bringing your kids back to the UK for a better life when theres over one million youths out of work, might be a bit hoff the mark.

Fustrations? Im not fustrated, I've lived in a few different countries in my time and from actual experience I know for a fact the UK will provide a better life for my family. Perhaps you are the one who is fustrated.....where have you lived?

I commented that the majority of ex-pats I have met are not so happy here and may I add its certainly more than a handful. I am bringing my kids back for a better quality of life an d getting to know and spend time with their extended family.......as for unemployment I don't actually know anyone in the UK who is unemployed or has lost their job and I'm not sure sending a 7 year old and two 5 year olds out to work would go down too well with the authorities!!! I'm certainly not worried!!

Perhaps you should try living here for yourself before deciding for other people where the "better life" may be.

Edited by Julz

Come on Paul, you can't say a cost given is unreasonable just because the person does what most do - pay full price on a normal day. Lots of us don't go enough to justify a cinema chain card, and we don't go on Tuesdays either - with young kids you'd be getting them into bed at 9pm or later, not good on a school night

No, we go on the occasional Saturday along with loads of other people. Full price tickets cost $18-$20 for adults and about $15 for kids. 2 adults, 2 kids = $68, plus a bit of popcorn and a drink, that's easily $85 without "buying all the popcorn in the place"

OK, so we try and get deals where we can but they're not always available. The figure quoted in the article is entirely reasonable so I don't know why you've picked on it

The quote was from a guy who said he took his 2 children to the movies and it cost $85. No mention of another adult, so already you've added that and no mention of popcorn and a drink. Made it sound like that was the cost of just going to the movies. So I don't think the way it was put down was "entirely reasonable".

2 adults and 2 kids = $68 sounds quite a lot less than saying I took my 2 kids to the movies and it cost $85.

The quote was from a guy who said he took his 2 children to the movies and it cost $85. No mention of another adult, so already you've added that and no mention of popcorn and a drink. Made it sound like that was the cost of just going to the movies. So I don't think the way it was put down was "entirely reasonable".

2 adults and 2 kids = $68 sounds quite a lot less than saying I took my 2 kids to the movies and it cost $85.

I really think you're splitting hairs here. $85 for a family trip to the movies is pretty much in the right area of how much it costs. I haven't "added" another adult - you've assumed there wasn't one. And fwiw if all 4 had popcorn and a drink itw ould probably come to a fair chunk over $85. 3 people with popcorn and a drink is probably about $85, without being bothered to work it out because it's not that important

If the bloke had come out with something outrageous like saying it was $120 or something, I think you'd have a point, but as it stands I don't think you do. It's like when you picked on someone's price for a swimsuit the other day, and said they could have bought a cheapo something in Target for a third of the cost. Sure they could - but it doesn't make the quoted prices unrealistic.

(It's not that much cheaper in the UK, if that makes you happier)

....................an' while we're on the subject; I'll need to check UK prices,-and even confirm if the one I'm about to quote is correct, or has riz:-

What are you paying to visit your Zoo? (To clarify for Paul1: I mean you. Just you. One person).

Adelaide Zoo entry is $35. Just to get in the gate.

If this is comparable to the UK, it's a bloody scandal.

....................an' while we're on the subject; I'll need to check UK prices,-and even confirm if the one I'm about to quote is correct, or has riz:-

What are you paying to visit your Zoo? (To clarify for Paul1: I mean you. Just you. One person).

Perth zoo is $22.50 for an adult, $11.30 for a child, $18.50 for seniors and concessions and 2 adults 2 children package $59.

I won't compare London zoo because that is unrealistic in terms of quality and size. Chester zoo is 18 quid for an adult and 14 quid for a child.