So Brexit now needs parliamentary approval?

srg73

brexit will make us rich! Actually, I'm doing alright out of it.
so am I double the national average wage, free health care and free gym membership..:cute:

p.s, all the experts said the pound would drop dramatically with a brexit vote before recovering, you aint no brain box mate else you would be in a top job...:wink:

Edited by Perthbum

so am I double the national average wage, free health care and free gym membership..:cute:

p.s, all the experts said the pound would drop dramatically with a brexit vote before recovering, you aint no brain box mate else you would be in a top job...:wink:

All the experts said that the UK would become the main world superpower by 2025 if it left the EU eclipsing the USA, China and Russia.

This citing of unnamed and unsourced experts is great, I can see why you like it so much. No logic and no thinking required.

Well the Government lost and the primacy of parliament is upheld and the democratic process is restored and the Government will be held accountable, we will not have a cabal making decisions behind closed doors like some coup in a south American or African dictatorship, why was May so resistant to democratic process, the time and money spent on trying to create an autocracy and keep Parliament from doing its job should be questioned and is now at the heart of the Tory party malaise of keeping matters secret.

Similarly where is the Labour party on safeguarding democracy and asking embarrassing questions, a complete shambles, a private individual had to do it.

Either they make the deadline for A50 by end of March or it will be another General Election.

Jimmy Krankie, Taffy and their one Tree Hugger mate have been shut down in the SC. Devolved assemblies are irrelevant.

Certainly if we do go to an early GE, it will result in a UKIP opposition, huge changes to the House of Lords, and may spell the end of the road for LIB/LAB.

As Nigel Farage said, 2017 will be a year full of huge political shocks.

Edited by Home and Happy

Well the Government lost and the primacy of parliament is upheld and the democratic process is restored and the Government will be held accountable, we will not have a cabal making decisions behind closed doors like some coup in a south American or African dictatorship, why was May so resistant to democratic process, the time and money spent on trying to create an autocracy and keep Parliament from doing its job should be questioned and is now at the heart of the Tory party malaise of keeping matters secret.

Similarly where is the Labour party on safeguarding democracy and asking embarrassing questions, a complete shambles, a private individual had to do it.

to right. Yay for democracy!

Either they make the deadline for A50 by end of March or it will be another general election. Jimmy Krankie, Taffy and the one tree hugger has been shut down. If theres another GE they may not have a job to come back to.

Please stop using all these abusive names for individuals that you like to demonise, they are as entitled to be heard and recognised just as much as your views are and might have more thought to underpin those views.

Demonising and and reducing people to caricatures seems to be a favourite ploy of the Right, it means you do not have to engage in a real consideration of an opposing view, however credible it may be

Either they make the deadline for A50 by end of March or it will be another General Election.

Why on earth do you think that? I can't see the UK Parliament voting for an early General Election. It would be like Turkeys voting for Christmas. Maybe they'll only be delaying the inevitable but delay it they will.

Why on earth do you think that? I can't see the UK Parliament voting for an early General Election. It would be like Turkeys voting for Christmas. Maybe they'll only be delaying the inevitable but delay it they will.
I don't understand what an election would achieve. Legally binding referendum if they can word it right.

I don't understand what an election would achieve. Legally binding referendum if they can word it right.

An election would achieve a change of government. It has absolutely nothing to do with a referendum (which according to the British constitution can never be legally binding regardless of the wording). An election can be called early by the PM (but they'll only do that if they think they'll win more seats with an early election than with a late one) or by a vote of no confidence (but that's Turkeys voting for Christmas, as I said, since all the parties are going to do badly - most of the MPs will not be returned).

Presumably Home and Away's logic is that the PM will make the Brexit vote a vote of no confidence to try to force it through - but that seems a very dangerous gamble (akin to Cameron agreeing to the Brexit referendum in the first place).

An election would achieve a change of government. It has absolutely nothing to do with a referendum (which according to the British constitution can never be legally binding regardless of the wording). An election can be called early by the PM (but they'll only do that if they think they'll win more seats with an early election than with a late one) or by a vote of no confidence (but that's Turkeys voting for Christmas, as I said, since all the parties are going to do badly - most of the MPs will not be returned).

Presumably Home and Away's logic is that the PM will make the Brexit vote a vote of no confidence to try to force it through - but that seems a very dangerous gamble (akin to Cameron agreeing to the Brexit referendum in the first place).

My shaky knowledge is that terms of office are fixed to stop manipulation of when an election is held, I assume therefore it would have to be a vote of no confidence and none of them, right or left are going to go for that at the moment, so it would need a complete a complete mess for it to happen

Jimmie Krankie is "fizzing" today.

She must be crying into her haggis n' neeps .

Why don't you stop playing the school yard joker, look what I can do Miss, Miss,' look I've p*ssed in his lunch and you can't do anything.'

it isn't even funny, just a bit pathetic, it raises a snigger and makes the kid look big and frightens Miss enough not to get detention, but my experience is it doesn't lead onto anything great, just a general level of dissatisfaction with people and institutions that refuse to snigger any longer because they have moved on.

No, not in this case, the Tories would get back in easily, they might do it if the Lords block article 50, the threat would be to take reform of the House of Lords to the election, the Lords wouldn't want the trough pulled out from under their noses.

All the experts said that the UK would become the main world superpower by 2025 if it left the EU eclipsing the USA, China and Russia.

This citing of unnamed and unsourced experts is great, I can see why you like it so much. No logic and no thinking required.

All the experts said that...wow....any links:wink:

Rubbish....Some MPs want the process slowed but they are vastly outnumbered by those backing the government, only ken clarke has said he will vote against so with a working majority of 15 means the bill is guaranteed to pass. The labours lib-dems and SNP will not make any difference as the tories are all for passing the bill except for clarke, no labour MP would dare vote against his constituency as they are mostly northern towns...it will pass with not any problems...

Rubbish....Some MPs want the process slowed but they are vastly outnumbered by those backing the government, only ken clarke has said he will vote against so with a working majority of 15 means the bill is guaranteed to pass. The labours lib-dems and SNP will not make any difference as the tories are all for passing the bill except for clarke, no labour MP would dare vote against his constituency as they are mostly northern towns...it will pass with not any problems...

Read and understand what is written.

I never mentioned votes for or against I was talking about democratic scrutiny of the process which is essential to avoid the country tipping into a one party state with decisions made by a cabal in secrecy.

Read and understand what is written.

I never mentioned votes for or against I was talking about democratic scrutiny of the process which is essential to avoid the country tipping into a one party state with decisions made by a cabal in secrecy.

The bill will pass and rightly so as the majority of people voted out, one party state...:biglaugh:

No, not in this case, the Tories would get back in easily, they might do it if the Lords block article 50, the threat would be to take reform of the House of Lords to the election, the Lords wouldn't want the trough pulled out from under their noses.
but most of the Tories want to remain, so what would be the point of an election? You would just get lots more lib Dems who also want to remain as labour fail and ukip split the Tory vote. Can't see an election achieving anything other than a hung parliament.

but most of the Tories want to remain, so what would be the point of an election? You would just get lots more lib Dems who also want to remain as labour fail and ukip split the Tory vote. Can't see an election achieving anything other than a hung parliament.

They all want to leave now.... Edited by Perthbum

Eh, most Tories want to remain?

The bill will pass and rightly so as the majority of people voted out, one party state...:biglaugh:

Do please look at countries such as Turkey, Russia, Turkmenistan as just one of the stans, Pakistan, any number of African nations, Poland teetering on the edge of losing its democratic safeguards, the modern history of Greece, Portugal, Spain, and understand how easy democracy becomes autocracy, Israel is in grave danger with Netanyahu encouraged by the election of Trump and a rising tide of populism and a lack of a popular opposition.

Do please look at countries such as Turkey, Russia, Turkmenistan as just one of the stans, Pakistan, any number of African nations, Poland teetering on the edge of losing its democratic safeguards, the modern history of Greece, Portugal, Spain, and understand how easy democracy becomes autocracy, Israel is in grave danger with Netanyahu encouraged by the election of Trump and a rising tide of populism and a lack of a popular opposition.
And? how could the UK ever become a one party state,

And? how could the UK ever become a one party state,

The UK could become a one party state if the Govt of the day is able to make decisions without those decisions being scrutinised in parliament.

Just read a little about what is happening in Poland and Turkey at the present time, it's not fantasy, it's not make believe, populism is a force that can be easily manipulated.