So Brexit now needs parliamentary approval?

srg73

Well, at least we have some clarity

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/16/theresa-may-set-12-point-plan-brexit-vows-clean-break-does-not/

At least we'll have the opportunity to say I told you so, one way or the other.

Well, I guess Brexit does mean Brexit if that's what happens, we can only hope they know what they are doing!!!!

Well May's speech is another load of platitudes, patriotism and extolling of past glories as a rationale for us leaving the EU.

The UK is not going to attempt to remain a part of the Common market, the Customs union or the EU courts.

Seemed to me to just be a restatement of the lack of understanding by a class of Brits who totally reject the idea of being part of Europe.

Seems that the central issue was, as some of us believed, immigration and that this is of greater importance than anything else.

Welcome to the isolationist UK, a 'great trading nation', the last time those words resonated was when the East India Company ruled the world , but that was 200 years ago and we were a great MANUFACTURING country, leading the world in production of steel and almost near monopoly of new inventions such as steam engines and steam powered looms.

May seems to be predicating all of her iniatives on the cooperation and sympathy of the EU and its constituent nations as we leave in order for the UK to be a successful, trading nation in competition with them, that may be somewhat naive, the whole idea of the EU was a trading federation to reduce down competition between states and here we are trumpeting that we want to be a successful, international trading state parked just off shore in competition with them.

Does it sound likely that the EU are going to facilitate that, we are back starkly to the 1930's world of competing nation states.

Trump has welcomed the idea of a Trade deal with the UK but he is business man who can smell when a business is desperate for a deal just to stay afloat, who imagines we will come as anything other than the junior partner in any such deal and we will be in that role forever now because we will have to have deals no matter what, we will never negotiate from a position of strength from here on in.

These conservatives just do not seem to understand that the world has irrevocably moved on from 1940 and that the clock cannot be turned back, we are a irrelevance to the rest of Europe and strutting around like puffed up Colonel Blimps will not change anything, 'we won the war and lost the peace', we have always had a love affair with the US and never seen our selves as part of Europe and Trump is just going to see us as a business opportunity, somewhere to expand his economy into and suck us into their savage capitalism arena.

And did I miss the bit where she promised all the billions we save by leaving the EU is going to go to the NHS to recreate a world leading health provider with everyone getting their varicose veins done immediately and immediate surgery for cancer, just querying.

You need to read more, she never said the money was going to the NHS you need to get up to speed, it was farage and the clown

Well May's speech is another load of platitudes, patriotism and extolling of past glories as a rationale for us leaving the EU.

The UK is not going to attempt to remain a part of the Common market, the Customs union or the EU courts.

Seemed to me to just be a restatement of the lack of understanding by a class of Brits who totally reject the idea of being part of Europe.

Seems that the central issue was, as some of us believed, immigration and that this is of greater importance than anything else.

Welcome to the isolationist UK, a 'great trading nation', the last time those words resonated was when the East India Company ruled the world , but that was 200 years ago and we were a great MANUFACTURING country, leading the world in production of steel and almost near monopoly of new inventions such as steam engines and steam powered looms.

May seems to be predicating all of her iniatives on the cooperation and sympathy of the EU and its constituent nations as we leave in order for the UK to be a successful, trading nation in competition with them, that may be somewhat naive, the whole idea of the EU was a trading federation to reduce down competition between states and here we are trumpeting that we want to be a successful, international trading state parked just off shore in competition with them.

Does it sound likely that the EU are going to facilitate that, we are back starkly to the 1930's world of competing nation states.

Trump has welcomed the idea of a Trade deal with the UK but he is business man who can smell when a business is desperate for a deal just to stay afloat, who imagines we will come as anything other than the junior partner in any such deal and we will be in that role forever now because we will have to have deals no matter what, we will never negotiate from a position of strength from here on in.

These conservatives just do not seem to understand that the world has irrevocably moved on from 1940 and that the clock cannot be turned back, we are a irrelevance to the rest of Europe and strutting around like puffed up Colonel Blimps will not change anything, 'we won the war and lost the peace', we have always had a love affair with the US and never seen our selves as part of Europe and Trump is just going to see us as a business opportunity, somewhere to expand his economy into and suck us into their savage capitalism arena.

Well said. Call me picky but Donald trump is the last person I'd want to do business with and the idea of depending on him to help us steer a way to a successful future does not reassure me in the slightest. Worrying.

You got it wrong, she was not even PM and was on the stay side, just admit when you drop a clanger

That was not my point, my point was that she was today saying that there would be savings from no longer paying into EU coffers and having now become leader of a party which was enshrining brexit as a policy and promoting those who sold Brexit based on spending 350m per week savings from leaving the EU on the NHS it seems to be not too great an intellectual leap to assume that she was agreeable to the general premise of the Brexit campaign given that she wanted to be prime minister.

She had an option not to put her name forward to be the leader of the party and say that she was ethically and ideologically opposed to the Brexit campaign which seemed to be her position before she had the chance to be leader, she didn't so therefore I can only conclude that she agreed with the campaign mounted by leading members of her own party.

Well said. Call me picky but Donald trump is the last person I'd want to do business with and the idea of depending on him to help us steer a way to a successful future does not reassure me in the slightest. Worrying.

He is a git of the first order, but he has done us a couple of favours in negotiations with the EU, still a git though.

The pound has rallied 3% on the speech so good news for Fisher.

Seems May opened her mouth and the currency went sharply higher.

hard to say as she spoke at the same time the inflation figures were released. Interest rates could be going up, or industry likes certainty, or both. Either way, I may buy some aud.

Footsie dropped 100 points too.

Edited by newjez

That was not my point, my point was that she was today saying that there would be savings from no longer paying into EU coffers and having now become leader of a party which was enshrining brexit as a policy and promoting those who sold Brexit based on spending 350m per week savings from leaving the EU on the NHS it seems to be not too great an intellectual leap to assume that she was agreeable to the general premise of the Brexit campaign given that she wanted to be prime minister.

She had an option not to put her name forward to be the leader of the party and say that she was ethically and ideologically opposed to the Brexit campaign which seemed to be her position before she had the chance to be leader, she didn't so therefore I can only conclude that she agreed with the campaign mounted by leading members of her own party.

you posted ........And did I miss the bit where she promised all the billions we save by leaving the EU is going to go to the NHS

hard to say as she spoke at the same time the inflation figures were released. Interest rates could be going up, or industry likes certainty, or both. Either way, I may buy some aud.

Footsie dropped 100 points too.

inflation rates have been the same for 3 weeks, it had nothing to do with that, a 100 points is an everyday account...the footsie is ate the highest for decade Edited by Perthbum

:biglaugh: you were wrong on the footsie and now you target inflation, you are a laff.........inflation at 1.6 is no big deal it is the price of oil that has raised inflation, not just for the UK but world wide...you really do not have a clue.

You are right that inflation at 1.6% is no big deal.......but the currency devaluation following the referendum last year was never going to impact until 2017 as businesses hold currency reserves to manage short term currency fluctuations. When goods and raw materials costs effectively rise by between 15 and 20% and that price rise is sustained, as it has been, this has to filter down to the prices in the shops. There are major benefits to UK business in terms of competitiveness with the devalued currency but the flipside is inflation. Sit back and watch the prices rise over the next 6 months.

May was in a hole really and it has been apparent for some time now that this was her only option.

Nevertheless I am concerned that the EU cannot really afford for Brexit to be a success for the UK; as it risks a wholesale break up of the EU.

May is relying on the fact that damaging the UK is not in the EUs interest either and that pragmatism will prevail in the negotiations. How on earth a comprehensive trade agreement can be brokered between the UK and the EU in just 2 years I cannot imagine.

:biglaugh: you were wrong on the footsie and now you target inflation, you are a laff.........inflation at 1.6 is no big deal it is the price of oil that has raised inflation, not just for the UK but world wide...you really do not have a clue.
if I was wrong on the footsie then why did I buy it and suggest parleycross does the same the day after the referendum? If I have been so wrong then why have I made a small fortune out of this debacle whereas you have pulled a few pints and spilt a bit of beer? I am wrong about nothing mate, and a sudden surge in inflation in a deflationary world is not normal.

As for May's speech, people may welcome the idea of a plan, any plan, maybe even a cunning plan, but the truth is she has promised the impossible and threatened the unthinkable if she doesn't get it. As her words get digested, she is beginning to sound as hollow as ozymandias.

Edited by newjez

The Scots need to rethink their attitude on this - We prefer to stay in Europe without England, and have Germany / France control our currency and fiscal policy.....really ?? What a great idea; because the Germans and the French will look after you, just as they looked after Greece. Why clamour to stay within an organisation that is in the first stages of a long and tortured demise? I think the SNP are a gutsy lot and have many legitimate grievances - but they really need to rethink this strategy, or is it just a red herring, designed to prompt another vote on independence?

The Scots need to rethink their attitude on this - We prefer to stay in Europe without England, and have Germany / France control our currency and fiscal policy.....really ?? What a great idea; because the Germans and the French will look after you, just as they looked after Greece. Why clamour to stay within an organisation that is in the first stages of a long and tortured demise? I think the SNP are a gutsy lot and have many legitimate grievances - but they really need to rethink this strategy, or is it just a red herring, designed to prompt another vote on independence?
bit of both methinks. But the UK was NEVER going to join the euro thank God. Why any nation would subject themselves to slavery under Germany is beyond me. But what May says that no deal is better than a bad deal is wrong. No deal is a bad deal. And it's not even a bluff. Everyone knows this. By adopting this line, with ratification from both houses of parliament, it's most likely that we will end up staying with a hung government in disarray. I'm not confident of the state of things in two years time. Cunning plan my arse.