Anyone feel they moved to the wrong state?

cartertucker

Guest Brissydeb
​Hi We moved to Melbourne in December 2007 , almost straight away , i knew i hated it, to fast to busy busy for me,Im a country girl at heart coming from the High Peak in Derbyshire i just felt intimidated i knew this was not where i wanted to be.

After 4 months we had a holiday to Qld on the Gold Coast and for the first time i felt totally relaxed and happy , i knew then we HAD TO TRY ANOTHER STATE before we gave in and returned to the Uk.

We had a great time with our friends and on our return we quickly made plans to relocate to Qld , ending up in the beautiful Sun shine Coast .This is where we called home, we married 18mths later and have just recently moved down to the Gold Coast where we are all very happy .This move was due to work commitments for my hubby.

What i can say is i am so happy we decided to try another STATE before we just jumped on a plane to return.I am now the happiest i have ever been and have no desire what so ever to return to the Uk at all, even though my eldest daughter and grand children live back in the Uk.My family can now come out and have Holidays of a life time they could only dream of , i am honestly now Living our dream , hard it has been along the way ....................would i change anything , ABSOLUTELY NOT .Always trust your Gut feeling .

That's very interesting to read. We are moving on 23 Oct'12 and have booked flights to Perth but we also considered GC (been there twice and loved it). We choose Perth in the end as lots of people have said how nice it is there and also the electrical licence is easier to get there (huubie will need this). Now I am not so sure about Perth as I have always had thoughts that it might be to quiet for us and our boys. I think I will look at changing the flights!!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF
Why dont you post in the Moving Back to the UK forum?

A number of reasons which if i mention will just result in replies of a certain nature, which again would confirm why i don't post there.

Having said that, I agree you need to give it a bit more time and I think it also depends on how well you feel you belong, and I guess having family here helps. However, we have found it difficult to make friends here, as someone said we have joined things and the Aussies are very friendly on the surface, but that's as far as it goes. We haven't been able to meet any expats of our own age in the area. I don't know if other states are any different, - we probably wouldn't stay in WA if the family weren't here, although we do love the sunshine and are a bit worried about the floods and humidity in Queensland.

Just to put it into context for you (and others), worrying about floods when deciding whether to move to a whole state or city is overkill. Even in Brisbane's 1 in a 100 year flood last year only approx 3% of households were affected. It is easy to check which houses these were on council maps - low lying near the river. Most residents were not, and never will be, anywhere near flooding. It is probably the equivalent of not moving to Victoria because they had a bad bushfire. Those ridiculous maps they showed on tv worldwide that made it look like the whole state was under water have a lot to answer for :) Two suburbs from the river some people were shopping like normal in the sunshine...nothing like what was portrayed.

I completely understand how you feel. We have been in WA almost a year and came over on a parent visa to be with our family. We had been on several holidays and fell in love with the clean, bright feel of Perth and the sunshine and we love Perth city. The family lived near the city and we spent a lot of time walking along the Swan river foreshore. Since we came out though the family have moved to Canning Vale and we are sharing a house with them for a year or so. We have come to realise that we wouldn't be able to afford to live near the river or the beach, but everywhere else seems to be just one barren, soulless housing estate out in the dessert. We have relatives in Queensland (family actually started off there and moved to WA for work) and much preferred the feel of the older established suburbs there and the greenery. We miss the countryside. As someone else posted we need tree lined streets and houses with character, which Perth doesn't really have. We do find it a bit bland and boring. We came from a small village in the UK with everything to hand and hate having to drive miles to get anywhere.

Having said that, I agree you need to give it a bit more time and I think it also depends on how well you feel you belong, and I guess having family here helps. However, we have found it difficult to make friends here, as someone said we have joined things and the Aussies are very friendly on the surface, but that's as far as it goes. We haven't been able to meet any expats of our own age in the area. I don't know if other states are any different, - we probably wouldn't stay in WA if the family weren't here, although we do love the sunshine and are a bit worried about the floods and humidity in Queensland.

I live near Canning Vale (next suburb) and haven't thought it barren at all - quite the opposite ... guess it just goes to show that people don't always view things the same way.

• 3 weeks later...
I feel your pain! We are in Victoria and regerat not trying New South Wales or Queensland instead. We are thining of shifting to Brisbane the end of next year after four years.

Have you visited NSW or Queensland before?

I wonder if 'you just know' when you visit a place on a reccie/holiday/trip?

I have been to both Queensland and Sydney before moving to Melbourne. The issue for us was we had planned on moving to Melbourne already as we had more friends here we knew from London and we were concerned about costs in Sydney and getting work in Brisbane. We are a strange lot as we hadn't even been to Australia when we decided to move here! Only heard good things. That said, it is so much better than the UK so no regrets. I have to say I never had that feeling when we arrived in Melbourne that this is the place for us and felt a love for it. Mostly I just kept trying to like it here and after four years we have both realised that you can't force yourself to love where you live if you don't have that feeling. I have that feeling when we visit Brisbane and Sydney (both which we have recently re-visited). We are moving to one or the other the end of next year depending on where we can get work. I just find Melbourne ugly. People love it for the European feel ect. and the sporting events ect. I don't care about any of it. You dread winter and when summer comes there aren't nice beaches to enjoy it. I have been outside Melbourne all ove Victoria and the beaches don't get much better. Anyway, that is my rant!

Guest RichB

This talk of perth being quiet like a ghost town is ridiculous Perth is a busy city, thats why we moved away from there to Tassie for some peace and quiet,

and to get away from the relentless heat and boring flatness of perth.

Guest VickyMel

I thought we might have been moving to the wrong state before we arrived in Melbourne.

I have got used to living in constant hot weather, more like a Perth climate, and was rather worried it was going to be too much like UK weather here and that we might be making a mistake.

However I have really been enjoying the weather - I love having more than 2 seasons a year (in fact there are often more than 2 seasons in a day!).

Not so keen on being so close to the city - but we have always lived close to cities re our work and so that would not matter where we were.

On our couple of brief trips out of the suburbs the rest of VIC looks wonderful and we are looking forward to seeing more of it.

So I am the opposite of many posting on this thread - thought I might be gritting my teeth and struggling the first 2 years then wanting to move away after our 2 year SS stint - but the way things are going it is not an issue now.

Mind you winter is just starting... :frown: and there has been a bit of rain... but it is still 22C... but I imagine that won't hold for long:err: .

So watch this space - I may have chosen the wrong state after all:wink: :shocked:

This talk of perth being quiet like a ghost town is ridiculous Perth is a busy city, thats why we moved away from there to Tassie for some peace and quiet,

and to get away from the relentless heat and boring flatness of perth.

I've seen this before about boring flatness, I just don't get it. There are hills a plenty not very far inland. We go mountain bike riding in the hills around Perth and I know it's not flat, otherwise we wouldn't bother. There are some big hills heading out of Perth East. I wouldn't fancy biking up greenmount hill for one. For those that like living in the hills there are some fantastic views of the City too. Reminds me of shots I saw years ago of Hollywood, where the sign is, looking over LA (only Perth is a lot smaller).

constant hot weather, more like a Perth climate

Thing is though, it's not constant hot weather. I've seen posts already from people complaining about the rain we've had in the last couple of weeks and seen others about how cold the houses get. We have a pleasantly cooler winter. tbh I'm over it already, bring on summer and the lighter mornings!!

Hi

We too are a family of 4 and are heading to the Gold Coast in the next 6 months from Adelaide....Adelaide is just not for us.

We have lived in Adelaide now for nearly 4 years and have never really settled here our first choice was Qld but when we got here work was hard to get and to be honest i think we panicked and came down here for the stability. Dont get me wrong we have made great friends here in SA but have never really felt that living here is the reason why we moved over here and when we are on holiday in GC it feels like we are home....if that makes sense. We have just been up there over the Easter with friends who were visiting from the UK and noticed a lot of work going on up there with them getting the Commonwealth Games on the GC a lot is happening.

Also our eldest daughter is really into her swimming and when we were up there she had a trial swim at a club and they said she could have a place in their squad, so we made the decision now was the right time to move. So we have looked at loads of area's around the Gold Coast and when we were up there had a good ride round them too, which was very helpful.

No move is the easiest and everyone has their own views trust your gut feelings it got you here....good luck in what you decide

I am the opposite really.

When I was younger I lived in Sydney for about 8 months and Perth for about 3 months and loved them both.

Had my heart set on Perth really.

DH's job opportunity came up in Brisbane which we'd both been a bit hesitant about to be honest. Had only heard things like the floods in recent years.

However we looked into it and were pleasantly surprised and decided to give it a go.

We completely fell in love with it almost straightaway. It's a lovely city with so much to do within an hour or two. It's so green and hilly which I didn't expect.

I am hoping we can stay long term (we are on a 457) and can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be.

My main concern is that on paper Perth looks perfect for us as a family, we've been offered jobs in Sydney but it seems too much like London in the sunshine.

Is that other peoples experience ?

The sheer expense just puts me right off tbh (of Sydney). Maybe when the kids are older we'll move there for more action.

My main concern is that on paper Perth looks perfect for us as a family, we've been offered jobs in Sydney but it seems too much like London in the sunshine.

The sheer expense just puts me right off tbh (of Sydney). Maybe when the kids are older we'll move there for more action.

I live in Perth but have worked over in Sydney a lot. I wouldn't say that it's anything like London with sunshine. Personally i find it much nicer than London, nowhere near as big and spread out. I've had a lot of weekends there when I've not been working so have walked from one side of Sydney City to the other. It has spectacular views from lots of places around the harbour, the Opera house looks just as good in real life as in photos, the botanic Gardens from the Opera House to Woolloomalloo Bay is beautiful and great for a run or walk. I know Sydney City centre and surrounds better than I know Perth.

I also find eating and drinking out in Sydney probably a little cheaper than Perth.

I've read a few articles on Perth being as expensive as Sydney for housing but I've often thought that to have the same lifestyle in Sydney that we have in Perth we would need heaps more money. We would have to live somewhere like 2 mins away from Manly Beach, or somewhere like that and I don't think we would be able to get anything like the nice 4x2 we have here close to Manly for the same price as our house here. Commuting in Perth is still OK too. I travel about 32Km one way to work here and it takes about 40 mins, BUT the drive is really nice down the Tourist drive West Coast Highway so is not stressful but quite pleasant. Driving anywhere in and around Sydney is awful. I was working at Holsworthy a fair way outside Sydney, a while ago and it took me ages to get there with queues on the motorway the whole way. I thought it would be a nice idea to go and see the Olympic Park but had forgotten how bad traffic can be. Even that far out of Sydney the traffic was still horrendous.

Perth has plenty of "life" if you know where to go to find it. Just as much as Sydney I think and it's easier to get between places. It's developing at a rapid rate too with a lot of money being spent on the City and new developments up and down the coast.

If you've been offered jobs in Sydney though and they look decent pay and you've nothing penned in for Perth I wouldn't hesitate about giving Sydney a go. Good Luck.

I don't think Sydney is anything like London with sunshine either

It is much smaller and more compact - the city centre is really pretty small and as Paul says, totally walkable - maybe 2km x 1.5km in area, as opposed to central London's 12km x 5km or something like that. No comparison

When people say Sydney is expensive, they mean housing really (although education as you have found is another cost that has to be factored in on a 457). Affordability is all subjective and there are pockets of value, but none of those pockets of value are going to be next to a beach or central. If you're prepared to commute a long way (like over an hour) then you can cut the cost down quite drastically, so in that respect I guess it is quite London like. Personally a chunky part of our reason for coming here was to get rid of a commute that had got out of hand, so we just suck it up and pay the high housing costs, fortunately we can afford to. If I had a 75 minute commute again - as many here do - we wouldn't be here. From posts on here, the Shire (southern suburbs) seems to be the best value place where you can catch a train in to the CBD without too ridiculous a timescale involved

For other costs I don't find Sydney that expensive. Public transport is reasonably priced, food, petrol and utilities the same sort of price as elsewhere in Oz, eating and drinking out isn't bad because there are so many places. Parking just needs a bit of nous really. People are lazy and will pay $15 to park for 2 hours at Balmoral Beach, or you can go and park on the street for nothing for unlimited time, if you're prepared to park a 5 minute walk up the hill.

Traffic can be a pain - there are some notorious blackspots - but it's not as bad as, say, places like Manchester IME (although Manchester is appalling, worse than London so it's probably not a fair comparison).

The other major difference from London is that as well as the centre being small, the business community/activity is a bit "small" as well. London feels like a major motor of the global economy because, well, it is. It acts as one of the main world centres in finance, cultural & creative activities as well as all the IT, legal, retail and other services that go to support that level of economic activity. Sydney just isn't a world city in the same way, it's the centre of gravity of a population of 7.5m (NSW). Some like that, personally I find it a bit small town in that respect but then I love that aspect of London - many hate it.

I like London and I like Sydney too. I don't think Sydney is anything like London in the sunshine, it is much smaller and more compact for a start. I don't even know where to start in articulating the ways in which Sydney is nothing like London, it just isn't..

Sydney is very expensive though, maybe not in day to day stuff (that I have no idea) but certainly houses and rents are far more expensive in Sydney.

We too feel WA is lacking something... can't put our finger on it, but understand how you are feeling :)

Just curious...:wideeyed:

We have moved to WA & after living here for a few months, we really arent sure its the state we will stay in long term...:nah:

I know its early days & we will stay here the time we HAVE to....But then, well, who knows? :eek:

I don't think Sydney is anything like London in the sunshine, it is much smaller and more compact for a start. I don't even know where to start in articulating the ways in which Sydney is nothing like London, it just isn't..

Sydney is slightly bigger in area than Greater London (651 and 611 square miles respectively). However, I agree it is not like London. Is more like a U.S. city perhaps?

Archived