Anyone feel they moved to the wrong state?

cartertucker

We too feel WA is lacking something... can't put our finger on it, but understand how you are feeling :)

Me and the wife were out at Hillary's a couple of weeks ago. Nice evening, nice restaurant, lovely place, great sunset, easy to park, free parking and there weren't many people there. I commented to the missus at the time that if you could have transplanted the whole environment, including weather, sunset etc. to somewhere in the UK, it would have been packed. There would have been a queue a mile long to get in the car park (and no doubt big charges to park, but that's another issue) people around everywhere. Maybe this is what fairly newly arrived people miss? Just the busyness of everything in the UK?

I guess some have referred to it as "the vibe" I've seen mentioned as being missing here......maybe that's it?

We prefer it like it is and like the fact that we can park easily, get in a restaurant easily, don't have masses of people around, not too noisy but if you are used to that type of thing it's just a bit different going out here. It certainly struck me on the night that some might miss it as it's one of the things that is noticeably different.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^This is an excellent point Paul and I think you've hit the nail on the head. Speaking for myself at any rate, one of the things I found hardest to adapt to in Perth is the lack of crowds, the feeling of 'emptiness' of it all. Can get a bit lonely feeling. Fremantle for me is like a ghost town, unless I go at the wrong times or something. Can usually find a crowd in Little Creatures though.

Me and the wife were out at Hillary's a couple of weeks ago. Nice evening, nice restaurant, lovely place, great sunset, easy to park, free parking and there weren't many people there. I commented to the missus at the time that if you could have transplanted the whole environment, including weather, sunset etc. to somewhere in the UK, it would have been packed. There would have been a queue a mile long to get in the car park (and no doubt big charges to park, but that's another issue) people around everywhere. Maybe this is what fairly newly arrived people miss? Just the busyness of everything in the UK?

I guess some have referred to it as "the vibe" I've seen mentioned as being missing here......maybe that's it?

We prefer it like it is and like the fact that we can park easily, get in a restaurant easily, don't have masses of people around, not too noisy but if you are used to that type of thing it's just a bit different going out here. It certainly struck me on the night that some might miss it as it's one of the things that is noticeably different.

Sounds heavenly. I hate being surrounded by hordes of people - bit too much like an ant farm for comfort.

Surely that wasnt at a weekend was it? Each time we have been, it has been heaving with people! :jiggy:

A very beautiful place, not suprised it gets busy, probably the best place in the area imo :yes:

Sydney is slightly bigger in area than Greater London (651 and 611 square miles respectively).

The central area is a small fraction of the size - it sprawls an awful lot more for the size of population though.....

more like a U.S. city perhaps?

...yep. As do many US cities

Guest guest17301

Hillarys is gorgeous, we tend to avoid it at the weekend because of the crowds! If you go in the week for lunch its great. Something there for everyone, picnic after a day on the beach with the kids is fantastic. (and free) The pull of Perth is its lack of crowds for us, in fact we probably would prefer somewhere even quieter!

Guest JK2510

It is a huge tourist trap...only go there once in a while to breakwater for a few drinks and some lunch.

Guest yorkshirepud

Oh this is the same for us! We've been here 2 1/2 years, so have really given it a good go and still something lacking! We lived in York (uk) and i think its the lack of choice of things to do. We do a lot of camping, have been up and down the coast, and now we are kind of thinking, okay, what else is there? Its too expensive for the five of us to fly anywhere too! But where to go?? Other half has suggested we look at Queensland, but the thought of going through the relocation and research again does my head in. I am all for going back to the UK :(

Oh this is the same for us! We've been here 2 1/2 years, so have really given it a good go and still something lacking! We lived in York (uk) and i think its the lack of choice of things to do. We do a lot of camping, have been up and down the coast, and now we are kind of thinking, okay, what else is there? Its too expensive for the five of us to fly anywhere too! But where to go?? Other half has suggested we look at Queensland, but the thought of going through the relocation and research again does my head in. I am all for going back to the UK :(

Hey 'yorkshirepud' Great to hear from you ~ remember me! :wink:

Sorry things havent worked out for you either ~would be great to chat more, will send you a PM

Guest guest17301
I must be the only person who thinks Hillarys is tacky and horrible. It doesn't have a decent restaurant, overpriced tourist crap quite honestly.

Overpriced? No more than the rest of Perths eateries! Tourist crap? Never! It's beautiful with a fab atmosphere...have you ever been for the summer fireworks? Atmosphere blows me away every year!

I must be the only person who thinks Hillarys is tacky and horrible. It doesn't have a decent restaurant, overpriced tourist crap quite honestly.

No, you're not. The best bit of Hillarys are the boats going out to Rottnest Island where the real "peace and quiet" is.

Guest Ptp113

Perth is isolated and limited in scope. You did look at a map before you moved there yes?

Im not a great lover of Hilary's either, that said I live a long way away really, if I was closer I might use it more. Ive eaten there once and it was lovely and not overpriced. Aqwa is a fab. It does strike me as a bit to man made if that makes sense but the beaches around are lovely, but Im a SOR girl at heart :wink:

Surely that wasnt at a weekend was it? Each time we have been, it has been heaving with people! :jiggy:

A very beautiful place, not suprised it gets busy, probably the best place in the area imo :yes:

It was Saturday evening, but around 6:00 so pretty quite.

Hillarys not my cup of tea but I can appreciate that it does appeal to lots of people. It gets very crowded at weekends I hear but not so much during the week!

It's not that I dislike it, but i'm not that keen either ... hubby tends to take the rellies now if they're new visitors

Overpriced? No more than the rest of Perths eateries! Tourist crap? Never! It's beautiful with a fab atmosphere...have you ever been for the summer fireworks? Atmosphere blows me away every year!

I don't like it at all and don't feel the place has any atmosphere at all. I have lived within 15 mins of Hillarys for 7 years and I still can't see the attraction.

Exmouth is my little piece of heaven ... me and the turtles ... bliss

Exmouth was OK but what I like about Coral Bay is that you park up for a week/fortnights holiday and then don't have to get in the car again until you come home. Everything is within a few minutes walk and you can just relax.

Exmouth was OK but what I like about Coral Bay is that you park up for a week/fortnights holiday and then don't have to get in the car again until you come home. Everything is within a few minutes walk and you can just relax.

I like the sound of that too ~ off to google... :GEEK:

Us tooooo, only been here since Jan 12 so real newbies.We have just moved to Hillarys from Warnbro (stayed with friends in Warnbrowhen we got here). Like you guys just feel there is somethingmissing.............. some days I drive along the coast Road and think"Wow" and other days I think "is this it". Guess we justhave to give it more time and allow ourselves to adjust. Am also startingrealise that WA is VERY expensive, especially for us as only 1 of us iscurrently working.

Us tooooo, only been here since Jan 12 so real newbies. Wehave just moved to Hillarys from Warnbro (stayed with friends in Warnbro whenwe got here). Like you guys just feel there is something missining..............some days I drive along the coast Road and think "Wow" and other daysI think "is this it". Guess we have give it more time and allowourselves to adjust. Also starting realise that WA is VERY expensive,especially for us as only 1 of us is currently working. Everything really seems to have gone up since we came over in 2010, except wine that is, this I am at least very thankful for :-).

Archived