Anyone feel they moved to the wrong state?

cartertucker

Hi,

Not sure if you have said how long you have been here....

In terms of making friends I really think that takes time. We find Australians superficailly friendly but find it difficult to get any further than that but I think it's just a matter of getting on with your life and not worrying and I am sure the friends will appear in time. I wouldnt move to melbourne to make friends, I think its hard to make friends in any city.

I do think some people must be given a complimentary bag of sausages on landing on these shores and ushered away to the nearest BBQ, so many people come on here and state they have many great friends after 3 weeks and are heavily into the BBQ culture. Personally after 16 months we are yet to have a BBQ with an Australian!!!

Certainly within our first 6 months we intended to move from Victoria but ended up finding what we wanted an hour down the road from melbourne.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, I was a little hesitant of posting what im not liking/missing, as I never thought I would feel this way....But here goes:

The lack of greenery is hard, I still dont know that I can get used to the fact my kids have to always be aware of killer spiders & snakes (so been thinking NZ!) The lack of Family friendly restaurants & to be honest, havent found these friendly people that are supposed to live here!

I can highly recommend QLD!

I've visited all of the states except TAS and NT, each has good+bad points and each suits some people not others.

Personally (and I mean personally, everyone's different) my impression of the state capitals I visited/lived in is as follows.

Perth: Good weather but spread out and uneventful, surrounded by an amazing amount of nothing, esp to the North.

Adelaide: Nice enough but small & lacks job opportunities for me, lovely surroundings & cheaper housing.

Melbourne: Beautiful & characterful but weather not warm enough for long enough

Sydney: (Lived there for 12 months) Expensive, crowded, busy, buzzing - stunning harbour but beaches crowded and getting anywhere is a pain, expensive (needed to say that twice)

Brisbane: Warm year round (frequently humid) bad traffic/transport, cheaper (or less expensive) housing, surrounded by mountains and quiet beaches and tourist resorts, all within about an hour from the CBD.

Gold Coast (not a capital but my home): Crime ridden, tacky, brash, vulgar (this is just surfers but people would have you believe the whole city is the same), I love it but lots of people hate it. Great weather, beaches, heaps to do, theme parks, boating etc.

EDIT - Canberra: (Almost forgot that one which tells its own story) - Strange place, nothing specific to object to but tumbleweed quiet - those who love it love it, many jobs there are govt and require citizenship.

Right, I'm sure that's upset almost everyone (sorry!)

Finding new friends as an adult is always tough and one of the hardest parts of making the move, at least having kids should help via parents also restaurants and pubs tend to be much further apart here (its a much bigger place).

Anyway, I almost never get on here, glad to see some old "faces" - Hi VickyM - glad you made it over.

All the best, hang in there, we've been here nearly 2 years and it still feels like we're settling in.

I can highly recommend QLD!

I've visited all of the states except TAS and NT, each has good+bad points and each suits some people not others.

Personally (and I mean personally, everyone's different) my impression of the state capitals I visited/lived in is as follows.

Perth: Good weather but spread out and uneventful, surrounded by an amazing amount of nothing, esp to the North.

Adelaide: Nice enough but small & lacks job opportunities for me, lovely surroundings & cheaper housing.

Melbourne: Beautiful & characterful but weather not warm enough for long enough

Sydney: (Lived there for 12 months) Expensive, crowded, busy, buzzing - stunning harbour but beaches crowded and getting anywhere is a pain, expensive (needed to say that twice)

Brisbane: Warm year round (frequently humid) bad traffic/transport, cheaper (or less expensive) housing, surrounded by mountains and quiet beaches and tourist resorts, all within about an hour from the CBD.

Gold Coast (not a capital but my home): Crime ridden, tacky, brash, vulgar (this is just surfers but people would have you believe the whole city is the same), I love it but lots of people hate it. Great weather, beaches, heaps to do, theme parks, boating etc.

EDIT - Canberra: (Almost forgot that one which tells its own story) - Strange place, nothing specific to object to but tumbleweed quiet - those who love it love it, many jobs there are govt and require citizenship.

Right, I'm sure that's upset almost everyone (sorry!)

Finding new friends as an adult is always tough and one of the hardest parts of making the move, at least having kids should help via parents also restaurants and pubs tend to be much further apart here (its a much bigger place).

Anyway, I almost never get on here, glad to see some old "faces" - Hi VickyM - glad you made it over.

All the best, hang in there, we've been here nearly 2 years and it still feels like we're settling in.

Forgot to mention NZ, spent a week in Auckland one day... if you think Perth is quiet :swoon:

hey kelly ...i really think u need to give urself more time to settle in without making any rash decisions ....i know when i hit my 4/5 month ...i would have done anything to get on a plane somewhere else !! .....its really does take time to settle into a new country and the fact u have just had a baby isnt gona help ....hormones lol ....snakes and spiders ....not seen one snake in 3 yrs ....only a couple of redbacks ...but they were in the nooks and crannies of the garage .....and yes only another couple of months and the rain will be here breathing new life into the grass ....as some have mentioned ...maybe have a look at other suburbs ...im not a fan of nor ...not idea why ..it just doesnt appeal and as for being near the beach ....rather have pool in back yard ......really hope everything settles down as i know it was a long journey to get to this point .....just give it a wee whiley longer lol :)

mrs keily

Guest JK2510

Have you looked at mandurah.....now before all those mandurah haters get on my back...I really like mandurah....visited friends a few times in the last few mths and was very pleased at the activities it offers families....I found it very relaxing....my friend can't see herself wanting to leave there now....if it wasn't so far work wise we would consider the move down there.

I think thats an excellent summary fo the capital cities.

Also, remember, although a lot of us have to come to the city first for work, there are a million places you can move on to without having to move states.

Interesting you liek the Gold Coast in spite of what you say about it! I have not been there so have no idea

Interesting you liek the Gold Coast in spite of what you say about it! I have not been there so have no idea

I was going for a bit of irony as thats certainly the press perception, and is quite true of surfers paradise, but not the whole GC and not where I live.

Just curious...:wideeyed:

We have moved to WA & after living here for a few months, we really arent sure its the state we will stay in long term...:nah:

I know its early days & we will stay here the time we HAVE to....But then, well, who knows? :eek:

I know exactly what you are saying, we are currently in Melbourne having moved here from the UK in August and have just made the decision to move to Perth:biggrin:

We pretty much knew straight away that Melbourne wasn't for us but planned to stay for a couple of years before uprooting again but then a job opportunity came up and we have decided to go for it. Melbourne is a lovely city but it's a bit too big for us, if we could commute to the city from the surf coast it would be different but I'm not prepared to do a 3 hour commute.

Our poor son is going to have to change schools again but it's probably better now before he gets too settled. Can't believe we're going to have to go through the house hunting trauma again so soon:arghh:

I know exactly what you are saying, we are currently in Melbourne having moved here from the UK in August and have just made the decision to move to Perth:biggrin:

We pretty much knew straight away that Melbourne wasn't for us but planned to stay for a couple of years before uprooting again but then a job opportunity came up and we have decided to go for it. Melbourne is a lovely city but it's a bit too big for us, if we could commute to the city from the surf coast it would be different but I'm not prepared to do a 3 hour commute.

Our poor son is going to have to change schools again but it's probably better now before he gets too settled. Can't believe we're going to have to go through the house hunting trauma again so soon:arghh:

Amazing that !!

So many people changing their minds and moving to Perth.

For years I have tried to get into Australia and now there is a possibility that Perth is on the horizon.

If all goes well then it is the Med Heat place of Perth we are heading for. Not being hippy or anything but I am getting signs.

Just got some money back from Money Boomerang. My daughter wears WA in netball and so many people are talking about Perth. Our friends are over in Perth, my wife's friend and her sister live in Perth and Perth was one of the most visited places for me in Scotland.

The planets are aligning !!!

nigelplaner8_396x222.jpg

nigelplaner8_396x222.jpg

I would visit NZ before making any decision. We have relatives there and pop over to see them and I lived there for 8 years as well. I do like it and I have quite a few friends Kiwis who live there. However Aus has so much more for us as a family. Melbourne for us is the place to be, Perth never ticked my box even though I have family there as well. Not that I ever see that part of the family.

Bendigo, Ballarat are nice regional cities in Victoria and Victoria being the smallest State a little larger than the UK its not so far to travel around it.

Good luck make sure you tick all the boxes before moving

Guest Guest66881

We have a family friend who is on the verge of moving out to Mackay from England next month, they did consider Perth but the hubby got a job offer out there so off they fly.

We always wondered what it would be like in another part of this great place, maybe one day we will fly across and have a look see.

Guest Guest62757
Ok, I was a little hesitant of posting what im not liking/missing, as I never thought I would feel this way....But here goes:

The lack of greenery is hard, I still dont know that I can get used to the fact my kids have to always be aware of killer spiders & snakes (so been thinking NZ!) The lack of Family friendly restaurants & to be honest, havent found these friendly people that are supposed to live here!

Some of the reasons is why we didn't feel 100% settled in Sydney's north shore and Central Coast and that is where my husband is from.

With young kids going to beach for us is more of a hindrance than enjoyable we have two highly spirited boys and a little girl that currently goes off her nut when touching sand.

We also missed having family friendly places to take the children on the North shore and although the coast was better the whole set up wasn't for us. So we decided to move interstate to Melbourne.

When looking around Melbourne I had a fair idea of what I wanted and didn't want. For me personally I prefer the tree lined eastern suburbs with characterful houses rather than the Bayside which is a more beachy 70's architecture feel and also very nice.

Also there are so many family friendly things to do here, just this morning we went to Studley Park in Kew with the dogs for a walk and breakfast at the boathouse cafe. I came prepared with bread for my boys to feed the ducks and geese which they loved.

Nearby where we live we have already been to a mini steam railway, a modern art sculpture gardens (Heide), a child friendly nursery cafe and the Melbourne Museum. There are heaps of great playgrounds here and of course a great tram network which my boys are obsessed with. I love having so many options for us to so as a family.

I would definitely do some short holidays to the other states to see if they feel better, and go with your gut instinct.

For me I have tried living in the outer suburbs which although they are nice I know aren't for me. So even though I hanker for country life or a beach getaway I know that living closer to a city if better for us as a family and maybe in the future I get a weekender if I win the lotto (have to start playing first!).

Guest tandcmum

sorry to hear you are feeling this way, must be difficult for you as you have some very young children and a newborn so getting out must be difficult at the moment, you also must be pretty exhausted having just emigrated and then having a new baby. Do give it some time though, it's all still very new and the hormones will also be a facotr here. How does your husband feel about Perth? and how about the kids?

I don't think any of us really know how we will feel about somewhere when we live there prperly, even after doing a reccie, Oz is a big place and very diverse from one side to the other. I was originally attracted to Perth but then got a better job offer over in Townsville so am going there. I do feel Townsville will offer us more as a family but still want to visit perth once we are settled as i'm intrigued by it and we have said if we feel after my 2 yr contract is up that if we are not settling in Townsville we will try another state

Really? Yeah Aussies dont do sarcasm at all!

I dont think they do irony either, but then I didnt realise Freebo was being ironic so maybe I just dont get it when they are being ironic!

I think suggesting they use no sarcasm at all is being too kind...hang around any urbanite in a big city and I'm sure you'll hear it. Just not the national sport it is in Britain. In fact I think some Brits might sometimes lose their audience a bit without quite knowing why as they expect some sarcastic banter back but Aussies, in general, probably find more biting sarcasm ruder than the average Brit might. A fine line indeed. Dry humour is more popular. A cultural difference worth watching out for perhaps...

I dont see any dry humour either. I reckon its so dry I dont understand its funny!!!
Failing to spot obvious irony and dry humour...this is serious...I prescribe 6 months back in blighty or alternatively get some new friends :biggrin:

Archived