Australian citizenship or British citizenship.

yorkiegirl

Those of us who are British citizens have the privilege of being able to hold dual citizenship with Australia (myself included)

I often see this given as a reason to hang on here a bit longer even if someone doesn't want to stay here long term , but just to get Australian citizenship so you can have a choice where to live.

People from some other countries don't have this privilege, and have to give up citizenship of their birth country in order to become Australian citizens.

What I'm wondering is, if you had to give up your British citizenship in order to become an Australian citizen, what would you do?

(Bearing in mind this would mean you couldn't just go back to live in the UK when you felt like it.)

To be honest, in my case, I really don't know what I would have done, I've been an Australian citizen for 18 years but had I had had to choose, who knows.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest57588
british wins everytime...theres no contest! poor old blighty, i just want to wrap my arms around it and give it a big hug:hug:

I always think of the UK as being a confused old duffer who's doing his best whilst getting the p*ss taken out of him by other countries!. It always makes me wanna say "Leave him alone!, you heard me.... leave him alone!"

I always think of the UK as being a confused old duffer who's doing his best whilst getting the p*ss taken out of him by other countries!. It always makes me wanna say "Leave him alone!, you heard me.... leave him alone!"

nice one..i know what ya mean tradiehero. i wish i could take all its pain away with a magic wand.

We are really very lucky we don't have to make the choice, unlike people from some other countries.

When I first got here, I thought I would stay here, and took out citizenship after 2 years. Not sure that was long enough to make a proper decision :)

Now I have been here 20 yrs and heading back to the UK, I'm so glad I didn't have to choose back then.

I cant wait to stop being a brit and all it stands for.Be an aussi any day

Just wondering why you don't like being a British citizen and how long you've been in Australia. ( how long before you are eligible for Australian citizenship)

What I'm wondering is, if you had to give up your British citizenship in order to become an Australian citizen, what would you do?

(Bearing in mind this would mean you couldn't just go back to live in the UK when you felt like it.)

Some nationalities do have a bar on dual citizenship. To address this, the UK offers a Right Of Abode status. If you relinquish your UK citizenship, you can have a right of abode label placed in your overseas passport that will allow you to live and work in the UK as you please.

Those of us who are British citizens have the privilege of being able to hold dual citizenship with Australia (myself included)

I often see this given as a reason to hang on here a bit longer even if someone doesn't want to stay here long term , but just to get Australian citizenship so you can have a choice where to live.

People from some other countries don't have this privilege, and have to give up citizenship of their birth country in order to become Australian citizens.

To be honest, in my case, I really don't know what I would have done, I've been an Australian citizen for 18 years but had I had had to choose, who knows.

no, I'm very proud to be English. I have permanent residency here so apart from voting 'rights' I'm not sure what advantage there would be from gaining citizenship. In fact you could say that having PR is best of both worlds, in that you get to do most stuff but aren't obliged to vote for whatever dummies want your vote (the choice between Julia and Tony is so dire, it's a good job it's compulsory to vote as the turn out would probs be less than 10%; most of them would be unemloyed, pensioners and other busybodies with nothing better to do).

I will take it when I come up for parole in about 6 months, but if it meant giving up my British citizenship, no way

I don't mind if people want to/would give up UK citizenship. What I find truly bizarre are the people (some have posted on here) who say they would gladly give up UK citizenship when they've barely even visited Australia, let alone lived here. How can they possibly say that? Fortunately it's not a one-way ticket - but it does make you think about what a leap of faith people were making in coming here when it was effectively a one-way deal. Like most of yer 10 pound poms. Respect.

Archived