Australian citizenship or British citizenship.

yorkiegirl

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel very sad reading this thread - the whole spirit of becoming an Aussie is so not on this thread. I know so many nationalities who have Australian citizenship as their back up for when things go wrong in their own countries (mainly war torn countries and most have never even lived in Oz) and it sounds like there is a whole lot of British who take out citizenship for 'just in case'. Just feels so wrong and not in the spirit of what being an 'Aussie' is. It just sounds like take, take, take and not giving back.

I feel very sad reading this thread - the whole spirit of becoming an Aussie is so not on this thread. I know so many nationalities who have Australian citizenship as their back up for when things go wrong in their own countries (mainly war torn countries and most have never even lived in Oz) and it sounds like there is a whole lot of British who take out citizenship for 'just in case'. Just feels so wrong and not in the spirit of what being an 'Aussie' is. It just sounds like take, take, take and not giving back.

We took citizenship so we could vote, Australia is our home. I did used to struggle with the idea of people taking citizenship 'just in case' , but I can now see that they are giving the childen the option of returning to Australia later. As adults we make the decisions for our children, when we moved it was our desire to emigrate and the children came with us, equally, had we decided we didn't like it, again it would be a decision we made and depending on age, the children would have had to go along with us again in yet another move. So, I now see some people taking citizenship a little differently, but if I really hated Australia and everything it stood for, I probably wouldn't take it.

We took citizenship so we could vote, Australia is our home. I did used to struggle with the idea of people taking citizenship 'just in case' , but I can now see that they are giving the childen the option of returning to Australia later. As adults we make the decisions for our children, when we moved it was our desire to emigrate and the children came with us, equally, had we decided we didn't like it, again it would be a decision we made and depending on age, the children would have had to go along with us again in yet another move. So, I now see some people taking citizenship a little differently, but if I really hated Australia and everything it stood for, I probably wouldn't take it.

Personally I would be quite happy just having a permanent visa for the rest of my life, and not taking out Australian citizenship. Problem is, it's highly likely that we're going to end up living in other parts of the world for several years at a time, which means that when we want to come back to Australia I'll have to go through the whole visa rigmarole AGAIN, because apparently having been issued a PR visa and being married to an Australian is enough to get you citizenship wherever you're living on the planet, but not enough to get you an RRV, go figure. Hence, in order to make sure I can get in and out of Australia with my Australian husband in years to come, I'm going to HAVE to take out citizenship once I'm eligible.

Personally I would be quite happy just having a permanent visa for the rest of my life, and not taking out Australian citizenship. Problem is, it's highly likely that we're going to end up living in other parts of the world for several years at a time, which means that when we want to come back to Australia I'll have to go through the whole visa rigmarole AGAIN, because apparently having been issued a PR visa and being married to an Australian is enough to get you citizenship wherever you're living on the planet, but not enough to get you an RRV, go figure. Hence, in order to make sure I can get in and out of Australia with my Australian husband in years to come, I'm going to HAVE to take out citizenship once I'm eligible.

I'm in the same boat as you, that's just bonkers.

Ah, but the question is, when it comes to you buying that ticket for the Boxing Day Test at the G in 2013, which section of the ground will you be buying it for?

Will you pass the Aussie equivalent of Norman Tebbit's "cricket test"? Or will you feel guilty at all for failing it? :wink:

I'm tempted to suggest the Aussie equivalent of NT might be Sir Les. Cricket fan? Check. Airline Pilot? Check. Cantankerous? Check. Not sure he's thank me for drawing parallels on the politics, mind, judging by his posts

:biggrin:

Personally at the same time I won't be able to have applied for citizenship anyway, so I will be able to buy *my* ticket for the SCG without a trace of guilt or hypocrisy.....

Easy, NEVER will I support the Aussie cricket team, OK?

OK, maybe if they were playing the USA

We have been here since the late 80s and our passports exspired in the mid 90s after we took out citizenship, so we could I suppose apply and get Aussie passports also the kids were born here, but can we renew our British ones? I did here that ppl were useing their Brit/pass to enter the UK so as not to have to stand there in arrivals at the "Alien " gate with the mass then use their Aus/pass on return.

You can renew at any time, I wouldn't bother with the expense if it's just for a holiday back in the UK. The queue's at the airports in the UK are hideous no matter what line your in, Alien or residents, same deal traveling throughout Europe too, I saw no advantage to having a UK passport to an Oz one.

Easy, NEVER will I support the Aussie cricket team, OK?

OK, maybe if they were playing the USA

When we went to the one day test at the WACA - hubby found himself on the side of England, whilst I sided with the Aussies. Both did this without thinking during the course of the game

Visa free travel to and throughout Europe (with full work rights) would be considered an advantage to many.

Apart from the work rights, if you wanted to or could even find a job, there's no difference when you are arrive in many of the European airports with an Oz passport, the majority have visa on arrival now so it's just a case of stamping your passport.

Why sad? I find it really tragic that people are almost falling over themselves to give up their British nationality. I find it ironic that one of the reasons so many Brits hate their own country is the lack of national pride in Britain..sort of like a self perpetuating myth. What is the spirit of being an Aussie then? It's quite a diverse place, having had waves of migration since 1788. Not everyone conforms to the Aussie stereotype, nor should they.

For me the 'spirit of becoming an Aussie' is for the sake of my kids and Aussie wife, not out of a sense of duty to Australia. If I had to choose one or the other, it would be my British nationality. No brainer really, seeing is that is where I was born, where my family lives, where I grew up etc.

British passport to renew in Australia costs $267, Australian one costs $233 so not really too much difference (enough for a couple of bottles of wine though :biggrin:)

The Australian passport has more pages than the standard UK passport so it lasts longer if you travel a lot. Plus, if you live in Australia you won't get stamps in and out of Australia so that will help with the passport's longevity. On the other hand, you would get stamps going in and out of European countries so that might be a factor to consider.

Guest The Pom Queen

If needed I would certainly give up my British Citizenship. We are Australian Citizens, have been for a number of years and my heart and sole is here. What I don't understand is those that say they would give up their British Citizenship for Oz when they have never lived here, personally I think it's mad. I really hope that when you do arrive in Oz it is everything you dreamt off. The ones who are moving back obviously started out thinking Oz was for them and it didn't work, so don't be to quick to put all your eggs in one basket.

Guest AKA63029
If needed I would certainly give up my British Citizenship. We are Australian Citizens, have been for a number of years and my heart and sole is here. What I don't understand is those that say they would give up their British Citizenship for Oz when they have never lived here, personally I think it's mad. I really hope that when you do arrive in Oz it is everything you dreamt off. The ones who are moving back obviously started out thinking Oz was for them and it didn't work, so don't be to quick to put all your eggs in one basket.

Would you believe it costs nigh on £500 to 'relinquish' UK citizenship Kate.:shocked:

All this for a few taps of a key board and 'gone'.:no:

Cheers Tony.

The Australian passport has more pages than the standard UK passport so it lasts longer if you travel a lot. Plus, if you live in Australia you won't get stamps in and out of Australia so that will help with the passport's longevity. On the other hand, you would get stamps going in and out of European countries so that might be a factor to consider.

Yes, you're correct, the Australian one has 35 pages, the British 32 pages.

Guest The Pom Queen
Would you believe it costs nigh on £500 to 'relinquish' UK citizenship Kate.:shocked:

All this for a few taps of a key board and 'gone'.:no:

Cheers Tony.

Seriously, that's outrageous :no:

I do see your point, and undoubtedly for some nationalities (Brits especially) obtaining citizenship is pretty easy and doesn't require yuo to sacrifice much, so it's a bit of a no-brainer. And I'm sure there are quite a few who obtain citizenship and don't really believe in what they are swearing to when they take it

I don't feel any shame or hypocrisy in intending to do the same though. Perhaps if I could trust Aussie governments to treat foreigners more equitably then I'd have occasion to seriously think about my motivations a bit more. But you can't trust them; they have form in changing the rules without anything much in the way of notice or consultation, primarily because it plays to the bogan vote and they don't lose any actual votes themselves in moving the goalposts. So if you want to stay here long term and your life is here (for now) then you pretty much have no choice in the matter if you want to insulate yourself from childish governments. Silly laws like those that affect RockDr and Harpo are a case in point: Married to an Aussie, kids born in Australia, paid Aussie taxes and lived there for years - surely that's enough to demonstrate commitment and, realistically, a right to remain here? But no, if you want the freedom to move somewhere else (back home or wherever) for a bit and then come back, then you have to become a citizen

I would also suggest that if you are concerned about people with dual nationality not buying into what it means "to be an Aussie" then perhaps the millions of Aussies who hold dual nationality of other countries (mostly EU, but increasingly elsewhere) should be made to relinquish their passports as well. Them having the freedom to use their British/Italian/Greek passport to travel to and work in the EU whenever they fancy it is just the same as Brits hedging their bets by taking out an Aussie passport, isn't it?

Sounds fair enough to me. You want to live here then just accept the rules. If not live somewhere else if it upsets you so much.

Aye, but they last 10 years. So 8 bottles, say, at 6 glasses a bottle over 10 years

I make that 0.013 glasses of wine a day. A sniff of the barmaid's apron

:biggrin:

The issue is though paying for both an Aussie and a British passport is really expensive for four. Not much point if you don't really need both.

Sounds fair enough to me. You want to live here then just accept the rules. If not live somewhere else if it upsets you so much.

I am accepting and abiding by the rules, and I will be taking citizenship out, once I'm eligible. Just because I'm following the rules doesn't mean I have to think they're sensible...

My point was more along the lines of, people end up HAVING to take out citizenship because that's effectively the only visa option, rather than because they feel australian and WANT to be citizens. In my case it's not so much of an issue because the UK is fine with Dual citizenship, but for those people who have to relinquish their citizenship to get Australian citizenship it's far more of an issue. I don't see that Australia would really be losing much by having an "indefinite right of abode" option for those people who meet the citizenship requirements but don't want to give up their right to move backwards and forwards between their two countries.

The issue is though paying for both an Aussie and a British passport is really expensive for four. Not much point if you don't really need both.

Yeah, I understand that, but you're still talking about $100 a year for all four. Which is hardly bankbreaking, even if the one-off cost might feel a lot at the time

I don't think I'd ever give my UK passport up regardless. I spend that sort of money on far less important things (to me) that's I'd happily forgo before losing the passport

Yeah, I understand that, but you're still talking about $100 a year for all four. Which is hardly bankbreaking, even if the one-off cost might feel a lot at the time

I don't think I'd ever give my UK passport up regardless. I spend that sort of money on far less important things (to me) that's I'd happily forgo before losing the passport

That $1000 will almost give you a holiday in Bali, it would pay for flights. I'd rather spend it on me than put it into the government coffers. :wink:

Different strokes for different folks, innit? You put one cheap holiday higher up your list of priorities than having a UK passport and what it stands for for 10 years. I wouldn't :wink:

Mind you, it would be even easier to trim $2 a week off your grocery shop, or not buy a newspaper on 2 days a week, or have one less beer per fortnight (in a pub) or week (from a bottle-o), or........

Archived