Australian citizenship or British citizenship.

yorkiegirl

as iv only been a pr in aus for 6 months and homesick its deffo british citizenship, but even if i wasnt homesick i think i would still pick british citizenship even in the state its in but i love the uk:wink:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What prompted me to ask in the first place is that we are moving back to the UK.

I met my husband out here in Australia, he is originally from Germany and came here 25 years ago. He took out Australian citizenship after the 2 years (way before I met him) and had to give up his German citizenship (don't worry, I already asked him "vat ze hell vere you sinking!!!!")

So we had to apply for a spouse visa for him so we can go to the UK as he now only has Australian citizenship, and it got me thinking, a) how lucky I am not to have had to choose, and b) what would other people do. I think a lot just take it for granted and don't really think about it (probably include myself there)

What prompted me to ask in the first place is that we are moving back to the UK.

I met my husband out here in Australia, he is originally from Germany and came here 25 years ago. He took out Australian citizenship after the 2 years (way before I met him) and had to give up his German citizenship (don't worry, I already asked him "vat ze hell vere you sinking!!!!")

So we had to apply for a spouse visa for him so we can go to the UK as he now only has Australian citizenship, and it got me thinking, a) how lucky I am not to have had to choose, and b) what would other people do. I think a lot just take it for granted and don't really think about it (probably include myself there)

"Was ist los mit dir?"

I'm not sure what I would do. I am very proud to be an Australian citizen and don't actually know how I feel about England these days. I went back in 2010 and couldn't identify with anything there (apart from the best fish and chips!). I have 2 family members who are happy to travel here to visit so I really would be a in a quandry.

I'm with Northern Bird - I really don't know what I'd do. I have no inclination to visit the UK, been here 5 years and have no thoughts of returning even for a holiday, I have lots of fond memories of my time there, but don't feel any sort of attachment to it. Having a British Passport will if i'm honest make it easier to travel around Europe if we decide to go back for a holiday, but at this moment in time it doesn't offer me any advantages.

I'm with Northern Bird - I really don't know what I'd do. I have no inclination to visit the UK, been here 5 years and have no thoughts of returning even for a holiday, I have lots of fond memories of my time there, but don't feel any sort of attachment to it. Having a British Passport will if i'm honest make it easier to travel around Europe if we decide to go back for a holiday, but at this moment in time it doesn't offer me any advantages.

It's a big disadvantage to pay to keep everything current.

Guest truebeliver

i am one of those people mentioned who would give up there uk passport to go to aus aven though i have never been to oz! crazy and stupid some might say brave and daring others might say i dont care people see britian with its lush countryside and proper tea and chocolate box houses yeah if your really well off if your not you can expect crappy overcrowded estates with perfect examples of chavs on every single one of them i live by the coast about 10 minutes drive from where i live i drive past it evey week to do my supermarket shop, good to look at but you can hardly ever enjoy it cos the weather is soooooooo cr*p i personally dont see any benefits in bieng british!!!

you could say life is what you make it but im lucky if i get to the beach with my children 5 days out of a year and i also see the australian ethic of put the study in work hard and youll reep the reward,s something that i want for my kids, in britian study and work hard and when you leave school your chance of bieng in the unemployment (dole) que is highly likely feel free to give your opinions as i have given mine

Guest brucie
We have only been here for 18months (seems like next to no time), and fully intend on getting citizenship (have to get PR and meet the 4 years first). If I couldn't do the dual citizenship, I would keep the British citizenship.

We have been here since the late 80s and our passports exspired in the mid 90s after we took out citizenship, so we could I suppose apply and get Aussie passports also the kids were born here, but can we renew our British ones? I did here that ppl were useing their Brit/pass to enter the UK so as not to have to stand there in arrivals at the "Alien " gate with the mass then use their Aus/pass on return.

We have been here since the late 80s and our passports exspired in the mid 90s after we took out citizenship, so we could I suppose apply and get Aussie passports also the kids were born here, but can we renew our British ones? I did here that ppl were useing their Brit/pass to enter the UK so as not to have to stand there in arrivals at the "Alien " gate with the mass then use their Aus/pass on return.

Yeah you can renew your British passport in Australia, my OH had to do this recently as her old one expires soon. Its fairly expensive I believe compared to the Aussie one.

i am one of those people mentioned who would give up there uk passport to go to aus aven though i have never been to oz! crazy and stupid some might say brave and daring others might say i dont care people see britian with its lush countryside and proper tea and chocolate box houses yeah if your really well off if your not you can expect crappy overcrowded estates with perfect examples of chavs on every single one of them i live by the coast about 10 minutes drive from where i live i drive past it evey week to do my supermarket shop, good to look at but you can hardly ever enjoy it cos the weather is soooooooo cr*p i personally dont see any benefits in bieng british!!!

you could say life is what you make it but im lucky if i get to the beach with my children 5 days out of a year and i also see the australian ethic of put the study in work hard and youll reep the reward,s something that i want for my kids, in britian study and work hard and when you leave school your chance of bieng in the unemployment (dole) que is highly likely feel free to give your opinions as i have given mine

Visa free travel to and throughout Europe (with full work rights) would be considered an advantage to many.

Guest truebeliver

right im gunna say this to you once

at the end of the day im not loaded if i had the money to visit oz first then of course i would, me and my familly are going to have to save every step of the way to get ourselves to oz just cos your in perth dosnt give the right to say i shouldnt want to emmigrate cos ive never been there! wtf

even if i got to oz and it was just as sh*tty as this place then hay ho i havnt lost newt

you asked which people would choose and i told you

Mod moment

Stop with the insults please. I've deleted a few posts to tidy up. Keep going and you can have a bit of time too cool off.

Take it to PM if you want to carry on mudslinging. Here is not the place for it.

Back to topic now please.

Guest brucie
right im gunna say this to you once

at the end of the day im not loaded if i had the money to visit oz first then of course i would, me and my familly are going to have to save every step of the way to get ourselves to oz just cos your in perth dosnt give the right to say i shouldnt want to emmigrate cos ive never been there! wtf

even if i got to oz and it was just as sh*tty as this place then hay ho i havnt lost newt

you asked which people would choose and i told you

Hi Truebeliver,

Save, save ,save, thats the sprit mate, we had never been here for any hols but it seemed the thing I needed to do, the farthest I had been was North Africa, but had seen Skippy on tv oh! and Prisoner, been here over 22 years now and sometimes just sometimes I reflect on my childhood, what we did/had as kids were we went and what was over the horizen as we were growing up. I worked, and worked, our children were born here and still I work and work to give them the things I never had, they are by no means spoilt I can tell you that, but we have given them something that we would never have had in the UK. This place is not heaven, the streets are not paved in gold and you dont get something for nothing, I am not meaning to say that its what you exspect give your kids the chance if you can and good look. (NOTE TO ADMIN-ANY CHANCH OF YOU FINDING THE OTHER HALF OF THIS REPLY PLEASE CHEERS)

(NOTE TO ADMIN-ANY CHANCH OF YOU FINDING THE OTHER HALF OF THIS REPLY PLEASE CHEERS)

I am not sure what you mean. Did you mean part of your reply in the above post? Please PM if you need to discuss further. Thanks.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I don't consider myself as British, I am English, does Stevie Ellis think he's not Scottish?

I will be proud to become an Australian citizen.

I will take it when I come up for parole in about 6 months, but if it meant giving up my British citizenship, no way

Ah, but the question is, when it comes to you buying that ticket for the Boxing Day Test at the G in 2013, which section of the ground will you be buying it for?

Will you pass the Aussie equivalent of Norman Tebbit's "cricket test"? Or will you feel guilty at all for failing it? :wink:

I'm tempted to suggest the Aussie equivalent of NT might be Sir Les. Cricket fan? Check. Airline Pilot? Check. Cantankerous? Check. Not sure he's thank me for drawing parallels on the politics, mind, judging by his posts

:biggrin:

Personally at the same time I won't be able to have applied for citizenship anyway, so I will be able to buy *my* ticket for the SCG without a trace of guilt or hypocrisy.....

Yeah you can renew your British passport in Australia, my OH had to do this recently as her old one expires soon. Its fairly expensive I believe compared to the Aussie one.

British passport to renew in Australia costs $267, Australian one costs $233 so not really too much difference (enough for a couple of bottles of wine though :biggrin:)

Archived