Australian citizenship or British citizenship.

yorkiegirl

Different strokes for different folks, innit? You put one cheap holiday higher up your list of priorities than having a UK passport and what it stands for for 10 years. I wouldn't :wink:

Mind you, it would be even easier to trim $2 a week off your grocery shop, or not buy a newspaper on 2 days a week, or have one less beer per fortnight (in a pub) or week (from a bottle-o), or........

Sure would put my holiday first. At the end of the day we are all going to end up in the same place, dead. I would like to go out thinking, I loved that time I spent in Asia, or wherever else I might choose to go, not thinking wish I had gone but couldn't because I had to pay for another passport that wasn't really needed because I had one already.

Maybe as you get older you will know where I am coming from, as your life left gets shorter you stop giving a toss about the silly things in life, and after all re-newing a passport just for the sake of it is a bit silly, especially when or if the need arises it can be done then.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe as you get older you will know where I am coming from, as your life left gets shorter you stop giving a toss about the silly things in life, and after all re-newing a passport just for the sake of it is a bit silly, especially when or if the need arises it can be done then.

So much for different strokes, eh?

It might be silly to you. No one's criticising you for your values, some of us just have different ones. My points were (pretty obviously, I though)

a) You can spend your money on what you like

b) Maintaining 2 passports isn't actually that expensive, if you break it down on a time basis. Which you sort of should, given that they are time-based documents

Why sad? I find it really tragic that people are almost falling over themselves to give up their British nationality. I find it ironic that one of the reasons so many Brits hate their own country is the lack of national pride in Britain..sort of like a self perpetuating myth. What is the spirit of being an Aussie then? It's quite a diverse place, having had waves of migration since 1788. Not everyone conforms to the Aussie stereotype, nor should they.

For me the 'spirit of becoming an Aussie' is for the sake of my kids and Aussie wife, not out of a sense of duty to Australia. If I had to choose one or the other, it would be my British nationality. No brainer really, seeing is that is where I was born, where my family lives, where I grew up etc.

People aren't really falling over themselves to give up their nationality. We don't have to make the choice anyway so it's a non-issue. Nor do "so many Brits hate their own country". I don't hate England but wouldn't want to go back to live there. All the talk on this thread is just hypothetical, what's it really matter anyway, what passport you hold. I didn't think it was such a big deal.

People aren't really falling over themselves to give up their nationality. We don't have to make the choice anyway so it's a non-issue. Nor do "so many Brits hate their own country". I don't hate England but wouldn't want to go back to live there. All the talk on this thread is just hypothetical, what's it really matter anyway, what passport you hold. I didn't think it was such a big deal.

really?

I would do the exact same thing, mind you I can't even apply for any visas yet, not long till I can though (25 days) :D:D

i would definately give british citizenship up if it ment i could live in oz :biggrin:

I cant wait to stop being a brit and all it stands for.Be an aussi any day

i am one of those people mentioned who would give up there uk passport to go to aus aven though i have never been to oz! crazy and stupid some might say brave and daring others might say i dont care people see britian with its lush countryside and proper tea and chocolate box houses yeah if your really well off if your not you can expect crappy overcrowded estates with perfect examples of chavs on every single one of them i live by the coast about 10 minutes drive from where i live i drive past it evey week to do my supermarket shop, good to look at but you can hardly ever enjoy it cos the weather is soooooooo cr*p i personally dont see any benefits in bieng british!!!

you could say life is what you make it but im lucky if i get to the beach with my children 5 days out of a year and i also see the australian ethic of put the study in work hard and youll reep the reward,s something that i want for my kids, in britian study and work hard and when you leave school your chance of bieng in the unemployment (dole) que is highly likely feel free to give your opinions as i have given mine

So much for different strokes, eh?

It might be silly to you. No one's criticising you for your values, some of us just have different ones. My points were (pretty obviously, I though)

a) You can spend your money on what you like

b) Maintaining 2 passports isn't actually that expensive, if you break it down on a time basis. Which you sort of should, given that they are time-based documents

I just do not see the need to spend $1000 plus (for an average family) for another passport IF you have an Australian one already, my thoughts only.

My youngest chose to have both, taking out British citizenship by descent, and having an Oz one. I totally support his choice to do so, but for me, I'm not interested in renewing my British passport. :smile:

I just do not see the need to spend $1000 plus (for an average family) for another passport IF you have an Australian one already, my thoughts only.

My youngest chose to have both, taking out British citizenship by descent, and having an Oz one. I totally support his choice to do so, but for me, I'm not interested in renewing my British passport. :smile:

Particularly if you are a regular traveller as you have to leave and enter Australia on your Australian one, I can't see the need to keep a valid GB one too. It's something you are always entitled to at the end of the day.

really?

Most of those are talking about giving up their passport, not their nationality. Don't reckon you can change your nationality anyway. You are what you are. Having an Australian passport only doesn't make me any less British or English. Not really a big deal.

Most of those are talking about giving up their passport, not their nationality. Don't reckon you can change your nationality anyway. You are what you are. Having an Australian passport only doesn't make me any less British or English. Not really a big deal.

the way I read it they were more than happy to deny their Britishness in favour of being Aussies

Most of those are talking about giving up their passport, not their nationality.

No they weren't. Go and check if you like

Don't reckon you can change your nationality anyway. You are what you are. Having an Australian passport only doesn't make me any less British or English. Not really a big deal.

I agree with you on those points tho'

Erm actually it is possible to relinquish British nationality, and citizens of certain countries do have to give up their birth-country's nationality in order to become Australian. That's the whole point of the thread, what would people choose if taking Australian citizenship meant giving up British citizenship.

Of the 32 pages in the British passpert, many are not useable for stamps - I think it shakes down to about 25 useable pages IIRC.

From a girlie point of view ..... the Aussie passport has pretty pictures on each of it's pages

From a girlie point of view ..... the Aussie passport has pretty pictures on each of it's pages

When I was checking in to fly home from Singapore recently the lady on the counter told me the Australian passports are her favourites because she thought they looked the nicest and came with covers

I would never in a million years give up my British passport as also being a French resident, I can imagine the complications attempting to return to France on an Aussie passport. The fact of having so many countries available to live in wouldn't be something that I would surrender no matter what my status was in Australia.

They've changed the design again of the British passports since 2010 :( no more pretty birds on this year's version. Sad that my prettiest passport so far only got a couple of trips before I had to renew it due to name change.

Guest guest17301

The spirit of becoming an Aussie and what that means to many is joining a country whos peoples are all immigrants in one shape or form, its diversity is what makes it what it is....Australia can teach the UK a thing or two about multiculturalism in my opinion. It works here...it doesnt work in the UK

If I HAD to choose Id choose Australia, simply because I dont want to leave and were happy here but I wouldnt willingly give up my Brtish passport though I dont feel a strong pull/bond with the place its where Im from.

I cant wait till next Jan when we can apply for Citizenship, for me it is not a convenience thing its because I will be proud to consider myself a 'citizen' and part of the continued growth of this wonderful country

Australia can teach the UK a thing or two about multiculturalism in my opinion. It works here...it doesnt work in the UK

This depends on where you live in Oz though. I am in Perth where there appears to be no problem at all. A few years ago I was working in Richmond, outside of Sydney and went to a pub called the mean fiddler. I think it was supposed to be Australias best pub at the time. It's a really big place with a lot of bars. Noticed a lot of security staff there as they stand out dressed in dryzabone coats and miked up to each. Later on in the evening we were stood next to the dance floor and some guy was being pushy with a girl who didn't want to dance with him, He ended up trying to shove a cigarette down he dress. The securtiy guy came over and intervened before things got too out of hand. The guy was with a bunch of mates who we were stood near and after it had calmed down they started chatting to us. Up to this point I'd never realised there is a problem with Lebanese out that way, never even come across anyone who called themselves Lebanese.

The guy and his friends were fine with us but said how hard they were and the bouncer didn't know who he was messing with and how they would be back the next week with a bunch of their mates to wreck the place and sort out the bouncers. They made it plain that they were all Lebanese extraction, some of them born here but all called themselves Lebanese and obviously thought they rules the roost around those parts.

Could just have been beer talking, as so often happens, doubt very much that they went back and did what they threatened but it was obvious there is a bit of racial tension in those parts.

This was before the riots in Cronulla so was so totally unexpected and foreign to anything I had witnessed in Perth.

Archived