Why does everyone insist on offering me wine and cheese??

JoandJon

Ok, yep it's happened - only took about 2 years and a move to the other side of the world but......

I'm preggers!!! Still early days (I'm about 8 weeks) and I'm rather shell-shocked

But everywhere I turn people are talking about wine, drinking wine, offering me raffle tickets to win a great big basket of soft cheese.......

So what's my favourite tipple atm? Ginger beer cordial (Bickfords)

What's my favourite wine? Bugger off and go away

:)

Guest Guest16631

..........congratulations..!..................there are some nice non alcoholic wines..........a good imagination ............and voila!............tink x

Cheers all :)

I'm not going to be a food-nazi I'm afraid, I'm following one of good friend's approaches:

Problem with most foods is to do with hygiene and storage, ergo, I will eat various things so long as they are of good quality.

I won't eat unpasturised cheese, but you can't get it in Oz anyway :) And I HATE blue cheese with a passion anyway, so that's no trauma at all!!.

I really am seriously addicted to Ginger Beer cordial at the moment, although the fab barman at the Wild Oak on Sunday night made me the most amazing mocktail that I liked so much I asked how he did it!! It tasted almost like a mojito - but nicer :)

1 lime, cut into wedges and muddled with some fresh mint leaves, then into a glass with some crushed ice and top it up with apple juice.

It's seriously good :)

I'm not going to be a food-nazi I'm afraid, I'm following one of good friend's approaches:

Problem with most foods is to do with hygiene and storage, ergo, I will eat various things so long as they are of good quality.

I won't eat unpasturised cheese, but you can't get it in Oz anyway :) And I HATE blue cheese with a passion anyway, so that's no trauma at all!!.

I really am seriously addicted to Ginger Beer cordial at the moment, although the fab barman at the Wild Oak on Sunday night made me the most amazing mocktail that I liked so much I asked how he did it!! It tasted almost like a mojito - but nicer :)

1 lime, cut into wedges and muddled with some fresh mint leaves, then into a glass with some crushed ice and top it up with apple juice.

I was actually reading up on this the other day after chatting to my pregnant friend and discovering the whole no soft-cheese thing, because me without cheese would be a scary proposition. Apparently soft cheeses are fine if you've cooked them, so I think I'll be surviving on four cheese pizza if ever we have kids.

dips: yoghurt is apparently ok, so Tzatziki would be fine, as would hummous, guacamole etc. All of which are incredibly easy to make at home and taste better than the bought stuff anyway...

edit to add: forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I was actually reading up on this the other day after chatting to my pregnant friend and discovering the whole no soft-cheese thing, because me without cheese would be a scary proposition. Apparently soft cheeses are fine if you've cooked them, so I think I'll be surviving on four cheese pizza if ever we have kids.

dips: yoghurt is apparently ok, so Tzatziki would be fine, as would hummous, guacamole etc. All of which are incredibly easy to make at home and taste better than the bought stuff anyway...

edit to add: forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Cheers :)

I found similar information about cheese just recently too - which means I CAN have brie, so long as it's deep friend or on pizza! :) Yummmmmmmmm

And I love home-made dips so it's all good, I've tried a non-alcoholic wine and it wasn't too bad - a bit sweet for my tastes, but actually pretty good..

And I can still have PB on toast so it's all good :) If anyone tells me I can't have Peanut Butter I will have to kill them - (besides I've checked, there's no clear evidence it's bad or linked to allergies so pffft)

That sounds great! Occasional glass of wine won`t harm you either, take it from a medical professional:wink:

. I was so careful with my 1st one that I did not put a color on my hair till he was born. With the 2nd baby I went for color every 2-3 months and drank a little wine maybe 5x during pregnancy. Not having a 3rd one:biggrin:. Both my kids are healthy and VERY smart:laugh:

. Enjoy your pregnancy :wubclub:

Ripper, a PIO nipper !!!!

Congratulations !

It's only unpasteurised cheese you should avoid - that doesn't mean soft cheese. in fact you'd be hard pressed to find an unpateaurised cheese these days unless you live in France. It should also be labelled as such - so sit back, relax and knock yourself out on cheese & ginger beer.

Check out Jamie Oliver's gingerbread recipe !

Jo!!!!!

I've just caught up!

Many many congratulations from all of us!

Now I understand why you were keen for Jon to find a job, all that spare time on his hands has clearing let his mind wander on to other activities and I'm not talking 'brew or yourself'.....

.....although my warped sense of humour did find that last sentence amusing!

Hope to see you Saturday!

Take (extra) care

Geoff

:jiggy:Congratulations. A playmate for Satchdog. Will she be prepared to share her paddling pool? I'm sure I read somewhere that it's very dangerous to do any cleaning, ironing or laundry while you're pregnant. Maybe Jon will have to take over those chores?

Congratulations!!!

You will also notice that everywhere you look there are pregnant women!

I'm pregnant with our third it's killing me and I'm only 15 weeks! Enjoy your first pregnancy it's the best one you'll have they get progressively worse, doesn't stop the hormones making you want more though!!!!!:wacko:

Congratulations! What wonderful news.

As for the food thing, you're right, there is no unpasteurised cheese in Australia. However, that didn't stop the food-Nazi on the cheese counter at David Jones in Bondi Junction saying (in quite a nasty voice) "I hope this isn't for you" when I was buying up a cheese platter for my leaving party from work at 8 1/2 months pregnant. I felt like opening the brie and taking a big bite in front of her....I refrained though! Perhaps she thought I was just fat and shouldn't be eating cheese full-stop!

Good luck with everything.

Archived