Never thought I would be a boomerang Pom, but here I am posting on here.

ghost

Well before coming out here, I always thought this was a really sad thread , as I knew how much I had wanted to come out here and how long it took us.

After much deliberation we have made our decision to go home.

We always said that we would come over here , and decide after 6 months whether we wanted to make our lives here, or just say we had a wonderful holiday and return home. It seems that the latter won.

We always had a plan B. we kept our house empty in case we decided to return, so it's easier for us more than most to do a u turn.

We have had a great time here , and no regrets at coming. It's something we had to do , and I'm glad we did. We have made some great friends, and seen and done some great things.

Reasons to return.

My eldest daughter turns 18 next month and plans to return.

my empty house needs to either be sold or rented at this point now and my other half can't bring herself to do either.

My other two kids never seem to go out or have friends over , altho they are very social kids and do have lots of friends! My 14 year old says the kids here seem much more grown up here.

Kids are bored of the beach and are sat in front of trash tv most of the time.

We miss our buzzing social life at home.

Most places here, whilst beautiful , are very much the same. There's not much contrast . In the uk you can travel to cities a couple of hours away and see something different in all of them.

Its expensive for everything.

Not much choice with food shopping.

Not much choice with any shopping, all shopping centres are the same.

Of course there are lots of things , that aus beats the uk hands down, but these are the reasons we think we would be applied in the uk.

Our money is still in the uk , and with the rate being at an all time low, we can make a bit back on what we transfer back.

We told the family yesterday, and they are all crying (hopefully with joy) the kids are all the happiest they have been in ages, looks like the right thing for u s to do.

Guest SupportPants

Agree with so much of your post. Good luck back in the UK. I never thought I'd tire of beaches but give me some decent TV, a choice of 100 types of crisps, an M&S foodhall and a gaggle of chums down a decent pub - can't wait to be back in London for a month in March.

Good luck with your move back to the UK. I think the fact you didnt sale or rent your house out means subcontiously that you hadnt really felt the move was perminant, like you say you always had that thought in your head and maybe that rubbed off on the kids too. Hope returning makes you happy if not you can always come back :wink:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Best of luck at least you tried it and can see the positives of life in Australia, it doesn't suit everyone and the uk still has alot to offer.

Good luck mate, we're looking at going to Perth, we're going with the same attitude as you did.

if you don't try it you'll never know.

At least in a few years time you can say, well we gave It a go and not if only we did try it.

Were going to rent our house here so weve got something to return to ( if needed)!!!

All the best

Ian

Hi Ghost, just wanted to wish you all the best with your move back. I can understand where you are coming from, as I emigrated to Perth with 2 girls who were 15 at the time we moved. Like you, my one was adament at 18 she was moving back to Canada.

We moved back to Canada just over a year ago, after spending 2 years in Perth. Our reasons for moving back was OH lost his job, and I got offered my old position back in Canada. We are back in our old city and the girls are in high school with all their old friends from public school. They have slotted back in nicely. Funnily enough, my one daughter keeps harping about how much easier it was in Australia (school and driving), it doesn't help that her best friend moved back to NZ after we moved back to Canada.

Do I regret moving back to Canada .... No, do I miss Australia.... Yes, but it was a great experience, even for the kids. Most of us who emigrate to the other side of the world, do not do it with the intention of moving back, however, none of us know how we will feel until we actually experience it. I think moving with teenagers has to be the hardest, just due to their age and mindset.

Just wanted to wish you all the best, and enjoy the rest of your time until you fly back to the UK, soak it all in, now that the decision has been made, everything will seem more enjoyable. Take lots of pics and look back at your time in Australia with fondness.

Cheers

Karen

Agree with so much of your post. Good luck back in the UK. I never thought I'd tire of beaches but give me some decent TV, a choice of 100 types of crisps, an M&S foodhall and a gaggle of chums down a decent pub - can't wait to be back in London for a month in March.

London .....as much as i hate some of it .....run down .....overcrowded etc ....IT IS THE CENTRE OF THE WESTERN WORLD .

We had the priviledge of coming back through london after a tour .

We were driven past all the sites .....and the place is always " buzzing " .

The architecture .....the history ....is available ,on that scale in very few places .

Westminster .....kensington and chelsea .....everyone outside the pubs on a summers evening .....fantastic

London .....as much as i hate some of it .....run down .....overcrowded etc ....IT IS THE CENTRE OF THE WESTERN WORLD .

The architecture .....the history ....is available ,on that scale in very few places .

Westminster .....kensington and chelsea .....everyone outside the pubs on a summers evening .....fantastic

Being a Londoner the allure and magnetic pull never waivers never has. Add to your list Borough Market, a walk along the Thames from Putney Bridge loitering around the parks sitting on bench reading a book, going to 'free' museums, although i do throw a few bob in the box. I still love riding the tube, shopping choices, and The Grenadiers Pub along the embankment.

But above all for me, I miss my football, sure its on tv at all hours of the night here, but im too tired to stay up. In fact add Rugby to that now the Six Nations is on, and all the British mysteries that we get ages later... i lived in the States and though Oz would be easier...on this front we are so isolated and there is naff all to do. Beaches so I can get eaten or skin cancer, sure they are lovely clean but its too hot. I'd give anything to sit in a Costa with a Sunday supplement and a large Coffee....

Best of luck to you and yes im jealous and mad as hell its not me YET!

Guest samanthajaynemorgan

It's great that you are so positive about the move back...... a lot of money to spend on a short stay though. This is my big concern that we will come out and then decide that actually the grass was greener where we were (so to speak) and that we would return home with significanly less security behind us. I understand though that your daughter is a big factor....the same could very well happen to us as we have two grown up daughters who we hope will join us in OZ. Can't think about a future without them:(

At the moment we tell ourselves that it will be an adventure and if it doesnt work out we will come home....but at what cost. Sounds like you have been prepared for this and kept your house etc. We will not be in that position as we will need to sell our house to release equity to go. A very thought provoking thread. Thanks for sharing your experience with us and all the very best for the future.

Being a Londoner the allure and magnetic pull never waivers never has. Add to your list Borough Market, a walk along the Thames from Putney Bridge loitering around the parks sitting on bench reading a book, going to 'free' museums, although i do throw a few bob in the box. I still love riding the tube, shopping choices, and The Grenadiers Pub along the embankment.

But above all for me, I miss my football, sure its on tv at all hours of the night here, but im too tired to stay up. In fact add Rugby to that now the Six Nations is on, and all the British mysteries that we get ages later... i lived in the States and though Oz would be easier...on this front we are so isolated and there is naff all to do. Beaches so I can get eaten or skin cancer, sure they are lovely clean but its too hot. I'd give anything to sit in a Costa with a Sunday supplement and a large Coffee....

Best of luck to you and yes im jealous and mad as hell its not me YET!

What about the ride on the open top bus on a summers morning ?.........drink in hand ......you could spend all day on there :biglaugh:

How very true. Do so miss summer in London. They are even getting a beach next summer down in Greenwich. We returned there 2010 and lived three months in Bayswater (W2) and simply fantastic. Living in London one barely needs to travel abroad.

As an example the World Cup was on in RSA(Football) What a city to catch the atmosphere.South Lambeth Rd where Little Portugal has established had street parties which where attended by many thousands of the large 150,000 Portuguese community based in London. Pub to pub decked out in their colours. Pure magic. A pub very close to where I lived became one of the numerous Spanish supporters places. It could easily have been Madrid whenever Spain played. Hundreds of Spainairds in the vacinity singing and chanting.

Almost every national team present had at least one pub for their supporters. Big screen at Trafalgar Square whenever England played. Here in Perth there was supposed to have been one set up near me in Leederville. On return found out it was cancelled due to police concern about crowd control.

Besides special events just the sense of living in a truely international city is to me an awesome feeling. Always found it easy enough to have contact and the diverse range of discussions away from what one does and suburb one lives was truely refreshing. A great city if not too many responsibilities. For a single or couple without kids and not too materially inclined a very inspiring city indeed.

Archived