Does anyone find being called a pom annoying.

ghost

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Pom Queen

It doesn't bother me one bit, I always refer to myself and friends as poms (I never for one minute thought they may be offended)

Sometimes it would pish me off, it depended on who, how & in what context it was said.

If said in friendly banter then I was fine.

But sometimes it came across as derogatory and bullying if the person used an unfriendly tone of voice or used the term in a slaying fashion.

Also, if for no reason the term whinging was added, I would feel bullied. Even if a 'pom' does complain this is no excuse to name call.

It's all about context: it's obvious when it's meant in a light hearted manner (95% of the time) and that's fine. Occasionally however it does spill into the "bloody whingeing pom" (ie bullying, xenophobic) territory, usually among bogans who feel intimidated by someone who can string a sentence together without resorting to the F word.

Guest Guest31881

I have no problem with being called a Pom, I introduce myself as my wife's pommie husband.

What does concern me is that people who do not like to be called Poms join a migration forum called POMS In Oz :laugh::tongue:

Well its a strange world we live in.....:biggrin:

Don't mind that much, most of the time it's in jest. I refer to myself and my mates as poms too. It's only when there's real malice behind it I don't like. Interestingly, in my experience, it seems a lot of Aussies call all the British "The Poms" indiscriminately, it's usually the Celts who make the biggest fuss about not being called that. Still if you prefer Jock or Taff, each to his own...

There's a bit of a lack of an appropriate nickname for the Aussies, Ive heard of 'Strines but my personal choice of the moment would be Chain-Dragger.

I suppose it is how they call you a Pom? If you think they are being offensive then give as good as you get!

I remember a friend telling us a great story when on a visit to Oz years ago. At customs he was asked if he had a criminal record and he replied "is it obligatory?".... :laugh:

Needless to say he was subjected to a "thorough" search :eek:, don't think he'll do it again!

what exactly does POM stand for?

i dont think it would bother me as i am sure i would just give them a volly of abuse back, friendly context ofcourse. i would probably point them in the correct direction ........... IM A JOCK.

I got called pom a cpl of times on our reccie,and they thought we were scots or irish so not sure it matters tbh??

I've never called anyone a Pom in a mean way. I can't help thinking though that if this is the worst thing you are ever called during your life you won't have done too badly.

But this misses the point. The word itself isnt offensive, but it certainly could be, depending on the intent of the person using the term. Parodoxically being on the receiving end of some of choicest foulest language may be harmless, even laughable, as it suggests the 'giver' has the problem

Archived