Does anyone find being called a pom annoying.

ghost

Not been called a Pom yet, but early days, only been here 6mths......would call myself one tho

However referring to the above quote, wouldn't that make the Aussies poms? Just a thought......

The "prisoner of mother england" is just one of many theories and no-one knows which one is correct.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The "prisoner of mother england" is just one of many theories and no-one knows which one is correct.

No one will ever know, either, same as for the etymology of most slang - it's much like the origin of "gopping", "wazzock" or "barmychuff"

Still, talk about the origin of slang terms keeps Vicky Coren on our screens, so it can't be all bad :biggrin:

True. The other one is that it's an abreviation of "pomegranate"...............an indicator of English (burnt) complexion shortly after they arrive.

True Maryrose, but still a scouse/Jordie/Manc etc would not like to be called these names in a derogatory or negative manner etc

Also, when in the uk it's your accent that determines your origin & this is something you grow up knowing, used to & proud of (sometimes, but nonetheless fully aware of). When we arrive in au & called a pom it's alien. We are not used to it, especially when said in a name calling sentence.

So what is a Pom? when I was younger many moons ago I was told it was someone who was English? or is it all Brits?

I'm told it means Prisoner of Mother England and has historial roots in prisoners that were sent to Australia. Although I do believe there is no official definition, this is just one of many possibilities (although I think this one makes most sense). And as such it would applied to Aussie who have roots back to the UK, it was a Aussie who pointed that out to me!

Either way I don't mind being a pom as long as there's no malice intended.

True. The other one is that it's an abreviation of "pomegranate"...............an indicator of English (burnt) complexion shortly after they arrive.

When you do a tour of Fremantle Prison they tell you that Pom is the abreviation of Pomegranate, like you say because the prisoners were brought from England, in the dark hold of ships and then put out into the courtyards of the prison, where there was no shade and on the summer the heat would be around 50c. No sunsreens and no hats, you can imagine the colour of their cheeks!

Guest Guest31881
When you do a tour of Fremantle Prison they tell you that Pom is the abreviation of Pomegranate, like you say because the prisoners were brought from England, in the dark hold of ships and then put out into the courtyards of the prison, where there was no shade and on the summer the heat would be around 50c. No sunsreens and no hats, you can imagine the colour of their cheeks!

Then of course is the third version of Pom, and that is that they were called Pommie because they used to eat pomegranates to stop scurvy setting in. This would be the same as the Americans calling the British limey's because the British sailors who went to America ate limes to keep scurvy at bay.

personal preference is for the red cheeks, But choose what ever you like, they are all just theories..:twitcy:

Guest rsargent94372

I agree with 2tigers, as long as it is said in a friendly manner its ok with me.

Interesting thing is POM means prisoner of her Majesty which funnily enough is not what any modern British people are, any white Australians are most likely descendants of prisoners from Britain, so really they are POMS not us!!:biggrin:

Mind you I would rather be called a POM all day then leave this country! Love it here.

What I find annoying is being told how the rain reminding me of home (anyone in sydney will know the amount of rain we have been having)

Doesn't it remind you of home then? I said to a bloke at Bronte last night as I walked into the pool that if I was in England I'd have my deckchair out. Turned out he was a Pom too, lives in Castle Hill and we had an interesting chat about pensions and his idea to retire to Spain. He could have been an Aussie and either way it's a good way to get talking to strangers.

Come to think of it, they don't do deckchairs on the prom here do they? Not in Sydney anyway!

I suppose its the same as the Irish being called Paddy's and the Americans being called Yanks.

Do the Americans still call us 'Limey's?' (Was it Capt Cook's idea to feed limes to his crew to stave off scurvy?)

I don't think it would go down to well in the southern states of the US calling them 'Yankees' either!

Archived