What have you done today to get yourself to OZ?

thewebweazel

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What trade are you mate? I've got my skype interview on Monday at 9am, only a 4hr drive to get there:mad:

I'm a Security technician, my skype interview was at 9am too in Edinburgh, it was only a 2-2.5 hr drive for me but decided to drive up the night before with the wife and kids and make a night of it, we booked an apartment. The idea was i could check out parking etc at the venue beforehand and have a less stressful commute in the morning. Are you going to Glasgow first thing or the night before?

Best of luck with the interview.

W

I'm setting off at 3am to get there for around 7, bit of a kip in the car and then into the interview.

I cannot believe that we cannot do skype interviews from the comfort of our own homes, they cited security to me but they have 2 photos of me (certified) and a colour copy of my passport (also certified)

Guest scrumpy

Hi pabs,

Flight booked for Sept 3rd, going to chill in Perth for a few days, then heading south to Bunbury and everthing else inbetween and near by, have giving ourselves a few weeks to have a good look and hopfully find the right place to live, and then will try and make everthing work/ happen from there

So should be getting TWO summers back to back, which will make up for last year!

When you off Scrumpy?Perth is it?

Hi pabs,

Flight booked for Sept 3rd, going to chill in Perth for a few days, then heading south to Bunbury and everthing else inbetween and near by, have giving ourselves a few weeks to have a good look and hopfully find the right place to live, and then will try and make everthing work/ happen from there

So should be getting TWO summers back to back, which will make up for last year!

Good stuff mate! dont always agree with you on every subject,as you know:biggrin::laugh:,but best of luck to you and yours,hope its all you want me arl tater:wink:

Well after a blooming long day I'm back at home. My day went pretty well and I'm 99% sure that I have done what I need to get a positive outcome. The assessor told me the interview could last between 20 mins to 2 hrs depending on how accurate I was with my descriptions.

25 mins later he told me I was done and I should have my results by Wednesday, I took that I finished so soon as a positve and I'm definitely looking forward to Wednesday:biggrin:

p.s. If anyone is having a carpentry assessment done feel free to get in touch and I'll tell you what he asked me!

Hi Tony

In the interview the guy I spoke to was a carpenter, he still worked as a carpenter now and had worked in the UK previously so he knew UK practices. He had also read through all of my documentary evidence that had been sent through.

He explained that he would be asking me a series of set questions from a booklet but it would be done on a conversation level rather than a question and answers level. The test could be up to 2 hours long depending what you said as he had check boxes to tick off as you used words and phrases that he needed to here.

The first part was about safety and this is geared up to safety on site, not residential work and what's applicable in Aus. I wish I'd have known that but I spoke about what safety is like here and he just clarified it when things were significantly different in Oz.

He asked about working in trenches, at what depth they needed shoring up (1.5m). He asked about scaffolding and specifically what height they needed to be erected professionally (in Oz 4m) and about using harnesses for working at hieghts.

Then he quizzed me about setting out buildings prior to excavation, how would I do it. Dumpy levels from datums, measuring from existing buildings marked on the site drawing etc. squaring up.

Then he asked me to describe laying a suspended timber foor, fitting a window and finally trussed roof then a traditional roof.

It was a very friendly and informal chat and I got the feeling he could tell if you were a chippy or not straight away.

Good luck

p.s. If you haven't done your documentary evidence yet make sure you make it as thorough as possible, go over the top, go into lots of details about what you have done as he reads it. He said he was impressed with the level of my qualifications and the amount of varying experience that I had:notworthy:

Opened our Aussie bank account and tried to transfer funds into it, without success:frown:

BUT have finally finished all of our packing:jiggy:. Storage guys coming to collect on Friday, whoohooo am so relieved not to look at any more boxes for a while.

Hi Guys! Im new to the forum.... Me and my Fiance are currently beginning what seems to be the HUGE task of getting ready for the move to Aus.

Today I Filled out 85% of my 47SP form, dug out my Birth certificate, listed a ton of things on ebay and took two huge cases of stuff to the charity shop...

Phew!

This morning I got an email from Victoria University, it informed me that I passed my Trade Assessment and I'm now the pround owner of an AQF III in carpentry. I've filled in my EOI and have 70 points so now I'm waiting to see if they invite us!

When are the next round of invites? Next Monday?

Been sitting watching Flight Tracker most of the day to see where my dog is in the world! She has just landed in Sydney! Woohoo! Now just need to wait 5 hours before i can call Eastern Creek to see how she is......Oh and packed 2 suitcases of my own ready for our flight next Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!! x

Been sitting watching Flight Tracker most of the day to see where my dog is in the world! She has just landed in Sydney! Woohoo! Now just need to wait 5 hours before i can call Eastern Creek to see how she is......Oh and packed 2 suitcases of my own ready for our flight next Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!! x

Any news? Is your dog OK?

What an anxious wait.

Well after 12 months getting to the EOI stage I cannot believe that I had an email this morning saying WA were looking at my EOI with regards to SS. It was only lodged on the 29th and that was after they had finished work so less than 24hrs!

Anyone know how long it usually take to hear anything more?

Well after 12 months getting to the EOI stage I cannot believe that I had an email this morning saying WA were looking at my EOI with regards to SS. It was only lodged on the 29th and that was after they had finished work so less than 24hrs!

Anyone know how long it usually take to hear anything more?

Less than 24 hrs later I've been asked to apply for SS for WA. This is scarily fast:err: but I'm made up:biggrin:

Archived