Moved to Australia and love it?

Jems30

I just read a thread on those that are moving back to the UK after not liking a new life in Oz.

I just wondered are there people have lived there a long time and love it and wouldn't return? There must be:wink:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

You have to understand that there are 45,000 members on PIO and less than 1% of the members are thinking about coming back and of those who are only a very small percentage don't like Australia. I think you are dwelling on the negative posts and its like everything thats popular, what ever it is, there are always some that don't like what the majority love, its human nature. Most people come back because they miss family and friends, not because the don't like Australia.

LOL, There are plenty of us 'poms' out here. We have been here almost 5 years and are still enjoying life, migrating can be hard especially those first few months but if you can clear the hurdles you can sure have a good life out here.

Cal x

I just read a thread on those that are moving back to the UK after not liking a new life in Oz.

I just wondered are there people have lived there a long time and love it and wouldn't return? There must be:wink:

Yus! 48...nay, almost 49 years in Australia and love it with a passion. When my old lady had her 100th birthday in Yorkshire, I didn't go to the UK...When the old dear passed on at age 101 I didn't go to the funeral...Wild horses couldn't drag me there.

I went back to the UK for a 6 month holiday in 1967, 4 years after I left the UK...It lasted only 1 month as I was so disillusioned; the place had sunk even further into the mire and I vowed never to go back again.

Cheers, Bobj.

sorry for completely jumping the post but its just a quick question! bob whats mackay like to live? been looking at which state has the most jobs for dave ( excavator operator ) saw that there were a few in Mackay so just wondering if its nice and cost of living there. I can make a different thread and ask if anybody minds me jumping in on their post! :wubclub:

41 years here now and still loving it, the first 5 were the hardest, Like Bob, I went back in 92 and wanted to come back to Oz after 3 days, funny how I hadn't really thought of Oz as being home until then, and I don't want to leave these shores again.

Coming up 37 years in Melbourne now plus a while in Tassie. Wouldn't go back, ever. No longer even bother to visit now, even as a tourist. My Dad came out permanently aged 80 for the last 5 years of his life and said he only wished he had come out years before.

Guest guest30038

Been here 16yrs and have only been back once for a month. Loved touring the highlands and islands and that's all that I miss about the place, plus the fact that I have 3 sons and 6 grandchildren over there. Miss them but still have no inkling to return ever, other than to have my ashes scattered on ben nevis or the cuillins.........I'll decide later

Been here 4.5 years and we are settled and content, whilst I don't have any plans to go back (not even for a holiday at the moment), I can empathise having friends who struggled to settle that it's not an easy process. We consider Australia our home, we became Australian Citizens in 2009 and have a life that is comparable to the one we left in the UK (which does help). There are of course things that 'bug us' ... but that's life and would occur wherever we lived. For those considering moving ... take the plunge, it doesn't have to be forever, but you may find that it is

Ali

Guest nicky0
Coming up 37 years in Melbourne now plus a while in Tassie. Wouldn't go back, ever. No longer even bother to visit now, even as a tourist. My Dad came out permanently aged 80 for the last 5 years of his life and said he only wished he had come out years before.

Hi i hope you don't mind me messaging you, but I noticed you said you had lived in Melbourne for 37 years I was just wondering if you could give me some info about suburbs. We are arriving on 22nd November and now starting to panick a bit about where we are going to live. We quite fance Melton - do you know this area at all. I am also looing at possibly staying in the CBD for a week or two when we first arrive so we can have a good look around ourselves before choosing - do you know of any reasonable serviced apts or hotels?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Nicky:unsure:

Thank you all. I loved reading your replies :-)

It really is a tough decision, but I don't think hubby will ever give up;-)

I know my mum doesn't want me to go, she is forever saying 'Australia is just another country with sun, there's more to life than that' grrr!

My family have given me such stress over the years and still do at times. I have suffered anxiety issues since my childhood due to a very abusive upbringing from my father, so my husband thinks a fresh start is exactly what we need. Maybe I do need a break, as the issues with my family seem to crop up all too often;-(

We have been here for thirty five years and I lived here before I got married and returned to UK so its longer for me.

I loved Aus the first day I arrived with my two friends in 1968, it was July and we were in Sydney and it was a lovely warm day and I still remember the feeling.

We have lived in Melbourne for a long long time now and we are happy here, would not live anywhere but on the Mornington Peninsula though.

If you want to settle then look for areas with lots of facilities so that you can get out and about. Unfortunately Melton gets a bad rap but that said I would not like to live there at the present time. It may get better over time as the northern western suburbs get more facilities and more people move to these areas. It is the growth corridor of Melbourne so people are moving there and of course its cheaper.

It will really depend on where you are working where you live as if you are like me you do not want to spend hours in the car or on transport getting to and from work.

Good luck

Guest guest30038
I have suffered anxiety issues since my childhood due to a very abusive upbringing from my father, so my husband thinks a fresh start is exactly what we need. Maybe I do need a break, as the issues with my family seem to crop up all too often;-(

Hiya Jems.

I'm afraid hun that it is a misconception (generally) that a fresh start will negate issues arising from abuse. Initially, just the opposite may be the case as that "fresh start" can trigger varying emotions that one may not be equipped to deal with whilst under stress.

I was lucky in that I was kept too busy with two rug rats once I arrived here to dwell on the past, and much of the anxiety/depression that I suffered in the UK did not trouble me in the early years here.

Later though, when the kids were in schooling, and I had more time to myself, certain situations, triggered the past yet again, and the only thing that helped was counselling and meds (which I now take for life).

I'm not trying to scare you but merely putting you "on guard" for events that may arise and overwhelm you whilst going through the stressful activities related to migration and your subsequent arrival here.

On the upside, I have to say that the treatment that I received, and the impact of better circumstance and surroundings here, resulted in me becoming a much more "stable" and happier person that I had been in the UK.

Good luck

kev

Hi Jems

Been here 21 years and would not consider going back at least not whilst we’re still working. Might do so once we retire given we have no kids and no other family here but, with kids of your own, I’m sure you’ll settle in after a period. Depending on tastes and hobbies, some things will grate but you can compensate for Aus’s shortcomings in many ways.

The issue of parents is always a difficult one. In my case, I found both my sister’s and mother’s feelings changed markedly after they had the chance to visit, see the country and relate to the things we chat about on the phone. If you do make the move, I’d suggest you encourage your mother to visit as soon as possible – it will help dispel any misconceptions she has as well as making her feel a part of your new life.

Born and raised here in Melbourne (Brit parents) and have lived here most of my life except a few years on and off in the UK for extended working holidays etc. It has changed a lot, even in the last 20 years I think, but it is still growing, some places which were farming land in the south east (Lyndhurst, Packenham, Drouin etc) are all now in one of the big growth corridors as Petals says, but people have to live somewhere ! Regarding Melton, it is also a growth area, but it is quite flat and windy out there, some other suburbs are a bit better, depends if you like one of the large housing estate suburbs or more established. Depends on how far you want to travel, but it doesn't take as long as it once took from the outer suburbs of Melbourne, traffic is a bit chaotic at times, sure, but there are more freeways now than when I was younger. I was out in Gisborne (past the airport) the other day and was surprised how short the commute was back to the other side of town, although it wasn't school pickup time, LOL. If you are thinking of the Melton side of town, there are other suburbs to look at which might suit you. Have a bit of a drive around that will give you a feel for things - have you looked on realestate.com.au ad they cover surrounding suburbs too.

could there be a split between the people who came here 5-10 years ago when the pound was strong, housing was cheap and costs of living was much lower (food/fuel), compared to people moving here now, when the pound is worth nothing, housing is unaffordable and costs of living are soaring?

Guest aekpani
LOL, There are plenty of us 'poms' out here. We have been here almost 5 years and are still enjoying life, migrating can be hard especially those first few months but if you can clear the hurdles you can sure have a good life out here.

Cal x

Can you please elaborate what kind of hurdles and what are the possible solutions? :)

Thank you all. I loved reading your replies :-)

It really is a tough decision, but I don't think hubby will ever give up;-)

I know my mum doesn't want me to go, she is forever saying 'Australia is just another country with sun, there's more to life than that' grrr!

My family have given me such stress over the years and still do at times. I have suffered anxiety issues since my childhood due to a very abusive upbringing from my father, so my husband thinks a fresh start is exactly what we need. Maybe I do need a break, as the issues with my family seem to crop up all too often;-(

Your Mum sounds like my Father in law when we came. He asked why I wanted to go and the first thing that popped into my head was "the weathers a lot better". He wasn't impressed and said he thought I would have a bit moe of a reason than that.

They have visited heaps of times now, as all our relatives have. They all loved it and said it was the best thing we could have done. My Sister and family (2 nieces aand their boyfriends and a nephew) came out on holiday a few years ago and loved it so much they went back and applied for emigration. My brother in law is in the police so we thought they would stand a good chance. The only police force recruiting at the time was South Australia and they wanted about 100 people. There were about 800 applicants and they got through to an interview at the embassy in London where they got told they were in a pool and just missed out on being selected. They never heard anything since. All of them were devastated at the time as they had put their lives on hold for a while and missed out on a house the really wanted.

They had to make a decision whether to pursue emigration or forget it and move on in the UK. They chose the latter as it had cost them a load of money. They came out on holiday again last year and said they regretted not being able to get in and coming back again had only reinforced their thinking. They still loved it.

We have been here 20 years now and love it even more than when we first arrived. I've seen a few negative posts about Perth but for me and the family it's as close to paradise as I could imagine. Don't miss not having a holiday as every weekend feels like one. If I have holidays from work I am very happy to just stay at home and do things around home, the beach and Perth. Not to say there isn't plenty of nice things and places to see not too far away.

There are wineries and beautiful countryside half hours drive away, same down the South West. Beatiful places to see and stay without jumping on a plane. Totally different from Perth and really out in the country.

You might find being removed from your family and the associated stresses, might be a great thing for you. I know it brought my wife and I much closer and I think we have a good relationship with our kids as there was no-one to help out so we had to sort everything out ourselves as a team.

Families can sometimes be a hindrance and a source of conflict, as well as being a help.

Love it.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't suffer depression but I had terrible anxiety issues 7 years ago due to the stress of my family. My childhood was hard and my siblings also suffer because of it. Being the eldest the stress has always been put on me, and being around here is a constant reminder.

I am now 31, I have never run away from it all, but when the family put on me I do get very stressed out which can cause my anxiety to hit slightly, I just try to keep my distance best I can.

I don't think going to Australia will make it all rosey, but I do hope it would make things easier for me and I could enjoy life more than I do here.

I have 3 little rugrats that keep me very busy:wink:

Hiya Jems.

I'm afraid hun that it is a misconception (generally) that a fresh start will negate issues arising from abuse. Initially, just the opposite may be the case as that "fresh start" can trigger varying emotions that one may not be equipped to deal with whilst under stress.

I was lucky in that I was kept too busy with two rug rats once I arrived here to dwell on the past, and much of the anxiety/depression that I suffered in the UK did not trouble me in the early years here.

Later though, when the kids were in schooling, and I had more time to myself, certain situations, triggered the past yet again, and the only thing that helped was counselling and meds (which I now take for life).

I'm not trying to scare you but merely putting you "on guard" for events that may arise and overwhelm you whilst going through the stressful activities related to migration and your subsequent arrival here.

On the upside, I have to say that the treatment that I received, and the impact of better circumstance and surroundings here, resulted in me becoming a much more "stable" and happier person that I had been in the UK.

Good luck

kev

Thank you so much.

It sounds like you are very happy there:biggrin:

My family have caused such terrible problems, and myself and my siblings have had periods of terrible anxiety and my brother suffers depression due to the stress and abuse we suffered as children.

I love my family, I am not close to my father at all but I am to my mum but she still causes me stress at times. My husband says we rarely see them enough to stay for them, I know he is right but i do worry how i would feel being so far from her and only seeing her maybe once a year, if I am lucky. I would miss her alot.

THe things is I get no support with my children so I wouldn't miss that anyway, we have no family that help us, weve always stuck together and managed and we are proud of that:biggrin:

Perth sounds beautiful, I can't imagine needing a holiday either:wink:

Your Mum sounds like my Father in law when we came. He asked why I wanted to go and the first thing that popped into my head was "the weathers a lot better". He wasn't impressed and said he thought I would have a bit moe of a reason than that.

They have visited heaps of times now, as all our relatives have. They all loved it and said it was the best thing we could have done. My Sister and family (2 nieces aand their boyfriends and a nephew) came out on holiday a few years ago and loved it so much they went back and applied for emigration. My brother in law is in the police so we thought they would stand a good chance. The only police force recruiting at the time was South Australia and they wanted about 100 people. There were about 800 applicants and they got through to an interview at the embassy in London where they got told they were in a pool and just missed out on being selected. They never heard anything since. All of them were devastated at the time as they had put their lives on hold for a while and missed out on a house the really wanted.

They had to make a decision whether to pursue emigration or forget it and move on in the UK. They chose the latter as it had cost them a load of money. They came out on holiday again last year and said they regretted not being able to get in and coming back again had only reinforced their thinking. They still loved it.

We have been here 20 years now and love it even more than when we first arrived. I've seen a few negative posts about Perth but for me and the family it's as close to paradise as I could imagine. Don't miss not having a holiday as every weekend feels like one. If I have holidays from work I am very happy to just stay at home and do things around home, the beach and Perth. Not to say there isn't plenty of nice things and places to see not too far away.

There are wineries and beautiful countryside half hours drive away, same down the South West. Beatiful places to see and stay without jumping on a plane. Totally different from Perth and really out in the country.

You might find being removed from your family and the associated stresses, might be a great thing for you. I know it brought my wife and I much closer and I think we have a good relationship with our kids as there was no-one to help out so we had to sort everything out ourselves as a team.

Families can sometimes be a hindrance and a source of conflict, as well as being a help.

Love it.

Guest tartandavid

Been here 5 years. Now citizens. Added another child to the clan. Cam out with no job - have a brilliant house with a pool. Kids have a great life, always busy. Eat lamb regularly. Swim, sail, work to live not live to work. Sunshine. We have no family other than ourselves and don't need them (were useless anyway).

Yes it is not perfect (racism is terrible but then it is the same in UK - oh and I am a caucasian). Yes many Australians lack depth of grey matter but you choose who you hang out with. You beach it, city or rural it.

Love it. Won't be rushing back anytime soon. best decision we ever made.

Archived