Moved to Australia and love it?

Jems30

Hi i hope you don't mind me messaging you, but I noticed you said you had lived in Melbourne for 37 years I was just wondering if you could give me some info about suburbs. We are arriving on 22nd November and now starting to panick a bit about where we are going to live. We quite fance Melton - do you know this area at all. I am also looing at possibly staying in the CBD for a week or two when we first arrive so we can have a good look around ourselves before choosing - do you know of any reasonable serviced apts or hotels?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Nicky:unsure:

Hi,

I don't know Melton very well because I live in the Eastern suburbs. I do know there are a lot of new houses there and it is a developing area. Check out the East as well - it has a different feel and you might like it. Melbourne is huge, it takes literally hours to go from one end to the other( a lot of traffic)- it is very sprawly more like London in that sense but much lower population of course. Prices vary a lot between suburbs too. Look at http://www.realestate.com.au it gives a good cross section,

Cheers.

First arrived in Perth in 1965. Left a few years later to wander the world - and avoid getting sent to Vietnam - and was told by my wife that it was gtime to settle down - so we came back to Perth. Best decision that ever was made for me. I usually visited the UK once in 10 years - and then only with great reluctance, wedding or funeral - such like. Australia is our home. you have read a lot from the negative posts. Such posts reverberate with negativity, and if you are in a negative mood (say, you are worried about a huge move, concerned about money, schools, your future) then you will resonate with those negative posts. Don't take them to heart - understand what the underlying issues are, and learn from their issues or mistakes. And above all, do what YOU want.

Guest Scotinaus

I have been here 7 years, love it and don't want to go back. We are actually a bit concerned as we might have to shortly for OH's job but luckily this has not eventuated yet... There are lots of us!

We have only been here for two and a half years, but I know that I am home. I feel like I was always meant to be here. In fact my grandparents were to have been 'Ten Pound Poms' but stayed in the UK because gran found out she was pregnant with dad just before they came. So in a way I was supposed to be here, but circumstances dictated otherwise.

Love Australia, love my friends, children and hubby happy, couldn't be better!

Guest Clare
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't suffer depression but I had terrible anxiety issues 7 years ago due to the stress of my family. My childhood was hard and my siblings also suffer because of it. Being the eldest the stress has always been put on me, and being around here is a constant reminder.

I am now 31, I have never run away from it all, but when the family put on me I do get very stressed out which can cause my anxiety to hit slightly, I just try to keep my distance best I can.

I don't think going to Australia will make it all rosey, but I do hope it would make things easier for me and I could enjoy life more than I do here.

I have 3 little rugrats that keep me very busy:wink:

Hey

You remind me a bit of myself! Very insecure childhood, which made me suffer with seperation anxiety as a child and after my dad died in 2005 terrible anxiety as an adult.

I improve every year that goes by I think that it helps when the children are less dependent on you.

If you told me I'd be applying for visas to go to Oz even 6 years ago I would have laughed, but here I am hoping to be in Perth by Christmas!

Go for it you can always come back, I bet you don't...

Clare

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Nine in 10 expats think they made the right choice in moving from the UK, which may be in part because of the austerity measures - backed this week by the International Monetary Fund - which are causing financial pain to many in Britain.

The mood around the world is mixed, and the perception of future economic growth varies dramatically. For example, expats in China, Australia and the UAE are very confident about their financial future, according to the NatWest International Personal Banking fourth annual Quality of Life Index, with 96 per cent of expats in China expecting strong economic growth.

In contrast, those in European countries fear a much slower economic recovery. Europe is still subject to far greater economic concerns than countries elsewhere, with the bail-outs of Greece, Ireland and Portugal all combining to cause concern. Spain has not asked for help to shore up its economy, but there are still fears that this could happen.

Dave Isley, head of NatWest International Personal Banking, said: “It is encouraging to see that expats express self-assurance about their ability to triumph over the recessionary pressures which are causing uncertainty and cutbacks in many multi-national businesses. There is a marked difference in optimism between those expats based in Europe and those based elsewhere.

“However, it is encouraging to see that despite these variations, the majority of expats present a reasonably confident view of their situation and future prospects.”

Related Articles

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dannywh
LOL, There are plenty of us 'poms' out here. We have been here almost 5 years and are still enjoying life, migrating can be hard especially those first few months but if you can clear the hurdles you can sure have a good life out here.

Cal x

Just seen your post. I'm also from bury ( radcliffe) and am hoping to move to brisbane within the next 12 months. Is it as fab as it looks?:biggrin:

Guest guest30038
Just seen your post. I'm also from bury ( radcliffe) and am hoping to move to brisbane within the next 12 months. Is it as fab as it looks?:biggrin:

No! It's crap..................enough whingeing poms here as it is :wink:

Archived