An idiots guide to ~ Dentists

cartertucker

We have registered with our local dentist and he sends you reminders to go every 6 months. He is the best dentist I've ever been to, had some horrible experiences as a kid which put me off for years.

This guy has done some major work but patched things up where possible to save me money. He knew I needed crowns about 7 years ago and spent an hour or so rebuilding and pinning teeth to see if they would last a bit longer. He said they may ache the next day but they were fine and lasted till last year.

I had crowns fitted on two back teeth last year. It was quite a big operation. Had to go in to be measured up and casts taken and temporary crowns fitted. Went back to have the proper ones done and they fit perfectly. Not had any problems and they look great.

Not cheap though, can't remember the cost but maybe $1,500. You only have one set of teeth though and if they are going to last a few years well worth it.

It's pay as you go and you can get insurance to cover some costs. Save all your medical bills over the year for the whole family and you get some back off your tax over a certain spend.

Both my kids had to have braces (as most kids seem to here). Now your talking about cost, was like getting another mortgage and you pay for them over a few years.

For this you have to go to an orthodontist, not your regular dentist. (Ours is Mr Chin lol).

Thing he drives a Rolls Royce and his 2nd car is a ferrari.

How do dentists work in Australia? :confused:

Do you 'pay as you go'?

What would 'typical costs be'? :unsure:

only dealings we have had with a dentist ...was an emergengy extraction for mr k whilst on hoilday in sydney .....$350 ...ouch :arghh:

mrs keily

I believe the Australian Dental Association publishes suggested charging levels for various procedures (all of which are identified by a code) for its members. However, dentists are free to charge what they want. (Not sure - needs to be verified).

You typically pay when you've been treated. If the treatment is a crown, then you may be asked to pay a bit upfront.

If you have Extras cover on your private health insurance (we've opted for the second most expensive Extras cover), you will get some of the amount you spend back. As an example, our health insurance will cover about $500 for a crown fit but the cost is typically in the $1200-$1500 range at our dentist.

Sorry calNgary, have now got you in my mind as being very informative on all things medical, thanks very much for all your information (and to the others on here who are so helpful), and I'll apologise in advance for pestering you in future re medical matters

Cal

As the others have said you pay as you go. A couple of weeks ago I had a filling replaced - all the latest high tech stuff, plus a gingevectomy (at least that was what the hygienist called it) and then had them cleaned and the total was around $1300 - got about $300 back from the insurance. This is far and away the most expensive dentist I have been to but he is also far and away the best and is focussed on preventive dentistry and ensuring that you have your teeth as long as possible. I have 4 more visits to him and am expecting around the $1k mark each time - just for replacing a few fillings etc

Kelly you jinxed me with this thread !!!!!!! lol

I got a call earlier from my friend to say my 7 yr old daughter who slept there last night has smashed her front tooth and knocked 3/4 of the tooth out. As they were her adult teeth and she is sooo young ,she freaked, bless her,, luckily we got into a dentist staright away ,he has rebuilt the tooth ,done x-rays etc and i walked away $262 lighter!!! the price does include a check up in 3 month to make sure it is holding ok and the nerve is ok so not too bad price wise i dont think.

Cal x

Kelly you jinxed me with this thread !!!!!!! lol

I got a call earlier from my friend to say my 7 yr old daughter who slept there last night has smashed her front tooth and knocked 3/4 of the tooth out. As they were her adult teeth and she is sooo young ,she freaked, bless her,, luckily we got into a dentist staright away ,he has rebuilt the tooth ,done x-rays etc and i walked away $262 lighter!!! the price does include a check up in 3 month to make sure it is holding ok and the nerve is ok so not too bad price wise i dont think.

Cal x

Oh No! :shocked:

Your poor little Girl ~ Hope she is Ok :hug:

• 2 months later...

If you are having wisdom teeth out, check around, as one dentist quoted me $4000 for 4 and I ended up getting it from a fantastic dental surgeon for $2500, so there is a big difference here (in Melbourne) and may well be that way everywhere. We do have dental hospitals in most capitals if you have a health care card, but depends how long you have to wait. We are dreaming of a national dental scheme like Medicare, but they have been talking about it for years and haven't done it yet.

Definitely have done as much on the NHS as you can before you go!

This doesnt always save money! I took my daughter for her 6monthly checkups before leaving the UK, never missed one, told them we were moving and asked the nice dentist what was needing done. At the last few appts, they said her teeth were in good shape, a little filling needed here and there, nothing major so got it all done.

Came out here, went to the dentist with the school, they did full xrays and discovered a lot of work needing done! The NHS dentists tend not to xray so can miss stuff. We luckily got all her work done free at the school dentist but she had to have teeth out and fillings which would've cost a fortune.

Now I am looking at $8k for braces but got a few years to save!!

This doesnt always save money! I took my daughter for her 6monthly checkups before leaving the UK, never missed one, told them we were moving and asked the nice dentist what was needing done. At the last few appts, they said her teeth were in good shape, a little filling needed here and there, nothing major so got it all done.

Came out here, went to the dentist with the school, they did full xrays and discovered a lot of work needing done! The NHS dentists tend not to xray so can miss stuff. We luckily got all her work done free at the school dentist but she had to have teeth out and fillings which would've cost a fortune.

Now I am looking at $8k for braces but got a few years to save!!

So do the kids get free dental work in Australia? :unsure:

I have a question about additional insurance.

Where I come from (Canada) your employer usually offers you as a benefit package additional insurance, which covers about all dental costs or with little portion that you pay. The rest is paid by the insurance. So, I never have to pay for dentist. Luckily no major dentist work necessary so far. Just some fillings, cleaning, root canals etc.

Is there such thing in Australia? Do your employers offer such benefits?

Thanks.

So do the kids get free dental work in Australia? :unsure:

All depends on the state and the nature of the work. Many states have cut back on child and adolescent dentistry beyond a free checkup every now and again. Unless a kid has, for example, a cranio facial disorder eg cleft palate then orthodontics are going to be user pays (through the nose usually!)

Where I come from (Canada) your employer usually offers you as a benefit package additional insurance, which covers about all dental costs or with little portion that you pay. The rest is paid by the insurance. So, I never have to pay for dentist. Luckily no major dentist work necessary so far. Just some fillings, cleaning, root canals etc.

Thanks.

Nope, health insurance is generally a personal responsibility and even if you get private health, the amount your insurance company will fork out will be significantly less than the cost to you as a general rule.

Thanks.

My son works for BHP and they pay for his private cover. He still has out of pocket expenses like everyone else though.

Does anyonen know if I can pop into a surgery and book an apointment to just get a very small quick proceedure done?

I have a crown that's prone to food debris getting stuck just under the gumline causing a bit of swelling and soreness... and needs a high pressure water jet to get it out. It only happens occasionally but it has happened now and I don't have a dentist yet. Nor do I want to go through the whole poceedure and cost of and a first apointment, full exam, x-rays etc.... I'm moving 250km in 3 weeks!

So do you think a dentist would do just that little thing without making me register and have the full exam?? It isn't much t ask, is it??!

Archived