New Points Test - Details Released 11 November

George Lombard

What stops you applying for a visa now?

Best regards.

Nothing, Just waiting for WA SMP.

I am stuck with 115 points ( I have crossed 35 age limit) and unable to go for 175.

Best option is 176/SMP.

With all current delays if application process go pass 1st July 2011, who knows we will be treated with new points system.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you understand my last post on this thread?

Best regards.

Hi Alan, I understand,

But what is very interesting, ACS regnised the industrial placement year as equal to that of the pro year. Because its part of the degree program, and you cannot get your degree without this.

So in these cases it could very well be equal in diac eyes:biglaugh:

Guest bluefizz15

Hi...

I'm an international student.. who studied in australia for 3 years. I completed bachelors of arts (media and communications) which is not on the SOL. Can I still apply for PR with the new point system.. as if i get 8 on IELTS (which shouldnt be a problem for me as i speak fluent english) i make up 65 points:

IELTS: 20

bachelors:15

study in australia: 5

More information from Peter Speldewinde - in fact the same discussion i've summarised earlier but more copious notes:

DIAC – Peter Speldewinde

Thank you Dita/Julianne. Being a Canberra person it is special to be able to talk to people who have an interest in the ACT and I am able to have a favourable look at what Canberra needs.

A range of things have been happening in Skilled Migration. There are an outstanding number of students overseas who are waiting for entry. There is a big difference in people coming into Australia for 12 months or more than those that are leaving the country. Students have been around 300,000 – should be at the range of around 150,000 to 180,000 maximum. In the last 18 months the amount of 300,000 has reduced. Both sides of government are looking at Migration issues. The Labour Government discussions are around sustainable over big migration/big Australia.

Big Issue – What drives migration? Growth in student numbers, thing have changed in the last 18 months with the increasing dollar, violence towards students, financial world changes. Integrity changes with schools/colleges all equals a drop off in student numbers. 2009/2010 was the 3rd biggest year.

Net overseas migration currently going down. Where will it bottom out? How to predict?. Several government agencies working together to plot a plan of action. Huge amount of reform both in permanent and temporary migration.

What do we want? – to be responsive, the past has proven to be a problem. Growing numbers of people on bridging visas and more in the pipeline.

Need to be targeted – Labour should be demand driven, not supply driven. We need to focus on people with skills that were in need, not necessarily those already in the queue. This means that some people have been pushed down the ladder and will get processed, but it will just take longer. The system needs to complement industry training – skills needed.

457 is meant to be the flagship to respond to changes in demand with skills shortages across Australia. Drop in 2009 equals drop in demand for jobs softening labour market. Now 457 rate is picking up and unemployment is coming down. Level of permanent is dropping away and the 457 is being used more often. The 457 category is meant to respond immediately to industry demand.

Permanent Visa category – not designed to respond to urgent shortages – more long term. The 2009/10 Skilled Stream target was 108,100 and the outcome was 107,868.

Plan Projections – more employer sponsored, less independent. Meetings are scheduled with Minister regarding what should be in next year’s program. Shift from Independent to sponsored migration 5 years is dropping off – deliberately engineered by government. Employer sponsored plan is hoped to be 39% - State sponsorship will be determined over the next few months. DIAC behind on state sponsored 20%. Family sponsored has dropped dramatically. Business skills has remained the same.

The aim to target priority processing came in January 2009 to try to get different dynamics – this takes a long time to change. 2nd priority is State Sponsored. 3rd is General Skilled on new SOL priority 3. 4th is everyone else not already given priority.

We are focussing on highly skilled and highly valued. Government announced new skill occupation list from skills Australia – we did the research. Workforce needs workforce planning. Long lead times for some jobs. Medium to long term need for some occupations. High value occupations people would stay in that occupation.

Review to be started on the occupation list – January 2011 should have recommendations.

Question: Will the government revise the list in a year’s time?

Answer: Don’t know, is the simple answer. Skills Australia will make recommendations, government will decide them.

The points test has been reviewed. Lots of consultation with varying government departments. Points test announced last Thursday. The pass mark is 65 – 1 July next year will be the formal advise date. Recommendation for government to remove the pool mark. Concept of the pool was a good idea 12-13 years. New changes have been made and pool marks do not seem relevant/viable. Ministers to decide this now. GSM Pipeline 134,000 – pool marks just not needed now. Pool mark and pass mark are the same.

Sponsorship is a must now (open discussion on breakdown on points requirements). Age has been revised – age has experience and more likely to stay in their occupation if they are older and been working in that occupation for several years. Upper age limit has been extended up to 50.

English – IELTS 6 in all 4 categories. 20 points given to IELTS 8 or over.

We are trying to achieve an optimal balance – looking long term – where they think the economy is going. Trying to make sure the program is driven by genuine economic need.

Business Skills Program. Discussion paper coming out in the next few weeks. Hasn’t been reviewed since 1999. Government has requested fundamental look - 8000 places - are they really being used – if not, the 8000 places could be used elsewhere.

Employer Nomination Scheme. State working party to re-examine current. Paper to go out for that.

Regional Definition. Inter department committee meeting. A presentation was given with 25 views being expressed. They have planned another meeting to refine views and get consensus across government. They are determined to get a single definition.

Skilled Migration Model

- Flexible

- Accurate targeting

- Greater ability to control nominations

- adapting to changing economic conditions

- delivery of new model 2012.

Aim

- Absolute consistency

- target program delivery

- processing – much better match between program places and applications.

Cheers,

George Lombard

• 2 weeks later...

Might have been covered but not sure.

Here goes. To whom does the new points apply to. I currently have a 176 lodged [Qld cat 4]. And may have to apply for another State to secure at Cat 2 allocation and proceed. I understand therefor that this new SS (if) will be attached to the already lodged 176 visa.

Is this correct. OR, am i likely to fall foul of the new point system.

Thanks!!! Danny.

Danny, the proposed new points system does not apply to you since you have already filed your visa application.

nothing is impossible in immigration rules .they have mold it whenever they find time to be more fruitful in money making.oz ministers have changed oz immi dept to a political ring from where they wan't miss any knock out to be remain in power.in past they have capped and ceased innocent 2007 applicants with a disputed legislative instrument 39 and even made refunds to desired to create a estoppal to defend their unlawful act.but some of them (me too) are still fighting for their dignity.desperatly looking for an angel or holy soul for help.

Guest burgledad
nothing is impossible in immigration rules .they have mold it whenever they find time to be more fruitful in money making.oz ministers have changed oz immi dept to a political ring from where they wan't miss any knock out to be remain in power.in past they have capped and ceased innocent 2007 applicants with a disputed legislative instrument 39 and even made refunds to desired to create a estoppal to defend their unlawful act.but some of them (me too) are still fighting for their dignity.desperatly looking for an angel or holy soul for help.

Look, don't give up. We got crapped on by the red necks that run Aus a couple of years ago for other reasons (child has learning difficulties). The more people from the developed English-speaking world that migrate down under, the quieter these primates' voices will become. We're trying again.

John

Guest nanna g

Hi just completing the 175 online application form/ Dont know if you can help but my son and his partner are on a 457 at the moment, on the application it asks if you already hold a visa if so add the visa number. Dont seem to have the right number that they want all we had from the migration agent is a notification saying the visa has been granted it stated a unique visa number but when i input that into the form it says wrong format? i cant see anywhere on the notification a number that starts with a v or ends in a letter. should we have received some sort of certificate or something with this number on? also it asks for identity card number from the government i am assuming they mean the british national insurance number. any advice greatly accepted. thanks

Correct me if I am wrong. The new points test will be easy for international students unless they score 8 for the IELTS English test. This is my current situation as an international student, so I'll only use certain factors.

Old System - pass mark at 120 points

Age - 22 years of Age ---------------------------------- 30 points

English Language - Score of 7 ------------------------- 25 points

Nominated Skilled Occupation - 50 points ------------ 50 points

Australian Qualification - Undergraduate degree ---- 15 points

That's how I will need in order to get through that. But as for the new system, this is how it goes.

New System - pass mark at 65 points

Age - 22 years of Age ---------------------------------- 25 points

English Language - Score of 8 ------------------------- 20 points

Recognition of Australian Studies - 2 years ----------- 5 points

Which of these do you reckon is much more easy to obtain PR (general skilled migration)?

Guest Bob2008
Where is it carved in stone that the new pass mark will be 65 points?

Hello wrussell,

Well, it's not in stone yet. Only in DIAC info:

The pass mark is the number of points required to be eligible for skilled migration. The pass mark is a tool that allows for management of the skilled migration program and is always subject to change.
It is expected that the pass mark will be set at 65 points.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-fact.pdf

From practice, it is not likely that it will change upwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I have ended up getting myself all confused on this new points test and it seems some of the criteria is not very clear. Under the 'Overseas work experience, does this mean your work experience at your home address or overseas as in another country that's not your home??? Please help me on this one...

Many Thanks

Can anyone tell me on this po

Guest burgledad
Hi Everyone,

I have ended up getting myself all confused on this new points test and it seems some of the criteria is not very clear. Under the 'Overseas work experience, does this mean your work experience at your home address or overseas as in another country that's not your home??? Please help me on this one...

Many Thanks

Overseas as far as DIAC is concerned means working outside Australia.

I'm attaching the Minister's press release and the points test to apply from July next year. By removing points for occupations and ascribing points for qualifications the points test will give relative advantages for degree based qualifications as against trades. Ironically these changes will also, by adopting a credentialist approach, spell the end of RPL based applications for a variety of occupations.

Also the introduction of additional points for a higher level of English might discriminate against many applicants.

More analysis to come.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Dear George Lombard,

My husband is just embarking on an ACS RPL for Business Analyst and I'm rather concerned about the brief comment you make here about the end of RPL based applications.

Be delighted to hear more... Is this just speculation or should we really not be going down the RPL route? It's a long long road and we don't want it be have been a complete waste of time and money.

Jo

Guest sivakumar
Just had a quick look ...

18-24 25 points

Australian Bachelor 15 points

IELTS 7 10 points

Australian Study 5 points

That falls short by ten points for a 65 pass-mark.

Remind me again why anyone will come to Australia to study

good, can you tell me we can assessment on our skill without exp mate?

Guest sivakumar
Correct me if I am wrong. The new points test will be easy for international students unless they score 8 for the IELTS English test. This is my current situation as an international student, so I'll only use certain factors.

Old System - pass mark at 120 points

Age - 22 years of Age ---------------------------------- 30 points

English Language - Score of 7 ------------------------- 25 points

Nominated Skilled Occupation - 50 points ------------ 50 points

That's how I will need in order to get through that. But as for the new system, this is how it goes.

New System - pass mark at 65 points

Age - 22 years of Age ---------------------------------- 25 points

English Language - Score of 8 ------------------------- 20 points

Recognition of Australian Studies - 2 years ----------- 5 points

Which of these do you reckon is much more easy to obtain PR (general skilled migration)?

it never support to the students, is it possible to have an assessment without exp?

Guest sivakumar
Hi Everyone,

Many Thanks

it means outside of Australia

Does anyone know with the new points system what the difference is between the SS points ie it says sponsorship by state or territory gov. you get 5 points for this! Then underneath it says sponsorship by family or state or territory gov. to regional areas, you get 10 points for this pne! We have 2 sisters out there but we are hopefully going in on a 176 to WA (HOPING!!!) Can we get the 10 points or will it be only 5? Also where you get points in ielts is this the overall score or is the mark in each section?!!

Hello all, I'm new on here and just starting out looking at my options for moving to Australia. I have a qestion regarding the new points system:

I have a 4 year diploma in International Hotel Management and business studies. Will this get me any points or does it have to be a degree?

Thanks

Guest sivakumar
Does anyone know with the new points system what the difference is between the SS points ie it says sponsorship by state or territory gov. you get 5 points for this! Then underneath it says sponsorship by family or state or territory gov. to regional areas, you get 10 points for this pne! We have 2 sisters out there but we are hopefully going in on a 176 to WA (HOPING!!!) Can we get the 10 points or will it be only 5? Also where you get points in ielts is this the overall score or is the mark in each section?!!

Can I claim 35 point as I have scored 7 in IELTS ( 6 - 15points + 7 - 20points = 35points?)?

Archived