New Points Test - Details Released 11 November

George Lombard

Does anyone know with the new points system what the difference is between the SS points ie it says sponsorship by state or territory gov. you get 5 points for this! Then underneath it says sponsorship by family or state or territory gov. to regional areas, you get 10 points for this pne! We have 2 sisters out there but we are hopefully going in on a 176 to WA (HOPING!!!) Can we get the 10 points or will it be only 5? Also where you get points in ielts is this the overall score or is the mark in each section?!!

At a guess, I'd say that you get 5 points if you want to live anywhere in the nominated state, and 10 points if you intend to live in an area designated as regional.

However I should point out that Adelaide is considered Regional Australia, or was a few years back.

Can I claim 35 point as I have scored 7 in IELTS ( 6 - 15points + 7 - 20points = 35points?)?

No, you'll get 20 points. Otherwise someone with IELTS 8 would pretty much hit the pass mark without any other criteria. :biggrin:

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sydneybound

I am in a quandry at the minute and trying to decide what to do for the best - perhaps some of you could help?

In a perfect world, my partner and I would be emigrating to Sydney - but under the current points system, we can only apply for a visa with State Sponsorship (his occupation of Architectural Draftsperson is on SOL Schedule 4).

Having looked at SMP's and what states are applicable for us to apply to - we have decided to apply for State Sponsorship to South Australia then subsequently a 176 visa application to DIAC.

Under the current points system he qualifies for 105 points. Under the proposed new points system he qualifies for 75 points ( Age 25, English 20, Overseas work experience 15, Qualifications 15).

We have all the required documentation for SA State Sponsorship ready to send off (i.e Skills assessment, IELTS e.t.c)

THE BIG QUESTION...

Do you think the jobs listed on the various schedules are likely to change with the introduction of the new points system. Currently we can only proceed with a visa based on getting state sponsorship under SOL Schedule 4. However with the new system, we would have enough points to proceed without state sponsorship, although my partners job is not on Schedule 3.

So do we crack on with the SA state sponsorship and forget any dreams of moving to Sydney, or can anyone see a way in which we can make an application under the new points system, that I have missed?

Guest Jamie Smith
I am in a quandry at the minute and trying to decide what to do for the best - perhaps some of you could help?

In a perfect world, my partner and I would be emigrating to Sydney - but under the current points system, we can only apply for a visa with State Sponsorship (his occupation of Architectural Draftsperson is on SOL Schedule 4).

Having looked at SMP's and what states are applicable for us to apply to - we have decided to apply for State Sponsorship to South Australia then subsequently a 176 visa application to DIAC.

Under the current points system he qualifies for 105 points. Under the proposed new points system he qualifies for 75 points ( Age 25, English 20, Overseas work experience 15, Qualifications 15).

We have all the required documentation for SA State Sponsorship ready to send off (i.e Skills assessment, IELTS e.t.c)

THE BIG QUESTION...

Do you think the jobs listed on the various schedules are likely to change with the introduction of the new points system. Currently we can only proceed with a visa based on getting state sponsorship under SOL Schedule 4. However with the new system, we would have enough points to proceed without state sponsorship, although my partners job is not on Schedule 3.

So do we crack on with the SA state sponsorship and forget any dreams of moving to Sydney, or can anyone see a way in which we can make an application under the new points system, that I have missed?

Don't forget to consider the ENS and 457 visas too...

THE BIG QUESTION...

You should go ahead and apply for SA SS now since they your partner's skill on it. Nobody knows what the new points test will be come July 1 nor what skills will be on the SOL etc....The new points test is just a proposed one and has not been passed yet. So, you should deal with what is definite now-if you and he have the ability to apply a PR 176 visa now then you'd frankly be mad to not apply for it. You can figure out where you want to live once you get a PR visa.

Hi everyone!

I have a doubt about the new list of points, under "Qualifications" - Offshore Recognised apprenticeship ... In this case, if I have a technical course in IT with 10 years of experience, and it is recognized by the ACS as "Computer network and systems engineer, I can have those 10 points?

Somebody can tell me?

Hi all,

I did originally post this on a seperate thread but haven't received a response yet and as its regarding the new points system here goes...

My partner & I are looking to go to oz on a 176 under his trade as a welder. We are worried about the new points system proposal for July this year, as it seems to go against trades!! I know it's not set in concrete but there's no smoke without fire as they say...:wacko:

My partner's forms got submitted to vetassess last week for the skills assessment part one. The agency said we will know the results within 5 weeks, if it takes 5 weeks that will take us up to the end of February. He will then have to undertake the practical assessment. As welder is a new occupation for vetassess, they do not have any scheduled practical assessments. They will arrange a technical interview which may be conducted via web conferencing. I am unsure how long it will take for the technical interview to be undertaken once the first part is complete, we are waiting for a response from them to an e-mail we have sent to ask this.

Then once this has been done we need to get ss from a state, which our agent says takes 2-3 months to be granted....adding that in you can see this July deadline is looking all too soon. :sad:

Do you think we will have time..? Are there any states that tend to grant ss quicker then others? I believe so far states offering ss for welders are WA, SA, NT, ACT, Tas. We been thinking more towards WA or SA, but are open. I'm a little annoyed our agent didn't warn us about this proposed new points test, as I see from this thread it been going on Since Oct/Nov, and we weren't rushing any forms we had then as we thought with the changes in July 10 there was no hurry. So we took our time in filling them out, but we could have been at least 2 months ahead of where we are now if we knew this was a possibility this July :cry:

:angel_happy_face_haAny advice, infor, knowledge or just plain hugs are all welcome :hug:

Thanks for taking the time to read this, Lucy :notworthy:

Guest sivakumar
Thanks, but neither of those have anything to do with teaching. Teaching is assessed by the AITSL. I was just curious to what the abbreviation TRA stood for, as everyone in this thread seemed to be applying for it.

Assessment for migration

If your occupation is assessed by AITSL, then you should approach AITSL.

Hi all,

I did originally post this on a seperate thread but haven't received a response yet and as its regarding the new points system here goes...

My partner & I are looking to go to oz on a 176 under his trade as a welder. We are worried about the new points system proposal for July this year, as it seems to go against trades!! I know it's not set in concrete but there's no smoke without fire as they say...:wacko:

My partner's forms got submitted to vetassess last week for the skills assessment part one. The agency said we will know the results within 5 weeks, if it takes 5 weeks that will take us up to the end of February. He will then have to undertake the practical assessment. As welder is a new occupation for vetassess, they do not have any scheduled practical assessments. They will arrange a technical interview which may be conducted via web conferencing. I am unsure how long it will take for the technical interview to be undertaken once the first part is complete, we are waiting for a response from them to an e-mail we have sent to ask this.

Then once this has been done we need to get ss from a state, which our agent says takes 2-3 months to be granted....adding that in you can see this July deadline is looking all too soon. :sad:

Do you think we will have time..? Are there any states that tend to grant ss quicker then others? I believe so far states offering ss for welders are WA, SA, NT, ACT, Tas. We been thinking more towards WA or SA, but are open. I'm a little annoyed our agent didn't warn us about this proposed new points test, as I see from this thread it been going on Since Oct/Nov, and we weren't rushing any forms we had then as we thought with the changes in July 10 there was no hurry. So we took our time in filling them out, but we could have been at least 2 months ahead of where we are now if we knew this was a possibility this July :cry:

:angel_happy_face_haAny advice, infor, knowledge or just plain hugs are all welcome :hug:

Thanks for taking the time to read this, Lucy :notworthy:

Hi Lucy,

We also have to have applied to the DIAC before the 1st July as the new points system does not favour us either, although we are not in the same situation as you as we completed the occupation assessment side of things before all the changes started to occur. I'm suprised that your agents were not in more of a rush to get you sorted but that may be because the practical side of things of the assessment have not been finalised. As for SS processing times I don't know if any are faster than others. The states that have had the SMPs open for longer may be quicker, you could try looking at the PIO threads talking about various SS processing times. The trouble is it that everyone (inc agents) are probably a little in the dark with all the changes going on so I guess it's hard to predict how long things will take. Our agent told us it might take six months for us to get our SS (I'm hoping she was just trying to prepare us for the worst!). I wish I could help you more so here's hug :hug:as I can imagine what you are going through. Hope it all works out for the best.

Hi Lucy,

We also have to have applied to the DIAC before the 1st July as the new points system does not favour us either, although we are not in the same situation as you as we completed the occupation assessment side of things before all the changes started to occur. I'm suprised that your agents were not in more of a rush to get you sorted but that may be because the practical side of things of the assessment have not been finalised. As for SS processing times I don't know if any are faster than others. The states that have had the SMPs open for longer may be quicker, you could try looking at the PIO threads talking about various SS processing times. The trouble is it that everyone (inc agents) are probably a little in the dark with all the changes going on so I guess it's hard to predict how long things will take. Our agent told us it might take six months for us to get our SS (I'm hoping she was just trying to prepare us for the worst!). I wish I could help you more so here's hug :hug:as I can imagine what you are going through. Hope it all works out for the best.

Hey there,

I would think you will be aright as I have seen others on here who applied for ss WA on 20th December and they have had their ss granted, so yours shouldn't be too far behind. Hopefully with the current quick turnarounds with ss it will be ok for us too. Not sure why our agent didn't tell us about the proposed new points system, maybe as nothing is law yet but we would of got the skills forms in alot quicker if we had known...oh well nothing we can do now but act quickly on all future things and hope!! thanks & good luck. let me know how u get on :hug:

Hi Do you know if with the new points test if you have the 65 points without any points taken from the work experience section i.e 30 for age, 20 from ILETS, 15 for UK Law Degree. Would this suffice? My sister in law as 2 our of the last 5 years experience but that is not enough to gain points in the work experience section.

Any help would be great

Jodie

It's pretty clear that this points test is squarely aimed at international students. A graduate with good English and aged 25-32 can sail through but cut back on the English skills and you need work experience. It's an undemanding pass mark for those from English speaking countries

I don't know about that. I'm from the UK and because of my age (42) I came in on a student visa and studied cookery. Now I'm screwed more or less.

My English is excellent but my age is a real drawback, and I would have been unable to meet the work experience demand without breaking my student visa conditions. I see it often repeated that they wish to lessen the drawback of age and give more credence to older workers, but because I had to change my career to come here, any work experience I had back in Blighty counts for naught.

Although Australia clearly needed to sort out the shonky college phenomenon and do something about the rort mentality which was a feature of a large demographic of the international student population (and it was, no point in denying it; I had to take my work to the loo with me if the lecturer wasn't in the room to prevent other students photographing and plagiarising it), this scattergun approach has caught people with the language standards and the genuine intention to go into an industry suffering skills shortages.

I was happy to do my time in the industry, but at some point it becomes unreasonable to expect people who have already spent the money and done the graft to continue to be temporary residents. Tax for no return, no ability to study further at domestic rates, limited if any access to the medical system and general vulnerability to being deported if you're caught riding a bike path without your helmet or picking your nose!

Hi guys,

This might sound like a silly question the 65 points dont seem hard to get but is it only applicable for applicants on schedule 3 of the SOL or schedule 4?? Im guessing its only for schedule 3.but if its schedule 4 that would make life better!

Indeed very true. No mention of possible timelines for processing under the new points system and also, while it says the occupation has to be under SOL it doesnt say which SOL 3 or 4? While some may be feeling happy about scoring more than 65 in the new system, if DIAC comes back and says only SOL3 and above - then all the effort in vain.

Has anyone got a clue about which SOL are these guys talking about under the new system?

Quick Question!

In the old points test, there was a basic eligibility requirement. You basically had to have 12 months work experience in the past 24 months. This requirement was basic and had to be fulfilled, although there were no points awarded for it.

----------------------

Now my question is is there a "Basic Eligibility" requirement for specific work experience in the new points test?

I see that there are different points awarded for work experience completed overseas and in Australia. But do i have to have work experience?

I am asking this question because i am finishing my 4th year in Canada. I am studying Accounting and would like to do my Chartered Accountancy. I have no work experience what so ever.

Is there any possibility that i can apply under 175 as a skilled Independent without "No Work Experience"?

Thank you very much in advance.

Guest alicat1969

Oh I am VERY confused now. Due to my age (41), and not having a degree (I am a nurse who trained the traditional way) I do not appear to qualify under the new points system for a 175 or 176. It doesn't help that I'm single too, so I appear to be being penalised for being an old maid!!!. Now, is this right - I'm definitely a "superior" English speaker, but I'm still falling 10 points short - I can't apply before July as it is a funding issue.....HELP!

yeah alicat. im single so any points for partner skills is down the toilet. i dont understand that really; you effectively are penalised for being single, as you say.

i cant believe that people who have paid for and applied for their 485 visas to complete the job ready programme, and done the provisional tests and are now waiting for the assessment body to process them (delays all due to the assessment body, they have all the documentation they need) ALL ON THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE NEW SYSTEMS OF LAST YEAR are now being disqualified on the new points system, after being further financially extorted by DIAC.

many would say there was no extortion, no promise; but if a department cant keep a set of rules long enough for applicants to just complete a process on their pathway which costs upwards of 2.5k as required by the new rules, what would you call it? a reasonable and just process?

dont think so.

Guest Guest 47403
ps alicat

might be worth your while to borrow money to complete the process before july.

after all it costs heaps more in time effort and money to lose out and the money can be repaid somehow!

I agree don't lose the opportunity, find some money somehow!

Guest auzzycrazzy

Hi guys!!!

I have a question about the new points system and eligibility of applying after the new points system

My occupation is not on the SOL 3 but it's on Victoria SMP and I will have enough points(more than 65)

when the new points system comes in to effect will I be able to appy?

it says that if you get state sponsorship you'll be eligible for additional 5 points

Please share your ideas guys

thanks in advance

Archived