New Points Test - Details Released 11 November

George Lombard

Guest Lankan1
Indeed very true. No mention of possible timelines for processing under the new points system and also, while it says the occupation has to be under SOL it doesnt say which SOL 3 or 4? While some may be feeling happy about scoring more than 65 in the new system, if DIAC comes back and says only SOL3 and above - then all the effort in vain.

Has anyone got a clue about which SOL are these guys talking about under the new system?

Very true!!!

Also I'm afraid that early 2010 point test discussion papers was dreaming to give education points only to Graduates from world's most prestigious universities!!!

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI all,

Am I calulating the new points correctly because if so my dream may be over..

age 40-44= 15

IELTS 7 = 10 (best not to aim too high for fear of disapointment)

overseas work exp 3yrs= 10

english BA hons degree= 15

total 50.

:arghh:

even with SS this leaves me with only 55 points.

Can anyone tell me how hard (or easy) it is to get IELTS 8

Guest Bob2008
HI all,

Am I calulating the new points correctly because if so my dream may be over..

age 40-44= 15

IELTS 7 = 10 (best not to aim too high for fear of disapointment)

overseas work exp 3yrs= 10

english BA hons degree= 15

total 50.

:arghh:

even with SS this leaves me with only 55 points.

Can anyone tell me how hard (or easy) it is to get IELTS 8

It's possible, that's for sure.

*Study/practice all 4 areas L/R/W/S

*Practice IELTS exam skills (has not much to do with English)

Takes some time, but generally possible.

Guest Pixie10

Hi Bob2008 and everyone,

I'm due to take IELTS soon and need to get at least 8 across the board- do you have any advice or revision books? There seems to be loads- dont know which ones to get? Might get the official Cambrigde study guides??

Thanks

Hello everyone,

My most realistic scenario to reach the passing mark would be:

30 Age 25-32

10 IELTS 7

10 Work experience abroad 5 years

15 Degree

--

The last time I sat for IELTS a few years ago, I obtained 9-9-8-7. I wouldn't want to stress out on getting 8 for speaking, so realistically I should be able to maintain my IELTS 7.

I still have two concerns however:

1) Does the work experience have to come from a single SOL, or can it also be a sum of two SOLs? I have 3 years experience as a telecommunication engineer (2004-2007), and 3 years as a management accountant (2008-present). If I get only IELTS 7, I would need to maximize my points on work experience.

2) Does my degree have to match my nominated SOL? I have a British engineering degree (2003) and a French MBA (2008). I'm relying on my engineering degree for skills assessment (which should not be a problem), since the MBA does not fulfill the criteria of CPA. It would be easier for me to obtain detailed work references for my current job as a management accountant, rather than as an engineer which I left 4 years ago.

Thank you in advance for your kind advice :)

Hi

I have a teeny weeny question?does anyone know what the professional year might be?Pls clarify.

Thanx in advance!

Hello everyone,

My most realistic scenario to reach the passing mark would be:

30 Age 25-32

10 IELTS 7

10 Work experience abroad 5 years

15 Degree

--

The last time I sat for IELTS a few years ago, I obtained 9-9-8-7. I wouldn't want to stress out on getting 8 for speaking, so realistically I should be able to maintain my IELTS 7.

I still have two concerns however:

1) Does the work experience have to come from a single SOL, or can it also be a sum of two SOLs? I have 3 years experience as a telecommunication engineer (2004-2007), and 3 years as a management accountant (2008-present). If I get only IELTS 7, I would need to maximize my points on work experience.

2) Does my degree have to match my nominated SOL? I have a British engineering degree (2003) and a French MBA (2008). I'm relying on my engineering degree for skills assessment (which should not be a problem), since the MBA does not fulfill the criteria of CPA. It would be easier for me to obtain detailed work references for my current job as a management accountant, rather than as an engineer which I left 4 years ago.

Thank you in advance for your kind advice :)

1- If you are claiming points for your work experience it should be relevant to the occupation code which you are applying with. and I think It cannot be from two different SOL codes

2-Your degrees should match SOL Code as well

In your case, If you are applying as an Engineer and would like to claim for work experience you have to prove that you have been working in your engineering field three years out of the last four years otherwise you won't get experience points

Regards

Hey there,

I would think you will be aright as I have seen others on here who applied for ss WA on 20th December and they have had their ss granted, so yours shouldn't be too far behind. Hopefully with the current quick turnarounds with ss it will be ok for us too. Not sure why our agent didn't tell us about the proposed new points system, maybe as nothing is law yet but we would of got the skills forms in alot quicker if we had known...oh well nothing we can do now but act quickly on all future things and hope!! thanks & good luck. let me know how u get on :hug:

Hey Lucysdream, how are you getting on? I see from your signature that part of your vetassess is complete. I hope you've not got too long to wait for the practical test. As you can tell from my signature the WA SS came through in approx 6 weeks and considering xmas got in the way I think that was pretty good going. Anyway I don't know if you'll see this post as it's a bit of a random place but I hope the dream is getting closer for you. Good luck. all the best Heather :smile:

Hey Lucysdream, how are you getting on? I see from your signature that part of your vetassess is complete. I hope you've not got too long to wait for the practical test. As you can tell from my signature the WA SS came through in approx 6 weeks and considering xmas got in the way I think that was pretty good going. Anyway I don't know if you'll see this post as it's a bit of a random place but I hope the dream is getting closer for you. Good luck. all the best Heather :smile:

Hey Heather, thanks for your msg. Congrats on getting your WA ss, u have done it!! :jiggy:

Yes my oh passed paper stage of vetassess, we found out yesterday. We now are in waiting game to find out how soon he can do practical, although his trade being new to vetassess may be technical interview. It might be end of March/April, but I hope if he can do it over the web it will be a lot sooner as we are ready now and every day counts with July fast approaching. That's new good you got ss in 6 weeks including xmas period, that gives me hope if we do have to wait a while for practical. I'm on a sort of high and slighty stressed all at the same time. I just need to hope luck it on my side.

tc, Lucy x

Guest Bob2008
Hi Bob2008 and everyone,

I'm due to take IELTS soon and need to get at least 8 across the board- do you have any advice or revision books? There seems to be loads- dont know which ones to get? Might get the official Cambrigde study guides??

Thanks

Hi Pixie10,

One good advice I can give, is do not learn English last month before the test. Do exams. There's a lot of exam materials in the Internet. I just did one full test (Listening, Reading, Writing) every day. I asked my wife to discuss common IELTS speaking subjects with me.

In MO it is important factor to have proper skills to do the test tasks. They don't have much in common with learning the language. That's why I advise you not to waste time on learning English last month before the test.

Examples of skills:

Listening:

Recognition of speech from the tape. Download listening tasks and listen to them, then answer test questions.

Reading:

Scanning and skimming.

Working with the text (you don't need to waste time reading all texts on the exam).

Writing:

The test contents depends on whether you take General or Academic.

Learn how to do required types of tasks. Like: how to write a letter (there are certain parts of a letter they expect from you);

How to describe a graph;

How to write an essay.

Not a bad explanation link down here:

Free ielts preparation

There's more in the Internet on preparing to the IELTS test. Even detailed instructions on the vocabulary for the Writing part, or typical subjects on Speaking.

Hey Hevchick, just seen your new timeline...........CO 08/03/11!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jiggy:

OMG CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! That is very quick to get a CO, and to think you were worried about July changes!! I told u you would be alright.:wink: Very happy for you.

Lucy x:goofy:

My OH is a qualified welder and has plenty of experience but if the points test changes in july we will be short 10 points, no idea where that will leave us. Hopefully we will apply before then. When do we find out IF it will change?

• 3 weeks later...
my partner has just scored a band score of eight, his results were 7 / 6.5 / 9 / 9 our agent is saying he is to re take test, based on not getting a seven for reading, we were told that an 8 was a pass, we are confused, help

Depending on the reasons for taking the test, 8 is a pass, but you also need to get a 7 in each section.

I was under the impression that if you got more than 1.5 difference in different bits they re-marked it - perhaps ask about remarking? - what section did he get the 6.5 in? (The writing and speaking are more subjective and more prone to mis marking apparently, whereas the other two are less likely due to being 'right/wrong' answers, or so I have heard).

Guest Guest 47403
Depending on the reasons for taking the test, 8 is a pass, but you also need to get a 7 in each section.

I was under the impression that if you got more than 1.5 difference in different bits they re-marked it - perhaps ask about remarking? - what section did he get the 6.5 in? (The writing and speaking are more subjective and more prone to mis marking apparently, whereas the other two are less likely due to being 'right/wrong' answers, or so I have heard).

On the new points test it states 20 points for Superior English, any idea if it means 8 overall or an 8 in each section?

Thanks

Baz

Guest Guest 47403
On the new points test it states 20 points for Superior English, any idea if it means 8 overall or an 8 in each section?

Thanks

Baz

It's ok found the answer it's 8 in each of the catergories.

Thanks

Baz

Have found out that it's a definate 8 points in each section when new regs come in, huuby is re taking test

Guest Guest 47403
Sorry if this has been posted before but under the new points test, is it the overal IELTS score that applies or would you have to achieve that mark in each section to qualify for the points?

It's that mark in each section not overall unfortunately.

Quick Question!

In the old points test, there was a basic eligibility requirement. You basically had to have 12 months work experience in the past 24 months. This requirement was basic and had to be fulfilled, although there were no points awarded for it.

----------------------

Now my question is is there a "Basic Eligibility" requirement for specific work experience in the new points test?

I see that there are different points awarded for work experience completed overseas and in Australia. But do i have to have work experience?

I am asking this question because i am finishing my 4th year in Canada. I am studying Accounting and would like to do my Chartered Accountancy. I have no work experience what so ever.

Is there any possibility that i can apply under 175 as a skilled Independent without "No Work Experience"?

Thank you very much in advance.

The work experience requirement is waived for applicants who have completed an Australian tertiary educational qualification relevant to the nominated occupation, while physically present in Australia over at least 16 calendar months immediately before lodging the application.

Hello Friends!

I'm trying my luck to apply for GSM (since it will be easier for me to start in Sydney, if ever). I wasn't able to prepare on time and for sure my application will be under this new points system.

I just had submitted my ACS assessment (for Systems Analyst) last month. I also took IELTS (just to check how I would fare) without any preparations whatsoever and got 8/9/7/7 in L/R/W/S. Assuming I'll get the +ve assessment from ACS, my only chance to hit the passmark (or most likely the passmark) of 65 is if I get an 8 in all modules so I'll take IELTS again after my assessment results. Cross fingers!

I'm working in a foreign country where they stopped issuing police clearance to foreigners. What other documents if the CO asks for a police clearance?

Does anyone know if the work experience has to be full time under the new points system? I've 10 years UK experience - full time from 2001-2, 30 hours / week from 2003 - 2005, 17.25 hours / week from 2005 - 2009 and 20 hours a week since jan 09.

Surely that counts for some extra points?

Thanks very much

Archived