New Points Test - Details Released 11 November

George Lombard

Does anyone know if the work experience has to be full time under the new points system? I've 10 years UK experience - full time from 2001-2, 30 hours / week from 2003 - 2005, 17.25 hours / week from 2005 - 2009 and 20 hours a week since jan 09.

Surely that counts for some extra points?

Thanks very much

The definition under the current system is work experience has to be undertaken at a minimum of 20 hrs/week...the current criteria is likely to carry forward for that...

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only problem i have with the whole system is that Ireland currently going through a recession so a lot of people are out of work for a while and even more cant get work in chosen proffession. As you have to prove paid work experience min 12mths out of last 24mths this is going to be difficult for many who did contribute to economy for many years and only been unemployed due to the recession. As Australia mainly wants English speaking people this puts the Irish at a huge disadvantage!

Guest activa
The regulations introducing the new points test have not yet been published ...

Some agents are speculating that there's a real chance that this new points system will not go ahead as planned because of the controversy around it. Is this just wishful thinking, or is it a real possibility? The fact that they still haven't made it official is somewhat telling.

(sorry if this question has been asked before, I haven't read everything on this forum)

The DIAC seems committed to it from what they've been saying and implying...

However, they have been admitting fierce resistance from educational providers and industry bodies alike...

With the budget closing in, industrial lobby groups are pushing for their side with more and more frequent news of skills shortages...

Guest Orniak

Hi!

With regards to the new points system... In the case you apply for the 175 visa before July 2011 with a total of 110 points, therefore not be able to reach their pass mark (120points) but being in within the range of their pool mark (between 100 and 120points).

What would it happen with this application?

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance!

Antonio

Hi!

With regards to the new points system... In the case you apply for the 175 visa before July 2011 with a total of 110 points, therefore not be able to reach their pass mark (120points) but being in within the range of their pool mark (between 100 and 120points).

What would it happen with this application?

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance!

Antonio

There will be no "pool" in the new points test...

Guest BLONDEE

Hi All, I have just joined and I am at the first port of call in finding out what i need to do to make steps in moving to Australia.

There are a few points: My husband was born in Australia and has an Australian passport:

We got married in August last year, I have 2 kids from a previous marriage We have 1 together.

My ex husband has stated that he would allow the kids to go.

I am a hairdresser my husband works in sales for LLOYD banking group.

And is aunt and husband and cousins live in perth, where i think we may go.

How do we go about things really have no idea,

Any hekp or advice would be very much appreciated,

Guest Joy Please

Under the new points system, a comparison of 2 candidates for 'Experience' points is as below -

Candidate 1 with 1 year of Australian work experience (5 points) and 3 years of offshore/overseas work experience (5 points)

Candidate 2 with 2 years of Australian work experience (5 points) and 2 years of offshore/overseas work experience (0 points)

Both candidates have 4 years of work experience. But candidate 1 gets more points than candidate 2. Isn't something missing there ? Shouldn't candidate 2 with more Australian work experience get more points ?

Joy

I'm attaching the Minister's press release and the points test to apply from July next year.

More analysis to come.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest baker

QUESTION

Hi, could anyone please answer the following, recently retrained as a baker/pastry cook/cake decorator - and have obtained level 2 diplomas, just trying to find relevant work now to gain sufficient experience and then find an employer sponsor - does anyone know how easy or difficult this is and if a certain part of Australia has a better chance of this

I previously when a lot younger spent a year in oz on a working holiday visa and would ideally like to go to Perth, also have friends there, but willing to go more or less anywhere to get in.

ALSO can anyone advise whether newly qualified people ever gets sponsored (I know nurses do with minimum experience but appreciate they are more in demand).

How often do immigration give an exemption on experience - ie if I only obtained 18months experience and got an employer sponsorship for example, the urgency is because it would fit in with my son not starting high school in the uk first.

Is it easier to get in on a 457 and then apply for an ensol? wouldnt want to have to return to uk after 4years.

I should appreciate any help, if anyone has any experience of how likely it would be to get an employer sponsor newly qualified with minimum experience, (my trade is on modl list), and how rigid are immigration on waivering the usual 3 year minimum experience

thanks

QUESTION

Hi, could anyone please answer the following, recently retrained as a baker/pastry cook/cake decorator - and have obtained level 2 diplomas, just trying to find relevant work now to gain sufficient experience and then find an employer sponsor - does anyone know how easy or difficult this is and if a certain part of Australia has a better chance of this

I previously when a lot younger spent a year in oz on a working holiday visa and would ideally like to go to Perth, also have friends there, but willing to go more or less anywhere to get in.

ALSO can anyone advise whether newly qualified people ever gets sponsored (I know nurses do with minimum experience but appreciate they are more in demand).

How often do immigration give an exemption on experience - ie if I only obtained 18months experience and got an employer sponsorship for example, the urgency is because it would fit in with my son not starting high school in the uk first.

Is it easier to get in on a 457 and then apply for an ensol? wouldnt want to have to return to uk after 4years.

I should appreciate any help, if anyone has any experience of how likely it would be to get an employer sponsor newly qualified with minimum experience, (my trade is on modl list), and how rigid are immigration on waivering the usual 3 year minimum experience

thanks

modl no longer exists

Does anyone know for sure if this new points system will be implemented in July?

Under the old system I score 125 (120 pass mark) but under the new system I'd get 90 (65 pass mark). Even If I scrape through IELTS I'd still get 70 (and I'd expect to get a good score for IELTS)

Does anyone know for sure if this new points system will be implemented in July?

Under the old system I score 125 (120 pass mark) but under the new system I'd get 90 (65 pass mark). Even If I scrape through IELTS I'd still get 70 (and I'd expect to get a good score for IELTS)

How did you count that? 90 points is pretty many, for example, I can't reach 65 with my ielts 6 and having more than 8 years overseas work experience. I'm 32 yo.

How did you count that? 90 points is pretty many, for example, I can't reach 65 with my ielts 6 and having more than 8 years overseas work experience. I'm 32 yo.

Age = 30

IELTS level 8 = 20

Overseas employment = 15

Degree = 15

State nomination = 5

Partner skills = 5

Total = 90

Age = 30

IELTS level 8 = 20

Overseas employment = 15

Degree = 15

State nomination = 5

Partner skills = 5

Total = 90

Thanks, now I see I don't have partner skills, state nomination, and ielts8 which give 30 points. So, I'm struggling to pass ielts with 7777 :)

Guest geoffsbutler

Hi all, hope everyone out there is well on this Sunday afternoon!

I've been following the discussions on the new 175 visa with some interest, as I'll be in a position to lodge my application sometime in June / July probably as I'm still waiting for my skills assessment to come back, which means I won't be in with a shout for the old visa system. Based on the preliminary points system that DIAC announced for this visa back last year, I should score 75 points which is hopefully enough to get me through.

My question is this - has anyone heard anything about how long the processing of applications for the new 175 visa is likely to take? So far, all I've heard is rumour and conjecture, so I was just wondering if there was anything a bit more solid out there! I'd really like to move to Melbourne, but as they're not currently accepting applications for ICT jobs (I'm a software developer), I'm kind of stuck with either finding a state that is still accepting software developer applications or waiting to see how long a 175 visa application will take.

Thanks in advance and all the best, Geoff

Guest mirob

hey guys,

have there been any announcements with regards to the 2011 Skills Occupation Test (SOL) draft? I thought they'd release it by mid May. Are they still planning to do that?

Thanks.

Guest becca0114

Trying really hard to get everything together for our 176 stsate sponsored visa before 1st July but think it is going to be a no goer. The VETASSESS practical is booked for the 21st May which when results are recieved means that I can apply to NSW for state sponsorship. When we get the go ahead from them we can apply from our visa. Could happen if everything runs smoothly but I am doing this alone without an agent so I don't hold out much hope. If the points system does change in July my partner,who is a carpenter will find it really hard to get the points and I just feel like I will be back to square one in the visa process again.

All I can do is carry on and hope for the best :wub:

Hi all,

I have some confusions. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have applied for TR on 17 July 2010. Now I want to apply for PR.

Degree assessment is 2231-79 ICT Recent Graduate. IELTS 6 each (required for TR, never tried IELTS after that).

So how do I need to go for PR? How can I get state sponsorship? Will I fall under new point system or the current?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the new points test is silly. I think they should have one for "academics" i.e. accounts, teachers and other office wallers then another for trades people. A tradesman might struggle to pass level 8 on ILETS and wont have a degree yet he can build the houses they need!

I think the new points test is more suited for paper pushers than trades so the balance is un-even.

Lets see what actually happens as I bet it gets delayed and they change it soon after when they realise it wont work.

I think the new points test is silly. I think they should have one for "academics" i.e. accounts, teachers and other office wallers then another for trades people. A tradesman might struggle to pass level 8 on ILETS and wont have a degree yet he can build the houses they need!

I think the new points test is more suited for paper pushers than trades so the balance is un-even.

Lets see what actually happens as I bet it gets delayed and they change it soon after when they realise it wont work.

Or maybe they've got enough tradesmen already and want to focus their efforts on attracting people with skills that are not readily taught locally? How many universities are there in somewhere like Western Australia ?? Compare that with the number of tradesmen on the ground who can take on an apprentice etc.

Its all about supply and demand of the right skills.

Guest adso1404

Hello,

Since I have not been writing on this forum for a while, I think it would be rude not to give you some background information before I shoot my question.

About 18 months ago I was badly affected by (and, as many other would-be migrants, very pissed at) the introduction of the so called "priority system", meaning that, as a result of it, my prospective application for a 175 visa would take years rather than months to be considered... So instead of forking out a disproportionate processing fee I decided, not without effort, to ditch my plans for me and my family to try to emigrate to Australia. And today I found out about this new points system likely to be introduced as from July 2011, which has shed a ray of hope to put our plans back on track...

Assuming the new points system is introduced in its current form, my breakdown of points would be as follows:

Age 25

English: 10 (IELTS done October 2009)

Overseas employment: 15; occupation: NAATI accredited translator

Education: 15

Community language (Spanish): 5 recognised by NAATI

TOTAL 70

So far, so good. BUT (and this is a big BUT) my profession (translator) is only on Schedule 4, which, as I see it, would only qualify me for a 176 subclass visa. The problem is that after a cursory glance at every single emigration programme, translators are not on their list of occupations in demand or whatever their current name is. And here is my question...do I have any options at all?

Many thanks in advance and thank you for your time.

Alex

Hello,

Since I have not been writing on this forum for a while, I think it would be rude not to give you some background information before I shoot my question.

About 18 months ago I was badly affected by (and, as many other would-be migrants, very pissed at) the introduction of the so called "priority system", meaning that, as a result of it, my prospective application for a 175 visa would take years rather than months to be considered... So instead of forking out a disproportionate processing fee I decided, not without effort, to ditch my plans for me and my family to try to emigrate to Australia. And today I found out about this new points system likely to be introduced as from July 2011, which has shed a ray of hope to put our plans back on track...

Assuming the new points system is introduced in its current form, my breakdown of points would be as follows:

Age 25

TOTAL 70

So far, so good. BUT (and this is a big BUT) my profession (translator) is only on Schedule 4, which, as I see it, would only qualify me for a 176 subclass visa. The problem is that after a cursory glance at every single emigration programme, translators are not on their list of occupations in demand or whatever their current name is. And here is my question...do I have any options at all?

Alex

What about Off-list nomination, would any of the states consider you for this?

Tania

Hello,

Age 25

TOTAL 70

Alex

Translator is on the ACT SMP though it says you must be "Currently employed in the ACT in the nominated occupation".

It might be worthwhile trying for a nomination with them. If you have excellent credentials and if they haven't had many other applications from Translators, maybe they'll consider you.

Several posters have mentioned a very obliging woman (Julliane) at ACT skills and business. Perhaps you could drop her an email and sound out your chances. Her email is businessmigration@act.gov.au

Archived