New Points Test - Details Released 11 November

George Lombard

Guest adso1404

Hi Ozmaniac,

Many thanks indeed for your reply! I admit I had not checked out the ACT's list simply because I didn't find the idea of moving to Canberra very appealing! But I may have to reconsider this if applying for nomination there is the only option left.

Thank you again for your useful (and hopeful) post!

Cheers,

Alex

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HighPeakJulie

Is the new points system in July 2011 definately happening?

The facts sheets on the Diac website (from November) mention the 'proposed' changes whereas any more recent communication talk about the new model in July 2012 as if this is the big change.

Was a new SOl list supposed to come out in May 2011?

We are still wating for SS from Victoria so may be lodging our 176 in June or July. Fortunately we will have enough points under both systems but wondering how this will effect processing if we have to apply in July.

Hi Mzzmp

I'd just like to say that, personally, we are thrilled by this new points test as we have always felt disadvantaged in the Visa process because we are "academics" with Degrees rather than trades people. It's nice to know our combined years of study, professional experience and English skills will finally be given some credit. Perhaps "paper pushers" and " office wallers" as you put it will now have a fair go in this difficult process and the balance will be redressed.

Hi Mzzmp

I'd just like to say that, personally, we are thrilled by this new points test as we have always felt disadvantaged in the Visa process because we are "academics" with Degrees rather than trades people. It's nice to know our combined years of study, professional experience and English skills will finally be given some credit. Perhaps "paper pushers" and " office wallers" as you put it will now have a fair go in this difficult process and the balance will be redressed.

Ditto. (Yes, that is my highly academic response :P)

Guest weebie

hi,

I'm really worried about the new points test and wondered if anyone could help me.

As a doctor, I have to go over on a temp visa initially and work for a year before I am granted the necessary medical registration to get my skills recognised for the visa.

i can then score

AGE 15 points

ENGLISH 20 points (with IELTS 8.5/8.5/9/9)

OZ WORK 5 points

QUALS 15 points

which leaves me needing another 10 points from other categories.

I have worked as a psychiatrist for 15 out of the last 16 years in the UK, so you would think that the 'overseas work experience' category should be easy for me, BUT, I've been told that maternity leave counts as a gap (I've had a year off in total,having had 2 children in the last 5 years) AND I then need to be in australia working for another year before I can start the process of applying for a permanent visa .This is a gap of 2 years and I therefore do not qualify for any points in this category if it is timed over the period immediately before lodging the application as the FAQs state.

Does anyone know if common sense will be applied, and they will look at the period immediately before I left the UK, given that I'm leaving to work in Oz and not take an extended holiday?

many thanks

Went to an event today and spoke to the Western Australia officials who said the new system is defiantly being implemented as of July 1st and is just as per the links at the start of this thread.

The lady did say that many people were very worried about it but it was just a reflection of the country's need to shift emphasis from tradespeople to those with academic skills/qualifications.

Hi my partner and I in the same boat well kind of, have done he done the practical for Vetasses ( Carpentry ) on April 20th 2011 and got conformation he passed 25 May. We have now sent in State sponsorship forms ( WA ) and our agent said they will lodge Main visa application next wk when we get final documents. This means they will be lodging with DIAC b4 we get state sponsorship but said they have 100% success rate with applications for state sponsorship with WA so are not worried. We have to get the app's in b4 the change in points test, as we will not qualify under new system. :(

Can you not do the same and lodge them both at the same time? Im on de edge of my seat thinking about it, as is a big move but will be a bigger let down if we dont get in.

Guest HighPeakJulie

Do the Priority groups / processing order change on the 1st July?

For example will a cat 2 176 logded in July (but under the new points system) be just behind the cat 176 lodged in June or would all the 176's (cat 3's) / 175's on the old system be processed first?

I assume there could also be a increase in applications on the 1st July with new people who didn't qualify under the old rules.

Guest HoutoMel
Do the Priority groups / processing order change on the 1st July?

For example will a cat 2 176 logded in July (but under the new points system) be just behind the cat 176 lodged in June or would all the 176's (cat 3's) / 175's on the old system be processed first?

I assume there could also be a increase in applications on the 1st July with new people who didn't qualify under the old rules.

THIS is my biggest question with the new points system. I sincerely hope that those of us likely applying in July won't be stuck in a twilight zone of sorts.

Ideally, in my own mind I would think that DIAC would (should?) have teams that have been trained/initiated and focused on the new points system applications, while others are concentrated on clearing the queue of applications under the old system. Essentially a parallel process.

Either way, I'm hoping against hope that the new points system will not add too much time to processing. They really seem to have gotten the time down considerably.

Guest HighPeakJulie
THIS is my biggest question with the new points system. I sincerely hope that those of us likely applying in July won't be stuck in a twilight zone of sorts.

Ideally, in my own mind I would think that DIAC would (should?) have teams that have been trained/initiated and focused on the new points system applications, while others are concentrated on clearing the queue of applications under the old system. Essentially a parallel process.

Either way, I'm hoping against hope that the new points system will not add too much time to processing. They really seem to have gotten the time down considerably.

Yes you have explained it exactly. We will still qualify with the new points system but don't want to be in the 'twilight zone'...and paying 15% more for the Visa.

We have been waiting for SS from Victoria for 11 weeks now - and WA have just added accountants to the list

Guest greo2908

Hi all

I've just been on DIAC and they have now finally announced the new points system which is coming in from 1st July 2011 (feel like I've been waiting for an eternity!). No apparent shocks or changes as far as I can see and the new points threshold has been set at the 65 point level. :biggrin:

Here's the link for anyone interested.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-test.pdf

The visa forms unfortunately remain as per the old rules :arghh: but no doubt this will be amended within the next few days as no doubt there must be a few people who need to apply like me to qualify for the points (I turn 40 in Aug and lose 10 points :eek:)

Im not sure to be honest asked agent and they just said not to worry as they have 100% success rate with ss for WA. Its a mute point now as we did'nt realise OH other children who although are not migrating will need medicals birthcerts passports etc for us to lodge application with DIAC. The youngest girls passport out of date so new one should arrive by 14 June so hoping to lodge DIAC app by the 15 June! LOL

Got the SS WA after 5 days of lodging which i thought really fast!

Hi all! Im a bit confused but Im sure someone on here will be able to help. My Oh has an Uncle in Melbourne that is willing to sponsor us which is great! However on the old points test we would have got some points for this on a 175/176 but on the new one it says we wont?!?! Anyone know why this is or as otherwise Im not sure we will meet the points. :( As my OH is a business analyst but has only been in with his employer for nearly 18 months.... previous to that he was a web developer from March 07 to around sept 08 but got laid off due to the company not being able to afford the pay him but did some freelancing for the company for around 3 months after. Does the 3 years IT experience have to be consecutively? And does it have to be the same job as they are different roles but still in IT. He wasn't unemployed between the two jobs was just doing general customer service as there was no IT positions available. Sorry for the long post we just want to try and get the process started asap and not really sure the route or if it is even possible! *fingers crossed*

Thanks

Hi all! Im a bit confused but Im sure someone on here will be able to help. My Oh has an Uncle in Melbourne that is willing to sponsor us which is great! However on the old points test we would have got some points for this on a 175/176 but on the new one it says we wont?!?! Anyone know why this is or as otherwise Im not sure we will meet the points. :( As my OH is a business analyst but has only been in with his employer for nearly 18 months.... previous to that he was a web developer from March 07 to around sept 08 but got laid off due to the company not being able to afford the pay him but did some freelancing for the company for around 3 months after. Does the 3 years IT experience have to be consecutively? And does it have to be the same job as they are different roles but still in IT. He wasn't unemployed between the two jobs was just doing general customer service as there was no IT positions available. Sorry for the long post we just want to try and get the process started asap and not really sure the route or if it is even possible! *fingers crossed*

Thanks

Don't give up yet !

Family sponsorship is ending. Employment doesn't have to be constant I don't think, it's the total time doing that occupation or something very close to it that matters.

Look at State sponsorship for a 176 visa. You need to check his occupation is on any State lists and get his skills assessed for his chosen Oz occupation. :wink:

That's the PR route but you could always try an Employer sponsored visa too if you can find a willing company.

Don't give up yet !

Family sponsorship is ending. Employment doesn't have to be constant I don't think, it's the total time doing that occupation or something very close to it that matters.

Look at State sponsorship for a 176 visa. You need to check his occupation is on any State lists and get his skills assessed for his chosen Oz occupation. :wink:

That's the PR route but you could always try an Employer sponsored visa too if you can find a willing company.

Thanks for the reply. We have already looked into state sponsorship but the state we are interested in (Victoria) isn't taking any more for IT professions. Could look at other states but we really want Victoria as we have friends and family there so wouldn't be completely alone! Lol

Where could we look for employer sponsorship?

Thanks

I believe family sponsorship might still be possible after 01/07/2011. It won't bring any additional points, but would give appeal rights in the event of an unsuccessful visa application.

Best regards.

So even thou there are no points with it should we still put it down? Would it help us in a way even thou there are no points with it?

Thanks

So even thou there are no points with it should we still put it down? Would it help us in a way even thou there are no points with it?

Thanks

I repeat: it won't bring any additional points, but would give appeal rights in the event of an unsuccessful visa application.

Best regards.

I repeat: it won't bring any additional points, but would give appeal rights in the event of an unsuccessful visa application.

Best regards.

Thanks, I see that it's still poss to get family points on a 475 visa. Is this visa easier to get than a 175? I know it's only a temporary one but after the 3 years is it easy to get made permanent? Sorry for all the questions just confused!!

Guest Shimmer Girl

I have one but, a major confusion about claiming points for educational qualifications gained overseas. I have obtained a Master's degree in Information technology after completing a graduate diploma in IT.

1. Is it possible for me to claim 15 points for having an overseas Masters degree? (But I have obtained this after a graduate diploma in IT not a bachelors degree)
  2. I got my ACS assessment as 261111 after submitting above qualifications, which means am I entitle for 10 points ?

I'm bit nervous that it seem to me that I won't be able to claim 15 points because I don't have a bachelors degree. Will they give 15 points for graduate diploma then masters degree? taken in a single subject stream i.e Information Technology. :wideeyed:

Archived