Why are you going ?

Guest chris955

Guest guest36187

There needs to be negative and positive posts on PIO to make the balance. Life is not always rosy in Oz and those of us that adore life here will happily tell you that .

Just because someone posts something negative about Australia, it doesnt mean that their opinion is any less valuable,.

You need to make your own decision based on what you want out of life here and the reality of what you can expect.

Good Luck GoldGang x x x

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said it previously (and I'm saying it again), that you need both sides of the story in order to make your own decision. I love my life in Australia, I know some people don't and before I came I used to seek out the posts were people were returning to see what their reasons were. Some wouldn't be the same for me personally, whilst others would strike a cord and hubby and I would discuss what we'd do if those circustances were to arise for us.

The majority of people who are on PIO who are returning home, had the same aspirations, dreams and hopes that those are embarking on their journey have, it didn't turn out the way they'd hoped, or they've had a bloody good time, but feel that home isn't here but somewhere else.

I personally welcome all tales about Aus, I chose to ignore those that aren't relevant to me ... As Joanne said, whilst our lives are good here we'll tell you it's not Eutopia and wear the rose coloured specs at your peril .... be realistic and make of it what you will - and please don't be put off from sharing your thoughts good or bad.

Guest chris955

Anyway can we please get this thread back on topic, other threads get closed and cleaned up when they get like this. The thread is for people RETURNING TO THE UK. My advice for those not returning is to either ignore the thread or...well actually just ignore it really. :biggrin:

Can I ask that this thread be cleaned up please as it is specifically for people moving back to the UK not to be used for some kind of party political broadcast. Thanks.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We agree on something at last.

Townsville - your hot topic.

my cousin who lives with his life partner who is black and surprising enough, they have never suffered any homophobia or racism, and he says he has lived in Townsville for 10 years and it is a breathtakingky beautiful place, really modern sea front, with the walkway, the Strand i think its called, where there are outdoor swimming pools and play areas for the kids, with adjoining barbecues, outdoor cafes and resteraunts, and the atmosphere when sitting out in the evening is brilliant. The weather he loves, it is hot, but he says he has great air-con, just an idea, also he says the houses are alot cheaper than other areas and you can get a real bargain if you look around. I suppose everyone likes different things.

Guest guest36187

Ok, Can we respect peoples posts please as their own opinions. All posts are as valid as the next, whether or not you agree with them, thats irrespective. Lets show some respect

We agree on something at last.

Townsville - your hot topic.

my cousin who lives with his life partner who is black and surprising enough, they have never suffered any homophobia or racism, and he says he has lived in Townsville for 10 years and it is a breathtakingky beautiful place, really modern sea front, with the walkway, the Strand i think its called, where there are outdoor swimming pools and play areas for the kids, with adjoining barbecues, outdoor cafes and resteraunts, and the atmosphere when sitting out in the evening is brilliant. The weather he loves, it is hot, but he says he has great air-con, just an idea, also he says the houses are alot cheaper than other areas and you can get a real bargain if you look around. I suppose everyone likes different things.

Very pleased your cousin likes it but it certainly wasn't a place I would want to spend the rest of my life.

The Strand is lovely and the riverway but that about all it has to offer in my opinion. The weather is great if you like sweating constantly very hot very humid the winter were ok.

And I am very suprised that your cousin thinks that property is cheaper that certainly wasn't our experience, I guess you can buy cheaper houses in the undesirable areas.

Hi, im new to PIO, stubbled across it. We have lived in Brisbane for the past 4 years. I have gone through and read everyone thoughts on this issue.

I would say to anyone reading these threads, dont be put off. Everyone is different, everyone wants different things out of life, BUT this is my take on the whole thing, but I will say again, DONT BE PUT OFF, this is my opion and I wouldnt want to put anyone off trying it, but you do need to be advised at what your are leaving in the UK and what life is really like here.

I did a lot of research on Brisbane, our chosen destination. Got all the books, magazines, joined forums Used the internet, asked friends of friends that were living in OZ and they loved it here..

We used a migration agent, who is based in the UK, she was very good, but we never really asked her for much advise as to what it was like to acutally live here in OZ.

If I had seen these threads on here before I left, would I have taken any notice? The answer would be NO, I would still have given it a go.

We arrived in June 2006. Rented a fully furnished house for 6 weeks until our container arrived from UK. Finding a rental house in the area we were looking proved difficult as there wasnt much about for rental back then.

It was scary to start with, we didnt know anyone, had no jobs, and had to find schools, and daycare for my two children, aged then, 2 & 7. We met up with an english couple within the first few days of moving here, who had arrived a few days prior to us, and we became friends.

I then got my eldest into school, and have made some lovely australian friends through the school.

My husband got a job, (car sprayer by trade), but the work conditions and health and safety are near enough non existant compared to the UK. After a year, I got myself a job, again the whole work attitude is differnet here, you can come and go as you please here and no one seems to bat an eyelid!!! I cannot get used to the fact that someone I work with has more time off sick then she does actually working and dosent get into trouble for it!! A lot of people seem to have the Monday or the Friday as a regular sick day, its just a way of life here.

Cost of living has got out of control in the past few years, compared to what it was like when we first moved here. The choice of supermarkets (ALDI, Coles & Woolworths and IGA if you want to pay there prices!) is not good.

Clothes - if you like surf gear then your in the right place, but again expensive ($80 - $100 for a pair of board shorts), womans clothes, one extreme to the other, either really expensive (Myer, David Jones, Witchery), or cheap, Best & Less, Target, Kmart). If you are into designer clothes, forget it here! The aussies dont do designer at all (not that im into it either).

Food - If you like takeaway food you will be spoilt for choice, Mcdonalds, KFC, Hungry Jacks (Burger King) Pizza Hut, Dominos, Red Rooster. These are found on nearly every street corner (no wonder there is an obesity problem here in OZ). We were under the impression that the majority of Aussies live for the outdoor life, are all fit and healthy and not overweight, how wrong we were! There is also the drinking, and gambling. You cannot go into a pub or tavern here without there being Pokies or Tab (gaming machines, and horses). there are also the titties bars, where most Fridays, you will be served a drink with young girls dressed in bikins, most of the time without tops, but if you dont like it, dont go in there!

We have bought our house, 3 bedroom lowset (bungalow) in a big block with a pool. We got a fixed rate mortgage, was advised at the time that it was the best thing to do. We have since tried to get out of this mortgage, but are tied to it for the remainder of the two years or pay $17,000 to get out of it!

The weather, when its not raining is lovely, but get very humid and very damp. I have mixed emotions about OZ, but I know deep down I cannot settle here, my husbands hates it and want to move back to UK as well. We have friends here that love it, and also family in Sydney that love it. We also have friends that feel the same as us, as I said everyone is different.

We are in debt now, have a mortgage, and no home in the UK. We sold everything in the UK before moving over, dont even have a bank account there now.

The education isnt what I was led to beleive. Both my kids are further behind, and are in one of the best schools in the area. For me to get them back up to speed, I will need to pay for private schooling which I cannot afford.

We have tired it and Oz isnt for us. We have had some lovley times here, but I feel trapped now, and desparatley want to go back.

My advice would be do not cut all ties with UK, if you can afford to, keep your home in the UK, move over here for at least six months and get a real good feeling for the place. I wish we had done that.

THIS IS HOW WE FEEL, DONT BE PUT OFF, TRY YOUR DREAMS, GIVE IT A GO, IT MAY WORKOUT FOR YOUXXX

Guest chris955

Great first post Creese, sorry to hear it hasn't worked out but I agree with all your findings to be honest. This country can give you a great lifestyle IF what it offers is what you are looking for. Sounds obvious I know but spending all your time on the beach or fishing or in the pool or whatever else isn't for everyone. The UK can also give a family a great lifestyle if what it offers is for you.

What your post demonstrates well is that no amount of research can prepare you for actual day to day life and if it doesn't feel right then it obviously isn't right. Australia is not a one size fits all Utopia, for many it is and for many others it isn't. What people need to remember is there is no shame in admitting you were wrong.

Guest The Gold Gang
Hi, im new to PIO, stubbled across it. We have lived in Brisbane for the past 4 years. I have gone through and read everyone thoughts on this issue.

I would say to anyone reading these threads, dont be put off. Everyone is different, everyone wants different things out of life, BUT this is my take on the whole thing, but I will say again, DONT BE PUT OFF, this is my opion and I wouldnt want to put anyone off trying it, but you do need to be advised at what your are leaving in the UK and what life is really like here.

I did a lot of research on Brisbane, our chosen destination. Got all the books, magazines, joined forums Used the internet, asked friends of friends that were living in OZ and they loved it here..

We used a migration agent, who is based in the UK, she was very good, but we never really asked her for much advise as to what it was like to acutally live here in OZ.

If I had seen these threads on here before I left, would I have taken any notice? The answer would be NO, I would still have given it a go.

We arrived in June 2006. Rented a fully furnished house for 6 weeks until our container arrived from UK. Finding a rental house in the area we were looking proved difficult as there wasnt much about for rental back then.

It was scary to start with, we didnt know anyone, had no jobs, and had to find schools, and daycare for my two children, aged then, 2 & 7. We met up with an english couple within the first few days of moving here, who had arrived a few days prior to us, and we became friends.

I then got my eldest into school, and have made some lovely australian friends through the school.

My husband got a job, (car sprayer by trade), but the work conditions and health and safety are near enough non existant compared to the UK. After a year, I got myself a job, again the whole work attitude is differnet here, you can come and go as you please here and no one seems to bat an eyelid!!! I cannot get used to the fact that someone I work with has more time off sick then she does actually working and dosent get into trouble for it!! A lot of people seem to have the Monday or the Friday as a regular sick day, its just a way of life here.

Cost of living has got out of control in the past few years, compared to what it was like when we first moved here. The choice of supermarkets (ALDI, Coles & Woolworths and IGA if you want to pay there prices!) is not good.

Clothes - if you like surf gear then your in the right place, but again expensive ($80 - $100 for a pair of board shorts), womans clothes, one extreme to the other, either really expensive (Myer, David Jones, Witchery), or cheap, Best & Less, Target, Kmart). If you are into designer clothes, forget it here! The aussies dont do designer at all (not that im into it either).

Food - If you like takeaway food you will be spoilt for choice, Mcdonalds, KFC, Hungry Jacks (Burger King) Pizza Hut, Dominos, Red Rooster. These are found on nearly every street corner (no wonder there is an obesity problem here in OZ). We were under the impression that the majority of Aussies live for the outdoor life, are all fit and healthy and not overweight, how wrong we were! There is also the drinking, and gambling. You cannot go into a pub or tavern here without there being Pokies or Tab (gaming machines, and horses). there are also the titties bars, where most Fridays, you will be served a drink with young girls dressed in bikins, most of the time without tops, but if you dont like it, dont go in there!

We have bought our house, 3 bedroom lowset (bungalow) in a big block with a pool. We got a fixed rate mortgage, was advised at the time that it was the best thing to do. We have since tried to get out of this mortgage, but are tied to it for the remainder of the two years or pay $17,000 to get out of it!

The weather, when its not raining is lovely, but get very humid and very damp. I have mixed emotions about OZ, but I know deep down I cannot settle here, my husbands hates it and want to move back to UK as well. We have friends here that love it, and also family in Sydney that love it. We also have friends that feel the same as us, as I said everyone is different.

We are in debt now, have a mortgage, and no home in the UK. We sold everything in the UK before moving over, dont even have a bank account there now.

The education isnt what I was led to beleive. Both my kids are further behind, and are in one of the best schools in the area. For me to get them back up to speed, I will need to pay for private schooling which I cannot afford.

We have tired it and Oz isnt for us. We have had some lovley times here, but I feel trapped now, and desparatley want to go back.

My advice would be do not cut all ties with UK, if you can afford to, keep your home in the UK, move over here for at least six months and get a real good feeling for the place. I wish we had done that.

THIS IS HOW WE FEEL, DONT BE PUT OFF, TRY YOUR DREAMS, GIVE IT A GO, IT MAY WORKOUT FOR YOUXXX

It sounds awful. I wouldn't like any of the things you describe, is that really all there is to life in Brisbane? What about theatres and restaurants, museums and markets? I know there are those fast food places everywhere but there surely must be nicer places to have a meal out sometimes?

I wouldn't be expecting all the same things we have here in the UK but surely there must be some cultural activities going on? :shocked:

It sounds awful. I wouldn't like any of the things you describe, is that really all there is to life in Brisbane? What about theatres and restaurants, museums and markets? I know there are those fast food places everywhere but there surely must be nicer places to have a meal out sometimes?

I wouldn't be expecting all the same things we have here in the UK but surely there must be some cultural activities going on? :shocked:

There are heaps of cultural activities going on around Brisbane and also a great selection of restaurants that contrary to what some people say don't all shut at 9pm. We love heading out to the markets on the weekends and whilst there is not the same number of theatres as there are in London, there is always a show or two on and the museums are fab places to visit.

One of the things i love about Brisbane is that there is so much to do, and no I don't just mean going to the pub or beach as I neither swim nor drink very much.

This website might help you see what things there are around Brisbane ourbrisbane.com | Guide for Brisbane events, dining, real estate, TV, travel, hotels + more

Your right there is much to do...but can also be costly. Southbank is lovely, swimming pools are great and my kids love it, and yes the markets are nice and there are nice restaurants and fast food outlets, but again can be costly.

Parking at parklands is expensive, but the cheapest way to get into the city is via city cat, or train.

There is the museum which is free, but you do pay for the science museum. There is two art galleries, which again are free, but you do have to pay for the exhibitions.

Botanical parklands are lovely again free, but again you need to pay for the parking.

As I said before this show I feel. There is lots to do some free, some not. Depends what you want, I'm just pointing the bits out that no one else likes to talk about!

I have heaps of friends that love it here, and heaps that don't. Everyone is different!

Guest Tinkertailerdog

We moved back to the UK earlier this year as we missed family and friends. We're now in the process of returning to Melbourne.

As i say, one of the reasons we returned was because we missed family and friends; since being back the in-laws have never once offered to look after our two kids (3 and 4), it's all they can do to get off their backside and visit us, they ruined our Christmas because of their need to argue about everything and anything, my friends in London are great but they're not interested in coming to visit us, it's up to us to go and see them?!

I'm not in anyway saying that the in-laws SHOULD look after our kids or our friends come and visit us, but when you're 13,000 miles away you kind of think that the grass is greener and all that.

I'm an engineer and was paid almost 4x more in Melly than i am currently getting here. My wife cannot get work here, but her employer in Melly wants her back and she'll get handsomely paid for doing so.

I agree that Aus is more isolated than the UK, has issues with the cost of living, has issues with this and that - but having been back here now for almost a year i personally cannot wait to get back. The UK has little to offer me or my family.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I see your from Leeds mate, its grim up north, we live in Dewsbury.

I like your post, it is a common theme on PIO, people emigrate and can't settle, miss family alot, especially if they come back for a visit, because their families make alot of them, they come back to the uk and family initially are keen to see them and then they hardly visit. So people end up going back to OZ, because the reasons why they left the uk are still there. We are all different, this won't happen to everyone, but it does happen. I say this if you manage to secure decent jobs back in the uk and get to live in a nice area, the exchange rate is great for folk coming up and houses are nearly at rock bottom and you will under these circumstances have a great quality of life, but if you take a risk, you could be wishing you hadn't bothered.

Wow some emotions on this thread, bottom line is try it and if you don't like it go back to the UK, both Countries are great places to live and we are lucky to have the choice to live in either.

p.s if you are going back to Oz or the UK would it not be a good idea to try a different location if possible in the place you left in the first place did not suit you.

Guest chris955

Yes a good point about a different location, people hate where they are but rather than move somewhere else (south) they will move to the other side of the planet.

I see your from Leeds mate, its grim up north, we live in Dewsbury.

I like your post, it is a common theme on PIO, people emigrate and can't settle, miss family alot, especially if they come back for a visit, because their families make alot of them, they come back to the uk and family initially are keen to see them and then they hardly visit. So people end up going back to OZ, because the reasons why they left the uk are still there. We are all different, this won't happen to everyone, but it does happen. I say this if you manage to secure decent jobs back in the uk and get to live in a nice area, the exchange rate is great for folk coming up and houses are nearly at rock bottom and you will under these circumstances have a great quality of life, but if you take a risk, you could be wishing you hadn't bothered.

Hello Jim

It's not Leeds prison you work at is it?

sorry for taking off thread

I don't like Brisbane for me it was boring and souless unlike other Aussie citys.

But the proof is in the pudding, Most people who move there like it. It abviously does ring many peoples bells.

What rings somones bell does not ring another.

At the end of the day we are all diffrent. Just do as much rersurch as you can.

As for me coming home? Brissy just simply was not for me, then money dictated what I did next.

Moral of the story is, if you have the money give it a go

The thing is it is all a very emotional process and you have dreams about how it will be when you move to Oz and when you move back - the most important thing is you work through it to some reality if you can. I remind myself regularly what we moved back for better work, education, long term opportunity for our kids and ourselves. On grey miserable days it can be hard - but strangely whenever I am outside I still love the air even when it's like the clouds are around your feet. Family are weird like they always have been but I appreciate them more even though they are still nutters. Friends are dealing with their own challenges and it's not their job to run around after me so am grateful for the love I have and accept that real life is about real life. I do miss the sunshine and regularly am wistful for the beach but remind myself I rarely got there and when I did I always had to get to the supermarket or home for the laundry etc. I look forward to the spring and more time with my lovely Mum and BF and my new spirit of adventure that I didn't have before I went to Oz.

Guest Mazovia

We are in Perth, Scotland and following this Forum to get a picture what it's like in Oz. I feel that Scotland is a very attractive place to live and I hope you will not be dissapointed on your return.

Guest GillianM

Hey Mazovia, we are from Perth Scotland and have neen in Berwick melbourne since 3rd August. We know it isn't for us so are flying back home to cold Scotland on 18th January. Glad we came to try but looking forward in returning back home.

Gillian

Guest guest36187
There are heaps of cultural activities going on around Brisbane and also a great selection of restaurants that contrary to what some people say don't all shut at 9pm. We love heading out to the markets on the weekends and whilst there is not the same number of theatres as there are in London, there is always a show or two on and the museums are fab places to visit.

One of the things i love about Brisbane is that there is so much to do, and no I don't just mean going to the pub or beach as I neither swim nor drink very much.

This website might help you see what things there are around Brisbane ourbrisbane.com | Guide for Brisbane events, dining, real estate, TV, travel, hotels + more

GoldGang

Our brisbane covers everything. In and around Brissie there is TONS to do!!!

There is always shows on in Brissie. SInce being here in 05 we have seen:

- war of the worlds

- les mis

- Miss Saigon

- Phantom of the Opera

- Dirty Dancing

- My Fair Lady

There is always concerts going on at the Brisbane COnvention and Entertainment centre. COntrary to popular belief big bands come here!!! We have seen Clapton, Billy Joel x2 , The Police, Robbie Williams, U2 and more

We have also seen Billy Connolly, Riverdance and more!!!!!!!!

Life here is good. If you are willing to get off your butt to go find the good stuff it is there!!!!!!!

Good Luck, you`ll be right!!

Guest Tinkertailerdog
Hey Mazovia, we are from Perth Scotland and have neen in Berwick melbourne since 3rd August. We know it isn't for us so are flying back home to cold Scotland on 18th January. Glad we came to try but looking forward in returning back home.

Gillian

For us, we were missing home after approximately 3 months and returned home after a year. Other than missing family and friends (see earlier post) the other problem for us was the need to constantly compare everything to the UK - cost of a loaf of bread, cost of wine, cost of fuel, clothes, milk, electronic goods etc etc etc, then there was the "they don't sell that here" which was crazy cause after all it is another country and they have their own culture/preferences!

The habit of comparisons lets the rut set in and you'll get even more homesick.

Guest guest30038
For us, we were missing home after approximately 3 months and returned home after a year. Other than missing family and friends (see earlier post) the other problem for us was the need to constantly compare everything to the UK - cost of a loaf of bread, cost of wine, cost of fuel, clothes, milk, electronic goods etc etc etc, then there was the "they don't sell that here" which was crazy cause after all it is another country and they have their own culture/preferences!

The habit of comparisons lets the rut set in and you'll get even more homesick.

True. You have to let go of the past for the future to work for you. As soon as I stopped comparing to the UK, and wondering why they didn't sell so and so here, the much happier and settled I became.

kev

Archived