Why are you going ?

Guest chris955

Guest chris955

Most people have no idea they have them in their yard or house, if they are in the area or next door then it is a 99% certainty they are VERY close to your house. They will go under the slab and look for the tiniest crack to come up through. The problem is that the first sign is a little bubble in the plasterboard or in the paint in the skirting board. Spraying, barriers etc are of some value but they just find a gap.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

That would never work, I am way too negative for it to work :laugh:

Why didn't you erect a forcefield of positivity? I'm led to believe that will keep termites at bay AND protect you from meteorological phenomenon :biggrin: Take a long hard look mate.....

Guest Temporary Settler

For a start I would have to say the most expensive houses, cars and food in the western world. Also I must add that after living and working in the tropics for a while ( Although I have spent most of my time working and living in the cooler south of the country), that wonderful heat looses its appeal real quick after the first 5 hours in the wet season. Sweating like a pig all day is not what the immigration agents tell you about. Also I'm sure they don't tell you the truth that many of the jobs that pay well here are in extremely rough 3rd world outback areas where drunken aboriginals lying in the gutter are a routine sight. Most miners are fly in fly out workers (because the mine area looks like the planet Mars and the workers would probably shoot themselves if they stayed to long).

I am not exagerating or joking.

For a start I would have to say the most expensive houses, cars and food in the western world. Also I must add that after living and working in the tropics for a while ( Although I have spent most of my time working and living in the cooler south of the country), that wonderful heat looses its appeal real quick after the first 5 hours in the wet season. Sweating like a pig all day is not what the immigration agents tell you about. Also I'm sure they don't tell you the truth that many of the jobs that pay well here are in extremely rough 3rd world outback areas where drunken aboriginals lying in the gutter are a routine sight. Most miners are fly in fly out workers (because the mine area looks like the planet Mars and the workers would probably shoot themselves if they stayed to long).

:shocked:Surley you dont need a migration expert to tell you that you may sweat in hot countries.

Guest siamsusie

:biglaugh:MY OH has done 25 years in Planet Mars then.... I have done 5 years... the experience was one of the best periods of my life, infrastructure was/is great... Drunken white men were also a common experience not just Aborigines.:biglaugh: There are thousands of Miners that are resident, and not FIFO.

I dont think it is up to Immigration agents to inform you of your new surroundings, ever heard of books, pc etc:biggrin:

Let's face it. If they are paying good money it's not because you're going to be working in a tropical paradise lounging by a pool. It's good money 'cos the conditions aren't nice. I've been to a few FIFO sites and they are in the middle of nowhere BUT the companies do their best to make it bearable when not at work. The food is good and usually free. If you are a big eater you would love it. They usually supply a gym and sometimes an above ground pool. A lot of the guys might prefer not to bother and just like a few beers and off to bed. They usually do 12 hour shifts too, so pretty tiring.

At least you get good money, not like working for the NCB in the UK where I went from school. Coming out of the pit trying to get the dust out of your eyes so it didn't look like you had mascara on when sat in the pub later. Always that last bit hanging around and everyone knew what shift you had been on by how much coal dust you still had on you.

They are also obsessed with health and safety and the environment here. Got to obey the rules or you get in serious trouble. OHS for the NCB was an afterthought.

A lot of people love living in the outback and mining communities. At least they have community which is sadly lacking in a lot of so called "nicer places" to live.

Its not the countryside, the views, the house or the furniture these do not give us community.

A lot of people love living in the outback and mining communities. At least they have community which is sadly lacking in a lot of so called "nicer places" to live.

Its not the countryside, the views, the house or the furniture these do not give us community.

Agreed, there are a lot who enjoy that lifestyle and even better off they would be if they can adapt.

Guest Janey66

Hi, We are going back home after 3 months.weather has been good but thats only positive.We are both incredibly homesick but cant put a finger on why.OH had no luck ,apart from back breaking removal work,with job hunting and feels that they were taking the michael.I think 23 years engineering fitting at the highest levels should count but he got knockbacks for "tickets" he didnt have which are not issued in UK and seem absurd and petty.The rental was on a busy street which was incredibly noisy with hoons regularly driving at full pelt.No wonder it was so cheap for a big house!!!.most aussies are nice people tho but bad news from UK family swung our decision.We will be skint for years probably but will at least be near friends and family:biggrin:

Guest chris955

Sorry to hear about your troubles but for your sake I'm glad you have decided to go home. You arent alone with the ridiculous red tape and trade qualifications, they seem to have a ticket for literally everything.

Good luck for the future.

Lots of people seem to have made the decision to return to the UK or indeed whatever other country they left. I was wondering what are the reasons ? I ask because there seems to be many different reasons behind the move, for us it really isn't anything to do with not liking this country because although there are many things we dislike here it has come down to what the UK will give us. Whichever country we are in we dislike crime and idiots on the road and costs going up etc. I have always disliked the isolation in this country, something that is seen as a positive by others and love the feeling of being in amongst it in the UK. We don't have a better life here although obviously others do and our kids will have whatever future they choose to chase.

I'm just interested in what made others choose what they have, this isn't a whinge thread, just genuine reasons.

Maybe it the snow they seem to like ...........im sure you will find there are more people staying and coming over than there are going back to -7 uk .....:biglaugh:.......now then, a nice cold beer ,a quick dip and then back in the aircon to cool down ...Happy Xmas ............:wink:...and enjoy the snow before it turns to slush.........then ice ....

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Maybe it the snow they seem to like ...........im sure you will find there are more people staying and coming over than there are going back to -7 uk .....:biglaugh:.......now then, a nice cold beer ,a quick dip and then back in the aircon to cool down ...Happy Xmas ............:wink:...and enjoy the snow before it turns to slush.........then ice ....

Stop it tonyman

your rubbing our faces in it, i don't mind your wife doing this, but your hairy sweaty torso, isn't something i want to think about and stop posting false information about the uk weather.................. its actually been -10, -15 and -20 plus here over the last few weeks.:shocked::cry::no:

Enjoy the sun mate, merry christmas, from freezyknackeroonland.

And the point of your post is....??

Guest chris955

There is absolutely no point whatsoever, same stuff over and over and over.

Can I just remind people that this thread is for people returning to the UK, can they take their petty comments elsewhere please.

Well Jim as a Canadian who moved to Australia, I have to disagree with your post. I have found Australia very expensive. I also am friends with lots of Australians at work, and everyone I speak to has said how expensive Australia has gotten in the past 4 years.

My OH and I had a combined income of approx $145k a year prior to him losing his job, and we still found it expensive. On a income like that back in Canada we would have lived like kings and queens !!. We are now on an income of $50k and that is why we are going back, there is no way we can survive on that amount.

Also Jim I take personal offence to you saying that people accept low income jobs... you make it sound like the majority of people on PIO will be accepting high paying jobs... sorry to burst your buble mate.. but the reality of living here, is that not everyone in Australia is making $65 to $100k and if you are then consider yourself damn lucky!!

Jim I know that you LOVE Australia, and I don't hate Australia (it just hasn't worked out for us), however, sometimes the way you rabbit on to prospective immigrants, you would think that this country has a bloody red carpet waiting for new migrants and the streets are paved with gold, and that everyone who gets a visa will get a high paying job.

Sorry mate, but the dream and the reality are often two different things.... yes lots of people make a good go of it, but please stop shooting us down for those that didn't land that $100k a year job, and have struggled.

I really hope that when you move over to Australia it is your Utopia, as you have built it up so much, but at the end of the day, please give some respect to us moving back, the majority of us have had some hard decisions to come to !!

Cheers

Karen

Good post mate, whwer in Canada you going? always fancied it myself, whats the work for refridge engineers like ?

Some of my family are in Brisbane and they say it has been raining for what seems ages, worst weather this year they have ever experienced, feel sorry for them as they were going to this and were looking forward to it :embarrassed: anyone else going?

Woodford festival ready for wet weather

Woodford festival ready for wet weather - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Guest chris955

It has been raining on and off for the last 2 months, more on than off. Last night we had another huge downpour with lots more to come. We wont be sitting by the pool anytime soon.

Hi, We are going back home after 3 months.weather has been good but thats only positive.We are both incredibly homesick but cant put a finger on why.OH had no luck ,apart from back breaking removal work,with job hunting and feels that they were taking the michael.I think 23 years engineering fitting at the highest levels should count but he got knockbacks for "tickets" he didnt have which are not issued in UK and seem absurd and petty.The rental was on a busy street which was incredibly noisy with hoons regularly driving at full pelt.No wonder it was so cheap for a big house!!!.most aussies are nice people tho but bad news from UK family swung our decision.We will be skint for years probably but will at least be near friends and family:biggrin:

Hi Janey

Fully understand your situation. I remember you talking about moving to Townsville as I was planning our return.

We lived in Kirwan for 2 years and your quite right about the hoons, our house backed on to Kern Brother Drive which can be especially noisy.

We are happy to be home and both of us have managed to find work, so good luck with the move back.

Guest Janey66
Hi Janey

Fully understand your situation. I remember you talking about moving to Townsville as I was planning our return.

We lived in Kirwan for 2 years and your quite right about the hoons, our house backed on to Kern Brother Drive which can be especially noisy.

We are happy to be home and both of us have managed to find work, so good luck with the move back.

Hi,Thanks for that reply .All our friends cant wait to see us again and that makes us not feel so much like whingers and weak minded.I think the power of friends and family is always hard to ignore and rarely mentioned,especially as this was our last chance for moving to oz.

Guest chris955

Don't for one second feel like you are either a whinger or weak minded, it hasn't worked out for you and you are in the same position as many others and there is no shame in that.

Hi,Thanks for that reply .All our friends cant wait to see us again and that makes us not feel so much like whingers and weak minded.I think the power of friends and family is always hard to ignore and rarely mentioned,especially as this was our last chance for moving to oz.

Guest guest32776
Hi Janey

I can't blame you for wanting to get out of Townsville. I had the misfortune of having to live there for a year whilst at JCU. The cattle ship was heart breaking- shipping those poor beasts up to Asia for live slaughter. The whole place is pretty feral, in my opinion, (apologies to all those who love the place) ....Even most of the locals seemed to be there as they had to be rather than through choice. Stockland was probably the most depressing shopping centre I've ever seen and the town centre of a few , mainly boarded up , shops was bleak in the extreme...

Archived