Why are you going ?

Guest chris955

Guest chris955

Lots of people seem to have made the decision to return to the UK or indeed whatever other country they left. I was wondering what are the reasons ? I ask because there seems to be many different reasons behind the move, for us it really isn't anything to do with not liking this country because although there are many things we dislike here it has come down to what the UK will give us. Whichever country we are in we dislike crime and idiots on the road and costs going up etc. I have always disliked the isolation in this country, something that is seen as a positive by others and love the feeling of being in amongst it in the UK. We don't have a better life here although obviously others do and our kids will have whatever future they choose to chase.

I'm just interested in what made others choose what they have, this isn't a whinge thread, just genuine reasons.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Working to fish
Lots of people seem to have made the decision to return to the UK or indeed whatever other country they left. I was wondering what are the reasons ? I ask because there seems to be many different reasons behind the move, for us it really isn't anything to do with not liking this country because although there are many things we dislike here it has come down to what the UK will give us. Whichever country we are in we dislike crime and idiots on the road and costs going up etc. I have always disliked the isolation in this country, something that is seen as a positive by others and love the feeling of being in amongst it in the UK. We don't have a better life here although obviously others do and our kids will have whatever future they choose to chase.

I'm just interested in what made others choose what they have, this isn't a whinge thread, just genuine reasons.

on a good note ,no bush turkeys in uk ,so all good .

Guest Working to fish
Well I suppose they do live in the bush :biggrin:

And for me ,there still a pain in the ass when in the bush :yes:

3 of the familys i know who returned to the UK this last 12 months did so for family reasons,, be it sick parents or just missing people too much. I did feel for them as they had tried so hard to settle.

A family i know who returned 2 years ago did so as their house in the UK theyd rented out was trashed and turned into a drug growing farm.

The only other family i know who returned to the UK (and slagged everything Australian off whilst doing so) have ever so quietly now returned to Oz, not just Oz but the same state ,lol

Cal x

Guest Working to fish
3 of the familys i know who returned to the UK this last 12 months did so for family reasons,, be it sick parents or just missing people too much. I did feel for them as they had tried so hard to settle.

A family i know who returned 2 years ago did so as their house in the UK theyd rented out was trashed and turned into a drug growing farm.

The only other family i know who returned to the UK (and slagged everything Australian off whilst doing so) have ever so quietly now returned to Oz, not just Oz but the same state ,lol

Cal x

:wink: your Tops Cal ,thanks for all you have done for me and family .

Hope Tina is happy with what i have done this arvo ,what with me washing and sorting the house ect. Best get off here and do some more .

Chris

We are heading back for many reasons, like many people family is a big one. Also there is only me working here and its been tough. My husband has a job lined up in the UK and I have interviews for when I get back. Our daughter misses family sooo much that I had to drag here back to oz when we visited the UK at easter. I know things are tough at home but we can't go on as we are here, I do like oz have made many friends but for now the UK is where we need to be.

Guest Working to fish
Name names!:biglaugh:

Lets have a game ,can i start with sir name :wink:

bet i could get it in no time :eek:

That bloody mr Luvpants is a wind up ant he ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My desire to go and live in UK is more to do with my sense of belonging - I am here at the moment and I belong here full stop. My DH has been commenting on how good I look in the pictures I send him - yup, I am happy, totally, fantastically happy (drive around with a big grin on my face even in traffic jams) and he just doesnt "get it". There is so much to do and see, the people I have met have been fabulous - friendly, chatty, funny, helpful and downright "nice". I could live in pretty much any of the places I have visited this trip (ahem, not Bradford or Burnley though) and have been gobsmacked at the beauty of autumn here - arrived just in time for the leaves to change and what an amazing palette of colours.

Sure, I have elderly parents who arent in the best of health and it would be brilliant to be here for them as I am an only child. I also have a son here and it would be wonderful to be here for him too and to share in his big life events (that's why I am here this time of course) but I also have a son in Aus and it would be a wrench to leave him and his kid(s) but I could do it, would do it in a heartbeat - my life here is a whole life and not some pastiche. I dont know if it is an age thing or a contempt of the familiarity of Australia - if I hadnt been there for so long and was still in the first 10 years of "gee this is an adventure", would I still feel the same way? No idea. I do know that this is where I want to be for the rest of my life.

Guest Working to fish
its aldo isn't it? :)

no that old tosser is in north Brizzy ,saying he is a costa,del,sol bady :wink:

When we fishing then gay boy .

Guest chris955

Yes I understand what you are saying, when I was in the UK recently I felt the same, it just felt right. As you say people were friendly and helpful, I almost expected people to be miserable but I didn't find it all. Our reasons for going are business related but the things you mention are also very important factors.

My desire to go and live in UK is more to do with my sense of belonging - I am here at the moment and I belong here full stop. My DH has been commenting on how good I look in the pictures I send him - yup, I am happy, totally, fantastically happy (drive around with a big grin on my face even in traffic jams) and he just doesnt "get it". There is so much to do and see, the people I have met have been fabulous - friendly, chatty, funny, helpful and downright "nice". I could live in pretty much any of the places I have visited this trip (ahem, not Bradford or Burnley though) and have been gobsmacked at the beauty of autumn here - arrived just in time for the leaves to change and what an amazing palette of colours.

Sure, I have elderly parents who arent in the best of health and it would be brilliant to be here for them as I am an only child. I also have a son here and it would be wonderful to be here for him too and to share in his big life events (that's why I am here this time of course) but I also have a son in Aus and it would be a wrench to leave him and his kid(s) but I could do it, would do it in a heartbeat - my life here is a whole life and not some pastiche. I dont know if it is an age thing or a contempt of the familiarity of Australia - if I hadnt been there for so long and was still in the first 10 years of "gee this is an adventure", would I still feel the same way? No idea. I do know that this is where I want to be for the rest of my life.

Chris

We are heading back for many reasons, like many people family is a big one. Also there is only me working here and its been tough. My husband has a job lined up in the UK and I have interviews for when I get back. Our daughter misses family sooo much that I had to drag here back to oz when we visited the UK at easter. I know things are tough at home but we can't go on as we are here, I do like oz have made many friends but for now the UK is where we need to be.

Your reasons sound very much like our families reasons. I have twin daughters who are almost 17, and have not really settled since day 1 over 2 years ago, my OH is now out of work, and we keep getting lots of eastern promises about jobs but none ever materialize. I am working, but we can't survive on just my wage here.

So D Day for us is this Tuesday, if no job offers come through, then we will be moving back to Canada.

I for one don't hate Australia, but in my hearts of heart will be glad to go to a place that I have called Home for the past 27 years... Canada. Also the cost of living is lower in Canada, and if we need to we can live off one wage. I am just awaiting an email from my old boss on a job offer.

Cheers

Karen

I Agree with your sentiments, there are plenty of positives to Australia, however there are some massive draw backs. The main one for me is also the isoloation the infrastructure of it is massively backward. and while i never thought I would say it, the fact that the UK is so small in comparrision actually proves more beneficial to a cost effective and well maintained (and connected) lifestyle.

For me i personally think that Australia is offensively over priced and the only major redeeming feature can be the weather, which is just not enough for a lifetime commitment. Every day there a new frustration with what could be a bigger and better UK, but i am doubtful if it will ever get there! I will always however be very happy to come back for a holiday!

no that old tosser is in north Brizzy ,saying he is a costa,del,sol bady :wink:

When we fishing then gay boy .

as soon as you finish my boat ya muppet, come on chop chop!! any way cant talk, off camping with my new camping gear (for some reason cant do smilies - just updateded adblock??)

Your reasons sound very much like our families reasons. I have twin daughters who are almost 17, and have not really settled since day 1 over 2 years ago, my OH is now out of work, and we keep getting lots of eastern promises about jobs but none ever materialize. I am working, but we can't survive on just my wage here.

So D Day for us is this Tuesday, if no job offers come through, then we will be moving back to Canada.

I for one don't hate Australia, but in my hearts of heart will be glad to go to a place that I have called Home for the past 27 years... Canada. Also the cost of living is lower in Canada, and if we need to we can live off one wage. I am just awaiting an email from my old boss on a job offer.

Cheers

Karen

We certainly sound very similiar and I know you can only go on for so long before you have to make a decision. We have not taken the decision lightly as all the hard work to get here and try to settle but its the right thing for us to do. So good luck with whatever happens and keep us informed. We fly out on the 18th November!!!

I came back for my daughters' education. We thought we'd made a good choice for them in Sydney, but we were wrong. They were so unhappy and when the middle one came home for the fourth time crying and pleading with us not to send her back there this year, we knew we had to do something. She'd always loved school and always gives 100% to her work, but she was becoming bored and losing the joy she had before.

We looked at other schools, but were worried because the school they were at had been recommended by so many people and we knew that if we got it wrong again, we'd be stuck because of the age of our oldest daughter. She'd missed the first term of her gcse courses in the UK, so if we hadn't returned at Christmas last year it would have been too late for her to catch up.

We contacted their school here and they started back in January and seem to have caught up ok. They all slotted back in as though they'd never been away and are all very happy again. We've just had the eldest's predicted grades and it seems we made the right decision, even though it means living in the opposite hemisphere from my oh. We felt that we'd invested too much in the girls' education to mess it up near the end - it's too important to us.

That said, if they'd all been a couple of years younger when we moved, we'd have definitely tried another school. We just didn't have the luxury of time.

I agree with most of the above , we moved out searching for this .... " better life" only to get here and realise we did have a fab life in the UK !! Yes Australia has the sun but jeez its expensive, It is a lonely place without family.... so for that reason and my childrens happiness i am returning next year to be with family and allow my children to have the close relationship with their grandparents as i did and have such fond happy memories of this . Memories are irreplacable and i want them to have them with family !!:daydreaming:

Guest zoefitton

I dont think many can argue with that. I know worsley its a nice part of the world have a few family folk just down the road myself.

Archived