Why are you going ?

Guest chris955

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest36187

We always came with the notion that we would give it 2 years whatever, whether it was crap or not, we would see out the 2 years.

2 weeks in , we looked at each other and knew it was right.

Mark went back in Feb this year to see his brother who has cancer. I didnt go as I had to stay and work.

I actually have no desire to go back at all. I do miss people but I have more extended family out here....some of whom I am still to meet!!!

Lifes good for us here. We still drive around and smile to ourselves and think....we live here. there are good and bad points but for us good far outweigh the bad x

Guest physioinoz

Hi Chris 955

Ive just stumbled across this forum and joined and Im so glad this forum exists!!! I am a 29 yr old and have lived in Melbourne for almost 4 years. At the moment I am struggling with a decision whether to stay or go. On the outside my life looks enviable to people back home in the UK. I am a resident in Oz, have a career which pays well, a boyfriend, a pet dog, a social network and obviously the weather is great (more often than not!). And i find the aussie people to be lovely!!! I have had no trouble building up friendships. I dont hate anything about Australia (i know its more liveable than the uk).

The first 2 and a half years were a blast and i could not of been happier and i was constantly saying to myself 'omg i live in Australia! I did it all by myself' and i felt so proud of myself and lucky to have the opportunities i have. However, for some reason the last year (particularly the last 6 months) have been really hard mentally. For no reason really. Nothing has changed in my life but I just have this constant overwhelming desire to go home to the UK all the time. I find no one understands and if i talk to friends and family back home they say things like 'dont come back here the weather is crap, this country is **** etc etc'. It makes me so mad!

I guess my only explanation for wanting to go back is my heart still lies at home and even though i look settled on the outside I am actually not feeling settled. I can't commit to buying a car or a house (or even a large bumper bottle of dishwashing liquid in coles!). I have this constant thought of feeling like i won't stay forever.

I find im thinking about it all the time, constantly looking at flight prices, moving companies and jobs back home. Its driving me (and my boyfriend) crazy.

SO i guess to answer your question of why, is just not feeling like its 'home'. Home is where the heart is. Im nervous il get home and want to come straight back though!

Not sure when il move back but i definately will.

hope you found that post useful!!!

Guest chris955

Thanks for that, it's almost impossible to quantify and even harder to explain to others. When I was in England recently I had a few people TELL me that Australia had to be better than the UK, after all the weather is better. Look at my situation, I grew up here from the age of 18 months but have lived in England a couple of times for a few years at a time. I support England always in sport, I love England and after visiting again know it is where I should be. Add to that my wife of 26 years has NEVER wanted to live here it makes it an easy decision. The things we are into are there and it is a lovely place to live.

Hi there great post, you hit the nail on the head with some of the points like home is where the heart is, we have been here a short time compared and feel a little different about it, but we will be so so pleased to get back home... which happens to be in 4 days time!!!:biggrin:

I'm fairly sure we will land and think omg look at the weather, but i will look far beyond that and see the life there...

We just bought a few extra cases to take, and my youngest (only 3) has packed his stuff and keeps walking around the house pulling his case along, he thinks were on our way in the morning. guess he cant wait either..

Good luck, all the best in your next step....

Guest chris955

You wouldn't be human if you didn't react to a cold wet day if that is what it is like when you arrive home but as you say reality soon kicks in and you remember why you are there. Good luck back home.

Personally I think you need a holiday back here...I am not saying this because England is bad my all means but because you seem quite happy our there.(on paper)..at least going back you may find you love it and cant wait to get back but you also might hate it after 3 days here...If you love it all good come home.

I am a returnee and loving it so dont think I am trying to dissuade you because I am so glad I came home I love my life back in England and hand on heart I am glad we made the decision to return apart from the weather I miss nothing....and the weather is now not the most important thing in my life. Being here in England...being me...being with my family...being with my friends is much more important and the same might be for you, but you dont seem to be that unhappy and from what I read might just want a UK fix!!

Good luck x

Cant wait to get home.... we can safely say we will be glad to be back in England, and that i doubt very much we will ever return here, we have enjoyed it, and we now have a better understanding as to what life is about for us, but this place has nothing for us, the weather and beaches were nice...

Guest GillianM

Hi Spenny, hope you all have a safe journey home and have a white Xmas lol we wont be too far behind you, January 18th, looking forward to it.

Gillian

Hey Spenny,

Just wanted to wish you a safe flight for tomorrow.... you must be getting so excited now !!

We fly out on the 2nd December back to Canada, looking forward to it now !!

Best wishes on your return to the UK... hey just think we will all be back in time for a proper xmas this year... can't wait.

Cheers

Karen

Guest mozziebite

Hi Chris - we returned home because of unhappy kids (never settled) and missing family and friends like crazy....I think sometimes people make the mistake that it is Australia that's at fault - its not, and in my case it was us as family, how we felt and having the feeling something would always be missing.

Australia is beautiful, I met a lot of lovely people but to always feel on the outside looking in wasn't where I wanted to be.

It had nothing to do with money, or 'living expenses' which perhaps seem to cloud people's judgement somewhat- if you aint happy money takes second place...I would urge anyone to try living in Aus and give it a shot, it as it might work for them,as it does for so many people. After feeling down for so many months out in Oz,I feel so much better now I am home - but it was all down to me, not Australia!

Good luck to those coming home and for those in Aus and loving it - stay happy!

Hi Chris - we returned home because of unhappy kids (never settled) and missing family and friends like crazy....I think sometimes people make the mistake that it is Australia that's at fault - its not, and in my case it was us as family, how we felt and having the feeling something would always be missing.

Australia is beautiful, I met a lot of lovely people but to always feel on the outside looking in wasn't where I wanted to be.

It had nothing to do with money, or 'living expenses' which perhaps seem to cloud people's judgement somewhat- if you aint happy money takes second place...I would urge anyone to try living in Aus and give it a shot, it as it might work for them,as it does for so many people. After feeling down for so many months out in Oz,I feel so much better now I am home - but it was all down to me, not Australia!

Good luck to those coming home and for those in Aus and loving it - stay happy!

I agree with the sentiment of this post. There are many, many things I dislike about Australia and living here, but, it's not 'Australia's' fault, it's just not for me. I have been very much disappointed with Australia and the lifestyle it has afforded me, but again, it's not for me to say how Australian's should live their lives and really not for me to want them to change.

It's been a very expensive but worthwhile experience, and quite humbling to realise where you belong and where you want to be. Unfortunately for me my wife is Australian so it's not as cut and dried as it could be!

Guest mozziebite

Wow, thats quite a tricky situation to be in Christopher, do you think you will ever come back to the U.K.? Althhough I appreciate its easier said than done. You are right, it was an expensive move for us too, going there and coming back, but I wouldn't change it for anything, we had a great year in Aus, just didnt want to be there long term.

Someone commented earlier that living in Aus was one dimensional, have to strongly disagree with that one - it may feel one dimensional perhaps if you are feeling lonely, I can understand that, you have got to get out there and make an effort to experience everything and meet people and I know sometimes it's hard at first but I believe it will come in time.

When we told people in Aus we were returning home, the Aussies were the ones who listened and said you have to go where you are happiest - its the Brits who have the cold look in their eyes and have asked if we are mad ! I have been told three times I will probably regret our decision in the future - errr I don't think so, we didn't take moving back lightly. It's almost an expectation that Aus has to be better than Britain! Its all a bit strange really considering that they have lived here in the UK all their lives and 'would never move'!

If you are returning back to the U.K. be prepared for the sarky comments - its almost as though you have failed in a big way for coming home....is it just me or has anyone else experienced this??

Guest guest32776
Hi Chris 955

Ive just stumbled across this forum and joined and Im so glad this forum exists!!! I am a 29 yr old and have lived in Melbourne for almost 4 years. At the moment I am struggling with a decision whether to stay or go. On the outside my life looks enviable to people back home in the UK. I am a resident in Oz, have a career which pays well, a boyfriend, a pet dog, a social network and obviously the weather is great (more often than not!). And i find the aussie people to be lovely!!! I have had no trouble building up friendships. I dont hate anything about Australia (i know its more liveable than the uk).

The first 2 and a half years were a blast and i could not of been happier and i was constantly saying to myself 'omg i live in Australia! I did it all by myself' and i felt so proud of myself and lucky to have the opportunities i have. However, for some reason the last year (particularly the last 6 months) have been really hard mentally. For no reason really. Nothing has changed in my life but I just have this constant overwhelming desire to go home to the UK all the time. I find no one understands and if i talk to friends and family back home they say things like 'dont come back here the weather is crap, this country is **** etc etc'. It makes me so mad!

I guess my only explanation for wanting to go back is my heart still lies at home and even though i look settled on the outside I am actually not feeling settled. I can't commit to buying a car or a house (or even a large bumper bottle of dishwashing liquid in coles!). I have this constant thought of feeling like i won't stay forever.

I find im thinking about it all the time, constantly looking at flight prices, moving companies and jobs back home. Its driving me (and my boyfriend) crazy.

SO i guess to answer your question of why, is just not feeling like its 'home'. Home is where the heart is. Im nervous il get home and want to come straight back though!

Ha ha, I like the idea you can't commit to buying a large bumper bottle of washing up liquid - I feel exactly the same. My OH and I have lived in several places in Oz doing little jobs and some study - luckily we have an income from our rented properties in the UK - and after 3 years just feel as though we are living in a bit of a vacuum. In Cairns the environment is pretty, lovely weather and wildlife but when I think about getting old here I get a panic sensation and my head screams....'no!!! get out of here.. there must be more to life!' We live on a yacht so we can just pack up and leave any time we want , which helps with the commitment phobia issue - our worldly belongings have been in storage down in Sydney for 2 years now and no doubt they will be shipped back (may be to France or Spain rather than the UK - without being opened! ) The ideal thing would probably be 6 months in both places - then we could get our fix of the buzz, diversity, good cuisine, architecture and culture of the UK and Europe as well as the wildlife, space and relaxation of Australia.. Unfortunately we would need another yacht!!!

Hi Chris 955

Hi,

Know exactly how you feel, been here over 5yrs and will always have some connection with OZ now, mainly because both my sons live here ,nothing I dislike that much about OZ and yes it is a better lifestyle, mainly just due to the weather though, just not where my heart lies and NOT where I want to spend the rest of my life, even if it's poor in the UK :laugh:Hoping there may be light at the end of the for us soon. Good Luck I think you will be happy once to get back!

Guest chris955

I know a lot of people seem to talk about this 'better lifestyle' but I just don't see it, not overall anyway. I can't say my family have a better lifestyle, just a different one. As you say it does seem to be because of the weather, hot equals better but of course that isn't necessarily the case.

Guest guest36187

I can see both sides of this debate. We have friends that went back afetr 20 years in Saudi and here. Family was the reason that she wanted to go but her husband is already talking about retiring back here!! He obviously wasnt as keen to go back.

We have friends here that moved here 18 months ago. They are one child in, and sorting out to build, plot and house will add up to close to a million. They are talking about going back to ireland in the future and are never say never.

We on the other hand can see ourselves old here. The hosue we are in now (Im in me 30s) is suitable to grow old in! Low set, near everything that we would need!

Horses for courses.

Cost of living has gone up here tho, big time. When we landed petrol was 88c per litre!!! Not any more!! Lol

I know a lot of people seem to talk about this 'better lifestyle' but I just don't see it, not overall anyway. I can't say my family have a better lifestyle, just a different one. As you say it does seem to be because of the weather, hot equals better but of course that isn't necessarily the case.

Yup, right on the ball there Chris! I dont see the "better" lifestyle thing either. It certainly isnt for me. Landed today after 6 weeks and already the heat is draining and it is only just 27C! I was sweating as we drove from Sydney international to domestic and even though I know I am knackered by the flight (always am) I feel somewhat enervated by the heat and all I want to do is draw the blinds and sit in a darkened room.

One other thing that struck me while I was away was how unfit I had become - part of that I am sure lies in that we have a house which is good for growing old in and I had become totally unused to stairs. Whilst the concept of a bungalow is good when you are in your 80s+ and need a downstairs bathroom, I think the lack of daily stair climbing leads to atrophy. Heck I struggled getting into the Liverpool St station loos on the first day I arrived back, I was a little old lady going up and down the stairs there. Last Tuesday when repeating the visit, I ran up the stairs (well, bounced anyway). I have lost almost half a stone while I have been away with just general getting around exercise and great food! My doctor friend tells me though that stairs are one of UK's biggest killers so probably a swings and roundabouts thing there!

Yup, right on the ball there Chris! I dont see the "better" lifestyle thing either. It certainly isnt for me. Landed today after 6 weeks and already the heat is draining and it is only just 27C! I was sweating as we drove from Sydney international to domestic and even though I know I am knackered by the flight (always am) I feel somewhat enervated by the heat and all I want to do is draw the blinds and sit in a darkened room.

One other thing that struck me while I was away was how unfit I had become - part of that I am sure lies in that we have a house which is good for growing old in and I had become totally unused to stairs. Whilst the concept of a bungalow is good when you are in your 80s+ and need a downstairs bathroom, I think the lack of daily stair climbing leads to atrophy. Heck I struggled getting into the Liverpool St station loos on the first day I arrived back, I was a little old lady going up and down the stairs there. Last Tuesday when repeating the visit, I ran up the stairs (well, bounced anyway). I have lost almost half a stone while I have been away with just general getting around exercise and great food! My doctor friend tells me though that stairs are one of UK's biggest killers so probably a swings and roundabouts thing there!

Hey Quoll glad you had a safe trip back - I guess you will adapt to the heat again. Snowing today just a light flurry for us - very pretty. Keep up that walking.

xx

Hey Quoll glad you had a safe trip back - I guess you will adapt to the heat again. Snowing today just a light flurry for us - very pretty. Keep up that walking.

xx

xx

Bit more than a light flurry here - had to keep picking ice blocks out the horses hooves at riding this morning! Still, it's sunny and sparkly - very pretty.

Glad you're back s and s Quoll. Enjoy your family festive time!

Hi Chris 955

Hi Chris

I found your post very moving. I had relocated to Aus in 2008 and stayed approx. 10 months, then returned to the U.K. Like you that whole level of committment was daunting and although I purchased a car, I wasn't convinced that Aus was the right place for me. Having returned to the U.K I felt more confident, able and in my comfort zone and felt releaved to be on familiar ground and with people who mattered. I would say that even though I was in Aus for that short period, it had a huge impact on me and I often think what if... What I would add is consider carefully what you have at present and weigh up the pros and cons with caution. I don't regret returning to the U.K, as I feel I have become stronger and more determined in the time I have been back. But equally I haven't ruled out the possibility of returning to Aus at some time in the future.

Cheers

Woz

Snow is only to be looked at in photographs. My nieces are keeping me up to date with the snow and they can have it.

We are all different and know if I wanted to return to the UK oh would say off you go here is the ticket I am not coming. :laugh:

Of course we miss our family but not enough to put up with the winter weather.

Guest chris955

And this has what to do with "Why are you going' ?

Snow is only to be looked at in photographs. My nieces are keeping me up to date with the snow and they can have it.

We are all different and know if I wanted to return to the UK oh would say off you go here is the ticket I am not coming. :laugh:

Of course we miss our family but not enough to put up with the winter weather.

Archived