Why are you going ?

Guest chris955

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Spenny,

Just wanted to wish you a safe flight for tomorrow.... you must be getting so excited now !!

We fly out on the 2nd December back to Canada, looking forward to it now !!

Best wishes on your return to the UK... hey just think we will all be back in time for a proper xmas this year... can't wait.

Cheers

Karen

Hey Karen thanks for that you must be back and loving it already, we got back in good time and we are very pleased.... only just got back on here thought i would catch up, take care Karen all the best and a very Happy Christmas:smile:

Hi Spenny, hope you all have a safe journey home and have a white Xmas lol we wont be too far behind you, January 18th, looking forward to it.

Gillian

Cheers Gillian, just got back on here, we all got back safe and well... and loving every minute new start, new house (soon!) really pleased.

Hope you are well and hope all goes well with your move!!

Happy Christmas !!

Apologies for 'hijacking' this thread, but I have been reading this thread all day, and I feel like giving all of you guys a standing ovation. :yes:

I'm an Aussie (oops don't kick me out!) but have spent my whole life wanting to live in Europe, have many friends here from England (love you Poms!) and have family living in London.

I came accross the forum while searching for overseas movers while I was looking for a mover to the Netherlands as my OH and i are moving there next year, finally taking the leap and moving out Sydney.

I have grown up my whole life here, and reading everyone's post about going back home to the UK after being here is EXACTLY how i feel, and why I want to give Europe a go.

Only been to England a couple of times as my OH is half English, but born here.

I have grown in SYdney very comfortably, have a great education, job friends, etc. However the more I travel the more of a joke I believe AUstralia is- insanely overpriced for what it is , the infrastructure is a joke, and people here aren't really that friendly- yes this coming from an Aussie, or that welcoming, I've seen it at school and uni how foreigners get treated, we're not as multiculturally accepting as the govt wants you to believe.

So I would say you're all right on the money- England is more affordable in my view and a lot more viable for a better lifestyle. I think to live in Australia well you need to have a lot of money or live in a remote area but with a good wage and be prepared to drive a hell of a lot.

Anyway thank you for sharing your experiences online, you're helping other people not just 'poms in OZ' but Aussies in OZ wanting to get the hell out of here:laugh:

As an aside, we're going to Holland because we loved Amsterdam and have breifley lived there, will go to London if it doesn't work out. OH and i work in IT and could not believe the heap of jobs in London compared to Sydney.

Good luck to you all, Merry Christmas and may you be safe and happy wherever you choose your home to be!:hug:

Apologies for 'hijacking' this thread, but I have been reading this thread all day, and I feel like giving all of you guys a standing ovation. :yes:

I'm an Aussie (oops don't kick me out!) but have spent my whole life wanting to live in Europe, have many friends here from England (love you Poms!) and have family living in London.

I came accross the forum while searching for overseas movers while I was looking for a mover to the Netherlands as my OH and i are moving there next year, finally taking the leap and moving out Sydney.

I have grown up my whole life here, and reading everyone's post about going back home to the UK after being here is EXACTLY how i feel, and why I want to give Europe a go.

I have grown in SYdney very comfortably, have a great education, job friends, etc. However the more I travel the more of a joke I believe AUstralia is- insanely overpriced for what it is , the infrastructure is a joke, and people here aren't really that friendly- yes this coming from an Aussie, or that welcoming, I've seen it at school and uni how foreigners get treated, we're not as multiculturally accepting as the govt wants you to believe.

So I would say you're all right on the money- England is more affordable in my view and a lot more viable for a better lifestyle. I think to live in Australia well you need to have a lot of money or live in a remote area but with a good wage and be prepared to drive a hell of a lot.

Anyway thank you for sharing your experiences online, you're helping other people not just 'poms in OZ' but Aussies in OZ wanting to get the hell out of here:laugh:

As an aside, we're going to Holland because we loved Amsterdam and have breifley lived there, will go to London if it doesn't work out. OH and i work in IT and could not believe the heap of jobs in London compared to Sydney.

Good luck to you all, Merry Christmas and may you be safe and happy wherever you choose your home to be!:hug:

Just like to say this poster is nothing to do with me and I don't share his or her views , either.

All the best with your move, I am sure you will have a fabulous time! There is no accounting for taste is there? I hope Europe floats your boat.

I'm not returning to the UK - quite the opposite as I'm moving to Melbourne in Feb 2011 to start a new chapter.

Most of the issues seem to surround the cost of living (I know there are a lot more so please don't flame me for this) So my question is based on this.

Is $180000 PA (roughly $150k to 155k when super and car is taken out) enough money to live in a nice house and in comfort? I know its subjective but it sure sounds like a lot of money (and when converted back to £'s it's a lot more than the average wage here!)

No show stopping doubts here at the min but it's important that I know the answer to this.

We moved back end of August-husband had a very well paid job there and we had family there. No amount of money and sunshine makes up for what Australia lacks which for us is a feeling of being in the real world. The lack of infrastructure and sheer vastness of the country has a huge effet on choice, services etc.

Watched the Royal Variety performance last night and just feel overwhelmed to be honest. We have our problems here in the UK as does everywhere but we have spirit, class & a history that is the envy of many nations. My Aussie husband and I are pleased to be home in good old Blighty.

Good luck to all

:wideeyed::unsure::skeptical:

I'm not returning to the UK - quite the opposite as I'm moving to Melbourne in Feb 2011 to start a new chapter.

Most of the issues seem to surround the cost of living (I know there are a lot more so please don't flame me for this) So my question is based on this.

Is $180000 PA (roughly $150k to 155k when super and car is taken out) enough money to live in a nice house and in comfort? I know its subjective but it sure sounds like a lot of money (and when converted back to £'s it's a lot more than the average wage here!)

No show stopping doubts here at the min but it's important that I know the answer to this.

Yup, that's a lot of money.

The average Aus wage is around the $65k mark so you will be doing very well.

Guest chris955

Well that is 3 times the median wage here so I would imagine you could live comfortably in most areas of the country.

Guest The Pom Queen
Just like to say this poster is nothing to do with me and I don't share his or her views , either.

I thought your post was very harsh.

At the end of the day there are nearly 40,000 users on the forum many users share similarities to other users, look at admins, Rob is Cerberus1 because there was already a Cerberus. The software will only pick it up when it is identical.

Guest The Pom Queen
I didn't realise there was another starlight..and no i'm not pretending to be anyone else here, just like I stated in my post, I"m Australian not a pom in oz. Just sharing an observation from reading this forum, that's all.

Don't worry about it hun, I have sent you a pm.:wubclub:

Guest chris955

Just to add to our own list of why we are going, this week discovered termites in the house for the 100th time, cars damaged by golf ball sized hail and house entrance hall and spare downstairs bedroom flooded. Other than that it's been a great week. :laugh:

Pablo, I found your smiley faces a bit rude, surely people are allowed to post an opinion-isn't what this thread is all about! M2M thanks I've replied,

Chriss- in regards to termites in houses, I'm not sure if the exterminators told you but if one house in the block has them the whole block and surrounding blocks must be fumigated too in order to get rid of them successfully.

I thought i'd post an update from a Pom in Oz friend of mine who today told me he was moving back to London after being here 2 years, as he is sick of the ridiculous rent prices in Sydney. He can get a better job in London with better pay and better rental prices.

Guest chris955

The exterminators were as much use as **** on a bull to be honest, they set up bait stations and they ignore them and head straight for the house. The nest can be 100's of metres from the house so it can be practically impossible to find and eradicate it. They don't actually do the fumigation like they do in America, they try to intercept them before they get in which is very hit and miss. They will willingly set up a perimeter all around the house or drill 100's of holes into the house slab and inject poison into the ground for several thousand dollars but having spoken to a few people it is more for the peace of mind of the home owner. I'm sick of chasing them around the house to be quite honest.

Chriss- in regards to termites in houses, I'm not sure if the exterminators told you but if one house in the block has them the whole block and surrounding blocks must be fumigated too in order to get rid of them successfully.

The exterminators were as much use as **** on a bull to be honest, they set up bait stations and they ignore them and head straight for the house. The nest can be 100's of metres from the house so it can be practically impossible to find and eradicate it. They don't actually do the fumigation like they do in America, they try to intercept them before they get in which is very hit and miss. They will willingly set up a perimeter all around the house or drill 100's of holes into the house slab and inject poison into the ground for several thousand dollars but having spoken to a few people it is more for the peace of mind of the home owner. I'm sick of chasing them around the house to be quite honest.

Gee, sounds like a nightmare. I am guessing you have got rid of all sleepers and potentially decaying wood within cooee. Hope you can find someone who will zap them good and proper!

Guest chris955

Yes it is a bit of a nightmare, we have quite literally no timber in the yard anymore. I have given up on the 'experts', now I do my own inspections and if found I get rid of them and sort out the damage. I am a cabinet maker so usually any damage done is just some materials and a few hours of my time.

This thread initially started asking why people head back to the uk so here is my reason. After the long process to obtain our visas, sell the house, pack up and leave all family and friends we headed to brisbane last september. We loved the ozzy way of life and my husband started a job on the sunshine coast, with all of us due to move up in january. Last december we got the news that you dont ever want to get so far from home when my brother was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 33. It was a total shock because we had discussed the possibility of our parents being ill but i never would have dreamt my brother would be so sick. We knew he would not have a long life so took the decision to move back to the uk in january instead of moving to the coast as i wanted to help support the whole family and not just travel back for a funeral. My brother died on nov 4 and i have not regretted our decision to come back. However our visa is validated until 2013 so i wont rule out returning to oz again. What i have taken from all that has happened is that life is not a rehersal. If you want to try living in a new country give it a go and if doesn't work out for whatever reason then dont make yourself miserable staying because it cost whatever amount of money or that people will think you have failed. It takes courage to get there and courage to return. Happy christmas everyone deffo prefered christmas shopping in shorts and flip flops!

Pablo, I found your smiley faces a bit rude, surely people are allowed to post an opinion-isn't what this thread is all about! M2M thanks I've replied,

I thought i'd post an update from a Pom in Oz friend of mine who today told me he was moving back to London after being here 2 years, as he is sick of the ridiculous rent prices in Sydney. He can get a better job in London with better pay and better rental prices.

Lets just say im dubious lately about how genuine some "new" members are,thats all,IF your gen i apologise,heres a better smiley!:wink:

Guest guest30038
if one house in the block has them the whole block and surrounding blocks must be fumigated too in order to get rid of them successfully.

That's a new one on me :huh: My next door neighbour had them.................left timber up against his wall so they bridged the termi-mesh and got in through a breather hole. Not a sign of 'em in my place, or anyone else on the block.

kev

Guest guest32776
Just to add to our own list of why we are going, this week discovered termites in the house for the 100th time, cars damaged by golf ball sized hail and house entrance hall and spare downstairs bedroom flooded. Other than that it's been a great week. :laugh:

Why didn't you erect a forcefield of positivity? I'm led to believe that will keep termites at bay AND protect you from meteorological phenomenon :biggrin: Take a long hard look mate.....

Guest siamsusie
That's a new one on me :huh: My next door neighbour had them.................left timber up against his wall so they bridged the termi-mesh and got in through a breather hole. Not a sign of 'em in my place, or anyone else on the block.

kev

Exactly.. in Karratha, they were plentiful on both sides of us, we just made sure we actively were upto date on our spraying. We also made sure we had frequent "white ant and pest reports". A Pest company purchased our home so it must have been ok pmsl xx

Archived