Why are you going ?

Guest chris955

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just returned from a visit back to Scotland and now know that is where I want to be.

I felt nothing when I flew back into Melbourne and am sitting here with the feeling that the walls are closing in on me.

Just a pity that my OH does not share the same thoughts as I do - makes me wonder how many relationships fall apart due to this.

Gill

Guest GillianM

Hi Gillian, i cant wait to go back home to Perth Scotland, how was your visit back there? i can't wait to go home...7 weeks and counting the days!

We are so fed up with the weather here even though its snowing back home but i feel more alive back home, i know people and used to everything there. Here im stuck indoors all day/night, don't know many folk and partner has car for work so stuck in all time, have'nt found a job either, i feel depressed, just wish id booked the tickets sooner!

Summer time and still not hot for this time of year, supposed to be rain for Xmas day!

Gillian

Guest annemarie and brian

Hi we are moving back on friday as we really miss family freinds and the uk,i am not saying oz is horrible because its nice but its just not for me or my family and we realised we had it better in the uk.

Oh OK, try telling my wife that being hot is better than being cold. :laugh:

I do not like it hot either or cold has to be a special temp between 18 and 28 nothing under and nothing over :laugh: did not notice the weather when I was a child but now its discussed at length in our house daily :laugh:

Guest chris955

I think all to often people think you must really dislike this country because you are leaving, for us that couldn't be further from the truth. For what we are into the UK is just better and moving interstate or waiting awhile will never change that.

Hi we are moving back on friday as we really miss family freinds and the uk,i am not saying oz is horrible because its nice but its just not for me or my family and we realised we had it better in the uk.

Guest Sam Baker

Hello

We were fortunate enough to have been able to come over for a year and see if this is somewhere we could settle on a more permanent basis. Like you, this is not intended to be a whinge.....lots of reasons to stay (people are lovely, weather fabulous etc) but we are suprised to feel so isolated - don't mean from people - but don't think you appareciate just how far Australia is from the rest of the world, until you are here.......we have also found the cost of living here more expensive than we had anticipated....all in all we have decided that for the moment we are better off in England/Europe. We have travelled extensively and wish to continue to do so (before everything seizes up with age!) and that is almost impossible when you are based in Australia, unless you have ample funds and lots of time......so for now we are heading back, glad we came and looking forward to returning one day.....our 13 year old son has had a wonderful year, a taste of adventure and hopefully a sense that it is always worth giving it a try - he can chase his dreams from anywhere in the world......

Sam

Hi Gillian, i cant wait to go back home to Perth Scotland, how was your visit back there? i can't wait to go home...7 weeks and counting the days!

We are so fed up with the weather here even though its snowing back home but i feel more alive back home, i know people and used to everything there. Here im stuck indoors all day/night, don't know many folk and partner has car for work so stuck in all time, have'nt found a job either, i feel depressed, just wish id booked the tickets sooner!

Summer time and still not hot for this time of year, supposed to be rain for Xmas day!

Gillian

Hi Gillian,

I am so jealous that you are getting to go home - one way.

I had an absolutely fabulous time back in Perth - just felt so right. It was raining nearly every day but hey, who cares....we are used to that - anyway, it has done nothing but rain here too.

I am just so p*ssed off that we missed the snow. It started the night we left and by all accounts it is still coming down.

Shopping was brilliant - the new Primark was good ....... not as good as the one in Dundee but it was shopping heaven for me.

You should have seen me in Tesco.....I stopped the whole store with my shenanigans over a box of Bold washing powder - a very big box I may add for the total sum of 5 pound. It was even worse when I spotted a LARGE box of Thorntons chocolates reduced to 6 pound. My family were mortified and all the shoppers must have thought I had escaped from Murray Royal !!!!

I understand completely about feeling alive over there. I was like a new person, back to the old me. Now that I am back here, I worry that the horrible depression will take hold again - wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Even although I work here, I still feel lonely so it must be so much harder for you.

Yes, you have uprooted yourself and your family to come to the other side of the world only to find out that it isn't right for you BUT, it was the only way to find out. No amount of questions on forums can actually prepare you for the stark reality of being away from family, friends and familiarity.

It is never a mistake, always look on it as being an experience.

I wish you all the best, and if I ever make it back to Perth I will be sure to be in touch with you

Gill

Hi Gillian,

I had an absolutely fabulous time back in Perth - just felt so right. It was raining nearly every day but hey, who cares....we are used to that - anyway, it has done nothing but rain here too.

I am just so p*ssed off that we missed the snow. It started the night we left and by all accounts it is still coming down.

Shopping was brilliant - the new Primark was good ....... not as good as the one in Dundee but it was shopping heaven for me.

You should have seen me in Tesco.....I stopped the whole store with my shenanigans over a box of Bold washing powder - a very big box I may add for the total sum of 5 pound.

Ha ha I actually laughed out loud at this....it was probably the same huge box I bought when I was shopping in Tesco the other week and I could not get over the size of it for the price,....that I even rang my mum to tell her!!

Oh and all the buy one get 2 free!!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hi Gillian,

You should have seen me in Tesco.....I stopped the whole store with my shenanigans over a box of Bold washing powder - a very big box I may add for the total sum of 5 pound.

Ha ha I actually laughed out loud at this....it was probably the same huge box I bought when I was shopping in Tesco the other week and I could not get over the size of it for the price,....that I even rang my mum to tell her!!

JUST FOR YOU, I WISH WE COULD SEND IT OVER TO YOU AND GET RID OF IT.:yes:

_50215862_menteithviewdunblane.jpg

_50220000_albrechtvolkmidlothian.jpg

Thanks Jim, they are brilliant!

I second everything that Gillian has said - the bars have slammed shut on me too for another 9 months and it is cr*p! I was wandering around Waitrose with my mouth wide open just amazed at how cheap things were and what variety!

I still didnt get to wear my new down jacket while I was there either. I bought it to take with me in Feb because everyone said I would freeze to death - I didnt, it stayed in the boot the entire time and again this time I put it in the boot when I arrived and took it out when I left last Thursday. Looks like I should have had a week longer on my holiday then it would have been christened! At least I brought the rain jacket back - been used more since I have been back than in my entire time in UK LOL who would have thought it!

Thanks Jim, they are brilliant!

I second everything that Gillian has said - the bars have slammed shut on me too for another 9 months and it is cr*p! I was wandering around Waitrose with my mouth wide open just amazed at how cheap things were and what variety!

I still didnt get to wear my new down jacket while I was there either. I bought it to take with me in Feb because everyone said I would freeze to death - I didnt, it stayed in the boot the entire time and again this time I put it in the boot when I arrived and took it out when I left last Thursday. Looks like I should have had a week longer on my holiday then it would have been christened! At least I brought the rain jacket back - been used more since I have been back than in my entire time in UK LOL who would have thought it!

You'd definitely need it now Quoll! It's absolutely FREEZING!:shocked: However, I was off out for a friend's birthday dinner last night, slipping and sliding along in the car and was thinking how much I'd still rather be here. Strange really as I hate being cold and I don't mind living in Australia. I don't really understand it!

Hi Gillian,

Ha ha! Can so relate to the above shopping experiences. When I was over in May/June this year, I was ooing and ahhhing at everything in Tesco's! The variety and the prices just amazed me AND where we will be going back to has a 24 hour Tesco! I remember shouting to my sister 'oh look! Hula Hoops !!!' .... I was stared at but who cares! I can't wait to taste proper Heinz Tomato soup and Heinz Chicken soup..... and Primark!!! I brought a whole suitcase of things back to Aus from there! Great value! okay these are not the only reasons I am going back but one of the million reasons I am going back!

Guest chris955

That's exactly how we are looking at it, the fact that so many things are so much cheaper is a big bonus but not the reason we are going.

Guest GillianM

HAHAHA! you made me laugh Gillian, im so looking forward to going shopping to Tesco and Asda and to explore in the new Primark lol

It has been an experience but Melbourne ain't for us and im not too sure if it rains more here than Scotland? Looking forward in seeing people i know and getting dressed up and ready for a night on the town lol

Gillian

JUST FOR YOU, I WISH WE COULD SEND IT OVER TO YOU AND GET RID OF IT.:yes:

_50215862_menteithviewdunblane.jpg

_50220000_albrechtvolkmidlothian.jpg

Hi Jim, beautiful pictures and yes, I know it's lovely to look at but a completely different picture when you have to live with it.

We took my sons friend back with us - never been to Europe before and all he wanted to see was the snow - we went to Loch Ness up the A9 and there was plenty snow on the hills but he was so dissapointed to have missed real snow falling. If we had stayed another day, he would have experienced all the mayhem and we would have been snowed in and unable to return to Australia:biglaugh::yes:

Gill

Gillian

We always said if we were going back we'd move to Perth. Originally from Glasgow, so it's just up the road really. Hope all goes well

Guest christi
Hi Gillian,

My friends back home are all fighting over coming to the supermarket with me. They are saying , they wouldent miss seeing me, like a deranged madwoman, going crazy., over the simpliest things.I can not imagine how much a shop is going to cost, I think I will need about 5 trolleys, and will probaly have opened most food packets and had a huge bite, before I even get to the tills

My Goodness how I have missed my shopping, from food to clothes, smellies and yes, like you, even washing powder.

Cant wait to hit Primark as well,,,,going to throw all my clothes out before I l;eave here, and go crazy, when we get home

I did not realise how much I could miss, the stuff I took for granted, when I was at home.

Roll on 2011 :biggrin:

Quick summary:

1) Family. Fair enough but this was a given when the move was agreed/decision made

2) Friends. Same as above

3) Aldi. I think that Aldi is represented here? Not the best shopping experience...

4) Washing powder jumbo packs ... Really?

5) Cost of living. This is the first valid reason. However, we moved from Europe (CH) to Melbourne a year ago, and have lived in several European countries before that. It is only too tempting and easy to do the FOREX when comparing prices. Irrelevant if the salary is payed in the local currency. Better to calculate ratio of price to monthly pay after tax. If this is done, then cost in AUD is the same as in most European countries maybe except for house prices --but then that is a bubble soon to burst here. Rent is about the same. Energy costs are similar, but consumption is lower because there is not the same need to heat the houses.

A thought: maybe the mismatch is in expectations.

For me, Australia is not at all the way I imagined it to be.

Work is still work, and If one does 10 hour days then the beaches (and there are plenty of them long and wonderful and empty) are far away.

The thing that would make me move back: Australians are in love with meetings and spent half their working time like that .... No decisions, only talk.

No,

Here on a 457, four years total 3 to go possible 2 year extension

Enjoying our time here

Vic market

The rain in Melbourne ... Uuhhmmm

Tasmania

Hamilton Island

Byron Bay

Perth

.... What not

Will be nice to go back at some point though. Australia still feels very far away from the rest of the world, for good and bad. And we are still not used to the distances ... It's huge!

Having moved countries a few times, my advice is when in a new place do as the locals do. Don't look for the old, enjoy the new.

Quick summary:

1) Family. Fair enough but this was a given when the move was agreed/decision made

2) Friends. Same as above

3) Aldi. I think that Aldi is represented here? Not the best shopping experience...

4) Washing powder jumbo packs ... Really?

5) Cost of living. This is the first valid reason. However, we moved from Europe (CH) to Melbourne a year ago, and have lived in several European countries before that. It is only too tempting and easy to do the FOREX when comparing prices. Irrelevant if the salary is payed in the local currency. Better to calculate ratio of price to monthly pay after tax. If this is done, then cost in AUD is the same as in most European countries maybe except for house prices --but then that is a bubble soon to burst here. Rent is about the same. Energy costs are similar, but consumption is lower because there is not the same need to heat the houses.

A thought: maybe the mismatch is in expectations.

For me, Australia is not at all the way I imagined it to be.

Work is still work, and If one does 10 hour days then the beaches (and there are plenty of them long and wonderful and empty) are far away.

The thing that would make me move back: Australians are in love with meetings and spent half their working time like that .... No decisions, only talk.

Meetings, agree with you there. Be alright if anything ever got solved but no it doesn't. :laugh:

Archived