How do you cope with Christmas ?

Guest christi

Guest funkymonkey
I try and stay clear from the flag bearing groups. Bit like staying away from the 18-30 crowds when we used to go to Spain. I know that's one of the things that gets on Aussies nerves (and mine too) and I can see why. If England is so crash hot why come over here and wave the Union Jack or George Cross or whatever other national flag you choose.

Australia has been kind enough to accept us as citizens, we aren't going to go out of our way to advertise the fact we are British and get peoples backs up. My kids would be embarrassed too.

:confused:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest26012
Funny that because i know "heaps " of Aussies and none of them do that type of thing for Christmas...I reckon you've been watching too much Jackanory!!

Only expats go to the beach on Christmas Day because they are the sad one's without any family to spend the day with!!

Just an observation.....

I know "heaps of ozzies " and thats what they do on xmas day!!! Jackanory! Lol! What a load of rubbish! Where is your info coming from about only expats going to the beach on xmas day!!!! You are seriously misinformed! We have gone to the beach on xmas day since we came here! Its full of ozzies with their xmas hats on and wishing everyone merry xmas! How dare you say that its full of expats because they havent got any family to spend the day with! Lots of expats just join in with the ozzie tradition of going to the beach! Its an ozzie thing and its great to take part in it!!!! :arghh:

Guest Guest26012
So you reckon that lots of Aussies go to the beach in Perth on Christmas Day with Australian flags??...hmmmm

Maybe they are wannabee Aussies, what flag do you take?

I'm sure you go to the beach on Christmas Day..your an expat and live within walking distance, why wouldn't you??

You are totally weird! Troll comes to mind!!!!:wacko:

I agree with this! Christmas in Oz is one of the few things on the negative list about us moving down under... but I will enjoy it whatever we do (when we get there!) in what ever style we create. Michael and I will just have to create a way of celebrating it that suits us!!! Though I expect that first one I will be as homesick as f**k.... though I bitch about having to spend it with the family every year!!!

I like parleycross statement on many levels and I believe it can be applied to most things in life!!! Infact I feel a signature coming on if parley doesnt mind!!

Kevin

Hiya,

Just thought I would say Hi as we are from Worthing just down the road! Really looking to meet people that are moving to Oz as it's really hard to talk to any of our friends about it as most of them are very negative. Wherabouts are you planning to go & where are you in the visa process? We're just starting out - but finally after talking about it for years!

As for the topic I can see why people would miss an English Xmas, but I would like to think that we will make the best of it and embrace our new life! For the better life we have to accept that things are going to be different. We've actually often talked about getting away at xmas anyway but our family's would be upset so we will get our way lol I'm sure we will miss them but I guess getting together with friends is the best thing to do! Which by the way we don't get to do much here as everyone is trying to fit in all their families! lol

Cara :smile:

Hiya,

Just thought I would say Hi as we are from Worthing just down the road! Really looking to meet people that are moving to Oz as it's really hard to talk to any of our friends about it as most of them are very negative. Wherabouts are you planning to go & where are you in the visa process? We're just starting out - but finally after talking about it for years!

As for the topic I can see why people would miss an English Xmas, but I would like to think that we will make the best of it and embrace our new life! For the better life we have to accept that things are going to be different. We've actually often talked about getting away at xmas anyway but our family's would be upset so we will get our way lol I'm sure we will miss them but I guess getting together with friends is the best thing to do! Which by the way we don't get to do much here as everyone is trying to fit in all their families! lol

Hi Cara

keep an eye on the upcoming events on the forum for meets in your area to meet up with others going through the same thing.

We have met some fab people that way and its nice to put faces to names too.

Sue x

Guest TA01085

I agree, initially the novelty of a hot christmas by the pool is great ....for the first couple of years ...then you realise that "its just not Christmas" and you actually realise that Christmas is all about the "traditional Christmas", i.e. Cold weather, Snow, mulled wine, log fires. We no longer bother with it here, not decs or lights outside, its just a normal day.... how sad !!!!

I agree, initially the novelty of a hot christmas by the pool is great ....for the first couple of years ...then you realise that "its just not Christmas" and you actually realise that Christmas is all about the "traditional Christmas", i.e. Cold weather, Snow, mulled wine, log fires. We no longer bother with it here, not decs or lights outside, its just a normal day.... how sad !!!!

oooh mulled wine...yum! :yes:

Sue x

Guest guest36187

A hot christmas is not right! It just aint right!

(Ask me again after I spend Christmas swimming in Mum and Dads pool this year!)

I much prefer a cold Christmas, dark nights, hot Christmas dinners.....................

Hi Cara

keep an eye on the upcoming events on the forum for meets in your area to meet up with others going through the same thing.

We have met some fab people that way and its nice to put faces to names too.

Sue x

Yeah, will do, thanks. Would be lovely to meet up with people in the same position!

Spare a thought for us, a South African family, living in the UK. Although I do enjoy the big turkeys and the cranberry sauce and all that stuff I just hate the cold!!

We were used to Christmas with our family in South Africa who has a house by the beach. On Christmas day we usually eat outside and the kids can play with their new toys outdoors. Then late afternoon we go for sundowners on the beach.

Since moving to the UK we have been trying to enjoy Christmas - first year we went to Disney Paris and froze our b&ts off, second year we had an aunt over and had it in our tiny house which was a depressing affair, third year was the best as we went back home and had Christmas in the sunshine with our family!!

This year we are on our own again and I am truly trying to psyche myself into enjoying it, but its just sooooo cold, and our house is sooooo small and we are sooooo alone!!

So you see if you're an expat and you've done things the same way since forever its really hard to change...:rolleyes:

Spare a thought for us, a South African family, living in the UK. Although I do enjoy the big turkeys and the cranberry sauce and all that stuff I just hate the cold!!

We were used to Christmas with our family in South Africa who has a house by the beach. On Christmas day we usually eat outside and the kids can play with their new toys outdoors. Then late afternoon we go for sundowners on the beach.

Since moving to the UK we have been trying to enjoy Christmas - first year we went to Disney Paris and froze our b&ts off, second year we had an aunt over and had it in our tiny house which was a depressing affair, third year was the best as we went back home and had Christmas in the sunshine with our family!!

This year we are on our own again and I am truly trying to psyche myself into enjoying it, but its just sooooo cold, and our house is sooooo small and we are sooooo alone!!

So you see if you're an expat and you've done things the same way since forever its really hard to change...:rolleyes:

I think christmas is the one time of the year when most familys get together which makes it more of a speical time, so maybe its not the place that gives you that feeling of a special time but your family, and for us being here obviously that is lacking and will never feel the same as it did prior to coming here, no matter how hard we try.

What's a South African family, living in the UK doing on PIO? Are you thinking of coming over? Perth would suite you just fine I reckon. There are loads of South Africans here and they seem to settle in really well. Probably better than a lot of poms.

I don't miss dragging the children away from their gifts and chillin because we have 2 lots of family to fit in who live over an hour away ... Christmas day never felt like it was ours ... now it does!

Since both my parents died, my Christmasses have been playing Taxi so that we can all go over the in laws for the day which was spent with about 15 of us perched on chairs squashed arround the dinner tables and squashed into the living room where only 5 could sit comfortably, while I watched everyone get inibriated and where I was the one that inevetably ended up looking after the kids. So this year as neither of us have our parents we can have a lovely family day and do what we want to do.........................bliss:wubclub::wubclub::wubclub:

I love christmas here. We get up pretty early, open presents, head down the beach where we meet up with a load of friends, sit around and drink some champagne or beer, go for a couple of swims to get rid of the previous nights big dinner. We started having Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve then we can please ourselves what we do and when we do it on Christmas Day. So much more relaxing.

It might sound selfish but I reckon it's great not having rellies here and thinking "we have to be at Aunty Dot's at 3 and then visit grandma so she can see the kids at 4....." or something like that. I feel truly relaxed and it's a real break.

We usually head back home when the sea breeze gets up and throw a load of prawns on the barbie. Sometimes a few friends come round or we go to a mates place with a pool. It help being walking distance from the beach then you don't have to worry about drinking and driving.

Sounds really Australian doesn't it but that is what we came for!!

I don't try and fight the feeling of "it should be cold at christmas", I've always loathed Christmas shopping, all the stores packed and expensive but at least we don't have to contend with the cold as well.

I remember Christmases in the UK revolving around eating, drinking, and watching TV (and the bit about having to go places you really didn't want to go) and generally keeping out of the cold. The snow looks OK on postcards and doesn't take long to turn to grey slush around the sides of the road. Usually managed to put a couple of Kilos on without trying.

Thanks for the tip that sounds a bloomin good idea, I think we will try that :wubclub:

There is only one thing I miss here is the Christmas carols. Apart from that we have a Christmas just like the UK, we have our traditional lunch, sometimes off to the beach for a swim, we have our friends & family around. Last year I played a recording of carols from Kings college the year before.

We have Christmas eve carols here on the tv So after a few years you won't notice any difference, except the damn cold!

There is only one thing I miss here is the Christmas carols. Apart from that we have a Christmas just like the UK, we have our traditional lunch, sometimes off to the beach for a swim, we have our friends & family around. Last year I played a recording of carols from Kings college the year before.

We have Christmas eve carols here on the tv So after a few years you won't notice any difference, except the damn cold!

There are a lot of places that do carols by candlelight here - people take a picnic - it's a lovely evening

A hot christmas is not right! It just aint right!

(Ask me again after I spend Christmas swimming in Mum and Dads pool this year!)

I much prefer a cold Christmas, dark nights, hot Christmas dinners.....................

That's why you get on well with my OH - although he's even helped with the christmas shopping this year

Guest siamsusie
I don't think you should have to justify to anyone that you're telling the truth Paul. The fact is you go to the beach on Christmas morning and so do some Aussies. Why do people have to assume you're telling tall stories? :sad:

Couldnt agree more Sue...

I can do Christmas more or less anywhere, I love the real trees, lights etc

Christmas for my husband and family (Aussie style) has always been one of fishing, cricket on the beach,partying on the beach and meeting up with friends... all Aussies but anyone welcome. Gorgeous mouth watering sea food...:tongue:

Last year we drove upto Broome stopping off at 80 mile beach for a new nights en route and we had a great time fishing and camping.

The only thing that marred it for me was my own children werent there so this year we have a snowy Christmas with my kids in S Korea.

:hug:Susie

Guest siamsusie
LOVE Your Avatar Susie................made me :)

Thank you Loja, and for that lovely remark I am sending you a crate of pumpkins:laugh:

:hug:only joking xx

Archived