How do you cope with Christmas ?

Guest christi

Its nearly that time of year again, the overpriced biscuits and sweets are starting to appear in the supermarket.

For those of us, returning home, in the near future its a hard time of year. Being away from everything I used to love about Christmas in the UK. Dark nights, fairy lights, The Round Table santa coming around the streets.Great pressies in the shops and fantastic Boxing Day sales. The food,Turkey & Ham that hasent been smoked to death,Prawns that dont require a second mortgage to buy

But mainly its the loneliness, we probably bring it on ourselves, because we just want to shut the door and hide away, and forget its Christmas.

How does everyone cope, with missing a UK Christmas????

Im just glad its the last one for us:confused:Well I hope it is

All sounds very familiar, I am dreading Xmas, I used to get very excited (45 years of age haha) about xmas in the UK, more for the kids than anything, used to get a lovely warm and fuzzy feeling :biggrin: but certainly not here. We forced ourselves to get "into the spirit" last year, we took the kids to see a christmas carol at the cinema, went to a lovely church christmassy event, and the actual day went well, but it will never be the same!! And I miss my real tree!

Sally

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest christi
All sounds very familiar, I am dreading Xmas, I used to get very excited (45 years of age haha) about xmas in the UK, more for the kids than anything, used to get a lovely warm and fuzzy feeling :biggrin: but certainly not here. We forced ourselves to get "into the spirit" last year, we took the kids to see a christmas carol at the cinema, went to a lovely church christmassy event, and the actual day went well, but it will never be the same!! And I miss my real tree!

Sally

Hi Sally

You sound like me, so much.I used to love Christmas back home, Here we dont even put a tree up. We did the first year, but we were more down in the dumps than ever, thinking about our Christmas back home.

So for the last 2 years, we havent bothered and dont think we will this year either

This should be our last Christmas here, so I reckon we will cope a lot better knowing that

x

ps; know Hemel Hempstead very well,,,,used to live there , what a small world

PM, me anytime xx

Guest BrightonBoys
Agree with the comments that Christmas is what you make it.

If you are determined not to enjoy it you won't simple as that.

I agree with this! Christmas in Oz is one of the few things on the negative list about us moving down under... but I will enjoy it whatever we do (when we get there!) in what ever style we create. Michael and I will just have to create a way of celebrating it that suits us!!! Though I expect that first one I will be as homesick as f**k.... though I bitch about having to spend it with the family every year!!!

I like parleycross statement on many levels and I believe it can be applied to most things in life!!! Infact I feel a signature coming on if parley doesnt mind!!

Kevin

Guest Caitmelbourne

This will be my first Xmas in Australia & I'm really looking forward to it! I always have a stonking cold on Xmas day so hopefully this year will be different.

I'll miss the build up for sure....atmosphere in the office, German Markets, meeting friends for mulled wine. But I'm excited about having a different Xmas experience.

I will not miss the mad packed train journey from London-Newcastle on Xmas eve, or crazy busy Oxford Street. I'll miss my mums stocking though (even though I'm 29) & feel a little guilty that I won't be there for dinner, I know she'll miss me. Skype will be playing a huge part!

I've had some lovely offers from Aussie mates to join their family Xmas but I think that would just cause me to miss my own, so loose plans so far is a big boozy BBQ in the park with my other orphaned English mates :cute:

Our first Christmas here (last year) was done on a shoestring because we were still finding our feet having arrived only ten months previously.

We had a lovely day with friends where we did a Secret Santa and each family brought something different to eat and drink. We spent the day round our friends' newly installed pool and it was boiling hot.

It was a great day but obviously nothing like a family Christmas in the UK. I missed seeing family on the day - especially the younger ones - but we enjoyed the party with our friends and as we were all in the same boat (without family around us) we knew and accepted it was going to be a different sort of Christmas here.

Christmas hasn't got the same magic now our kids are older anyway. That said, I would like to spend Christmas with my family in the UK next year because we always had a lovely time together.

Sue x

Guest Guest37175
Its nearly that time of year again, the overpriced biscuits and sweets are starting to appear in the supermarket.

For those of us, returning home, in the near future its a hard time of year. Being away from everything I used to love about Christmas in the UK. Dark nights, fairy lights, The Round Table santa coming around the streets.Great pressies in the shops and fantastic Boxing Day sales. The food,Turkey & Ham that hasent been smoked to death,Prawns that dont require a second mortgage to buy

But mainly its the loneliness, we probably bring it on ourselves, because we just want to shut the door and hide away, and forget its Christmas.

How does everyone cope, with missing a UK Christmas????

Im just glad its the last one for us:confused:Well I hope it is

Vast, vast amounts of red wine.

Some judicious DVD purchases from Amazon (just don't watch 'It's A Wonderful Life' or you'll need The Samaritans before the day's out).

Planning / anticipating Christmas in the UK next year.

Guest guest36762

I'll be going off to the bog a lot to play on my ipod (real racing)

it's better than being in the same room as my sister in law (who has to be the most ****ing irritating person I've ever met), her husband, her 2 brats, MIL and FIL

I've also found that drinking helps

It was strange last year, it was our first christmas in Australia.

Walking out in the evening to look at the lights on the houses round here(some really go to town with it) felt odd with shorts on and a very warm evening.

I would go to the shops and then be reminded that it was christmas by the decorations that were up. Found it easy to forget it was christmas time.

It was cool on the day so we had a big dinner as we would have done before and as my mum was out we went for a paddle in the sea. It was a bit windy and drizzly and there was no on else there except for the surf life savers. Got one of them to take a photot of us in the sea on christmas day!

Not sure about this year, have to wait and see. We haven't got any plans as yet.

Hopefully as we know a few more people this time it will be a bit more social than the last.

I love christmas here. We get up pretty early, open presents, head down the beach where we meet up with a load of friends, sit around and drink some champagne or beer, go for a couple of swims to get rid of the previous nights big dinner. We started having Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve then we can please ourselves what we do and when we do it on Christmas Day. So much more relaxing.

It might sound selfish but I reckon it's great not having rellies here and thinking "we have to be at Aunty Dot's at 3 and then visit grandma so she can see the kids at 4....." or something like that. I feel truly relaxed and it's a real break.

We usually head back home when the sea breeze gets up and throw a load of prawns on the barbie. Sometimes a few friends come round or we go to a mates place with a pool. It help being walking distance from the beach then you don't have to worry about drinking and driving.

Sounds really Australian doesn't it but that is what we came for!!

I don't try and fight the feeling of "it should be cold at christmas", I've always loathed Christmas shopping, all the stores packed and expensive but at least we don't have to contend with the cold as well.

I remember Christmases in the UK revolving around eating, drinking, and watching TV (and the bit about having to go places you really didn't want to go) and generally keeping out of the cold. The snow looks OK on postcards and doesn't take long to turn to grey slush around the sides of the road. Usually managed to put a couple of Kilos on without trying.

Guest guest36762
I love christmas here. We get up pretty early, open presents, head down the beach where we meet up with a load of friends, sit around and drink some champagne or beer, go for a couple of swims to get rid of the previous nights big dinner. We started having Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve then we can please ourselves what we do and when we do it on Christmas Day. So much more relaxing.

It might sound selfish but I reckon it's great not having rellies here and thinking "we have to be at Aunty Dot's at 3 and then visit grandma so she can see the kids at 4....." or something like that. I feel truly relaxed and it's a real break.

We usually head back home when the sea breeze gets up and throw a load of prawns on the barbie. Sometimes a few friends come round or we go to a mates place with a pool. It help being walking distance from the beach then you don't have to worry about drinking and driving.

I don't try and fight the feeling of "it should be cold at christmas", I've always loathed Christmas shopping, all the stores packed and expensive but at least we don't have to contend with the cold as well.

I remember Christmases in the UK revolving around eating, drinking, and watching TV (and the bit about having to go places you really didn't want to go) and generally keeping out of the cold. The snow looks OK on postcards and doesn't take long to turn to grey slush around the sides of the road. Usually managed to put a couple of Kilos on without trying.

so what you're basically saying, is that Aus is brilliant and Britain is crap

I'm not disagreeing, just that's the message I get from all your posts

why don't you just have a template that you can copy and paste into every post, it'd save a lot of typing

No, as I read it he prefers it here, just as others prefer somewhere else.

Strangely enough christmas in Australia is going to be different to christmas in UK!!

Just as christmas when I lived in Africa and Asia was different and now in Oz.

Just enjoy it wherever you are, had more christmases apart from my children than together for years, but that's life.

Will be in UK for the first time in 8 years this year, perhaps post to say how I found it.

Not looking forward to the frenetic christmas rush and panic that I seem to remember, definitely prefer the more laid back approach.

I'm not disagreeing, just that's the message I get from all your posts

why don't you just have a template that you can copy and paste into every post, it'd save a lot of typing

No, I used to love Christmas in the UK too. It's a holiday, we used to go out and drink and eat a lot. It's just different. Still enjoyable though.

I used to enjoy Christmas a lot more when we were younger and go out with a few friends to pubs and nightclubs in the UK. Everyone was in a great mood, plenty of booze around, party atmosphere everywhere. Couldn't fault it at the time.

When you get older and have kids your priorities change. I'd still enjoy it in either place.

Looks like you are really looking forward to it by the way. Enjoy being stuck in the bog.

No he's not. He's saying he loves Christmas here. And he's giving his reasons.

Anyone who wants to twist that further does have a problem.

I spent my first Christmas in Australia last year and it was awful and swore I would never spend another Christmas here. I am flying home with the kids for 5 weeks over the x-mas period this year and I cannot wait to get in those packed shops, see the lights outside glistening in the frost/snow, hearing x-mas songs on the radio, eating, drinking and being merry.

Personally for me, there was no build up to Christmas here, the shops were the same, there was no buzz in the air, no xmas songs on the radio or in the shops, it was just like every other boring day here. Not for me folks!

Guest guest36762
No, I used to love Christmas in the UK too. It's a holiday, we used to go out and drink and eat a lot. It's just different. Still enjoyable though.

I used to enjoy Christmas a lot more when we were younger and go out with a few friends to pubs and nightclubs in the UK. Everyone was in a great mood, plenty of booze around, party atmosphere everywhere. Couldn't fault it at the time.

When you get older and have kids your priorities change. I'd still enjoy it in either place.

Looks like you are really looking forward to it by the way. Enjoy being stuck in the bog.

yeah thanks Paul:twitcy:

as you've jumped straight on your high horse, actually I shall enjoy it, I've got holiday betwen xmas and new year, and I'll enjoy seeing my kid's excited faces on xmas morning.

Merry Crimbo, Mate

Guest funkymonkey

Funny that because i know "heaps " of Aussies and none of them do that type of thing for Christmas...I reckon you've been watching too much Jackanory!!

Only expats go to the beach on Christmas Day because they are the sad one's without any family to spend the day with!!

Just an observation.....

Funny that because i know "heaps " of Aussies and none of them do that type of thing for Christmas...I reckon you've been watching too much Jackanory!!

Only expats go to the beach on Christmas Day because they are the sad one's without any family to spend the day with!!

Just an observation.....

Yeh! funny that 'cos the beach is packed and I know a lot of them are aussies. You can see by the flags. Have to get down there early though or you can't get a parking space. If we didn't live close and had to drive I probably wouldn't bother either. We used to have some friends come up from nearer the city (Aussies) but they don't bother now as it's too much trouble and their kids have grown up and left home.

I enjoyed christmas day in Oz but I also like it here and do prefer to be with family etc, but the only day that wasn't so good at the beach in perth was Christmas Day. We went down to Mullaloo beach on Chirstmas morning and you could hardly move for people and their flags ( a mixture of union jacks, english scottish etc), it made me cringe a bit. Our Australian friends didn't head to the beach that day it was just too crowded. Our first year back in the uk at Christmas was lovely being with our family and friends again and last year was brilliant with the snow, it was so Christmassy. I have missed Australia many times since we returned to the uk and I often dream of Mullaloo and the beach but Christmas day wasn't one of them!

Yeh! funny that 'cos the beach is packed and I know a lot of them are aussies. You can see by the flags. Have to get down there early though or you can't get a parking space. If we didn't live close and had to drive I probably wouldn't bother either. We used to have some friends come up from nearer the city (Aussies) but they don't bother now as it's too much trouble and their kids have grown up and left home.

I don't think you should have to justify to anyone that you're telling the truth Paul. The fact is you go to the beach on Christmas morning and so do some Aussies. Why do people have to assume you're telling tall stories? :sad:

Guest funkymonkey

So you reckon that lots of Aussies go to the beach in Perth on Christmas Day with Australian flags??...hmmmm

Maybe they are wannabee Aussies, what flag do you take?

I'm sure you go to the beach on Christmas Day..your an expat and live within walking distance, why wouldn't you??

Guest funkymonkey
I don't think you should have to justify to anyone that you're telling the truth Paul. The fact is you go to the beach on Christmas morning and so do some Aussies. Why do people have to assume you're telling tall stories? :sad:

Go back to sleep!

So you reckon that lots of Aussies go to the beach in Perth on Christmas Day with Australian flags??...hmmmm

Maybe they are wannabee Aussies, what flag do you take?

I'm sure you go to the beach on Christmas Day..your an expat and live within walking distance, why wouldn't you??

I try and stay clear from the flag bearing groups. Bit like staying away from the 18-30 crowds when we used to go to Spain. I know that's one of the things that gets on Aussies nerves (and mine too) and I can see why. If England is so crash hot why come over here and wave the Union Jack or George Cross or whatever other national flag you choose.

Australia has been kind enough to accept us as citizens, we aren't going to go out of our way to advertise the fact we are British and get peoples backs up. My kids would be embarrassed too.

Guest funkymonkey
Erm, I addressed my post to Paul. Are you always this polite?

It just says your mood is sleeping, so thought you should go back to sleep!!

Archived