How do you cope with Christmas ?

Guest christi

That's why you get on well with my OH - although he's even helped with the christmas shopping this year

Well your post has really stressed me out, you've started your crimbo shopping already!!!! That is so very organized, I promise myself every year I will get organized and have it all done early but I never do!! This year will be our first one in Perth and we really haven't got our heads around what we should do!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Christmas wherever I am. The first one in Aus was a bit strange because we hadn't been there long and didn't know anyone, so it was just us and our three young children. The three after that were great though and we set our own traditions. We met lots of Australian and English friends at the beach around 8am for champagne and breakfast. Home around 10 to get food prepared, then we'd all meet at someones house to share lunch (and childcare!!). It was always a great day and even though we moved back to the UK we went back at Christmas three times before going to Sydney last year.

I also love Christmas in the UK. We go over to my parents (200 miles away) every year because they have animals and it's easier for them than coming here. I've never found it a chore, even having to sneak presents into the boot of the car whilst the kids weren't watching, because we all have such a lovely time and like being together with the rest of the family. Father Christmas on the back of a tractor, smelling of beer on Christmas Eve wishing everyone a Merry Christmas! Up in the morning for present opening, friends and neighbours calling in for drinks, lunch then a long walk in the countryside around the village. Then back to watch a film by the fire.

Both are our traditions and both are as good as each other. Love it!

• 1 month later...

Well, this is the first time, in almost 12 years, I have managed to do my shopping while Christmas songs are blasting out and not be sobbing inside.. the reason? Although I will not be home in Scotland for this Christmas, I WILL BE by next Christmas, for good! Instead of feeling tearful, the excitement I felt was incredible! Woo hoo! How true is the old saying "you don't know what you've got until it's gone"?:12:

Guest christi
Well, this is the first time, in almost 12 years, I have managed to do my shopping while Christmas songs are blasting out and not be sobbing inside.. the reason? Although I will not be home in Scotland for this Christmas, I WILL BE by next Christmas, for good! Instead of feeling tearful, the excitement I felt was incredible! Woo hoo! How true is the old saying "you don't know what you've got until it's gone"?:12:

Hi Stovies

We will be home for good, by next Christmas, as well. Know exactly what you mean. Although I havent managed to do any Christmas shopping, here yet. It just doesant feel right. They might well get a White Christmas in the UK again, this year. That makes me feel even worse being here. But this is the last one here, and Im so excited,I never knew I could miss anything this much!!!!!!.Its a great feeling,to be going home,Ive had 3 Christmas's here, and each one has been harder than the previous one.But now its the final countdown,,,Yipee

Guest JOHN ODonnell

Well, the food and petrol are heading up every three months. The wind is so cold it would cut your cheeks and your toes feel like a rack of ice lollies, hence the utility bills are crushing everyone. We are a very mixed society and pockets of tribal communities who refuse to integrate. VAT will go up to 20% after Christmas!

The emigration from uk nationals is at an all time high leaving the less ambitious to stay at home.

Education funding is being pulled.

Industry will become unsustainable again under the hung government......remember the closure of the mines, end of car production, train and ship building etc.

Count your blessings, get a snow machine and make the best of it !!

Hi Stovies

We will be home for good, by next Christmas, as well. Know exactly what you mean. Although I havent managed to do any Christmas shopping, here yet. It just doesant feel right. They might well get a White Christmas in the UK again, this year. That makes me feel even worse being here. But this is the last one here, and Im so excited,I never knew I could miss anything this much!!!!!!.Its a great feeling,to be going home,Ive had 3 Christmas's here, and each one has been harder than the previous one.But now its the final countdown,,,Yipee

YIPPEE!

:anisanta:

Looks like we are both in the same boat outta here!

Archived