GSM Processing Times and Possible Delays with the SMPs

George Lombard

Hi Lenore,

do you have to contact S.A. to find out if you're going to be on the list? I couldn't see anything on the site listing proposed occupations on the SMPs

Carl

No, they will send emails to those who are currently in queue AND whose occupations are on that priority list.

By those who are currently in queue I mean applicants who managed to send their application and set of documents before May the 14th AND agreed to be put to new SMP queue. There were emails from SA about this a couple of weeks ago; we used this opportunity, but I doubt if we are on their priority list. Anyway, those who are, will be contacted soon. Hope somebody lets us know!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nodrog72

Hi lenore

We have completed TRA in April, Visa lodged 2 July and submitted SS application SA and documentation prior to 14 May. We then received the plethora of emails from SA about various options over the following weeks. Fortunately I was on the CSL and MODL before the changes and as such am still on the potential future SMP according to various sources. i.e other threads on this site etc. Two important decisions that were made were "our application would still be processed regardless of the wait for the SMP (if we wished)." Secondly "a decision to our aplication would take upto 6 weeks from the 11 Aug." Today (12 Aug) our online application status with SA was updated and we have been successful in gaining SA SS.

Hopefully reading this will give you and others hope and also to demonstrate the chaotic processing between states and DIAC.

Next for us is: Police and Medical checks.

Good luck and don't give up hope.

Gordon & tanya:biggrin:

Hi lenore

We have completed TRA in April, Visa lodged 2 July and submitted SS application SA and documentation prior to 14 May. We then received the plethora of emails from SA about various options over the following weeks. Fortunately I was on the CSL and MODL before the changes and as such am still on the potential future SMP according to various sources. i.e other threads on this site etc. Two important decisions that were made were "our application would still be processed regardless of the wait for the SMP (if we wished)." Secondly "a decision to our aplication would take upto 6 weeks from the 11 Aug." Today (12 Aug) our online application status with SA was updated and we have been successful in gaining SA SS.

Hopefully reading this will give you and others hope and also to demonstrate the chaotic processing between states and DIAC.

Next for us is: Police and Medical checks.

Good luck and don't give up hope.

Gordon & tanya:biggrin:

Hi Gordon & Tanya, thanks for your post. But I don't quite understand, you lodged for a visa before May suspension - was it 175 visa? And you now got SS... But from what I know you can't change now to 176... Could you explain that?

We haven't lodged for a visa yet. We only sent application with full docs for SS before May suspension. And it's OK we didn't lodge for a visa, because we are now on Schedule 4 so we would lose priority! And there's a tiny chance that SA wil put our code on their SMP. I wonder - if they do and we get SS (it's sooo optimistic) what do we do with our ASCO code, prob apply with it, because there won't be enough time (SS expires after 30 days) to officially have it mapped and reassessed to ANZSCO...

Guest Bob2008
Hi Gordon & Tanya, thanks for your post. But I don't quite understand, you lodged for a visa before May suspension - was it 175 visa? And you now got SS... But from what I know you can't change now to 176... Could you explain that?

We haven't lodged for a visa yet. We only sent application with full docs for SS before May suspension. And it's OK we didn't lodge for a visa, because we are now on Schedule 4 so we would lose priority! And there's a tiny chance that SA wil put our code on their SMP. I wonder - if they do and we get SS (it's sooo optimistic) what do we do with our ASCO code, prob apply with it, because there won't be enough time (SS expires after 30 days) to officially have it mapped and reassessed to ANZSCO...

Hi Lenore,

Those who lodged for a visa before May 2010 have applied under old rules, and can change their visa to sponsored. For those who haven't it's not possible anymore.

As it concerns your ASCO code, if you have an ASCO assessment it's not a problem. They will use SOL Schedules to translate your occupation to the ANZSCO. It is valid for its life time indicated for the given assessment.

Thank you, Bob. That's how I understood the transition procedures by DIAC.

Do you know if current (electronic) visa application form accepts ASCO code format? Or one applies using ANZSCO that corresponds to their ASCO and just attaches ASCO assessment with other docs?

I wrote about it to DIAC, but got a reply with a copy-paste answer about priorities to be changed and two dead links that were supposed to lead to their site with transitional arrangements... No clear answer how to apply.

No, they will send emails to those who are currently in queue AND whose occupations are on that priority list.

By those who are currently in queue I mean applicants who managed to send their application and set of documents before May the 14th AND agreed to be put to new SMP queue. There were emails from SA about this a couple of weeks ago; we used this opportunity, but I doubt if we are on their priority list. Anyway, those who are, will be contacted soon. Hope somebody lets us know!

What if you haven't applied yet but want to find out if you could? How can I find out if my occupation will be on there list? thx

Hey folks, any idea regarding the SOL for VIC state?!

When would it be out ?!?! Any speculation on what skills are going to be on the list?

hi mikull,

SMP of VIC will be released on September.

As I have heard, the candidates who lodged VIC sponsorship application prior to May 7 are being interviewed by telephone or internet and given subsequently pre-sponsorship.

GSM Processing Times and Possible Delays with the SMPs

When I read the title as above, I thought no, how can this possibly be! I cant believe there are yet more delays. Waste of space, the lot of them!

Rant over

Its terrible Mike, have you checked to see if you have gone into Cat3 or Cat4 since the changes. Unfortunately for us we have gone to the bottom of the queue now to Cat4 even with SS from WA, so have to sit tight for the SMP's.

Guest milkdogg3000

Hi

Just trying to get my head around where I'm at with my application. Applied for a 487 visa in June 2009. Obviously my occupation was on the SOL but I was in processing group 6 (ii). My occupation is not on this new SOL schedule 3, so does that mean I'm now in Category 4?

According to the DIAC website, Category 3 applications lodged on or after 1 July 2010 should be finalised within 18 months of date of lodgement (for some visas even longer, between 18 and 24 months).

Client Service Charter

Given that Category 4 cases don't get looked at until ALL cases in 1-3 are finalised, does that mean I won't hear anything for about another 2 years? I'm trying to decide whether to accept a full time job whilst I'm in limbo and how long I could commit to it for.

Also, how long are police clearance checks and medicals valid for? I did mine back in 09, will I have to redo them at some point?

Thanks.

Guest Mongobear

Hi,

if your occupation is not on schedule 3 or 4 you are stuck in priority 4. Nobody knows when these applications will be processed. Theoretically there will always be applications in the first three priorities so it is likely that prio 4 will never ever be processed.

Sorry mate

Uli

Hi

Just trying to get my head around where I'm at with my application. Applied for a 487 visa in June 2009. Obviously my occupation was on the SOL but I was in processing group 6 (ii). My occupation is not on this new SOL schedule 3, so does that mean I'm now in Category 4?

According to the DIAC website, Category 3 applications lodged on or after 1 July 2010 should be finalised within 18 months of date of lodgement (for some visas even longer, between 18 and 24 months).

Client Service Charter

Given that Category 4 cases don't get looked at until ALL cases in 1-3 are finalised, does that mean I won't hear anything for about another 2 years? I'm trying to decide whether to accept a full time job whilst I'm in limbo and how long I could commit to it for.

Also, how long are police clearance checks and medicals valid for? I did mine back in 09, will I have to redo them at some point?

Thanks.

Hi guys,

I am living in OZ on my second WHV but i haven't been working or paying any tax to Australian goverment. Has this got anything to do with my 176 visa application?

cheers

asad

Hi guys,

I am living in OZ on my second WHV but i haven't been working or paying any tax to Australian goverment. Has this got anything to do with my 176 visa application?

cheers

asad

Err ... no ...

Are you being paid in cash? Are you sure your employers have not been withholding tax from your pay, and remitting it to the ATO?

Best regards.

Guest Bob2008
Thank you, Bob. That's how I understood the transition procedures by DIAC.

Do you know if current (electronic) visa application form accepts ASCO code format? Or one applies using ANZSCO that corresponds to their ASCO and just attaches ASCO assessment with other docs?

I wrote about it to DIAC, but got a reply with a copy-paste answer about priorities to be changed and two dead links that were supposed to lead to their site with transitional arrangements... No clear answer how to apply.

No, sorry. I don't have this information. But if your codes transition is straight and plain, it should be ok. There were some difficulties with some of IT codes though. IT folks know better than me about this. :)

Guest mikewheble
Its terrible Mike, have you checked to see if you have gone into Cat3 or Cat4 since the changes. Unfortunately for us we have gone to the bottom of the queue now to Cat4 even with SS from WA, so have to sit tight for the SMP's.

Hi Michelle & John

Yep, I'm the same as you, my job is in schedule one and so I'm now officially in Group 4. Now for an even longer wait.

As you know, I don’t want to put my life on hold waiting for this lot to sort their act out because, who knows, they may never do. With this in mind, I quit my job last week and am now looking at starting my own business or new opportunities. I don’t want to be sitting around twiddling my thumbs in the hope that we may get a visa, I want to be pro active and live my life.

I know people may well say that I shouldn’t have quit and that may jeopardise my opportunity for Oz however, I'm on good speaking terms with my company and besides life is for living.

Hope you are well and speak soon

Regards

Mike, Andrea and the boys

Guest tabatha
hi mikull,

SMP of VIC will be released on September.

As I have heard, the candidates who lodged VIC sponsorship application prior to May 7 are being interviewed by telephone or internet and given subsequently pre-sponsorship.

What about WA smp??? Has any body heard when it's out..Thought I saw a list on here a while ago that was still to be approved??? I'm a cook and just got SS 4 weeks ago.... So maby thatgives me hope that Cooks might just be on it??? Or why would they be approving SS at this stage??? Any comments would be helpful...:yes:

Guest VickyMel

I don't think there is really any news on when any of the SMPs might be out.

All the dates previously mentioned were "not until this date at the earliest"

None of them have been approved yet and everything was put on hold re the election.

With the election pretty much still not sorted and not knowing which party will be in power there is still nothing happening towards the SMPs - so no news yet and the SMPs may be delayed even longer until they have sorted out what is happening..?

VickyMel

What about WA smp??? Has any body heard when it's out..Thought I saw a list on here a while ago that was still to be approved??? I'm a cook and just got SS 4 weeks ago.... So maby thatgives me hope that Cooks might just be on it??? Or why would they be approving SS at this stage??? Any comments would be helpful...:yes:

Last time I checked WA SMP expected date is around last week of September or first week of October 2010, depending upon who forms the government and how quickly forms the government

Hello All

I just wonder, sitting here in the UK it is hard to tell so any light shed would be welcome,

That yes the election's are yet to be finalized and all of us waiting for smp's are hoping they will be sorted quick, But i wonder how much of a priority are the smp's? are there not other promise's made to the Aus public that are far more important to them than sorting smp's?

Could it all be placed on the slow burner for even longer while they tackle other things or does it seem high up on the list of vote earning promise's be it good or bad for us waiting.

I guess im just asking how much Aus air time is immigration getting compared to other issue's?

Thanks

Kev

Hi All,

Me too feel miserable and negative.

I wonder if there will be any SMP announce, or will it be another new priority list and another change that put us another decade behind.

Sorry about my rumbling.

Hope everyone stays uplifted and happy. Cheers!

hi guys,

here is the mail from QLD government regarding to SMP. Please note the Red font in this mail.

Hi Alex

Thank you for your email.

To apply to DIAC for a 176 visa, you need to give them a letter from this Departm,ent that we have nominated you. As your occuaption is not on our skills list we can not provide you with such a letter. Your occupation may appear on our State Migration Plan but it will be many months before this is approved. It will then take more months to approve your nomination application because of the queue we already have.

I would suggest that you make an application with us to get it in the queue but be prepared to wait many months before it is processed.

Guest Jamie Smith

As you might need a job after arrival, and that will usually take some months to obtain while you pay out living expenses with no salary, why not undertake the job search now while you still have an income?

You might get over here on a 457 or perhaps ENS ahead of when the States eventually have a smooth pipeline for SMP.

I believe that after several months of applications piling up for SMP, this may encourage the states to cherry pick which occupations they will sponsor first, and only when the backlog is cleared in any state will we see the full SMP in action.

Archived