GSM Processing Times and Possible Delays with the SMPs

George Lombard

The following link from the new Client Service Charter: Client Service Charter suggests likely DIAC processing times for those with a new State Migration Plan application (six months) and those on the SOL without an SMP approval (18 months).

Generally the Client Service Charter is one of the first casualties of any real or imaginary crisis but it does give an indication of the possible advantages of state sponsorship through an SMP. Personally I was surprised at the size of the differential, this will create an enormous spike when the SMPs are announced, I imagine.

It also suggests that people with an existing Priority Group 3 (SOL but no SMP approval) application as at 1 July will have a 12 month wait. The prospects seem bad, however, for those in Priority Group 4 (not current SOL, not on SMP).

Cheers,

George Lombard

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jamie Smith

I wrote and asked why there was no notice about what was now happening in regards to the proposed changes as a result of the election being called. I mean, you'd think the Minister and DIAC would want to keep people informed.

Apparently not.

For some, this will be good news as the existing State lists should continue unless notofied otherwise (George?). For others, you might need to wait until early next year if the Government changes as these changes will be reviewed again. if Labour get back in, it should be this year.

Dear Mr Smith

Thank you for your email of 21 July 2010 to the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Senator Chris Evans, concerning changes to the Skilled Migration Program, including the implementation of State and Territory Migration Plans. Your email has been referred to me for reply.

As you are aware, on 8 February 2010, the Minister announced the development of individual State and Territory Migration Plans to allow jurisdictions to prioritise skilled migrants of their own choosing. This recognises that each state and territory has different skills requirements. The Department is currently working with state and territory governments to develop the Plans, which will be subject to Ministerial approval prior to implementation.

On 17 July 2010, the Prime Minister of Australia, the Hon Julia Gillard MP, announced that a federal election would be conducted on 21 August 2010, and as such, the Australian Government has assumed a caretaker role. Under caretaker guidelines, it is convention for the government to avoid making major policy decisions that are likely to commit an incoming government. Implementation of State and Territory Migration Plans, therefore, will be a matter for the incoming government to consider at a time after the election.

Similarly, other proposed changes to the Skilled Migration Program will be a matter for the incoming government. This would include the possible implementation of any outcomes from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship's review of the General Skilled Migration Points Test.

Thank you for writing on this matter.

Yours sincerely

Peter Speldewinde Assistant Secretary Labour Market Branch

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Jamie, hi George

Thank you both, very much, for obtaining and publishing the new information above.

Jamie, I tried to click your chicken but the machine told me that I had to spread some more Reputation around before awarding any to you again. Then I saw that you now have 6 of the puce coloured boxes in any case and the system stops awarding them after 6 boxes, so there is no further point in doing anything more than thanking you from now on. I hope you will understand. I've abandoned George Lombard's and Alan Collett's chickens for the same reasons.

It is "conventional" for the Government to avoid taking major policy decisions whilst it is in Caretaker mode. It is not the subject of two nouns. I'll improve DIAC's use of English if it kills me. The Minister moans that some visa applicants only have very poor English. The same is true of some of his most senior staff as well. Is the Minister insisting on good marks in the IELTS for all of the staff in his own Department or is he only moaning about visa applicants alone, one wonders?

It sounds to me as if the SMPs have not been finalised with all of the State Governments as yet? Perhaps Mr Speldewinde has really only done a cut & paste from one of the other Policy statement, though.

I am interested to note that DIAC consider that introducing the SMPs is a major Policy idea, though. I'll bet that the Minister hoped that DIAC would decide that the SMPs were only a minor procedural arrangement.

Cheers

Gill

Guest JK2510

Hi all,

Could this delay stretch past the september/october suggested timeframes we have been looking at?

I know this can work both ways. The cat 3s could benefit from this(We lodged 175 march 2009) so this could be good for me but then the cat 4s remain in limbo as to whether give up,persue other options and hit the bottle!

Hi all,

Could this delay stretch past the september/october suggested timeframes we have been looking at?

I know this can work both ways. The cat 3s could benefit from this(We lodged 175 march 2009) so this could be good for me but then the cat 4s remain in limbo as to whether give up,persue other options and hit the bottle!

I guess it would depend on which party wins. Hopefully not though.

pls help!!!!!! can any one tell me after SMP do we have to give IELts again to get ^6each........ i applied 885 hairdressing in sep 09 and SA ss in nov 09...............got ielts 6 ,6, 7, 5=6 pls suggest me

pls help!!!!!! can any one tell me after SMP do we have to give IELts again to get ^6each........ i applied 885 hairdressing in sep 09 and SA ss in nov 09...............got ielts 6 ,6, 7, 5=6 pls suggest me

As far as I am aware you need to get 6 on every section, otherwise you won't qualify any skilled visa. I'm pretty sure that was a requirement when you first applied for the visa. THis will not change once SMPs are released.

See this:

Skilled – Sponsored (Residence) visa (subclass 886)

As far as I am aware you need to get 6 on every section, otherwise you won't qualify any skilled visa. I'm pretty sure that was a requirement when you first applied for the visa. THis will not change once SMPs are released.

See this:

6 with family sponsorship (886). For independent visa (885) its 7.

Guest orynoco

SOLID PLASTERER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AQFIII passed 04-09, SSV Recieved 11-09, Visa Applied 11-09, 27 yrs exp, really would like to know what CAT i am in know and when does anyone rally know when the SMP,s are headind our way.

Guest VickyMel

AQFIII passed 04-09, SSV Recieved 11-09, Visa Applied 11-09, 27 yrs exp, really would like to know what CAT i am in know and when does anyone rally know when the SMP,s are headind our way.

I think (but really don't take my word for it) thaht Solid Plasterer is in Cat3 on the new SOL.

I only think this because I am pretty sure Taz's OH is a solid plasterer and she has bumped to Cat 3.

Check out Taz2008 on this thread - March 2009 application on the first page/post

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/91482-new-category-3s-where-you-now.html#post819270

The SMPs will head out way when they feel like it and probably be delayed a number of times in the process - I think the latest was not before Sept for most of them.

VickyMel

Guest smithys

Hi, we are Solid Plasterer too and we are now Cat 3.

Def Cat 3 but don't know when the SMPs will be out, sorry. (guess that's the 64 million dollar question??!!)

Good Luck x

Rose:wubclub:

Guest itsSHIRLEY

Hi I have a question. I am going to try and get state sponsership with queensland, as they are still sponsering people while waiting for the new SMP. I am a nurse. so does anyone know under what category i will be proiritised under.

Guest rachbarlow

I think SMP's will be oct.............. that is if the government that gets in doesn't change their mind and the whole system AGAIN in the process!

Hi all

I have obtained SS of WA and lodged DIAC last week. I am now in the Group 3.

However, I am rather confused now. I dont know whether my case will be automatically converted to Group Priority 2 when the SMP is released... you know, DIAC didn't explain it very well.

by the way, my occupation is Civil Engineer and I am sure it will be on the SMPs.

Guest smithys
Hi all

I have obtained SS of WA and lodged DIAC last week. I am now in the Group 3.

However, I am rather confused now. I dont know whether my case will be automatically converted to Group Priority 2 when the SMP is released... you know, DIAC didn't explain it very well.

by the way, my occupation is Civil Engineer and I am sure it will be on the SMPs.

Hi, at the moment - DIAC have stated that if you are now Cat 3 AND have been nominated by a State AND when that State releases it's SMP, if your nominated trade (ie Civil Engineer) is on your States SMP you will automatically be moved to Cat 2.

There is info on the DIAC website, I think it's in the FAQ'S. I'm sure somone will have the link for it.

There was mention of the fact that you may need to notify DIAC when they release the SMP's to let them know you request to be moved up.

Hope this helps. And of course, it's all subject to change again!!!!!

Good luck,

Rose:wubclub:

See this:

Are you sure you need IELTS for GSM if you already have SS ?

I was under the assumption that once the SMP's are published IELTS would be compulsory for new applicants but for those already with SS the rules are a bit vague. There is the possibility that applicants with SS pre 1st July 2010 (and no IELTS) will not need to apply for SMP and hence IELTS otherwise States will become snowed under by tens of thousands of new applications from those already holding SS. As far as I can see there is nothing saying that you must have IELTS for those already with SS. It's a case of wait and see how DIAC decides to handle this situation. Anyway, there's going to be a fair delay before SMP has an impact, SMP's out in Sept / Oct (or possibly later if a new government is elected re Jamie Smith) and then up to 6 months processing times !!

cheers

Mr Moo

Are you sure you need IELTS for GSM if you already have SS ?

I was under the assumption that once the SMP's are published IELTS would be compulsory for new applicants but for those already with SS the rules are a bit vague. There is the possibility that applicants with SS pre 1st July 2010 (and no IELTS) will not need to apply for SMP and hence IELTS otherwise States will become snowed under by tens of thousands of new applications from those already holding SS. As far as I can see there is nothing saying that you must have IELTS for those already with SS. It's a case of wait and see how DIAC decides to handle this situation. Anyway, there's going to be a fair delay before SMP has an impact, SMP's out in Sept / Oct (or possibly later if a new government is elected re Jamie Smith) and then up to 6 months processing times !!

cheers

Mr Moo

I think you have confused the entire post of Matjones. What she is saying is that you need 6 in each of the IELTS modules in order to apply for a skilled visa and that this is required to be submitted at the time of application. This has nothing to do with SS and SMP.

As regards SS / SMP, it all depends on the individual state and as and when they wish have any requirement, they will request for the same

I think you have confused the entire post of Matjones. What she is saying is that you need 6 in each of the IELTS modules in order to apply for a skilled visa and that this is required to be submitted at the time of application. This has nothing to do with SS and SMP.

As regards SS / SMP, it all depends on the individual state and as and when they wish have any requirement, they will request for the same

I've had a quick look at the DIAC website and I still can't see anything saying you must have IELTS to apply for a GSM if you hold a UK passport. I see the message about submitting IELTS within 28 days of your application. The points test gives you the option of getting 25 pts by getting IELTS or 15 points using your UK passport as evidence.

Maybe I'm a bit dim and not seeing something obvious.

cheers

Mr Moo

I've had a quick look at the DIAC website and I still can't see anything saying you must have IELTS to apply for a GSM if you hold a UK passport. I see the message about submitting IELTS within 28 days of your application. The points test gives you the option of getting 25 pts by getting IELTS or 15 points using your UK passport as evidence.

cheers

Mr Moo

If you have a UK passport then you do not need to worry about IELTS unless you need the 25 points for 'proficient' english. Your british passport will get you 15 points. My original comment was in response to someone who is obviously not an eligible passport holder, and needed to pass IELTS.

cheers

Mr Moo

The rule has now changed to - submission of IELTS within 28 days of your application. This only applies to people from non English speaking countries. If you wish to earn 25 points, then even if you are from an English speaking country you need to sit the IELTS exam and gain 7 in each module. Which country are you from ?

Archived