Capping and culling the migration queue - Peter Mares Comment

Alan Collett

There may be some elements in federal Labor Machiavellian enough to make a pre-election show of expelling unwanted cooks and hairdressers while reminding voters all the while that it was Howard-era policies that brought them to the country in the first place.
It probably won't even be an election issue though as it seems the majority of Australian voters,perhaps in common with those in other countries, are more concerned with interest rates and the general economy rather than the migration program.

Guest Mary Cockerill

Hi Alan, an interesting article. and as you have said 'let the games begin' however, those games are with peoples lives and livelyhoods. Either the minister is hoping that 'no one' lodges applications at all infuture, or he is hoping that people will still spend hundreds of thousands of Dollars on a 'lotto' system. I wonder if it is the intentions of the minister to open a sepearate banking account in which to deposit the lodgement fees, that must then be held in the said account, earning interest, so that when he 'culls' the relevant applications he will have sufficient funds to refund unsucessful applicants. I get the impression that the minister is intent on developing an 'Elitist' environment/country, closing his boarders, to all but his chosen few. Changes are necessary, no argument, but he should not punish the 'genuine', the people that have met the requirements and lodged applications in 'good faith'. He needs a wake up call, and he needs it fast. He will, by his arbitary actions, kill the country that pays his salary. Shame on him.

Guest jilkfree1978

interesting report will show my wife later!

we all feel kinda used,there quick way to make money!!!

I dont want to live in oz now.they con people!!

oz sucks:arghh:

Capping and culling the migration queue | Inside Story

Let the games begin!

Best regards.

I had a 475 that was in Express Post before the minister made his announcement returned as invalid and I was invited to apply for a refund of the VAC, which would have taken 6 to 8 weeks. I subsequently received an email from some dopey bureaucrat informing me the financial institution cheque I had tendered had been dishonoured. Fact is I had stopped payment on it. How is it that these clowns can return all the documents submitted, except the cheque? The nominated skilled occupation is on the new SOL for whatever that might be worth; it is apparent that it is not a good idea to take anything the minister announces at face value.

I am representing a chef who was refused due to a technical error in his DIY 485 application. I do not expect this to be the first case I have lost in the MRT; on the other hand I did not expect to lodge an invalid visa application. If my client wins he is not likely to be vastly amused if after having invested $45000+ in an entirely above-board ‘chef’ course and a similar amount for living and other costs the kook hits him below the belt. About the only thing he has put his hand to and not stuffed up is his revocation of Direction 36.

I am not surprised by this and I think most Australians would be happy with this proposition, international students are students and to most of Aus they are supposed to return to their countries when they have finished their training. Australia has graduates of its own who are unable to fine work placements and these students have to take priority. Look after one's own first.

Unfortunately to be un biased the gov has to be seen to not favouring one sector over another in the migration stakes.

A lot of int students do not even study when they come over just using the visa as a way to get residency and this has to be stopped.

I think we will find that all governments in the world are now going to be bringing in stricter migration controls as the electorate want this to happen.

Disagree with you Petals I don't believe as you say alot of int students don't even study here, I have seen and still do alot of int students study very hard for years to get degrees, all only being able to work 20hrs a week with no medical cover and having to pay for private health.

It costs them and there familys alot of money.

There are alot that I know who have now finished and are working very hard in good professions and paying there taxes and giving back to Australia and are very grateful for a wonderful opportunity. That they had to work very hard for.

I am sure there are some that may use it as a way of just getting resident visa.

All in all I think alot of those that come and pay for there studying and then get work in that proffession we should be happy for them.

Cheers Laney

I am not surprised by this and I think most Australians would be happy with this proposition, international students are students and to most of Aus they are supposed to return to their countries when they have finished their training. Australia has graduates of its own who are unable to fine work placements and these students have to take priority. Look after one's own first.

Unfortunately to be un biased the gov has to be seen to not favouring one sector over another in the migration stakes.

A lot of int students do not even study when they come over just using the visa as a way to get residency and this has to be stopped.

I think we will find that all governments in the world are now going to be bringing in stricter migration controls as the electorate want this to happen.

You've got that right.! A lotta abuse happening in the Intl' students Migrant category. But, The Genuine students get affected too. What should be done is a fresh policy to Stop PR Route for Intl' students unless employer sponsored to be implemented for Future Students.

But the other Concern is for the the already Onshore and studying students who have taken Permanent Residence policy with 2 yrs study as one of their criterion in choosing Australia as their study destination should be unaffected with ANY new changes. They have come here (Or I have come here) spending huge amounts of foreign money considering the Fact that I will get International Education and a Permanent Residence Status in another country which will help me with my Career path and when that was initially promised and advertised, it should not be that Now the promise is broken and the students are cheated.

This really WAS how the Govt. portrayed the 'Study in Australia' campaign - Study 2yrs and get Permanent Residence in Australia. . . . So really, No students should be blamed completely for this, although there have been a huge number of students ready to spend such huge money only for migration purposes but the mixture involves genuine students too.

So whatevr policy is going to be made, it should be made and implemented for Future Intl' students who wouldnt be affected at all with the changes.

This will be my 2 cents.

Guest Jane1991
I am not surprised by this and I think most Australians would be happy with this proposition, international students are students and to most of Aus they are supposed to return to their countries when they have finished their training.

As idealist as the sentiment might be , the truth is Australia faces a shrinking tax base ! The only way to counter this is to grab as many younger tax payers as the government can.

And its a smart policy ... Absorb educated young people with domestic qualifications and language proficiency into the country. Don't spend anything on their education. The non productive 18 years of life ( childhood) are paid off by another nation's tax payers and then Australia gets a free ride.Economist's dream come true

Intergenerational report seems to support this alarming fact !

Infact Australia is not the only country battling to secure its future tax base. Canada . US . New Zealand .. ( Japan if it could) have similar policies in place

Guest keenuz

GOOD JOB RANJITH AND LANEY NOW LISTEN TO THIS !

someone said that intl students dnt even study just work and comes here to gain permanent residency.

iam intl student from india and im cook came here on student visa 2.5 yrs back my college was HTA not dodgy college at all very strict,and classes 5 dayz a week. i wanted to be a permanent resident and suddenly i find out its nt childs game,,i was medical student in india and chosen cookery for PR, no doubt, then i started hard work and took cooking seriously and find a job and starts wrking as a cook and was doing gud and i knew that 1 year paid job will take me to permanent residency..

but ive been thrown out by my employer because he cannot employ me on tax thats what happens wid most of intl students,, then the last way for me left was driving cab and study IELTS hard to get 7 , i did the same and in taxi i used to take my IELTS books so whenever free start studying again. i took ielts exam 6 times to score 7 in each and finally after spending almost $45000 including everything iam week away from submitting my PR , and now this ( CEASE AND CAP ) . so i dnt know why COOKERY STUDENTS always being blamed . atleast offshore people sitting in their homes but we have to go thru everything here without our family,s support.

Karan

This is getting frustarting now.

Yesterday Hairdressers had a bit of good news from Jamie Smith after attending DIAc roadshow where the impression was given that offshore applicants should be ok and now we have the chap in the interview within Peter Mares article stating that offshore are more likely to be hit. Which one is more likely ????

I understand offshore are not in the country and would feel sorry for onshore if they were hit . But afterall I thought the reason for this issue in the first place was to rectify the errors made by the dodgy colleges and the influx of intl students that caused the oversupply. Accoridng to the Peter Mares article the issue's that created the problem could be ok whereas the offshoer that havenet done anything incorrectly might be penalised.

How does that make sense.

Shane

someone said that intl students dnt even study just work and comes here to gain permanent residency.

iam intl student from india and im cook came here on student visa 2.5 yrs back my college was HTA not dodgy college at all very strict,and classes 5 dayz a week. i wanted to be a permanent resident and suddenly i find out its nt childs game,,i was medical student in india and chosen cookery for PR, no doubt, then i started hard work and took cooking seriously and find a job and starts wrking as a cook and was doing gud and i knew that 1 year paid job will take me to permanent residency..

but ive been thrown out by my employer because he cannot employ me on tax thats what happens wid most of intl students,, then the last way for me left was driving cab and study IELTS hard to get 7 , i did the same and in taxi i used to take my IELTS books so whenever free start studying again. i took ielts exam 6 times to score 7 in each and finally after spending almost $45000 including everything iam week away from submitting my PR , and now this ( CEASE AND CAP ) . so i dnt know why COOKERY STUDENTS always being blamed . atleast offshore people sitting in their homes but we have to go thru everything here without our family,s support.

Karan

Hi Karan,

I know it is very hard if they apply cap and cease against Offshore and onshore. Offhsore applicants have also spend lots of their time and money in fulfilling their dreams. Otherwise we were fine here in India working and earning well. But we have decided to serve the country which could honor our work, but it's all against this. Even we are also not enjoying our life here in our home countries after applying for the visa.If they want to cap us today they could have tell us 3 years back that we could come under cap and cease, we would have chosen something else for our livelihood...It's all pain man whether it's offshore or onshore.

How can the government expects to attract health professionals to work here in Australia? It is a must to validate the skills before applying to a job, so the government expects that people spend lot of money coming here to do the written and practical tests and come back to their countries to look for an sponsor?

They must be crazy don't they?

Guest keenuz

Sorry but i didnt means that it wont hurt offshore , i just meant that it wud be disaster for us as we have nt many options left back in our country i ahve done bachelor of science and then cookery lolz what wud i say in an interview when apply for job, i pray for both onshore and offshore, but the reality is known by only chris evans. I know only one thing that this is insane to remove someones PR application applied under the rules made by the govt at that time. i expect some protest by students in big cities here after 15th june or 1st july but the fact is only 3% of student knows abt this bill for rest of them its going to be surprise attack just like pearl harbor.

Guest keenuz

sorry bajwa ji didnt want to hurt u . asi ta na ghar de rahe na ghat de,, hehehe,,waise sir tusi punjab tau

karan sandhu

You've got that right.! A lotta abuse happening in the Intl' students Migrant category. But, The Genuine students get affected too. What should be done is a fresh policy to Stop PR Route for Intl' students unless employer sponsored to be implemented for Future Students.

But the other Concern is for the the already Onshore and studying students who have taken Permanent Residence policy with 2 yrs study as one of their criterion in choosing Australia as their study destination should be unaffected with ANY new changes. They have come here (Or I have come here) spending huge amounts of foreign money considering the Fact that I will get International Education and a Permanent Residence Status in another country which will help me with my Career path and when that was initially promised and advertised, it should not be that Now the promise is broken and the students are cheated.

This really WAS how the Govt. portrayed the 'Study in Australia' campaign - Study 2yrs and get Permanent Residence in Australia. . . . So really, No students should be blamed completely for this, although there have been a huge number of students ready to spend such huge money only for migration purposes but the mixture involves genuine students too.

So whatevr policy is going to be made, it should be made and implemented for Future Intl' students who wouldnt be affected at all with the changes.

This will be my 2 cents.

Spot on mate.

If need be do a immigration system like Japan for all Rudd wants.

Its one thing to tell prospective applicants before they apply that "don't bother" and another thing to tell someone who spent $$$ in uni fees, associated visa costs that you got no future here when CLEARLY the education providers (some sponsored by Federal Government) portrayed education = PR route.

Karan

Karan, I think you misuderstood what Ranjith was saying.

Firstly, the system needs to be revamped big time. Enough of this PR = Education. If I was the minister of immigration, I would have done something about it as well. It is like a cancer on the immigration system and sooner of later if affects everyone on it.

Secondly, all exisiting applicants SHOULD NOT be touched with "cap and cease" bill. That includes genuine students like me and you AND dodgy ones who were studying cookery and doing completely different. 2-3 years ago, thats how government/education providers marketed the vocational courses. End of the day, its their fault. We did the study, paid the fees, and should be given as was promised.

Even if you hated cookery and did something completely different, it would still be somewhat understandable.

I dont know about skills, but money-wise we contributed more than enough to Australia.

Guest gmac

Mark Webster suggests that the capping and terminating of visa applications could also be used in the family migration program, which suffered a cull of 5750 places in the May budget.

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with any figures for family sponsored visas pre May budget. More specifically GSM program visa applications. You would expect to be able to calculate some sort of appproximate waiting time then post 1st July 2010.

Or am I getting my maths mixed up with two separate issues, one being GSM program and two being FM program?

Cheers

Gary

Sorry but i didnt means that it wont hurt offshore , i just meant that it wud be disaster for us as we have nt many options left back in our country i ahve done bachelor of science and then cookery lolz what wud i say in an interview when apply for job, i pray for both onshore and offshore, but the reality is known by only chris evans. I know only one thing that this is insane to remove someones PR application applied under the rules made by the govt at that time. i expect some protest by students in big cities here after 15th june or 1st july but the fact is only 3% of student knows abt this bill for rest of them its going to be surprise attack just like pearl harbor.

So, go and spread the awareness in the minds of students. Show them the path of this forum so that they can read and make the decision.

Guest Aussie2B
Mark Webster suggests that the capping and terminating of visa applications could also be used in the family migration program, which suffered a cull of 5750 places in the May budget.

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with any figures for family sponsored visas pre May budget. More specifically GSM program visa applications. You would expect to be able to calculate some sort of appproximate waiting time then post 1st July 2010.

Or am I getting my maths mixed up with two separate issues, one being GSM program and two being FM program?

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary,

I think the Family Sponsored visas within the GSM program is a different, separate stream than the FM program. The FM program concerns visas for parents, children, fiances etc. (not in relation to a certain occupation), whereas family sponsored migrants fall into the 'skilled' category.. therefore GSM. That's how I understand it.... Pls correct me if I'm wrong!

"Capping and culling the migration queue. Legislation before parliament will give the immigration minister new power to “terminate” certain classes of visa application, reports Peter Mares.

IMMIGRATION Minister Chris Evans might soon have the power to force tens of thousands of international student graduates to leave Australia with just twenty-eight days’ notice....

....Although it hasn’t been reported elsewhere, news of the proposed amendment has spread rapidly through international student networks and online migration forums, sparking panic, outrage and consternation. On 26 May the bill was referred to the Senate Legal and Constitutional Affairs Committee, which received dozens of submissions from concerned applicants within a week of its inquiry’s commencing."

While genuine students should be given the opportunities, hard thing people dont realise is that it is next to impossible to sort out who is genuine and who is dodgy. Its a bit like war. You find your target, drop the bomb, but it also kills a few bystanders you didnt mean to hit.

Archived