Guest guest36187

11 hours ago, Catlady2014 said:

I complete on my house next Thursday.  I'm moving in with my sister temporarily as I'll be at the 33 months stage on 1st July.  Still no request for my second vac but I'm hoping it'll happen in July.   Then again, pigs might fly.   Can you move in with family if necessary, Gafuk?

Hopefully 1st July you will be in the next batch:D

• Like 1

On 25/05/2017 at 13:27, SusieRoo said:

Just a thought on Geoff's car.

We are planning on taking our car with us. There is "personal imports option" which means you don't pay import tax. 

When we have compared prices, selling the car here then buying a replacement, to the cost of shipping. It easily stacks up for us.

Best wishes for your move

Hi

Please can you give me an idea of costs to ship? My car is about to die on me unfortunately....More problems!!  ?

Wondering if to buy a nearly new car here and ship over whenever my visa comes!! 

Than you

1 minute ago, Kathss56 said:

Hi

Please can you give me an idea of costs to ship? My car is about to die on me unfortunately....More problems!!  ?

Wondering if to buy a nearly new car here and ship over whenever my visa comes!! 

Than you

Just a thought on this, when my family went over recently they were going to take their Evoke with them, but the cleaning of the car and the Sat Nav were an issue.  So they sold it here and bought a new Hyundai!!

11 minutes ago, clarkesville1 said:

Just a thought on this, when my family went over recently they were going to take their Evoke with them, but the cleaning of the car and the Sat Nav were an issue.  So they sold it here and bought a new Hyundai!!

Thanks. Have just read iron lady imports page. Think if you have brand new prestige model might be worth it. But am going to look how much over there and then here for similar vehicle first  - as not convinced it is worth the extra stresssss?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kathss56 said:

Hi

Than you

Just to give you some perspective - my daughter just bought a brand new Toyota Corolla 1.8 automatic for $22,000.  You could get an ex-demo or low mileage one a lot cheaper than that though.  I decided a long while back not to take my car, because the shipping costs (I think about £1,500, but not certain now) made it just not worth it.  And there would have been extra costs for the roadworthy test, rego etc.  I will sell it just before I leave and should get about £3,500 for it, but at the time when I was considering taking it the resale value was about £5,000 - and still not worth it.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

Just to give you some perspective - my daughter just bought a brand new Toyota Corolla 1.8 automatic for $22,000.  You could get an ex-demo or low mileage one a lot cheaper than that though.  I decided a long while back not to take my car, because the shipping costs (I think about £1,500, but not certain now) made it just not worth it.  And there would have been extra costs for the roadworthy test, rego etc.  I will sell it just before I leave and should get about £3,500 for it, but at the time when I was considering taking it the resale value was about £5,000 - and still not worth it.  

Same here. Toyota are very popular over there and reasonable as you say. Have just been browsing  them!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

When we brought our car to Melbourne 9 years ago, we had to have owned the car for 1 year.  So buying just before leaving won't work, unless the rules have changed.  We were very pleased we brought our car over, we had enough things to sort out when first arriving without having to decide on a new car, some models are different.  So it was a good move for us. ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sooty said:

When we brought our car to Melbourne 9 years ago, we had to have owned the car for 1 year.  So buying just before leaving won't work, unless the rules have changed.  We were very pleased we brought our car over, we had enough things to sort out when first arriving without having to decide on a new car, some models are different.  So it was a good move for us. ?

Yes I would buy now which will be 12mths before. Gutted mine is dying and only done 56k was definitely hoping it would last until I go !  Old banger runaround I think it will have to be ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

Yes I would buy now which will be 12mths before. Gutted mine is dying and only done 56k was definitely hoping it would last until I go !  Old banger runaround I think it will have to be ?

You could always have mine, haha.  Only 23,000 miles on it.  

10 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

You could always have mine, haha.  Only 23,000 miles on it.  

That's my problem, don't want to spend any of my savings?? Have piston ring trouble so who knows when it will die! 

Fingers crossed it lasts a few more months with essential use only ! 

More dam stress :S

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

That's my problem, don't want to spend any of my savings?? Have piston ring trouble so who knows when it will die! 

Fingers crossed it lasts a few more months with essential use only ! 

More dam stress :S

That's the trouble with everything - the longer this process drags on, the more that stuff needs to be replaced.  And my car is depreciating all the time, eating further into my potential savings.  Now the exchange rate is once more on a downward spiral.  The only good thing about the long wait is that properties here increase in value - I got a good deal more for mine that I would have got 18 months ago.  

Just now, Catlady2014 said:

That's the trouble with everything - the longer this process drags on, the more that stuff needs to be replaced.  And my car is depreciating all the time, eating further into my potential savings.  Now the exchange rate is once more on a downward spiral.  The only good thing about the long wait is that properties here increase in value - I got a good deal more for mine that I would have got 18 months ago.  

Yep same for me, house prices keep rising near me and rent out for a lot more than I realised if I decide to rent out whilst on a 600 visa 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

Hi

Than you

I think you need to allow £3500 for shipping and all the additional costs, just  to be on the safe side. Husband is now reconsidering taking ours. He thinks he now needs an old Toyota with big wheels to drive on the beach. I'm saying nothing, he's already been though his Harley Davidson phase.

Edited by SusieRoo
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

I think you need to allow £3500 for shipping and all the additional costs, just  to be on the safe side. Husband is now reconsidering taking ours. He thinks he now needs an old Toyota with big wheels to drive on the beach. I'm saying nothing, he's already been though his Harley Davidson phase.

Tonka toys what can I say ! :biglaugh:

• Like 1

We changed our plans about taking our cars which we had updated in the last couple of years to qualify by owning them for over a year,  the figures made sense at the time and we loved our cars but with the longer than expected visa processing it no longer makes sense as we would have to pay for storage in uk and the cars would be depreciating , ( can't ship on a 600 vsa) .  We were also advised that although many cars in Australia may look the same they are often not made in europe, for instance a mercedes we would get here from Germany over there comes from South Africa  totally different factories, and someone in the trade said they are maybe not as good but getting parts for the european version would be expensive. The trade generally does not like grey imports.  If you are waiting until your visa arrives it may be worthwhile depending on exchange rates but we need to go out temporarily on the 600  to help when second grandchild is born and we have enough hassle without the complication of all the paperwork required for cars.  Having seen some of the very steep driveways and car park entrances in Oz we may well have to go for a 4x4 type vehicle with more ground clearance depending on where we end up.  Everyones circumstances are different just keep on researching while in this never ending queue!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SusieRoo said:

I reckon that new cars in Australia are cheaper than the equivalent cars in the UK, even taking into account the current poor exchange rate. We bought a new VW Golf and it was several thousand £ cheaper than we would have paid in the UK for an equivalent model.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bear2015 said:

Hi,

My parents have applied for a 173 Visa in Oct 2015 but wants to swap to a 143 visa now. Has anyone recently done a switch from 173 to 143? And will  they loose their place in the que?

Any advice wil be greatly appreciated.

We would also like to do same. All advise so far is, you end up at the back of the que (just as starting again) but this is not official. 

So I too would be very interested in any information.

We plan on asking immi directly when we get our case officer assigned.

I don't see why it should make any difference as all the forms and processes are the same. It's just the staged 2nd vac payment and the Aos

The good news is the 173 to 143 is normally completed in six months.

Hi.

I am now 22months into my CPV application, like many others at the time of application I was told it was 18-24months.  My only daughter is expecting her first baby in Jan, so with a view to getting a 600 I booked a one way flight for end of October, thinking this would give me a bit of leeway, before the CPV was granted. Only  to receive the news a couple of days later, that, processing time had gone up to 39months. I will have to rent out my house to finance the time I am unable to work.

I am very confused over the 600, can you apply for an extension, can you apply for a 3 month tourist visa? My son has applied for his 890(?) visa, so chances are he will be there in  Spring 18.  I will have nothing and no one to come back to UK for. 

Any commiserations, comments will be gratefully received!

Thanks

CPV 173 to 143

To follow up on my last post. Anyone know if you have to be on-shore to convert a 173 into a 143?

I assume we need to enter Australia once to officially trigger our 173. Can we then return to the uk and immediately apply for the 143?

30 minutes ago, michaleasmum said:

Hi.

I am now 22months into my CPV application, like many others at the time of application I was told it was 18-24months.  My only daughter is expecting her first baby in Jan, so with a view to getting a 600 I booked a one way flight for end of October, thinking this would give me a bit of leeway, before the CPV was granted. Only  to receive the news a couple of days later, that, processing time had gone up to 39months. I will have to rent out my house to finance the time I am unable to work.

I am very confused over the 600, can you apply for an extension, can you apply for a 3 month tourist visa? My son has applied for his 890(?) visa, so chances are he will be there in  Spring 18.  I will have nothing and no one to come back to UK for. 

Any commiserations, comments will be gratefully received!

Thanks

I am not an expert but this is what I understand.

The 600 visa is a tourist visa and there is nothing to stop you having a holiday, while waiting for your cpv. But it's important to be truthful when applying, so not to damage your cpv application.

Several contributors to this forum have successfully used 600 visas in their last few months of queuing for cpv.

It sounds like this would also be a suitable option for you. But it would probably be wise to take professional advise from someone like Alan Collet.

Edited by SusieRoo
  • Like 1