Guest guest36187

Hi

Well I am finally off next Thursday. I have not had the visa put in my passport and just wondered if anyone knows whether Singapore or Hong Kong (the plane will be stopping at either one of these on the way out) require you to have something visible in your passport. I am taking the grant letter with me.

I see there are lots of new names on the forum now - more people of to the good llife

best wishes moira

Guest Cathwotherspoon

Hi Moira

That's great news. As far as I am aware a visa sticker doesn't get put in passports now as everything is electronic and the airline will be able to check that you have a valid visa. Taking the grant letter of course is a good idea. Maybe someone else will be able to clarify. I am hoping that in the next 6 months I will be off myself - just about to put house on the market and cross fingers !!

Have a lovely new life in Australia.

Cath

Hi

Well I am finally off next Thursday. I have not had the visa put in my passport and just wondered if anyone knows whether Singapore or Hong Kong (the plane will be stopping at either one of these on the way out) require you to have something visible in your passport. I am taking the grant letter with me.

I see there are lots of new names on the forum now - more people of to the good llife

best wishes moira

G'Day Moira

Should be absolutely no problem; their computers should show your status. We were in the same situation; when we decided (for the sake of convenience and self-satisfaction!) to get stickers in Sydney, we found that they now charge (I think it was $70 each) as stickers are "unnecessary"!

Good luck with the journey and welcome to Oz!!

Mike

Hi

best wishes moira

Hi Moira

What good news. As the others have said it's all electonic now and the airports can see the visa when you pass through. All we did was take a few copies of our grant letter which came in useful when we validated our bank account and registered for Medicare etc. Good luck with everything! Angie

Thank you for the replies to my post. I feel reassured. I can't quite believe its happening, feel as if I am going on holiday. B it I will be glad when I get on that plane and the goodbyes are done. People ask if I am excited and I am sure I am but at the moment the goodbyes are uppermost.

everyone okraeveryone okra

Thank you for the replies to my post. I feel reassured. I can't quite believe its happening, feel as if I am going on holiday. B it I will be glad when I get on that plane and the goodbyes are done. People ask if I am excited and I am sure I am but at the moment the goodbyes are uppermost.

Oh Moira the goodbyes are so sad. I got upset and cried just thinking about it so you can imagine how I was when we actually had to say goodbye! You will be okay though and yes it does feel like you are going on holiday - still feels like that for us now even after nearly five months! Angie

Guest Cathwotherspoon

Hi everyone

I am hoping to get my medical done soon but my acknowledgement letter only gives a 'file reference No.' Is this what is referred to as a TRN No. My application was paper based so it will not be done via ehealth. I see that I should have a HAP ID - can anyone enlighten me as to what this is and how can I get one.

Thanks, Cath

Hi Everyone

Just want to ask a question to those of you who have already made the move.

Other than the ongoing medical problems I'm having ATM I've also got Arthritis (had it since I was 30 years old)

Do you find your health has improved either due to the warmer climate or new lifestyle? I would be interested to hear your honest views on this.

Phoebe

Good luck Moira - nearly there now. It still seems like a holiday to us 18 months in and we absolutely love it!

Bye the way Phoebe - our arthritic knees are so much better now - Clive plays bowls and I go to the gym and do aquaerobics. We even managed to go kayaking with the family last week (bit difficult getting out of the boat but managed OK )

I love the heat - even 10 day in a row of 34+! Autumn is on its way now with sunny 24 days and 16 nights. Glad we had gas ducted heating put in last winter.

MOV06001
Edited by jtct

Hi everyone

I am hoping to get my medical done soon but my acknowledgement letter only gives a 'file reference No.' Is this what is referred to as a TRN No. My application was paper based so it will not be done via ehealth. I see that I should have a HAP ID - can anyone enlighten me as to what this is and how can I get one.

Thanks, Cath

Hi Cath, we had our meds done earlier than asked as we felt if we were going to fail anything it would be that - we went to Maidenhead panel doctors and they did the paperwork using just the file number from the acknowledgement letter - all went well, and it was a relief (no reason to doubt our health, except hubby's blood pressure). However, about a month later we received a letter from DIAC requesting we get the meds and police checks done in preparation to getting a case officer in approximately 3-4 months time. This letter had the HAP ID on it. A TRN number is a Trade Recognition Number - this is if you are coming over on a skilled on demand Visa - so not us parents! So by the time we did get our CO she already had our meds and police check documents so there was no delay.

So, if I had known this request letter was coming, I would have waited for the HAP ID number. I think some panel doctors (like ours) can do your medical without it, but I believe some don't.

Hope this helps, Val

Hi Cath

My experience was that the Medical Centre I went to could not do it without the HAPD number (it was the centre in London). I had submitted a paper application to DIAS I do not know if that makes a difference. Given my time again I would phone around and find a centre that would do it early.

Best wishes Moira

Hi everyone

We submitted applications for a non-contributory parent visa last month.

I am just wondering if there is any way I can find out that they have been received? Our daughter forwarded the application forms and paid in Australia by money order.

I know its a looooooong wait ahead, but would really like to know when the clock will start ticking (however slowly !)

thanks.

Guest janej

Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone knows how some people are in aus for years on just an extended tourist visa, is it legal and If so how do you do it? We are thinking of applying for the new 3 year tourist visa as this seems to be our only way in to spend real quality time with our family, would be very greatful for any suggestions.

Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone knows how some people are in aus for years on just an extended tourist visa, is it legal and If so how do you do it? We are thinking of applying for the new 3 year tourist visa as this seems to be our only way in to spend real quality time with our family, would be very greatful for any suggestions.

Until now there has only been the one year tourist visa. I am not aware of anyone being able to stay legally in Australia on a succesion of tourist visas. The new 3 year visitor visa for parents of Australian permanent residents or citizens also has limitations. I understand that you have to leave Australia after 12 months and can only spend 12 in any 18 months in Australia. You will also need to take out private medical insurance. I think it is being offered so that parents don't have to keep applying for visitor visas to visit their offspring rather than a way of spending a protracted period in Australia. There is also the question of where you will live, it's fine if your offspring are willing to put you up for an extended period, but accommodation can be expensive and presumably you will need to keep on your house in the UK.

Edited by Linday

Hi I am new to all this. Applied for CPV 173 last July. Was told should hear about June this year. Can anyone tell me how they paid the large visa fee? Also I am in receipt of 4 small pensions here in the uk. How do I get these monthly sums transferred to Oz. I understand that they will be frozen but thats ok. Any advice will be helpfull. Thanks.

Thanks ZephynAndy and hi all.

I am hoping to get an acknowledgment of our 103 application from the parents visa centre in Perth soon. Unable to move at the moment but thought it would be a good idea to get our names on a list somewhere!

I really think that 2000 dollars should get you an acknowledgment of your application - and am all for 'serious chasing' if we havent heard after three months - however, what is the best way to go about this serious chasing? Does anyone have any experience of trying to find out whether or not their application has been received?

I would hate to be sitting here thinking we had sent in everything required only to find out in about six months that we had missed out a photograph or something, or worse, that they had never heard of us and some Australian mail thief was busily using all our information to clone our identities :-)

Any advice gratefully received.

Hi everyone

This is probably a silly question but how do you know if you've been allocated a CO ? I have had an email from PVC asking me to let them know when the AOS is completed and it's from a named person with a position number. Do I assume that's my CO and reply to her or do I just email the general PVC address?

Someone who's been through this before can probably help. Please ! I'm getting to the end of the process and afraid to put a foot wrong now !

Thanks, Grammie

Thanks ZephynAndy and hi all.

I am hoping to get an acknowledgment of our 103 application from the parents visa centre in Perth soon. Unable to move at the moment but thought it would be a good idea to get our names on a list somewhere!

I really think that 2000 dollars should get you an acknowledgment of your application - and am all for 'serious chasing' if we havent heard after three months - however, what is the best way to go about this serious chasing? Does anyone have any experience of trying to find out whether or not their application has been received?

I would hate to be sitting here thinking we had sent in everything required only to find out in about six months that we had missed out a photograph or something, or worse, that they had never heard of us and some Australian mail thief was busily using all our information to clone our identities :-)

Any advice gratefully received.

You could try emailing parents@immi.gov.au to see whether they can check for you.

Hi I am new to all this. Applied for CPV 173 last July. Was told should hear about June this year. Can anyone tell me how they paid the large visa fee? Also I am in receipt of 4 small pensions here in the uk. How do I get these monthly sums transferred to Oz. I understand that they will be frozen but thats ok. Any advice will be helpfull. Thanks.

Most people pay by transferring the money to their offspring in Australia using one of the foreign exchange companies such as HiFX. They can then get their bank to issue a bank draft which can be sent to the Parent Visa Centre You can also pay with a bank draft in pounds to Australia House in London, and it's worth checking whether this will work out cheaper as they only change their exchange rate every six months. We paid or VAC this way and saved some money, not a lot, but every little counts in this process.

With regard to the pensions, I am not sure they will all be frozen, but the State Pension certainly will. We get ours paid into our UK bank account and transfer money over as and when we need it using HiFX, That way we have some control over the exchange rate. You can ask for your state pension to be paid to your Australian Bank account, and some pension funds will also do this.

Most people pay by transferring the money to their offspring in Australia using one of the foreign exchange companies such as HiFX. They can then get their bank to issue a bank draft which can be sent to the Parent Visa Centre You can also pay with a bank draft in pounds to Australia House in London, and it's worth checking whether this will work out cheaper as they only change their exchange rate every six months. We paid or VAC this way and saved some money, not a lot, but every little counts in this process.

With regard to the pensions, I am not sure they will all be frozen, but the State Pension certainly will. We get ours paid into our UK bank account and transfer money over as and when we need it using HiFX, That way we have some control over the exchange rate. You can ask for your state pension to be paid to your Australian Bank account, and some pension funds will also do this.

...Or you or your offspring can pay by debit/credit card, with the advantage that you know it's been received as soon as it shows up on the appropriate account.

Mike

As per the information the average number of new Visa 143 applicants with effect from Jan 2013 is 150 per month. If this average continues then total number of 143 applicants during 2013 will be 1800 only. With introduction of 3 to 5 years tourist/family visa for parents in Visa 103 queue, I heard that many applicants in queue for 143 have switched over to 103. I am left wondering about the impact of all this on those who are still in queue for 143.Will it reduce the waiting time. One thing is clear that there is drastic fall in number of applicants for 143. Could it be because of GFC and rising AUD ? I would love to hear from others their take on this and their perspective on the situation. Queue link is given below. https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/qcalc/QDateAnswer.do