Guest guest36187

:cry:

Ar 7.30am yrsterday morning when I was checking my emails the one we all long for dropped into my inbox.....our CO had been appointed. It's taken 58 weeks from acknowledgement.

I've spoken to him about our situation basically asking if there was any leeway to postpone the application for 6 months but it seems not so we have had to withdraw the application, it has to be resubmitted (more $) and back to the

starting post.

Its good news for those who are waiting there's a CO free to be reassigned. :biggrin:

Im so gutted I feel like giving up altogether :cry: :cry:

Phoebe

Dear Phoebe, Very sorry that you are going to have to start again. We haven't sold our house yet either, but if we can't sell by the time our visas come I think we will just rent our house out and then rent in OZ until it does sell. We have been trying to get to our G/Daughters since they were 4 &5 and now they are 8&9. It drives you crazy after a while but don't give up. Ann and Roy Henry:hug:

Ar 7.30am yrsterday morning when I was checking my emails the one we all long for dropped into my inbox.....our CO had been appointed. It's taken 58 weeks from acknowledgement.

I've spoken to him about our situation basically asking if there was any leeway to postpone the application for 6 months but it seems not so we have had to withdraw the application, it has to be resubmitted (more $) and back to the

starting post.

Its good news for those who are waiting there's a CO free to be reassigned. :biggrin:

Phoebe

Sounds rotten Phoebe, sorry. It doesn't mean you can't visit though, and in a couple of years it might be a bit cheaper. Might.

Not much solace there I'm sure.

Steve

starting post.

Phoebe

So sorry to read your post Phoebe, it has taken 6yrs for me to get my application in with one thing and another over the years, now my papers are in everything has gone dire over here as you know with the house market, exchange rate etc..... after my divorce many years ago i cashed in an endowment and never touched it incase of emergency with house etc.... at the moment it's just covering the cost of the visa, i will try to sell the house but i don't hold much hope of that as the ones for sale near me haven't moved in many months. Don't give up hope on your dream, with any luck the exchange rate/ housing market will pick up again when it's right for you to lodge again. I had an application refused in 2005 because of an oversight by the agents i used, my son was not a permanent resident at the time, i thought my world had ended i was so gutted, but here i am 6yrs later trying again....... it will happen for you Phoebe.

Guest chameleon

Hi

Has anybody shipped a car to Oz? I wondered if anyone has what was your experience of this? Do you think it was worth it. My husband has a special motor (well to him it is) one that it is not possible to get in OZ. Can a car and furniture be shipped together?

So many questions hope someone can help.

Thanks to anyone with info.

Hi

Has anybody shipped a car to Oz? I wondered if anyone has what was your experience of this? Do you think it was worth it. My husband has a special motor (well to him it is) one that it is not possible to get in OZ. Can a car and furniture be shipped together?

I was told you can ship your car in a container and pack stuff around it? But i guess if your taking house contents you will require 2 containers. I believe it's expensive but worth it if it's hubby's toy :unsure: sure you will get some possitive answers. Ann

Sounds rotten Phoebe, sorry. It doesn't mean you can't visit though, and in a couple of years it might be a bit cheaper. Might.

Not much solace there I'm sure.

Steve

Sorry Steve I should have asked you to take me off the tracker :frown:

Can't even think straight just now :swoon:

Phoebe

Hi

Hi

You can't ship a car and furniture together.

I do have some info a member kindly sent to me. If you can give me a few days I will PM it to you.

Phoebe

Guest chameleon
Hi

I do have some info a member kindly sent to me. If you can give me a few days I will PM it to you.

Phoebe

That would be brilliant Phoebe thanks.

Whenever is convenient to you is fine with me, i can't imagine where your head is at the moment but i am sure it will work out in the end.

Good luck

starting post.

Phoebe

how devastating. I am so sorry and I hope you dont give up.

Moira

:huh:

Hi, i am using an agent for my visa , think i was quoted $37,900 managed to lodge before july so missed the increase in price....i think........and hope!! works out around 23-24 thousand pounds by todays exchange rate. I think thats right as i try to put everything to the back of my mind while waiting for a CO otherwise this visa is on my mind 24/7. Although not a day goes by i don't log onto here to read up on everyones news, good or sad. It really is a rollercoaster ride for everyone. Ann :eek:

Hi Ann, thanks for that. Where are you heading in Aus. I find this site very good too, but as you say its nerve wracking waiting, and I log in every day to see if there is anything new. I hope that when you are acknowledged that it means when the money is increased it will not be relevant if you have already applied. Best of luck to you.

:huh: I hope that when you are acknowledged that it means when the money is increased it will not be relevant if you have already applied. .

Yes you are right, whatever the cost of the visa when you first lodge it - that is what you pay - depending on the exchange rate at the time, sometimes it is better to pay through the Australian Commission. They set their rate every six months. Have a look at this link:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/converter.htm

Julie

Hi

Phoebe

I believe your info is incorrect. :wubclub:

If anyone wants more information go to the Forum button at the top of the page and look for the transport and shipping thread, lots of information there on shipping your car and approx how much it will cost and also how it can share a 40ft container with the rest of your stuff. :shocked:

It's not a cheap thing to do but when you see the price of 2nd hand cars here you may think it could work out.

You must have owned the car for 12 months before it can be shipped.

Les

lots of information there on shipping your car and approx how much it will cost and also how it can share a 40ft container with the rest of your stuff. :shocked:

Les

I was told by another member it had to be sent seperatly he also sent me the info on how to do it :swoon:

I'm not having a good week :wideeyed: I'm going to bed......:confused:

Phoebe

Just to throw something else into the melting pot....a friend in England sent me a long email about how she was now having to store a Bentley on her drive because, in her words her friend:

"found that the Australian authorities would not accept the Bentley as it was two months over the manufacture time limit for importing old cars into Australia."

It is a 1989 one, he has now had to put it on eBay.

G'Day all

Does anyone have any idea how long the "upgrade" from a 173 to a 143 visa takes? The only person on Steve's tracker to have done (and recorded) this is jmm100uk, who last year seemed to take three months to get a CO, then several months more to complete.

Does anyone have any more recent news?

We're planning to go out to Sydney for the summer in early December, validating our 173s as we enter; then pretty well immediately apply for the permanent 143s. We're then returning to the UK in March to put our flat on the market, but it would be good to have the 143s under our belt, as it were.

Mike

G'Day

To answer my own question (in case others are in the same position), I just received an email from Perth saying that getting a CO for the 173>143 upgrade takes "at least six months".

We'll see.

Mike

Just to throw something else into the melting pot....a friend in England sent me a long email about how she was now having to store a Bentley on her drive because, in her words her friend:

"found that the Australian authorities would not accept the Bentley as it was two months over the manufacture time limit for importing old cars into Australia."

It is a 1989 one, he has now had to put it on eBay.

G'Day

Don't take this as gospel, but I was told once that matters differ from state to state (since it's state governments that register and licence cars). I think I was told that QLD and WA are the "easiest", and NSW among the awkward squad.

A friend – an ex-Kiwi Aussie who has a second home in London – was recently planning to export his UK-based motorhome to NZ, since it was difficult/impossible into NSW. But in the end he gave up on the whole plan as too difficult/expensive. (And this was someone who twice – once in his 60s – drove the same 1959 VW Beetle from London to India, en route for Oz; so he is not one to give up easily!)

What happens if you import into one, and later take it "interstate" I have no idea.

So do make further inquiries.

Good luck, Mike

G'Day

To answer my own question (in case others are in the same position), I just received an email from Perth saying that getting a CO for the 173>143 upgrade takes "at least six months".

We'll see.

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. Did Perth happen to say when you have to begin the application? If the 173 is valid for two years, should we begin the 173 to 143 process six months before the time is up or can we take it to the limit and then apply?

I think I may have to send an email too! Soo many questions...............

Regards, Val

:huh:

Hi Ann, thanks for that. Where are you heading in Aus. I find this site very good too, but as you say its nerve wracking waiting, and I log in every day to see if there is anything new. I hope that when you are acknowledged that it means when the money is increased it will not be relevant if you have already applied. Best of luck to you.

Hiya, i am heading to Perth as i have a son over there, i have a rough idea were i want to settle so thats half the battle and will continue in the care profession as i have worked in aged care for over 20yrs, although i have a couple of nurse friends in perth who are giving me ideas of work in different areas of Healthcare, you have to take courses for these which arn't cheap but the certificate is required as with most trades in OZ. A friend once told me you need a certificate to break wind in oz :laugh: I have a daughter who is married and although she loved perth on her visit her hubby does not want to leave his family so they have decided to stay here, it is a big wrench but i have decided to do this for me as i nursed both my parents for 12yrs fitting work in aswell which left no time for me, don't regret those 12yrs for one minute but the years are passing to quickly so i have decided to have my adventure while i am fit enough and young enough to enjoy....... my daughter has promised to visit yearly. Think my job may be going next year so hope it's after i get my visa. Can't wait for the start of next year to feel one step closer. I have picked up on so much on here, if it wasn't for a post i read on pets i wouldn't have known a Rabies vaccine will be required for all dogs/cats entering oz from January, had my 2 pooches vaccinated last month they have blood test on 1st Nov.

:animal-dog::animal-dog: Forgot to ask, where abouts are you heading to in OZ ? Ann

Guest patricia107

Hi I just posted a question but it seems to have disappeared, not very computer savey so sorry if its there twice.

Contributory 143 visa put in and acknowledged may 2011 so won't be done until at least Sept next year.

We decided to put house on market and it sold in three weeks (this is a good thing!), we thought we would go out to Australia and hope this is possible.

We have previously been out on an UD/976 visa visitor (short), the wording of which says period of stay 3 months with multiple entry, it was issued 23 jun o9 and had authority to enter australia valid to 23 June 2010 (this is an old visa I am looking at but it looks as though you can stay for a year as long as you go out of Australia every three months. Our son lives in New Zealand so we would be able to go and see him every three months and then come back into Sydney.

The questions are:

1. Can we use a new UK/976 visa for the above purpose? And do we have to inform the travel agents we have the 143 in progress?

2. Do we need to get a visa issued in UK for our entries into New Zealand?

3. Do we have to inform DIAC, we do not have a CO yet, its such early days?

4. Is there any other way of doing this (apart from staying in England!) we don't want to have any problems with the Australian immigration at any point?

Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thank you. Patricia

Thanks for the info Mike. Did Perth happen to say when you have to begin the application? If the 173 is valid for two years, should we begin the 173 to 143 process six months before the time is up or can we take it to the limit and then apply?

I think I may have to send an email too! Soo many questions...............

Regards, Val

G'Day Val

Sorry, I didn't ask that, as we have decided to go for the 143 straight away – before there any further fee increases. So we'll file the application soon after we reach Sydney in December.

You'd better ask, but I would have thought you'd be OK so long as you get the application in before the two-year deadline. Also, I'm not sure whether you might have to re-do police checks etc if it's more than 12 months.

Good luck, Mike

Hiya, i am heading to Perth as i have a son over there, i have a rough idea were i want to settle so thats half the battle and will continue in the care profession as i have worked in aged care for over 20yrs, although i have a couple of nurse friends in perth who are giving me ideas of work in different areas of Healthcare, you have to take courses for these which arn't cheap but the certificate is required as with most trades in OZ. A friend once told me you need a certificate to break wind in oz :laugh: I have a daughter who is married and although she loved perth on her visit her hubby does not want to leave his family so they have decided to stay here, it is a big wrench but i have decided to do this for me as i nursed both my parents for 12yrs fitting work in aswell which left no time for me, don't regret those 12yrs for one minute but the years are passing to quickly so i have decided to have my adventure while i am fit enough and young enough to enjoy....... my daughter has promised to visit yearly. Think my job may be going next year so hope it's after i get my visa. Can't wait for the start of next year to feel one step closer. I have picked up on so much on here, if it wasn't for a post i read on pets i wouldn't have known a Rabies vaccine will be required for all dogs/cats entering oz from January, had my 2 pooches vaccinated last month they have blood test on 1st Nov.

:animal-dog::animal-dog: Forgot to ask, where abouts are you heading to in OZ ? Ann

HI Ann, am heading to Brisbane, my son lives there. I'm fairly nervous about it cos I will be going alone. I have applied for the 173 because its cheaper, hope to earn enough when I get there to go for the 143 and also to see how I settle. I feel the same way about next year, once its 2012 the time will be coming closer.

Fran.

G'Day Val

Sorry, I didn't ask that, as we have decided to go for the 143 straight away – before there any further fee increases. So we'll file the application soon after we reach Sydney in December.

You'd better ask, but I would have thought you'd be OK so long as you get the application in before the two-year deadline. Also, I'm not sure whether you might have to re-do police checks etc if it's more than 12 months.

Good luck, Mike

Hi Mike, We are perhaps another three years away from being there full time. My husbands business is doing well again now so it would be silly to end it all at the mo. We wont have much earning potential once we make the move so we`re staying here for now and wintering over there in the meantime. House sales are still stagnant in this area so another reason to hang fire.

I kind of knew that police checks would need to be re-done and I wont be unduly surprised if meds will need doing again too!

Its only money!! Cant compare to a hug and a snuggle with a snoozing babe!

Good luck with your move

Val

Yes you are right, whatever the cost of the visa when you first lodge it - that is what you pay - depending on the exchange rate at the time, sometimes it is better to pay through the Australian Commission. They set their rate every six months. Have a look at this link:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/converter.htm

Julie

Thanks for that Julie, I tried that link and it doesn't give Ireland as an option to where you are sending the money from. Do you mean the exchange rate on the day that I got acknowledged, if so it was the 20th September 2012. Sorry to be wrecking your head.

Fran.:mad:

HI Ann, am heading to Brisbane, my son lives there. I'm fairly nervous about it cos I will be going alone. I have applied for the 173 because its cheaper, hope to earn enough when I get there to go for the 143 and also to see how I settle. I feel the same way about next year, once its 2012 the time will be coming closer.

Fran.

I am going alone too Fran so i know how you feel, maybe when you get there put a thread up on here to meet people in your area, trouble is i find most of the folk going are younger not many in there 50s, think you just have to push yourself out your comfort zone and make yourself go to any functions that come your way. Keep in touch on anything going on. Ann