Guest guest36187

Just a little word of warning about registering for Medicare when you are validating your visa. Do make sure that you are registering as a tourist and not as a soon to be resident. You have just a year from registering with Medicare as a resident to take out private medical insurance at a discounted rate. We very nearly fell into this trap.

Cath

Hmmm…

Are you sure? I thought it was a year from permanent residence.

Mike

As sure as I can be since the letter we received from Medicare to pass on to our chosen insurance company gave the date exactly 1 year from when we registered.

Thanks.

I have a suspicious mind about the efficiency of Medicare staff, so it might be worth double-checking – a lot of money at stake, potentially (ie, the difference between age-30 premium and age-whatever).

Mike

Just a little word of warning about registering for Medicare when you are validating your visa. Do make sure that you are registering as a tourist and not as a soon to be resident. You have just a year from registering with Medicare as a resident to take out private medical insurance at a discounted rate. We very nearly fell into this trap.

Cath

I was told by Medicare that if you register as a tourist under the reciprocal health agreement you are not fully covered, eg. at a hospital you are only covered for outpatient treatment and not for inpatient treatment so if possible you do need travel/health insurance.

But there are also some outpatient treatments which can mean a overnight stay in the hospital without being admitted as an impatient.

David

I was told by Medicare that if you register as a tourist under the reciprocal health agreement you are not fully covered, eg. at a hospital you are only covered for outpatient treatment and not for inpatient treatment so if possible you do need travel/health insurance.

But there are also some outpatient treatments which can mean a overnight stay in the hospital without being admitted as an impatient.

David

Also, you are OK for "emergencies" as a tourist, but not for "elective" procedures.

I'm not quite sure what the the situation is for Temporary Residents – eg, 173 visa holders (like us) before upgrading to the full 143.

Mike

Thanks.

I have a suspicious mind about the efficiency of Medicare staff, so it might be worth double-checking – a lot of money at stake, potentially (ie, the difference between age-30 premium and age-whatever).

Mike

I know there's definately a lot of money at stake but we scraped in by the skin of our teeth and purchased insurance on the last possible date.

Hmmm…

Are you sure? I thought it was a year from permanent residence.

Mike

I believe it's one year from first registration Mike.

(later that day...)

The brochure is here: http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/assets/lhcbrochures/lhcenglish.pdf

and the relevant text is:

As a new migrant to Australia you do not have to pay a LHC loading if you take out hospital cover within 12 months of being registered for Medicare. After this time

you have to pay a LHC loading of 2% more for each year you are aged over 30 when you take out hospital cover.[/Quote]

I am using an Agent and received my acknowledgement letter via post in July, it stated i was acknowledged 28th June 2011 but they were still processing applications lodged 20th May 2010 , i don't expect to hear anything about a case officer until next April at the earliest, but it would be lovely to hear sooner though, could be the kick up the bum i need to get this house in order to sell or rent. Ann

Thank you for replying. It seems that people who have their acknolegement letters from August/September have the infomation that all the applications froms June 2011 already allocated to c/os.

I wish this is true, I actually wish they do it faster, 6 ms waiting only! my mum is 70 and living alone in Vietnam.

Any more infomation to confirm (or exclude) the fact is greatfull.

Hi Everyone

Ive been following this thread quite closely but not had anything to contribute as yet.

But i do have a dilemma which i would appreciate some advise on.

My parents are "Imbrioscia" on the CPV tracker - they were allocated a case officer 04/10/2011.

we were told to arrange AOS. called up centrelink to find out the procedures to do so, etc.

My Husbands parents are also awaiting a case officer. On the tracker as "Grant" (they should be due a CO any day now too. So my question to centrelink was whether my husband could sponsor AOS to both sets of parents as you need to be employed (im just a stay at home mum - i dont qualify to sponsor). Centrelink have said NO! he can only sponsor 1 applicant at a time within the 10 year period that the AOS is held for.....! We dont have any other family here that are permanant residents or citizens that can do this. I have a brother who is in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa (non resident) - not sure whta this means for us now.

Can anyone say they have sponsored more than one set of parent/parents within 10 year?

Is this an unlucky phone call to centrelink to someone who doesnt actually have the right answers?

Hi Everyone

Ive been following this thread quite closely but not had anything to contribute as yet.

My parents are "Imbrioscia" on the CPV tracker - they were allocated a case officer 04/10/2011.

we were told to arrange AOS. called up centrelink to find out the procedures to do so, etc.

My Husbands parents are also awaiting a case officer. On the tracker as "Grant" (they should be due a CO any day now too. So my question to centrelink was whether my husband could sponsor AOS to both sets of parents as you need to be employed (im just a stay at home mum - i dont qualify to sponsor). Centrelink have said NO! he can only sponsor 1 applicant at a time within the 10 year period that the AOS is held for.....! We dont have any other family here that are permanant residents or citizens that can do this. I have a brother who is in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa (non resident) - not sure whta this means for us now.

Can anyone say they have sponsored more than one set of parent/parents within 10 year?

Is this an unlucky phone call to centrelink to someone who doesnt actually have the right answers?

Could be. For one thing you need to separate the concept of sponsorship from Assurance of Support. The former is a function of DIAC, the latter of Centrelink. So direct questions about sponsorship to DIAC. If that's resolved to your satisfaction (and I don't know the rules) you then have the question of who is to be the Assurer for the second set of parents.

I hope others can comment with more authority.

Cheers

Steve

After a frantic fortnight of packing up, parties, goodbyes, house and car selling, staying with friends and living out of a suitcase........:chatterbox: WE HAVE SET FOOT IN THE PROMISED LAND. We arrived yesterday on the 5th anniversary of my daughter's arrival and are happily settling into our new life in Adelaide.

Off to sort out Bank, Tax, Medicare, Seniors Card etc in the next few days and have already planned a few 'opens' for the weekend! The adventure has begun (shame we left 30 degrees and blue skies in Surrey and arrived to 16 and rain in Australia):biglaugh:

Can't believe we're finally here (probably never to return to the UK) and living the dream. Good luck to all on the journey, your time will soon come and 'g'day mate' to all those already here who have helped us along the way.:wink:

That’s excellent, a very warm welcome and best wishes for your settling-in period. It sounds like you are committed and that really helps.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Everyone

My understanding is that you can ask an organisation to act as a sponsor for your parents. Like a chirstian can ask the church to do so....

However what if your husband's income is very high?

Anyway, good luck to your parents and your husband's parent.

My understanding is that you can ask an organisation to act as a sponsor for your parents. Like a chirstian can ask the church to do so....

I meant as an assurer.

Hi Everyone

G'Day

As Steve has said, you have to separate Sponsorship (which the parents have to include in the original application for a 143 or 173; and is a DIAC matter) and AoS (which is down to Centrelink). In fact your post makes it clear that you appreciate this – it's just the use of the term "Sponsor" that confuses the matter.

If necessary (and if possible), you can have a whole team jointly acting as Assurers – and they don't have to be the same people (or include the same people) as the Sponsors (which virtually by definition for a 143 or 173 have to be the offspring). I hope that you can find people to do this.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I meant as an assurer.

Have a look at this link:

http://www.fahcsia.gov.au/guides_acts/ssg/ssguide-9/ssguide-9.4/ssguide-9.4.3/ssguide-9.4.3.30.html

I am not sure if this helps, but I was under the impression that if you earned enough then there was not limit to the number of people you could act as Assurer to. The people at DIAC may not always know the right answer.

After a frantic fortnight of packing up, parties, goodbyes, house and car selling, staying with friends and living out of a suitcase........:chatterbox: WE HAVE SET FOOT IN THE PROMISED LAND. We arrived yesterday on the 5th anniversary of my daughter's arrival and are happily settling into our new life in Adelaide.

Off to sort out Bank, Tax, Medicare, Seniors Card etc in the next few days and have already planned a few 'opens' for the weekend! The adventure has begun (shame we left 30 degrees and blue skies in Surrey and arrived to 16 and rain in Australia):biglaugh:

Can't believe we're finally here (probably never to return to the UK) and living the dream. Good luck to all on the journey, your time will soon come and 'g'day mate' to all those already here who have helped us along the way.:wink:

Welcome to Oz- congratulations - just think summer is on its way!

Thanks.

Mike

We have just sorted out our private medical and had to get a letter of eligibility from Medicare for the Lifetime Loading exception - our year started the day we arrived and validated our Visa and took up permanent residence. We registered with medicare as PRs about a week or two later.

The AoS workaround is to set up a Pty Limited to act as an Assurer - albeit with a higher AoS Bond payable.

Surprisingly (to me at least) the Pty Limited doesn't even need to be actively trading.

Anyone interested in progressing an AoS via this means should feel able to contact me.

Best regards.

Could be. For one thing you need to separate the concept of sponsorship from Assurance of Support. The former is a function of DIAC, the latter of Centrelink. So direct questions about sponsorship to DIAC. If that's resolved to your satisfaction (and I don't know the rules) you then have the question of who is to be the Assurer for the second set of parents.

I hope others can comment with more authority.

Cheers

Steve

Yes i realise now that "sponsor" is not the correct word. My Question should have been more on the lines of....Can my husband be assurer to to both sets of parents who are on 2 seperate CPV application lodged on the same day?

Will not use the term "sponsor" again when reffering to AOS. :) lesson learnt.

Thanks

Yes i have managed to look further into the organistion as Assurer. Altho the Organistation i want o use is a business tha is owned by my father. So this raises a few more complicated question too.

So for the moment still on the hunt for an assurer. 28 days is teh time period inwhich they give to sort all this out. Out first it seemed like a piece of cake, but now like not enough time.

Thanks for your comment

G'Day

As Steve has said, you have to separate Sponsorship (which the parents have to include in the original application for a 143 or 173; and is a DIAC matter) and AoS (which is down to Centrelink). In fact your post makes it clear that you appreciate this – it's just the use of the term "Sponsor" that confuses the matter.

If necessary (and if possible), you can have a whole team jointly acting as Assurers – and they don't have to be the same people (or include the same people) as the Sponsors (which virtually by definition for a 143 or 173 have to be the offspring). I hope that you can find people to do this.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Im just not convinced that anyone would be up for it. Altho my parent sare well and truelly financially quite comfortable they wouldnt actually need one. And to someone else it seems like a big responsibility.

But i am trying desperatelthany. So i'll have to ask a few friends. not sure how that will go down, seeing as tho everyone has their own finacial struggles. Something like this would seem like quite a commitment.The fuuny thing is like most of us i think, my parents are actually providing the $14,000.

Any

Yes i have managed to look further into the organistion as Assurer. Altho the Organistation i want o use is a business tha is owned by my father. So this raises a few more complicated question too.

<snip>

Note that the organisation must be in Australia ... you can't use a UK business for this purpose.

A Pty Limited can be formed within 1 business day if needs be.

Best regards.

Note that the organisation must be in Australia ... you can't use a UK business for this purpose.

A Pty Limited can be formed within 1 business day if needs be.

Best regards.

Thanks for your advise. Perhaps you could shed more light on this.

So..... this is the situation.

The Business is a (pty)Ltd. company in Australia to which at the moment my father is in a 50% partnership. As of 31 Octber he will be sole owner. The other 50% is owned by the seller who is trading under a differnt business name.

The directors are myself and my Father only.

I am not earning an income from the business (I've been made director more for convenience sake as i am in Australia, and I know there are minimun income requirements to be met for an individual to be the Assurer).

The business is currently being managed by the seller.

Would it be better to ask the seller to be assurer, Or would i qualify to be Assurer on behald of the organisation (the complication being that the Organisation is actually part owned by my father).

One last thing does it matter whether the Assurer actually leaves the country permannetly during the 10 year period?

Thanks for listening