Guest guest36187

On 26/06/2020 at 17:21, LindaH27 said:

At the moment, because of the size of the queue and the fact  that all applications for visas are dealt with in strict date order,  it’s taking about the same length of time to get 173 as it is to get 143 but as it’s only valid for two years there’s a further wait as you then have to  apply for 143. Although the payment is split into two the total cost is actually more when adding together the costs for 173 and then subsequent 143. 

So  it takes longer and costs more to get full PR. There’s not much point in going for 173 now  actually ! 

Hi Linda it is very quick at the moment - see my timeline

1 hour ago, Marilyn said:

Are you in Australia now?

Yes we arrived 2 Jan and now live in Port Macquarie. I’ve got a job as a receptionist in a medical centre, but hubby has suffered from effects of corona virus on the hospitality sector and has lost 2 jobs so far!  Oh well, daughter has loaned us. Only so he can get a boat ....keeps him sane?  Hope you are all well down in Sydney....sadly not much travel allowed at the mo!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marilyn said:

Hi Linda it is very quick at the moment - see my timeline

@Marilyn To be honest I think the only reason is because of Covid! They are being very slow granting  off shore applications for 173 and 143  but obviously currently being onshore means it’s a lot easier to deal with those first. They are also granting further 600 visas very quickly to people Onshore whose visitor visas are running out but who can’t leave because of the pandemic. 

Home affairs  recently said every visa should be dealt with in strict date order and that,  in order to adhere to that, some applications may have to wait longer to allow parity on dates  However due to Covid  I suspect matters may have changed!!

Im only guessing about all this but I seem to remember there have been a couple of recent posts where people offshore have actually paid the second Vac for 143 yet are still waiting months later for the actual grant! 

It’s a very difficult situation for everybody during this pandemic. The closure of the borders until at least mid 2021 ( from what I’ve read) and the fact that even those with PR and citizenship are still havIng problems actually being able to re-enter Australia means no one can really know when they can roughly expect their application to be heard. 

The online queue calculator had a beta version  recently where people could put in their visa number ie 173 and 143 contributory, not just 103 and 804 non contributory.  It did disappear very quickly a couple of weeks later at the very beginning of June. But it was interesting that for my June 2017 143 application, It told me that 22900 people from my grouping of 173 and 143 Applicants  were in front of me! So I’ve already waited over three years and at 6000 grants a year it’s going to take nearly  another  4 years to get through those 22900 people and that’s assuming Covid doesn’t add to that wait time! 

Edited by LindaH27

9 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

Hi

on your visa grant does it say “resident”. Or have you checked your VEVO account to see yr status?

thanks!

Hi Kathss56,

Couldn't find the word 'resident' on our visas.  However, our VIVOs say 'RESIDENT" in Visa description and 'Permanent resident' in Visa type.  We just not too sure to travel now.  Maybe wait a little bit longer and make a move when things are a little easier in Melbourne.

Yours are very close to the visa grant.  Hope you get yours soon.  Good luck!

12 minutes ago, AlwaysVet said:

Hi Kathss56,

Couldn't find the word 'resident' on our visas.  However, our VIVOs say 'RESIDENT" in Visa description and 'Permanent resident' in Visa type.  We just not too sure to travel now.  Maybe wait a little bit longer and make a move when things are a little easier in Melbourne.

Yours are very close to the visa grant.  Hope you get yours soon.  Good luck!

Many thanks, yes I hope so. Only problem being I’m onshore 🤨

• Like 1

I must say I am very impressed with AOS my daughter submitted the application yesterday and received the phone interview today. They sent her an sms to say they would be calling her today from an unknown number. Didn't ask any questions just told her what being an assurer was.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marilyn said:

I must say I am very impressed with AOS my daughter submitted the application yesterday and received the phone interview today. They sent her an sms to say they would be calling her today from an unknown number. Didn't ask any questions just told her what being an assurer was.

Hopefully you’ll be asked for the money soon 😊😎

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rosiejaq said:

Hopefully you’ll be asked for the money soon 😊😎

They told her to check her mygov account every day so here is hoping its soon.  I can't wait to be a PR and not do this for a long long long time till  5 years then its citizenship.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Marilyn said:

They told her to check her mygov account every day so here is hoping its soon.  I can't wait to be a PR and not do this for a long long long time till  5 years then its citizenship.

Marilyn check the wait time for citizenship I think it’s 4 years including one on PR?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for this link Linda 17th december means probably too that flights will be few  and far between for Christmas with the family, and any there are will be horrendously expensive no doubt.  I have resigned myself to the fact it may be next xmas bedore we can see the family again.