Guest guest36187

We noticed this last month and asked our emigration agent about it, only to be told that they are completely different visas! However, apart from one being on shore and the other off shore, they appear to be identical! Both are also given 2-4 years processing time on Immi web page!

Regards Geoff & Gill

Thanks Geoff & Gill. That's what surprises me too, the fact that the processing time is the the same on the website for both 143 and 864 visa categories. My concern is , What if 7000 864s apply in a particular month? Will they take up all that years Visa Allotments? This is stressing me out.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics ...

75% of applications processed in 32 months can conceal a number of outcomes and issues.

Thinking I should perhaps resurrect that old parent visa processing spreadsheet so UK citizens seeking CP visas can get a better feel for their specific cohort of applications.

Best regards.

• Like 1

Lies, damn lies, and statistics ...

75% of applications processed in 32 months can conceal a number of outcomes and issues.

Thinking I should perhaps resurrect that old parent visa processing spreadsheet so UK citizens seeking CP visas can get a better feel for their specific cohort of applications.

Best regards.

Well that doesn't really help at all other than we should ​be processed, maybe, by around September(ish)......probably.....!!!:err:

Anything you can do to help will be much appreciated by all of us frustrated parents on here Alan:smile:

I think that's a very good idea Alan, and so much more useful to have the dates of what is currently being processed. And is that 32 months or applications submitted now or does that apply to everything regardless of application date.

I agree and hope someone out there can shed some light on this, if we continue moving at one day per month this waiting room is going to be overcrowded.

Hi everyone

I have now joined the band of "fed ups", feeling that my application to join my family is getting nowhere. In Dec 2015 I applied for the 143 visa, hoping to be able to benefit from being able to spend time with my grandchildren while they were still young, but at the rate the visa processing is going, the youngest will have started school by the time I get there! i'm also looking to move on my own as I was widowed 2 years ago and want to be able to pick up my life in Australia where BOTH my children live. Is anyone else in this position, moving singly? Most comments I read on this forum appear to be from couples. It would be good to make contact with others who are in similar circumstances.

Anyway, at the moment I feel in limbo land so am now starting to investigate temporary visas to allow me to move over early whilst waiting for my 143 application to be processed. Can anyone advise me what is the best way? I'm thinking the 600 visa, or maybe I am better waiting for the new temporary visa for parents which is coming up in July. Just don't know which would be the best way to go, particularly as I wont want to join another long queueing process. I partly wonder whether the long delays with the CPV are being orchestrated to encourage people in the currently 143/173 queues to redirect down this new temporary parent visa path.

Any advice greatfully received!

Hi everyone

I have now joined the band of "fed ups", feeling that my application to join my family is getting nowhere. In Dec 2015 I applied for the 143 visa, hoping to be able to benefit from being able to spend time with my grandchildren while they were still young, but at the rate the visa processing is going, the youngest will have started school by the time I get there! i'm also looking to move on my own as I was widowed 2 years ago and want to be able to pick up my life in Australia where BOTH my children live. Is anyone else in this position, moving singly? Most comments I read on this forum appear to be from couples. It would be good to make contact with others who are in similar circumstances.

Anyway, at the moment I feel in limbo land so am now starting to investigate temporary visas to allow me to move over early whilst waiting for my 143 application to be processed. Can anyone advise me what is the best way? I'm thinking the 600 visa, or maybe I am better waiting for the new temporary visa for parents which is coming up in July. Just don't know which would be the best way to go, particularly as I wont want to join another long queueing process. I partly wonder whether the long delays with the CPV are being orchestrated to encourage people in the currently 143/173 queues to redirect down this new temporary parent visa path.

Hello, we are a couple in our late 60s, who are using an emigration agent. Only a few weeks ago, we contacted them and asked advice on the same problem i.e. 600 visa whilst waiting for 143. We were advised that it was very risky to go out without a return flight and that if you go out with the intention to remain , it could put the 143 at risk of cancellation. Needless to say this worried us and we decided against it. We assume our agent had our best interests at heart as they have already been paid and don't have any ulterior motive.

We also have two married children living in Oz. We keep saying to our grandchildren, one soon to be 8 and one soon to be 5 , that we'll be there in the next few months. Since then we visited last Aug/Sept when our new grandchild was born, and are going again this June/July for her first birthday. As you say, totally fed up, and wishing your life away.All we can do is wait!

Regards Geoff & Gill

Hi everyone

Hi Yes I am moving on my own, whenever that will be!! Struggling whether to sell house and do 12mth visa whilst waiting, don't really want to rent it out with all the problems that could arise with that plus tax to sort on the rental income etc .

Not sure how long you would have to be offshore for visa grant. People mention nipping to NZ for a day!!??

My daughter was planning a family around my move. With Looking like 2.8yrs at the moment! Think she might have to go it alone!

Edited by Kathss56

Hello, we are a couple in our late 60s, who are using an emigration agent. Only a few weeks ago, we contacted them and asked advice on the same problem i.e. 600 visa whilst waiting for 143. We were advised that it was very risky to go out without a return flight and that if you go out with the intention to remain , it could put the 143 at risk of cancellation. Needless to say this worried us and we decided against it. We assume our agent had our best interests at heart as they have already been paid and don't have any ulterior motive.

We also have two married children living in Oz. We keep saying to our grandchildren, one soon to be 8 and one soon to be 5 , that we'll be there in the next few months. Since then we visited last Aug/Sept when our new grandchild was born, and are going again this June/July for her first birthday. As you say, totally fed up, and wishing your life away.All we can do is wait!

Regards Geoff & Gill

I'm pretty sure lots on here have done a 12 month visa whilst waiting. It is usually just as cheap to book a return flight even if you don't use it. I know you have to be offshore when visa granted but not sure how long for etc.,

Thanks for your two replies Kath and good to know that I'm not the only single. Maybe we should set up our own support group, though I'll have to investigate how to do that! I also am reluctant to rent out my house as having done this before I found it just wasn't worth it, but then selling up (if I only have a temporary visa) is such a big step!

Hi Yes I am moving on my own, whenever that will be!! Struggling whether to sell house and do 12mth visa whilst waiting, don't really want to rent it out with all the problems that could arise with that plus tax to sort on the rental income etc .

Not sure how long you would have to be offshore for visa grant. People mention nipping to NZ for a day!!??

My daughter was planning a family around my move. With Looking like 2.8yrs at the moment! Think she might have to go it alone!

Regards Geoff & Gill

Thanks for your reply Geoff and Gill, though what your agent has said leaves me even more confused. I'm sure there are lots of people on this forum who have gone out on a 600 class visa. In the discussion document on the new temporary visa it even says that parents who have applied for a permanent visa can apply for a 2 year or even a 5 year 600 class visa, whilst waiting for their other one to be processed. Also it refers to it on the Immi site but I haven't been able to find any clear information. Yes, it's clearly a risk, but I'm now thinking it's a risk worth taking. I can't see how the 143 could be cancelled. I think we are all in need of more information here, preferably from those with experience. Help please!

Thanks for your two replies Kath and good to know that I'm not the only single. Maybe we should set up our own support group, though I'll have to investigate how to do that! I also am reluctant to rent out my house as having done this before I found it just wasn't worth it, but then selling up (if I only have a temporary visa) is such a big step!

I know it's a risk, and has anyone ever had a 143 visa refused for some reason ! ? I am well, have passed balance of family test. No criminal record haha. So here's hoping!

Hi Angela

My husband and I stayed for nearly 2 years on a 600 visa without any problems. We booked one way flights when we came, although as mentioned previously, if you feel happier, it's not much more to book a return. We had no issue entering the country without a return ticket. I believe the 600 visa is supposed to be used by parents in our situation, awaiting a permanent visa, so I'm not sure why your agent is hesitant, unless he knows something we don't! My advice would be to spend as much time as you can over there, if you're able to.

Brenda

QUOTE=AMP;1937036956]Hi everyone

Hi everyone

Hi Angela

My husband and I stayed for nearly 2 years on a 600 visa without any problems. We booked one way flights when we came, although as mentioned previously, if you feel happier, it's not much more to book a return. We had no issue entering the country without a return ticket. I believe the 600 visa is supposed to be used by parents in our situation, awaiting a permanent visa, so I'm not sure why your agent is hesitant, unless he knows something we don't! My advice would be to spend as much time as you can over there, if you're able to.

Brenda

Hi we are very similar to yourselves, our two daughters live in NSW one of which is expecting their second child, we would need to be there before the birth to look after our little grandchild and drive our daughter before and after. We had planned on going out this Autumn if our 143 visa hadn't come through to wait on a 600 12 month visa but are now planning to go earlier due to pregnancy and complications. If the 143 visa doesn't come through in the 12 months we will just have to leave the country, we are in the process of selling up here and it seems silly to commit to renting here when we are needed in Australia but worrying what we shall do if it doesn't.

Trying not to stress, the wine helps!

Edited by nyorksgrannie
forgot to link

Hi everyone

Hi, really sorry to hear you are doing this alone it must be even more stressful, we thought we would be getting our visa by now and like you both our children (married) are in Australia. We educated them and tney are working hard there so it is hard to find that we may have to wait twice as long as was originally indicated to be with them and our grandchildren when we have proved we can support ourselves.. Due to our second grandchild being due this summer we needed to be there anyway to help as our daughter may have to be in hospital earlier, so we are going to go on a 12 month visa to cover us for however long we need to be there and if the worst happens and the 143 visa doesn't come through we will just have to leave (we will book a return ticket) but at least we will have been there for our family when they needed us. We will be homeless but will deal with that if and when we have to.

Hi Angela

Brenda

Thanks Brenda, that is helpful. Did you apply for two years on the 600 visa from the start? Can you remember roughly how long it took to process and whether it was straightforward? Presumably you were able to link into Medicare via the reciprocal arrangements but were you required to take out additional medical insurance? (Sorry for all the questions!)

I really think this may be the answer for me now. incidentally it wasn't my agent who advised against this route - it was Geoffandgills.

Regards Geoff & Gill

In short, I disagree with the comments about obtaining a 12 month visitor visa once you have applied for a subclass 143 visa.

Clients of ours have obtained this visa, and have not had any problems.

Best regards.

Thanks Brenda, that is helpful. Did you apply for two years on the 600 visa from the start? Can you remember roughly how long it took to process and whether it was straightforward? Presumably you were able to link into Medicare via the reciprocal arrangements but were you required to take out additional medical insurance? (Sorry for all the questions!)

I really think this may be the answer for me now. incidentally it wasn't my agent who advised against this route - it was Geoffandgills.

The 12 month visitor visa usually has a condition requiring taking our private health cover for the period you are in Australia.

Feel able to send a PM to me if you would like details of my contact at BUPA in Australia with a view to obtaining details of premiums payable.

Best regards.

We have done exactly this. We obtained a 12 month 600 visa with the facility that you can come and go from Australia as many times as you wish and on entry each time you will be allowed to stay from a further period of 12 months. With careful planning this will allow you 2 years in Australia. Be aware though of your tax situation if you stay in Australia for more than 6 months because you will be treated as a tax resident. A tax resident of Australia has no thresholds to off set tax and you will be paying 32.6% from dollar zero on your world wide assets, this is on earned income. If you are able to exist on your capital then fine but, any interest earned etc will be taxed by the ATO. Get professional advice about setting up a family trust and other tax matters it will save you a lot of money.

Private health care is a requirement and we are paying 270 dollars a month (sorry spanish keyboard no dollar sign) this is with BUPA. We are renting and with a rental agreement you can organise every facet of life. Having been here 4 months now we are even being offered credit cards providing we have a visa that lasts for more than 9 months.

Now we were hopeful that we have our visas by Aug 2018 that's looking increasingly unlikely so we may find ourselves in the situation where our visas run out. If that happens or is close to happening we will contact immigration for advice, I am hoping we will be able to go off shore again and re apply for another tourist visa, the last 600 visa took 11 days from submission to grant. If we are not allowed to return until we are granted our PR's we will put our stuff in storage and go house sitting in NZ.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider buying until you are residents because the stamp duty for foreigners is so high and of course there's always the uncertainty of actually getting that "Damned piece of paper".:mad:

We have done exactly this. We obtained a 12 month 600 visa with the facility that you can come and go from Australia as many times as you wish and on entry each time you will be allowed to stay from a further period of 12 months. With careful planning this will allow you 2 years in Australia. Be aware though of your tax situation if you stay in Australia for more than 6 months because you will be treated as a tax resident. A tax resident of Australia has no thresholds to off set tax and you will be paying 32.6% from dollar zero on your world wide assets, this is on earned income. If you are able to exist on your capital then fine but, any interest earned etc will be taxed by the ATO. Get professional advice about setting up a family trust and other tax matters it will save you a lot of money.

Private health care is a requirement and we are paying 270 dollars a month (sorry spanish keyboard no dollar sign) this is with BUPA. We are renting and with a rental agreement you can organise every facet of life. Having been here 4 months now we are even being offered credit cards providing we have a visa that lasts for more than 9 months.

Now we were hopeful that we have our visas by Aug 2018 that's looking increasingly unlikely so we may find ourselves in the situation where our visas run out. If that happens or is close to happening we will contact immigration for advice, I am hoping we will be able to go off shore again and re apply for another tourist visa, the last 600 visa took 11 days from submission to grant. If we are not allowed to return until we are granted our PR's we will put our stuff in storage and go house sitting in NZ.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider buying until you are residents because the stamp duty for foreigners is so high and of course there's always the uncertainty of actually getting that "Damned piece of paper".:mad:

Not quite right on the tax position: tax residents receive a tax free threshold and the 19% rate band.

Non residents are taxed at 32.5% on the first $ of certain Australian source income.

If you have a temporary residency visa (eg a visitor visa) and are a tax resident of Australia only Australian source income is likely to be taxable in Australia.

Agreed that professional advice from a tax advisor that specialises in tax issues affecting migrants to Australia is a good idea.

Best regards.

• Like 1