Guest guest36187

Could anyone possibly answer a couple of questions for me. We are looking at applying for a Aged parent (804) visa for my parents soon and was wondering when the Assurance of Support bond is required? Is it paid right in the beginning when the application is submitted? Are there any other costs involved when submitting the initial application other then the fee for the visa.. and the 1st instalment of $2960 - is that per parent or a total amount? Also do the medicals and character checks have to be done when submitting the application or at what stage?

Anyone who can assist I really appreciate it… Thanks

Could anyone possibly answer a couple of questions for me. We are looking at applying for a Aged parent (804) visa for my parents soon and was wondering when the Assurance of Support bond is required? Is it paid right in the beginning when the application is submitted? Are there any other costs involved when submitting the initial application other then the fee for the visa.. and the 1st instalment of $2960 - is that per parent or a total amount? Also do the medicals and character checks have to be done when submitting the application or at what stage?

Anyone who can assist I really appreciate it… Thanks

G'Day

The only thing payable now is the application fee (see http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i.htm). The rest (including AOS) isn't payable until the end of the process – which for a non-contributory 804 could be 10 years, I believe. (The contributory – and expensive – 143 visa takes around a year.) The same applies to medical and police checks.

Good luck, Mike

Hello all,

I got my Australia PR granted this week. And I am the only child of my parent.

Can my parent start applying 143 now?

I am confused because on immi website:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent/143/

it mentions "your child must have been lawfully resident in Australia for a reasonable period, normally two years"

So does it mean that even I am PR, I need to stay another two years in OZ, then my parent can start applying?

Can someone clarify this?

Thank you so much. :)

Hello all,

I got my Australia PR granted this week. And I am the only child of my parent.

Can my parent start applying 143 now?

I am confused because on immi website:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent/143/

it mentions "your child must have been lawfully resident in Australia for a reasonable period, normally two years"

So does it mean that even I am PR, I need to stay another two years in OZ, then my parent can start applying?

Can someone clarify this?

Thank you so much. :)

Hi there,

From the website and from looking around on many websites, I understand that for your parents (or your parent?)to apply for a 143,

1. you must be a PR or a citizen

2. AND you have settled in Oz lawfully for at least 2 years. Settle, we have to prove that by working history, children enrolling on school etc.

So, if you have settled in Oz for 2 years on another visa (such as 457 visa or something else..) and now you have just had your PR, your parents can apply for the 143 right now. You then will need to meet the AOS requirements to be the assurer for your parents as well, if not you have to have someone to be the assurer for them. That is what I understand. If someone reads this and know well about it, please confirm for us. Thank you.

In my case, i came to OZ as a student dependent, and then have been working from 2008 for a company, then got the PR by that skills on Feb 2011. I have applied 143 for my mother. I am her only child as well.

Wish that God bless us.

Cheers

Hi there,

From the website and from looking around on many websites, I understand that for your parents (or your parent?)to apply for a 143,

1. you must be a PR or a citizen

2. AND you have settled in Oz lawfully for at least 2 years. Settle, we have to prove that by working history, children enrolling on school etc.

So, if you have settled in Oz for 2 years on another visa (such as 457 visa or something else..) and now you have just had your PR, your parents can apply for the 143 right now. You then will need to meet the AOS requirements to be the assurer for your parents as well, if not you have to have someone to be the assurer for them. That is what I understand. If someone reads this and know well about it, please confirm for us. Thank you.

In my case, i came to OZ as a student dependent, and then have been working from 2008 for a company, then got the PR by that skills on Feb 2011. I have applied 143 for my mother. I am her only child as well.

Wish that God bless us.

Cheers

Thanks mengancun

I came to OZ since 2003, for study, finished high school then Uni in OZ. However, I spent a whole year (~365 days) in my home country for the last year. And I just came back to OZ last week.

Would this break the eligibility of "lawfully resident in Australia for a reasonable period, normally two years"?

Thanks.

Hey, We arrived in Australia exactly 2 years ago on a CPV 143 and what a great time we are having with our daughters and their families being so close.

Ian had 3 pensions in UK and has transferred 2 of them to an Australian super fund. We found an Australian Financial Advisor while we were still in England; he not only was very knowledgable about Australian super but he had spent 5 years working in finance in UK so was able to advise us from both sides. Ian still has one pension in UK as there are bonuses due (Hopefully!) Do take advice as there are so many advantages if you transfer. Not least that when you take the super 100% of it is tax free as opposed to 25% in UK. We decided we could wait for years for the exchange rate to improve and as we were committed to living in Australia surely it made sense to have our assets here; and of course interest rates here are so much higher. ( We are getting 6.5% on a 6 month term deposit ) If you would like the contact details of our Advisor I can PM them to you. His aim is to make enough money for us to counteract the huge cost of the Visa! Also he was not very expensive! We are in Sydney; he is in Perth but that doesn' t matter at all.

Regards Marian

Hi Marian

We have our CPV 143's and subject to our house sale hope to be leaving for the Central Coast in NSW within 6 - 8 weeks. We have taken advice in the UK and are tansferring pension to a QROPS. Could you please send us details of your Australian financial advisor.

Regards

Austin & Christine

Guest waitingtogotooz

Hi all,

So me and my OH are at the final stages of getting a 175 visa. My question(s) are:

1. Which visa can my mum and dad come out on (im one of 3 siblings)

2. Which visa can my sister try and come out on (she is 36 and her job is NOT on the SOL list)

Thanks guys

We are here for 10 weeks with family in Sydney. Making the most of the $2.50 all day (anywhere?) tickets. City, Cronulla etc

Going up to Terrigal on Sunday for a couple of days (treating to ocean view room at Crowne Plaza), hope it's worth it!

We are going house hunting from there and wondered if anyone had any recommends of where to look for realistically priced areas.

Will have to be nosy and look up in Woongarrah, as it looked so nice on Phils show!

We've been here a week now and seem to be getting acclimatised already. Is this possible, or have we not had the best/worst of the heat yet?

We will have a car so probably no further than an hour from Terrigal is the area we would be looking.

Thanks Pam

Hi im new to this forum. I am having my parents apply for normal parent visa from (offshore)...cant afford for the cpv. i have a questions, my mom is a nurse in singapore and would be happy to continue her work here..if i put her as the main applicant and then my dad would that help in anyway?

is there a possibility that later on we can transfer the applciation to cpv??

im so wanting them to be here with me :) my dad is going to be 60 and mom 56 next year..just worried about the time it may take to be granted..

Thank you.

- Mona

Hi all,

So me and my OH are at the final stages of getting a 175 visa. My question(s) are:

1. Which visa can my mum and dad come out on (im one of 3 siblings)

2. Which visa can my sister try and come out on (she is 36 and her job is NOT on the SOL list)

Thanks guys

You do not say whether one of your other sisters is already in Australia. In order to apply for a parent visa your parents will need to satisfy the Balance of Family test, ie they must have at least half their children in Oz. So if there are three of you two of you must be in Oz. There are various parent visas. Here's the link on the DIAC website to get you started:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/visa-options.htm

In reality, though the 103 Parent Visa is taking a very long time - around 15 to 20 years is being quoted so most people opt for the Contributory Parent Visa, which is not cheap.

With regard to your sister, it migh be worth posting on the general immigration site, or maybe taking advice from an agent. There is the Remaining Relative Visa, but I understand there is a wait of around 10 years for this now. Maybe someone else can help with this.

Hi all, started looking into options for my parents but getting confused with lots of conflicting information.

Would be really grateful if someone could give us the lowdown - here is our situation.

Me and my family (hubby and kids) are permanent residents and migrated almost 2 years ago

3 months after I arrived my younger sister came to join me on a working holiday visa - she is currently on her 2nd year which was granted - she has settled with an Australian Citizen boyfriend with whom she has been living with for over a year now and has just given birth to their first and only child. They have just lodged a defacto visa prior to planning their wedding next year.

My parents are currently in Australia on a 1 year tourist visa which expires in June 2012 - they have all their grandchildren in Australia now my three and my sisters newborn and dont want to leave obviously.

Are we right in thinking they cannot apply for a contributory parent visa as only I am permanent resident at the present time and as we have a brother in the UK they dont meet the balance of family test ? Does it make any difference that my sister has lodged an application and has a newborn ? If they leave the country in June is there much likelihood they could apply straight away for another long stay tourist visa ? They have proof of funds to support themselves and they currently live in a self contained annexe within my sister and her partners own home.

Is there any other visa my parents can apply for?

Mum is 58 and Dad 60. We have been speaking to a few people who have said that they applied onshore and was allowed a bridging visa until there new application was granted. Then there are others who mention aged parent visa's. My parents current visa says no further stay which I am presuming means the onshore application would not be applicable for them. Arrggh I thought getting our visa was a headache but this is proving more confusing than ever.

I have been trying to persuade them to seek advice from an Agent but Dad thinks he can just leave country apply for another long stay visa and come back couple weeks later I am worried it wont be that easy.

Any advice most appreciated

Hi there, sorry to say that your parents cannot currently apply for a CPV as until your sister has her de facto status confirmed they do not meet the balance of family test. We had very similar issues ourselves. I can only comment on this part of your question as I'm not that familiar with tourist visas and how your parents wish to use them. On a more upbeat note, one of my daughters was in a similar position and her de facto status was confirmed pretty quickly. They did need to gather a lot of evidence to show that they were in a settled relationship but once they had that it was pretty straightforward.

Cath

Hi all, started looking into options for my parents but getting confused with lots of conflicting information.

Would be really grateful if someone could give us the lowdown - here is our situation.

Me and my family (hubby and kids) are permanent residents and migrated almost 2 years ago

3 months after I arrived my younger sister came to join me on a working holiday visa - she is currently on her 2nd year which was granted - she has settled with an Australian Citizen boyfriend with whom she has been living with for over a year now and has just given birth to their first and only child. They have just lodged a defacto visa prior to planning their wedding next year.

My parents are currently in Australia on a 1 year tourist visa which expires in June 2012 - they have all their grandchildren in Australia now my three and my sisters newborn and dont want to leave obviously.

Are we right in thinking they cannot apply for a contributory parent visa as only I am permanent resident at the present time and as we have a brother in the UK they dont meet the balance of family test ? Does it make any difference that my sister has lodged an application and has a newborn ? If they leave the country in June is there much likelihood they could apply straight away for another long stay tourist visa ? They have proof of funds to support themselves and they currently live in a self contained annexe within my sister and her partners own home.

Is there any other visa my parents can apply for?

Mum is 58 and Dad 60. We have been speaking to a few people who have said that they applied onshore and was allowed a bridging visa until there new application was granted. Then there are others who mention aged parent visa's. My parents current visa says no further stay which I am presuming means the onshore application would not be applicable for them. Arrggh I thought getting our visa was a headache but this is proving more confusing than ever.

I have been trying to persuade them to seek advice from an Agent but Dad thinks he can just leave country apply for another long stay visa and come back couple weeks later I am worried it wont be that easy.

Any advice most appreciated

one other thing, they are both too young to qualify for the aged parents visa.

We are here for 10 weeks with family in Sydney. Making the most of the $2.50 all day (anywhere?) tickets. City, Cronulla etc

Going up to Terrigal on Sunday for a couple of days (treating to ocean view room at Crowne Plaza), hope it's worth it!

We are going house hunting from there and wondered if anyone had any recommends of where to look for realistically priced areas.

Will have to be nosy and look up in Woongarrah, as it looked so nice on Phils show!

We've been here a week now and seem to be getting acclimatised already. Is this possible, or have we not had the best/worst of the heat yet?

We will have a car so probably no further than an hour from Terrigal is the area we would be looking.

Thanks Pam

You sound very happy to be here in Sydney. Although I have been here on loads of visits,this is the first time I've been here in November so cannot help about whether the weather is normal or not. Agree about the amazing all day travel tickets...today I did Newport to the city then back via warringah mall..no hassle over parking and able to read on the journeys as well

Can't help re modest house prices I'm afraid....it all looks scarily high round here but I'm sure that a little further afield things are much more reasonable.....

You sound very happy to be here in Sydney. Although I have been here on loads of visits,this is the first time I've been here in November so cannot help about whether the weather is normal or not. Agree about the amazing all day travel tickets...today I did Newport to the city then back via warringah mall..no hassle over parking and able to read on the journeys as well

Can't help re modest house prices I'm afraid....it all looks scarily high round here but I'm sure that a little further afield things are much more reasonable.....

Thanks Fiz

We certainly are happy here! Such a novelty to be able to travel so easily, especially on the air conditioned transport!

How about you? Was all the hassle you had to get the visa worthwhile? Is there anything you would have done differently?

Hope you don't mind the questions?

Cheers Pam

ps Saw The Jersey Boys at the Theatre Royal today and, if you haven't already seen it, I would recommend it! This was my second visit and it was just as good this time, but it finishes in December............

I put all sorts of labels on my stuff prior to shipping and also used parcel tape to wrap things together.....I then found the labels and tape impossible to remove, especially the parcel tape. As usual I turned to Google for help and the answer is........eucalyptus oil! Its amazing...all tape residue totally gone and no damage to the wood etc

3 dollars from a pharmacy........

Brilliant, wonder if it works on irons. I noticed that someone has their CO in 9mths, if I am reading it right, thats quick. I only put my application in in July but already wondering how to pack things. I guess the company can do it for you or give advice on how to pack breakable. But everyone gets there eve ntually, good to hear how others are getting on

Moira

Hi my daughter and family live in Avoca Beach wich is near Terrigal, both are quite expensive, about 450,000 for a 3/4 bed house. If you try Erina and Kincumber near by its a little bit cheaper and also Copacobana and The Entrance. Log on to realestate.au web site and you will find loads of areas around the Central Coast.

Good Luck and enjoys your stay.

Ann.:wink:

:biggrin: SOLD THE HOUSE

Yes we have finally done it, sold the house and moved out today.

Had the removers collect our household belongings Tuesday and Wednesday and completed the sale and moved out today.

Now homeless but have a very healthy bank balance.

Things happened very quickly with only two people in the chain before us and both cash buyers so it has been very hectic and very hard suddenly having to do this very quickly.

We never believed the house would sell so quickly, about 4 months after marketing it, and at the price we got so anyone still trying to sell be positive you never know when it will happen.

Got flights booked to Cairns next Wednesday so will be landing in Oz a week today.

Even been able to use air miles for the flights.

Going to settle in/near Brisbane hopefully before Christmas with our Son, Daughter in Law and two Grand Children (plus a third on the way) initially in rented accommodation to we find somewhere to buy.

Just need the exchange rate to improve now.

Good luck to all who are still trying to sell their homes.

David

Had the removers collect our household belongings Tuesday and Wednesday and completed the sale and moved out today.

David

Congratulations!

Julie and Ian

Things happened very quickly with only two people in the chain before us and both cash buyers so it has been very hectic and very hard suddenly having to do this very quickly.

We never believed the house would sell so quickly, about 4 months after marketing it, and at the price we got so anyone still trying to sell be positive you never know when it will happen.

Got flights booked to Cairns next Wednesday so will be landing in Oz a week today.

Even been able to use air miles for the flights.

Going to settle in/near Brisbane hopefully before Christmas with our Son, Daughter in Law and two Grand Children (plus a third on the way) initially in rented accommodation to we find somewhere to buy.

David

Fantastic news....enjoy living the dream :cool:

Phoebe